PDA

View Full Version : Dateline NBC investigation: growing scams in caribbean medical schools especialy CMU

TonyIvey
08-25-2007, 06:55 PM
A case study: CMU.
Caribbean Medical School CMU scam.
The school called Caribbean Medical school with the website CMU | Caribbean Medical University - Medical School, Medical College, Caribbean Medical School, Schools of Medicine, Medical School Top (http://www.cmumed.org) that is on the island of Curaçao, Netherlands Antilles.
This school opened up in May of 2007 without any charter at all. A charter is needed to legally confer any type of degree toany graduating student. They have falsley claimed to be listed on IMED and WHO, these are listings required for any medical students to be able to take classes and the students are not eligible to sit for the USLME exams necessary before they can become licensed physicians.
Despite the lack of all these, the school is fraudulently in operation and is collecting tuition from un-suspecting students while lieing to them and giving false hopes about their dream of becoming US practicing doctors.
All efforts have been made to convince the school administrator to make ammends but he continues to tell one lie after another in hopes that these problem can be swept under the rug so they can continue to collect money from students.
THe school administrator has been confronted about all his lies, he has admitted to some and denied most, still wishing all these can be ignored so they can continue to collect money. This is fraud and this is a scam. Let us stop it now.

shayloure
08-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Can you give us the link to this article or tell when it's going to air on tv. I just want a heads up, because if they're looking at all caribbean medical schools, and my parents see this on tv, they're gonna be like "why are you going there?" And they'll group all caribbean med schools together.

rlewkowski
08-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Can you give us the link to this article or tell when it's going to air on tv. I just want a heads up, because if they're looking at all caribbean medical schools, and my parents see this on tv, they're gonna be like "why are you going there?" And they'll group all caribbean med schools together.

Dont you see he made it up?

eastern2western
08-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Dateline would probably care more about car crashes and fallen bridges than the days of lives in cmu.

TonyIvey
08-25-2007, 07:10 PM
That is what you are wishing it was, not to worry your scam has been submitted to "to-catch-a-con man" edition. Next time someone attempts to be a student it could be an undercover agent so good luck with your lies. soon you will be the face os caribbean medical school scam, I will be laughing then.

~TI

TonyIvey
08-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Dateline would probably care more about car crashes and fallen bridges than the days of lives in cmu.
Dateline to catch a con man cares about anyone who attepmts to scam american out of their hard earned money ask the africans who were on tv a few months ago, same scams differnt target. simple.

rokshana
08-25-2007, 07:13 PM

yes - obviously she or he has not been following the posts, but the post brings up a very good point and it is at the heart of the reason that all of us are posting here.

poor performance, shady dealings, and fradulant practices by ANY caribbean school TAINTS US ALL!!!!!

what if it was true, what if there was going to be some expose (and its not like there haven't been article out written every now and then about some shady school) - those schools - SGU, AUC, Ross, SABA, SMU, AUA, and so forth that have been working hard for the past- some for 30 years- to develop stallar reputation in the US, UK, and the rest of the world are all seen as the same level as CMU! ONe bad school drags us all down.

TonyIvey
08-25-2007, 07:13 PM
RL soon you will be a caribbean "celebrity" watch this space Inside Dateline : A different kind of predator (http://insidedateline.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/03/20/95321.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage)

"Your comment or rating has been received. However, due to caching and moderation, it may not be displayed right away."

rlewkowski
08-25-2007, 07:16 PM
That is what you are wishing it was, not to worry your scam has been submitted to "to-catch-a-con man" edition. Next time someone attempts to be a student it could be an undercover agent so good luck with your lies. soon you will be the face os caribbean medical school scam, I will be laughing then.

~TI

Good luck with your [edited for insults] efforts

finishingfifth
08-25-2007, 07:20 PM
I think its silly to pretend there is a dateline article, no matter how far fetched the idea may be.

TonyIvey
08-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Good luck with your pathetic efforts
You think you can target americans for scams and take students money and get away with it. when they finish with you at NBC you will become aware of the true meaning of pathetic. You should have quit a long time ago.

TonyIvey
08-25-2007, 07:26 PM
For the record this is a sample what they are going to display and they will read. and other variations with a lot more details. enoug to get started.good luck RL, see you on TV.

Please investigate this growing scams of un-accredited medical schools in the caribbean promising a medical education to US students, one school especailly that has opened up without any accreditation and is an illegal school that is still taking tuition from students knowing they will not have a chance to become doctors or a chance to practice in the US this case study is a school named caribbean medical university with webite CMU | Caribbean Medical University - Medical School, Medical College, Caribbean Medical School, Schools of Medicine, Medical School Top (http://www.cmumed.org) that is run by one individual. It has been established to be a scam and the administrator has admitted on many occasions to lieing and deceiving students, many have called for him to reform his ways and all he cares to do is to lie to cover other lies while students are being duped.
Any and most of the evidence can be found at this link http://www.valuemd.com/caribbean-medical-university-cmu/

rlewkowski
08-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Your posts qualify for Comedy Central rather than NBC.
1. un-accredited - most carib med schools are not accredited;
2. an illegal school - report an illegal school to the Government or local Police
3. knowing they will not have a chance to become doctors or a chance to practice in the US this case study - they will become doctors and will be able to practice medicine upon passing all required examinations.
4. run by one individual - that’s the funniest one,

lswiltshire
08-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Toney

You can start with the site called scam.com

The world must be told about CMU.

Keep iit in the forefront.

No STUDENTS.......NO SCHOOL

It must fold like St Lukes and Grace and others.

rokshana
08-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Your posts qualify for Comedy Central rather than NBC.
1. un-accredited - most carib med schools are not accredited;
2. an illegal school - report an illegal school to the Government or local Police
3. knowing they will not have a chance to become doctors or a chance to practice in the US this case study - they will become doctors and will be able to practice medicine upon passing all required examinations.
4. run by one individual - that’s the funniest one,

1.will you STOP with the semantics? Yes caribbean medical schools ARE accredited- by the countries that they are based in- Grenada accredits SGU, just like Dominica accredits Ross- we ALL know that IMED doesn't accredit- so get off it already.

2.well it is getting more and more obvious that maybe cmu should be- to the NA as well as the curacao gov't

3. AT THE MOMENT- your students can't- not listed with IMED not eligible to apply for certification, not able to take the steps, not able to register with eras, not able to obtain residencies in the US, therefore NOT able to practice in the US

4. ok so on the foundation register there are THREE of you-still gotta feeling the other 2 are silent (or tied up with duct tape somewhere...)

rlewkowski
08-25-2007, 08:57 PM
1.will you STOP with the semantics? Yes caribbean medical schools ARE accredited- by the countries that they are based in- Grenada accredits SGU, just like Dominica accredits Ross- we ALL know that IMED doesn't accredit- so get off it already.

2.well it is getting more and more obvious that maybe cmu should be- to the NA as well as the curacao gov't

3. AT THE MOMENT- your students can't- not listed with IMED not eligible to apply for certification, not able to take the steps, not able to register with eras, not able to obtain residencies in the US, therefore NOT able to practice in the US

4. ok so on the foundation register there are THREE of you-still gotta feeling the other 2 are silent (or tied up with duct tape somewhere...)

1. Have you ever seen a charter? Im sure not since on charters of each med schools in Netherlands Antilles including AUC, states "This document should however not be considered as a statement of accreditation of said school’s academic program."
2. I dont know what you mean
3. I agree, however as of now
4. [edited for insults] Do you believe that on the foundation docs we would have to list all employees, as of now 14?

finishingfifth
08-25-2007, 09:49 PM
1. Have you ever seen a charter? Im sure not since on charters of each med schools in Netherlands Antilles including AUC, states "This document should however not be considered as a statement of accreditation of said school’s academic program."
4. You are really pathetic. Do you believe that on the foundation docs we would have to list all employees, as of now 14?

Pathetic? She is going to be a physician in a few months (she is eligible right now, but unlike CMU, she wiill wait for the proper documentation)
You on the other hand are a low level shady businessman. You went from glorified clerk at SJMS, to the Jim Jones of Medical education, and brother, we aint drinkin the cool aid!

She will save lives, you attempt to ruin them.

She is respected by her colleagues (well, atleast this one), you are an embarassment among your brethren.

She can aptly defend herself, I just find your words and actions so abhorrent that I was compelled to comment.

stephew
08-25-2007, 10:05 PM
i highly recommend users of this thread review their posts NOW- infractions are about to be handed out for EVERY insult and will likely lead to banning in some users.

rokshana
08-25-2007, 10:23 PM
4. You are really pathetic. Do you believe that on the foundation docs we would have to list all employees, as of now 14?

seems to me THIS is a charter- and its from a school chartered by the Netherland Antillies- see it has a seal and an address and a signature on it (and i got it right off of st.eustatius's website-its quite publicily dispayed on their website.

http://www.eustatiusmed.edu/media/images/charter.jpg
Do YOU have a pretty piece of paper that looks like this for CMU or even CIU?
Yeah, I thought so....

byteme
08-25-2007, 11:46 PM
:crackingup:

You went from glorified clerk at SJMS, to the Jim Jones of Medical education, and brother, we aint drinkin the cool aid!

ROFLM(very ample)AO!

studentdoctobe
08-27-2007, 09:44 AM
:crackingup:

"Hello this is Chris Hansen with Dateline NBC please have a seat"

On a serious note, this could be one way to make some people sit up and think about their actions and deceptions.

GeorgeMD2B
09-10-2007, 04:18 PM
The big three also fudge numbers and lie about the realities of their schools too. Ross officials say their attrition is 20 percent, a friend of mine who went there said out of 400 students only 150 made it to clinical rotations. AUC and SGU also do the same but not the extreme. SGU and AUC claim that 90 percent of their students become MDs. Even a few Australian schools over tout their abilities to get US students into residencies.
That being said, buyer beware.

emt036
09-10-2007, 04:44 PM
SGU (and I believe AUC) have a 0% default rate on student loans. How do you explain that? People must be graduating and getting jobs as MD's, because you can't pay those type of loans back on $10/hour...

TonyIvey
09-10-2007, 06:29 PM
The big three also fudge numbers and lie about the realities of their schools too. Ross officials say their attrition is 20 percent, a friend of mine who went there said out of 400 students only 150 made it to clinical rotations. AUC and SGU also do the same but not the extreme. SGU and AUC claim that 90 percent of their students become MDs. Even a few Australian schools over tout their abilities to get US students into residencies.
You have to admit that a schol without a charter that markets itself and an accredited schol is nowhere near this.

GeorgeMD2B
09-10-2007, 08:48 PM
There are many students from those schools who never get a degree too or become physicians. A foreign medical school should be an ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT. I don't care what country it is in. Looking back I wish I tried to apply to DO programs.

TonyIvey
09-10-2007, 10:34 PM
There are many students from those schools who never get a degree too or become physicians. A foreign medical school should be an ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT. I don't care what country it is in. Looking back I wish I tried to apply to DO programs.
haha hindsight is always 50-50 eh?

rokshana
09-10-2007, 11:17 PM

yes, but THOSE people never got a degree through their own merit (or lack of)- they failed classes or couldn't pass the steps- NOT because they were ineligible to sit for the boards because their school was not imed listed...yes- foreign schools should be a last resort- but knowing that it is your last chance- you should do everything to get through- its med SCHOOL- not club med...

eastern2western
09-10-2007, 11:18 PM
I am sure that for every person who did not make it, there is another one who manages to get licensed. I peronally met plenty of doctors who were trained in a foreign medical country, now I am not talking countries that have never heared of USMLEs, can still manage to pass the necessary tests and get the license to practice medicine. The important thing is that medicine is exactly the same in every coutry and passing a standardize exam depends completely on the individual.

october
09-11-2007, 12:09 AM

I have been an attending physician in the usa for MANY years and am a Caribe grad.

There are many reasons people never reach their goal. Some are homesick. Depressed from a different culture. Some simply realize it is not what they really wanted or thought it was. For some the sheer volume of learning doesn't suit them.

Many change their majors in university within their home country. Still, when u consider the hurdles that many HAVE overcome and succeeded in their goals it is quite worthy.
Nowadays you don't even need to learn a new language. Many schools teach in english and gear their studies for usmle.

I have witnessed people quitting medicine prior to completing their residency. (USMG's) I have seen USMG's kicked out of residency programs for either/or incompetency, behavioral stuff, addiction.

Graduating from ANY LCME school is indeed POLITICALLY CORRECT and will make it easier to get a residency, etc,etc.

Nowadays a DO is more or less equivalent to a US MD, though after many years of legal battles by DO's and DO schools. Organized medicine pulled the same stunts attempting to discredit DO's.

The fact is many have succeeded and some haven't. That holds true in any profession, any school, anywhere.

october
09-12-2007, 06:38 AM

Hate to burst the bubble but many never even apply in the US (if that is where you r from) I will say that any grad of a lcme school has a relative "walk in the park" as far as getting into a residency. Although not ANY residency. There is quite a bit of competition among lcme grads for certain surgical subspecialties, derm, and in recent years em.

Aside from the political incorrectness in having a non lcme degree in the usa, it really isn't much of a big deal. Medicine is basically the same anywhere. Some schools may have beautifully painted and hallways, well manicured gardens, be more aesthetically appealing, but you really cant alter basic or clinical sciences.

Are you in a residency or licensed already?

DiscoDoc
09-12-2007, 08:27 AM
I think its silly to pretend there is a dateline article, no matter how far fetched the idea may be.
Exactly. Lying about a dateline article reduces you to the level of the people you're accusing of running a scam.

studentdoctobe
09-12-2007, 09:21 AM

~TI

Exactly. Lying about a dateline article reduces you to the level of the people you're accusing of running a scam.
I don't think you read through the thread COMPLETELY.

The guy never claimed there was an article, YET.

Gosh!

evilsax
09-29-2007, 01:12 AM
Dateline would love to know what happened to me. Last June I was sent a bad check which I cashed against my bank. It late bounced and I was out $3,550. I was another American victim of a scam. The name on this check is very interesting. This is ***** *********. Mr. Ivey is right about R.

evilsax
09-29-2007, 01:17 AM
Yes R signed a bad check which was sent to me. He sent the tuition of CMU students to the US where me and other duped Americans cashed it against our banks. We then sent it where we were told and then the bounced check was charged to our accounts. There are two victims-CMU students and duped Americans. Anyone who wants to know more can email me at [email protected]

eastern2western
09-29-2007, 02:02 AM
Yes R signed a bad check which was sent to me. He sent the tuition of CMU students to the US where me and other duped Americans cashed it against our banks. We then sent it where we were told and then the bounced check was charged to our accounts. There are two victims-CMU students and duped Americans. Anyone who wants to know more can email me at [email protected]
Tell me more. Are u an actual survivor of cmu or are u just faking it for sensationalism?

Scott1981
09-29-2007, 07:28 AM
Tell me more. Are u an actual survivor of cmu or are u just faking it for sensationalism?

he gave you his email, so email him. didnt sound like he wanted to get into the details on here.

eastern2western
09-29-2007, 09:25 AM
he gave you his email, so email him. didnt sound like he wanted to get into the details on here.
Dude could be a faker. I have seen enogh of those around here that I am starring to get paranoid.

spreebee
10-06-2007, 11:52 PM

There is no reason you can't become an MD anwhere after an education at the AUC or St. George... Both schools have campuses, faculty that have taught in U.S. state medical schools... You are tested at these schools... The only thing that will keep you from an M.D. is your study habits and admission mistakes... Some people at AUC for example have lower stats and still are in party mode when they hit the island.... They are the ones that don't make it. For people that want to succeed they succeed in becoming M.D.s..

dt
10-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Dude could be a faker. I have seen enogh of those around here that I am starring to get paranoid.

see http://www.valuemd.com/684894-post12.html

still questioning if the $3200 was sent to Atlanta or Northbrook, IL.

eastern2western
10-13-2007, 12:48 PM
see http://www.valuemd.com/684894-post12.html

still questioning if the $3200 was sent to Atlanta or Northbrook, IL.
well, there is another faker.

evilsax
10-13-2007, 01:15 PM
DT the check was sent to Woodstock Georgia. But the name of the woman I sent it to in Georgia-that's the same name as the person who the Northbrook address name is in.

miyar
10-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Maybe a new title:

Dateline NBC investigation: edit for tos violation.

Folks is this fake or not?

stephew
10-13-2007, 02:59 PM
The big three also fudge numbers and lie about the realities of their schools too. .

back that up. keep the sweeping simplistic opinions for your political threads.

evilsax
10-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Hey Steph what are man pants anyway? I've always wanted to ask you that one? And if everything has to be backed up by a thousand sources then can you back up your claim that you are not paid by CMU or VMD? Who does pay you?

eastern2western
10-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Hey Steph what are man pants anyway? I've always wanted to ask you that one? And if everything has to be backed up by a thousand sources then can you back up your claim that you are not paid by CMU or VMD? Who does pay you?
hey, I just think you are showing way too much paranoia.

evilsax
10-13-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm sorry if you feel that way EastWest. You seem like a good guy, I'm a good guy as well. But how would you feel after being scammed? It's easy for other people to say forget it, move on. Meanwhile that's my hard earned dough. So I'm just pursuing what leads I've got.

DOC.p
10-14-2007, 08:12 PM
moderators are not paid by any school or VMD. if you'd like to think so though, nobody is stopping you.

stephew
10-14-2007, 08:20 PM

there is a difference between proving a positive thing (you can) and a negative (you cannot). try to work that one out.

evilsax
10-15-2007, 03:23 PM
I don't think you understand the elements of proof. If someone says "CMU is a fraud" without providing evidence themselves this doesn't mean they don't have it and that they're making a baseless accusation. It may just mean that the proof of this has been offered up again and again and certain people like to pretend that they haven't seen it. As far as CMU is concerned there is no charter or accreditation and for 4 months various cheerleaders have been promising it will be in tomorrow or two weeks or two months and each of these promised dates have come and gone and no charter has come into being. Enough questions have been raised about this school by now that someone needs to provide positive proof yet everytime RL offers "proof" it is badly flawed and when you look more closely "proves" nothing. The only reason I ask about you Steph is that you seem to spend most of your time running defense for RL. If you're not being paid by him then your conduct is even more incomprehensible. It's true there are courts and police but there is also a free press, the valuemd forum, and public opinion. If there are questions about the validity of this school there is no place it belongs more than here where aspiring doctors and potential students can hear all the facts and judge for themselves. Trouble is some people are scared of them hearing all the facts.
As far as the courts are concerned it may well be that certain fraudsters will see those birght lights soon enough. No reason to jump the gun. So don't keep saying this belongs in the courts or the police station. That may come soon enough.

jameslynton
10-15-2007, 03:44 PM
stephew is like the P53 protein - she protects all on VMD.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.