PDA

View Full Version : Where are CMU clinicals?

finishingfifth
08-25-2007, 10:52 AM
Where does CMU offer clinical rotations?
Are the ACGME approved?
Does CMU have formal contracts for clinical rotations?
Will these clinicals be available for students currently in the fourth semester at CMU?

dt
08-25-2007, 11:32 AM
At my post here: http://www.valuemd.com/654130-post74.html

I was curious about the 0.03 - 1 ratio.

Does this mean there are clinical students at CMU??

rlewkowski
08-25-2007, 11:56 AM
At my post here: http://www.valuemd.com/654130-post74.html

I was curious about the 0.03 - 1 ratio.

Does this mean there are clinical students at CMU??

yes, there is one transfer student doing rotations in Chicago /he passed Step 1 but couldnt get rotations from his former school/. Another 4 starting in September /1 in UK and 3 in US/

dt
08-25-2007, 12:07 PM
yes, there is one transfer student doing rotations in Chicago /he passed Step 1 but couldnt get rotations from his former school/. Another 4 starting in September /1 in UK and 3 in US/

Well that's interesting!

This means the hospital/rotation site did not do any due diligence before accepting the student. I can see them getting sued big time if this continues.

Scott1981
08-25-2007, 12:08 PM
this doesnt answer the question which is the topic of this thread. so lets try to stay on topic.

what hospitals does cmu have contracts with? i am talking about contracts with the actual HOSPITALS not random preceptors with privileges in hospitals. solid contracts between the hospital and cmu with no middle man involved. i cannot emphasize this more, since im trying to eliminate any wiggle room to deflect the question.

RL, i know you posted a list of hospitals in the past that preceptors had privileges at, but this is a different question since i am interested in cmu-hospital contracts, NOT cmu-preceptor contracts.

second question: i noticed you said that you had a contract with a hospital in miami, which one? there are 3 hospitals in miami that have acgme residencies in a core specialty. they are miami childrens, jackson memorial, and mount sinai. is it one of those?

please try not to deflect these two important questions about your curriculum. this is a perfect oppurtunity to stop digging a hole for yourself and your school.

finishingfifth
08-25-2007, 12:23 PM
this doesnt answer the question which is the topic of this thread. so lets try to stay on topic.

what hospitals does cmu have contracts with? i am talking about contracts with the actual HOSPITALS not random preceptors with privileges in hospitals. solid contracts between the hospital and cmu with no middle man involved. i cannot emphasize this more, since im trying to eliminate any wiggle room to deflect the question.

RL, i know you posted a list of hospitals in the past that preceptors had privileges at, but this is a different question since i am interested in cmu-hospital contracts, NOT cmu-preceptor contracts.

second question: i noticed you said that you had a contract with a hospital in miami, which one? there are 3 hospitals in miami that have acgme residencies in a core specialty. they are miami childrens, jackson memorial, and mount sinai. is it one of those?

please try not to deflect these two important questions about your curriculum. this is a perfect oppurtunity to stop digging a hole for yourself and your school.

Could not have said it better! My guess is that there will never be a straightforward answer from RL.

IMG SURVIVOR
08-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Could not have said it better! My guess is that there will never be a straightforward answer from RL.

That is not true, he sometimes answers some questions in the straightforward way. The only problem is that the tough questions or the questions related to the school policies are just :-miner

Scott1981
08-25-2007, 12:31 PM

lets just wait for his answer and keep this thread as small as possible without growing. the smaller the thread, the more open the specific question posed is on VMD.

RL, this thread is open for you response.

rlewkowski
08-25-2007, 01:27 PM

The contracts with the hospitals /ACGME/ approved for core and or elective are signed under the MedOne Program. Currently 23. The contracts with preceptors are only for elective rotations.

Unfortunately I had to remove hospital names from that list, since it was a tough job to get them and other schools admins would like to try to get them. On top of that we have already lost 2 hospitals in Chicago because prospective students kept calling them and the management doest want to spend time answering the calls regarding the affiliation. They have more important things to do.

When we finalize the IMED listing and get stronger relationship with the hospitals, I will reveal the names.

If you still dont believe, wait till more of our students start the clinicals and you would be able to contact them to confirm.

1. Detroit, Michigan All Core/Electives
2. Detroit, Michigan All Core/Electives
3. Detroit, Michigan All Core/Electives
4. Miami, Florida All Core/Electives
5. Columus, Ohio Electives
6. Columbus, Ohio Core/Electives
7. Columbus, Ohio Core
8. Columbus, Ohio Electives
9. Columbus, Ohio Core / Electives
10. Cleveland, Ohio ALL Core/Electives
11. Cleveland, Ohio ALL Core/Electives
12. Cleveland, Ohio ALL Core/Electives
13. Cleveland, Ohio All Core/Electives
14. Cleveland, Ohio Core
15. Marietta, Georgia Core
16. Atlanta, Georgia Core
17. Chicago, Illinois All Core/Electives
18. Chicago, Illinois Core
19. Chicago, Illinois All Core/Electives
20. Chicago ,Illinois Core
21. Chicago, Illinois Core
22. Baltimore, Maryland Core
23. Baltimore, Maryland Core

emt036
08-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Thank you for the reply, however a couple of things I noticed:

1) Without the names of the hospitals, it becomes difficult to verify that the affiliations exist.
2) How do you have a rotation in Miami, FL without being approved by the FL Dept. of Education to conduct rotations in that state?
3) Why does your website list rotations in Oregon, Maine, Texas and other states not on this list?

finishingfifth
08-25-2007, 02:16 PM
The contracts with the hospitals /ACGME/ approved for core and or elective are signed under the MedOne Program. Currently 23. The contracts with preceptors are only for elective rotations.

Unfortunately I had to remove hospital names from that list, since it was a tough job to get them and other schools admins would like to try to get them. On top of that we have already lost 2 hospitals in Chicago because prospective students kept calling them and the management doest want to spend time answering the calls regarding the affiliation. They have more important things to do.

When we finalize the IMED listing and get stronger relationship with the hospitals, I will reveal the names.

If you still dont believe, wait till more of our students start the clinicals and you would be able to contact them to confirm.

7. Columbus, Ohio Core
14. Cleveland, Ohio Core

I appreciate the effort. There is no way to verify any of this, but at least its an answer. I doubt you would lose a contract because people wanted to ask questions. People call med. ed offcies at hospitals all the time with questions. I am very interested to see how the miami,fl rotation works. Time will tell if this is another tactic to stop all the questions and "black PR".

stephew
08-25-2007, 02:33 PM
i highly doubt that names need to be removed because other schools will swoop in. if you have a contract, its fixed. if they are real acgme accreditated rotations, the information will be out there anyway as student rotate through. you can't (and why would you want to) keep where students are doing rotations secret. I am therefore skeptical about the claim or at least the rationale. same with the notion of losing clinicals because "Students kept calling them". did you sign a contract? Then you've got no worries. the hospitals are as bound to honor it legally. And it again is a very odd rationale that a hosptial would cancel rotations because students kept calling about it.

7. Columbus, Ohio Core
14. Cleveland, Ohio Core

dt
08-25-2007, 03:38 PM
It may be a short term contract (with option for renewal?). the site may not want to renew if they perceive the school as troublesome.

anencephalic
08-25-2007, 03:40 PM

7. Columbus, Ohio Core
14. Cleveland, Ohio Core

View the CMU website here:
CMU | Caribbean Medical University - Affiliated Hospitals (http://www.cmumed.org/academics/hospitals.htm)

What about advertised clinical rotations in:

Connecticut
Kentucky
Oregon
Tennessee
Texas
Virginia
West Virginia
Wisconsin

dt
08-25-2007, 03:40 PM
RL, could you list the clinical sites outside of USA. Any in Canada? Where in the UK? Any other countries?

stephew
08-25-2007, 04:02 PM
It may be a short term contract (with option for renewal?). the site may not want to renew if they perceive the school as troublesome.

short term as in existing and expiring before students even enter the doors? A clarification about the nature of the contract might help.

finishingfifth
08-25-2007, 04:43 PM
Its time to stop the games.
Either you actually list the hospitals (my esteemed colleagues have already shown there is no reason to keep the list a secret.) or we can assume that the list is a figment of your imagination.

My guess is that no decent hospital would be so reckless as to let a non accredited & unrecognized medical school use their hospital asa a clinical training site. You may have preceptors who are willing to take money to let a guy shadow them. (you might want to do a search on how well this worked out for GMC in Atlanta), but that is not a greenbook rotation.

We are all pretty well versed in this stuff, we deal with it everyday. I am guessing that the AUC,Ross, and SGU guys in the 70's would be proud of the great rotations we have today. It took 30 years of hard work and outstanding grads to get us in, but you pulled it off in a few months!

You wont give us the list because you know we will check with those hospitals, and you will be caught in another deception.

Once again, I hope I am dead wrong, but I doubt it.

finishingfifth
08-25-2007, 04:50 PM
BTW you are still listing Penn and NJ as training sites. Just scroll down to the bottom, under US facilities. Here is the link.

CMU | Caribbean Medical University - Campus and Facilities (http://cmumed.org/about/campus.htm)

You also claim that CMU grads are "fully eligible to participate in residency training and licensure in the United Staes" Here is the link.

CMU | Caribbean Medical University - Academics - Residency Program (http://cmumed.org/academics/residency.htm)

But, without IMED you cant enter residency, and certainly get get licensced anywhere. You may be in the process of getting it, but you cant claim it right now. Its a lie.

You also claim to be part of AMSA. Here is the link
CMU | Caribbean Medical University - Life @ CMU - Student Organizations (http://cmumed.org/lifeatcmu/organizations.htm)
But a quick check of international med schools where there are AMSA chapters shows that you arent on the list. Dont beleive me? here is another link.

AMSA International Medical Schools (http://www.amsa.org/intl/listfor.cfm)

Try again RL, still tons of deception on your website.

rlewkowski
08-25-2007, 05:39 PM
View the CMU website here:
CMU | Caribbean Medical University - Affiliated Hospitals (http://www.cmumed.org/academics/hospitals.htm)

What about advertised clinical rotations in:

Connecticut
Kentucky
Oregon
Tennessee
Texas
Virginia
West Virginia
Wisconsin

These are elective rotations done through our preceptors. There are no contracts with hospitals in those states.

finishingfifth
08-25-2007, 05:47 PM
These are elective rotations done through our preceptors. There are no contracts with hospitals in those states.

Then why are they listed under "affiliated hospitals"? Also, why do you STILL claim PA and NJ rotations. And..are you affiliaited with AMSA. I am sure you will ignore me. I tend to ask questions you dont want to answer.

rlewkowski
08-25-2007, 06:07 PM
Also, why do you STILL claim PA and NJ rotations.

We wont create another section for affiliated preceptors. Where do we claim PA and NJ?

finishingfifth
08-25-2007, 06:15 PM
We wont create another section for affiliated preceptors. Where do we claim PA and NJ?

Ok, you finally changed the last place that had PA and NJ. Dont imply it was never there, the truth is known. I pointed it out, then you changed it. it's about time. I am glad our efforts forced you to change your website. I am sure you see us as a thorn in your side.

So, are you affiliated with AMSA? I dont see an answer to that question? As a member of AMSA I feel I may have to report this to my local chapter.

And how about claiming CMU grads can be fully licensed? Is that as of right now, or when you get IMED listing.

Dont answer just the easy questions, answer the hard ones too.

rokshana
08-25-2007, 06:17 PM

do remember there are screen shots taken by many of us (myself included) of your website that states all these things....

rlewkowski
08-25-2007, 06:21 PM
do remember there are screen shots taken by many of us (myself included) of your website that states all these things....

You can take as many screenshots as you want.

finishingfifth
08-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Does your school have an AMSA chapter, seems to say so on the CMU website. But AMSA says different. Just an oversight, I am sure.

dt
08-25-2007, 06:25 PM
You can take as many screenshots as you want.

Thanks for the permission.

(Post quoted for archival purpose...)

rokshana
08-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Does your school have an AMSA chapter, seems to say so on the CMU website. But AMSA says different. Just an oversight, I am sure.

AMSA member chapters

AMSA International Medical Schools (http://www.amsa.org/intl/listfor.cfm)

no CMU listed...go figure!!!! yet another lie!!!

who DOES your IT BTW RL? really they are robbing you blind cuz they are the worst IT people ever!!

AUCMD2006
08-25-2007, 08:30 PM
he still hasn't answered the florida question! if your school is not approved by the state of florida you can not do rotations there.

and as a note to prospective students: i know this from personal experince, i had to fill out the usual paperwork from the hospital i wanted to rotate at then send it to the school, they attached my malpractice insurance info and sent it to the hospital. usually this is how you set up rotations and the hospital calls you to verify dates...not in florida.

in florida the papers go from the hospital to the state of florida medical board who then verifies that your school is approved and then authorizes you to do rotations there. the hospital then called me and wanted to finalize dates and all the rotations i wanted to do.

if you do rotations in florida without approval it maybe like doing them in cali where you can be charged with assault for touching a patient?

rlewkowski
08-25-2007, 08:43 PM
he still hasn't answered the florida question! if your school is not approved by the state of florida you can not do rotations there.

and as a note to prospective students: i know this from personal experince, i had to fill out the usual paperwork from the hospital i wanted to rotate at then send it to the school, they attached my malpractice insurance info and sent it to the hospital. usually this is how you set up rotations and the hospital calls you to verify dates...not in florida.

in florida the papers go from the hospital to the state of florida medical board who then verifies that your school is approved and then authorizes you to do rotations there. the hospital then called me and wanted to finalize dates and all the rotations i wanted to do.

if you do rotations in florida without approval it maybe like doing them in cali where you can be charged with assault for touching a patient?

Let me verify florida with the Dean of Clinical Rotations, Ill post as soon as I get an answer from him.

emt036
08-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Let me verify florida with the Dean of Clinical Rotations, Ill post as soon as I get an answer from him.

Wouldn't the CEO of the medical school sign any affiliation agreements with hospitals, and therefore should know where they are?

anencephalic
08-25-2007, 08:53 PM

Will you be kind enough to verify the other states (CT, KY, OR, TN, TX, VA, WV, WI) you claim to have rotations in as well?

rlewkowski
08-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Will you be kind enough to verify the other states (CT, KY, OR, TN, TX, VA, WV, WI) you claim to have rotations in as well?

I have already explained that already. Again, in those states we have agreements with preceptors working either at hospitals or clinics.

stephew
08-25-2007, 09:01 PM
I have already explained that already. Again, in those states we have agreements with preceptors working either at hospitals or clinics.

agreements with preceptors is not a formal affilliation between school and hospital for an ACGME accredited rotation. Is this a formal affiliation between school and hosptial for an acgme accredited rotation.thank you in advance for your explicit reply to this explicit question.

rlewkowski
08-25-2007, 09:02 PM
agreements with preceptors is not a formal affilliation between school and hospital for an ACGME accredited rotation. Is this a formal affiliation between school and hosptial for an acgme accredited rotation.thank you in advance for your explicit reply to this explicit question.

I was talking about elective rotations

anencephalic
08-25-2007, 09:07 PM

Yes, but your website lists them under "Affiliated Hospitals", implying facilities with which CMU has a formal affiliation with.

Is this inaccurate?

stephew
08-25-2007, 09:08 PM
elective rotations must still be with ACGME approved rotations or many states will not give the grad credit for them. ie they then are not able to get licensed int he state. and in fact if its not a formal affiliate of the school, they cant get a licsence in some states even if it IS acgme ok'd. I find the statement that you have "approved preceptorships" for these places highly misleading to uninformed students because they will assume these rotations will necessarily count when they go seek a license from a state.

Also, its misleading because it assumes a relationship that isnt formal. For instance I did an "away elective" at mt sinai in nyc. If I understand how you are describing these "Agreements", sgu could then say they have the same relationship with Mt Sinai in NYC that you claim CMU has with these preceptors. In reality its no affiliation. Its just one doctor saying "sure, your students can rotate here". Please correct me if im wrong. thank you in advance for an explicit answer to these specific points.

AUCMD2006
08-25-2007, 09:10 PM

thanks, give the man some time and he has already answered the other questions about the other states being with preceotors only. tholugh it would help to have that stated on the website since rotations done witrh preceptors do not count towards a license

rlewkowski
08-25-2007, 09:15 PM
rotations done witrh preceptors do not count towards a license

Thats interesting, since majority of carib schools do that and have already licensed grads.

stephew
08-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Thats interesting, since majority of carib schools do that and have already licensed grads.

absolutely not true. llets proceed for a moment with the benefit of the doubt that people are confusing terms. lets define our terms then.

the word "preceptor" has no meaning with regard to the formality of a rotation. I can colloquially call any doc over seeing me a "preceptor". what matters is the formal agreement between the school and the hospital and department that these rotations happen in. So to clarify: if there is no formal affiliate with an acgme program (not just hospital- the rotation itself has to be green-booked) then the student may not get ANY credit for having done it when he goes for a licencse, whether it was a core or an elective. having clairfied our terms then, the major carib schools do NOT send their students to non-affilliates. If they did they would NOT be offshore schools to contend with. in fact all ACGME rotations (core and elective) is what made sgu and others what they are today. So, now that terms are clarified, what exactly the arrangment with cmu as I asked in the previous post.

emt036
08-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Can you name which ones? My school requires ACGME-afilliated rotations.

ind3r
08-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Cmon now guys cut him some slack, do you guys have any idea how unappealing Mr. L's institution would be if he didn't stretch the truth just a bit???

Also, Mr. L do you mind posting the letters from the hospitals that have discontinued affiliations with you due to too many prospective students calling?

Scott1981
08-26-2007, 09:07 AM
having gone through the recent process of getting an affiliation with a hospital in florida, i can with untmost certainty say that cmu DOES NOT have a affiliation with any of the 3 hospitals in miami with acgme residencies in core rotations specialties.

RL, the state of florida recently made it required that any rotation done in a florida hospital by a foreign school student has to provide froof of a hospital affiliation with their school. this is for cores and electives.

this was a rule that was always in place, but in the past (a year ago), the state took the hospital's word for it. the state did a audit and realized that they were getting duped, so they threatened all the hospitals that their will be no longer any exceptions and wants a copy of the affiliation with each student that walks through their doors regardless of how many other students from the same school just rotated there. they want redundancy.

so, in my quest to try to speed the process up for auc, i was frantically calling every hospital in the state with acgme rotations in electives and cores. i was about to be a fourth year student and was counting on returning to florida for electives.

i first contacted mount sinai, who originally was receptive to me a few months earlier before florida took this new hardcore stance. they quickly told me that although they had good experiences with students from ross and auc in the past, their hands are tied due to their legal department not wanting to sign another contract with any foreign schools. they stated that they already have too many affiliations with florida stateside schools and couldnt be obligated to save space for any foreign schools.

next i contacted jackson memorial. the lady at the education department at first didnt seem like she was well versed in the new stance by the state of florida. however, she did state that they WIILL NOT except any student whose school that is not on the florida department of independent medical education for any rotation. she said that she would get back to me. when she did, she was suddenly informed of the new rules and stated that the hospital is currently the main teaching site for UM and it CANNOT sign any more affiliations, even ones with US schools.

Scott1981
08-26-2007, 09:10 AM
so, the last hospital with acgme rotations in the city of miami was miami childrens. it was not the easiest hospital to get a hold of their education dept. the lady first asked me to make sure that i was from one of the 5 schools that florida excepts. when i said yes, she transferred me to another office. the next office said that due to recent changes in tallahassee, they cannot accept any student without an affiliation, and they only do affiliations with US schools.

Scott1981
08-26-2007, 09:24 AM
now, having gone through the florida guidelines, a student from a non approved medical school can do an "occasional" rotation (no more than 2 or 3, dont remember) in florida. however, i have gone through this song and dance with EVERY hospital in the state with acgme rotations and all of them required you to be on that list. so even though the state officially doesnt require schools to be on the list, every hospital wants you to be on it to even talk to you.

these are my experience with the miami hospitals. auc was able to secure rotations in some other florida cites, but miami seems to have shut the door on everyone after these new developments. ft lauderdale looks promising, an have been active in getting information from their medical education office. there are currently 5 schools with pending applications for an affiliation agreement. the five whose applications made the first cut and are in the legal department just happen to be the five that are approved by the state of florida.

RL, even though you have not provided a list of hospitals, due to my recent and current "adventure" in the state of florida, i can flat out say that cmu DOES NOT have any hospital affiliation in miami or the whole state for that matter in ANY hospital that is ACGME approved.

would you like to make an addendum or update your list at this time? your reply would be greatly appreciated.

edit: RL, i didnt realize you were temporarily banned. when or if you do get reinstated, i would appreciate a response.

MYMD
08-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Personally, Other then Marketing, why do these schools push so much? Look if XYZ state has this list or what ever then fine, there are so few states with this man, just pick a state that is friendly and move on, so many students are hung up on NY/Fl and Cali, man get into a US school if it's that important if not then lets go to a state that is OK with a Caribbean student.....My 2cents

emt036
08-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Personally, Other then Marketing, why do these schools push so much? Look if XYZ state has this list or what ever then fine, there are so few states with this man, just pick a state that is friendly and move on, so many students are hung up on NY/Fl and Cali, man get into a US school if it's that important if not then lets go to a state that is OK with a Caribbean student.....My 2cents
So you're saying it's ok to lie?

MYMD
08-26-2007, 10:20 AM
So you're saying it's ok to lie?
Heck NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!:(

I'm saying if a school needs rotation sites then go to a Friendly state and get them, in "Pick" I meant for students, too many want to force a state to let them rotate, yea these states will tell them to sit and......

A school that has a rotation site HAS A CONTRACT to do so, not some promise, signed paper is KING!

MYMD
08-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Heck NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!:(

I'm saying if a school needs rotation sites then go to a Friendly state and get them, in "Pick" I meant for students, too many want to force a state to let them rotate, yea these states will tell them to sit and......

A school that has a rotation site HAS A CONTRACT to do so, not some promise, signed paper is KING!

Oh a thought............ after reading (Mostly during study breaks ) I think I understand some of where RL is coming from he thinks ( I may be wrong) that words/promises/disscussions/ and so on are the same as SIGNED AGREEMENTS/CHARTER/CONTRACTS/COMPLETED Recognition-Listing and so on.... I do not think he understands many on here are posting that unwritten, unlisted and so on means that CMU does not have these things yet.

At least this is my take on all this mess.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.