PDA

View Full Version : Clinicals vs. Basic Science costs?

anomorato
08-21-2007, 01:24 AM
For those SMU students in clinicals now, do you the cost of your clinicals semesters (including housing etc..) than those while you were on the cayman island?

Thanks

WSUCougar
08-21-2007, 01:46 AM
For those SMU students in clinicals now, do you the cost of your clinicals semesters (including housing etc..) than those while you were on the cayman island?

LOL....quick!!! get a head CT because I think you're having a stroke
Translation please...

anomorato
08-21-2007, 09:01 AM
LOL.... so sorry for that, from the looks of it, i might just need a CT scan by the way I typed there, that was me trying to post a thread on here reallllly late at night...

But ya, what I meant, for SMU students, would the cost (tuition and expenses) of the clinical semesters be any less than the basic sciences?

UFTim
08-21-2007, 03:56 PM
I think tuition is now $1000 more than basic science. Pretty sad I don't know how much I pay. lol. Housing is as cheap as you can find it. We'll take NYC for example. If you're in NYC, you could find housing for cheap in certain areas or expensive if you want to live in the Upper East Side. I try to find places to live under $1000/month, but some I know do better and some do worse. It's up to your preferences and what's available for short term leases. I definitely think housing is doable for less than Cayman.

MD777
08-22-2007, 10:41 AM
tuition increase for either basic sci or clinical is a major event to all students involved. did the school official ever make this announcement in writing? this cannot be done randomly.

it will be IMPOSSIBLE to get anything under $1,000 in NYC upper east side. for a furnished studio in manhattan, it will be about $2,200-3,000 depending on the extent of amenities.

for a unfurnished studio (400-450 sq. ft) in astoria (queens, 2-3 miles to mid-town manhattan), it will run you about $1,400-$1,800 without any NYC's COSTLY utilities.

NYC HAS become an expensive city, which has been driven by the european economy. our dollar has deflated more than 50% compared to BP and about 40% EC. another example, it is sad to know that our dollar now is about 1-1 to canadian dollar. w/ the dollar deflated, costly energy cost, all the prosperity in China, Europe, and South America, i am concerned that we are becoming poorer Americans as time goes on!!!!!

I think tuition is now $1000 more than basic science. Pretty sad I don't know how much I pay. lol. Housing is as cheap as you can find it. We'll take NYC for example. If you're in NYC, you could find housing for cheap in certain areas or expensive if you want to live in the Upper East Side. I try to find places to live under $1000/month, but some I know do better and some do worse. It's up to your preferences and what's available for short term leases. I definitely think housing is doable for less than Cayman.

smu79
08-22-2007, 11:07 AM
ummm..i pay $950 a month with all utilities included. nice and safe place with a private beach.. gym, and 24 hrs secutity. if you look, you shall find.

Junito
08-22-2007, 03:41 PM
ummm..i pay $950 a month with all utilities included. nice and safe place with a private beach.. gym, and 24 hrs secutity. if you look, you shall find.

In NYC on the upper east side? :mouthdro:

Tuition was raised? I didn't receive an email, and the school site still lists the ** and CS tuition at 8,900 (plus all the other fees).

Concerning housing...I found a few places under $800 (Saginaw has tons of places below $500 a month), and others (Toledo, at a furnished luxury apartment on a short term lease) were at $1500 per month. For my last rotation I found a place for $700 a month and the site I am rotating at gives you a $500 stipend for housing (so I'm paying only $200 for 1 months rent). Some Hospitals offer you housing at low cost (under $300 in some places). This is mostly for electives though and outside NYC, and depends upon your location.

UFTim
08-22-2007, 04:42 PM
yeah, I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that there is a difference in tuition concerning Basic vs. Clinical Science. I think I'm cracking up.

Junito
08-22-2007, 05:23 PM
yeah, I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that there is a difference in tuition concerning Basic vs. Clinical Science. I think I'm cracking up.

Maybe you were inadvertently making a prediction???

Concerning costs...If you plan on doing rotations in NYC, especially electives, you will be paying more out of pocket in respect to tuition fees and housing. I have traveled a bit for my electives, Boston, Toledo, and now Saginaw. Housing is much cheaper outside of NYC (with Boston being a notable exception), and you may dodge a few extra elective fees. So far I didn't have to pay extra elective fees for almost half of my electives. Most electives in NYC will lead to extra fees being added on (with LIJH & Lenox Hill being one of the few exceptions).

So if you want to try to find the least expensive route for rotations, it seems Saginaw is the way to go. Housing is very inexpensive, no fees for electives, and avoiding any hassles associated with moving are all positives associated with this site.

got milk?
08-22-2007, 11:18 PM
are all your electives green at those locations?

Junito
08-23-2007, 12:56 AM
are all your electives green at those locations?

I only did one elective as blue, and that was pediatric cardiology at Wyckoff. The preceptor was great, so I didn't mind doing an elective rotation there. The rest of my rotations are "green".

MD777
08-23-2007, 08:25 AM
Location, location, location!!!

a shared room or a complete flat for that price? sq. ft? the best way calculate either commercial or residential real property price is by $$$/per sq. ft for both rental or buy/sale markets. that is how you compare the worldwide real estatle. then it will not compare an apple w/ an organge!!!

when we post, we should give the ENTIRE pictures presented to this forum. as future physicians, this concept is critical. any INCOMPLETE pics can be interpreted wrong, misleading, misrepresentation, or being questioned by ppl who DO KNOW the facts!!! then, it can possibly make yourself look foolish at the end!!!

MD777
08-23-2007, 08:40 AM
if SMU wants to remain in business WELL, increasing the current tuition will not be a great move. as we all know, SMU has "cayman island's comparable US life style" to be its UNIQUE point for students wanting to join this school.

now, w/ good passing rate, it will be another point for others wanting to apply to SMU. so, the bigger VOLUME of applicants can make a big difference in growing the business.

if the school increases tuition further, it can make students think twice if this route will be worthy or not along w/ the current HIGH private ed. loan interest rate!!! and, i am predicting that the int. rate will be forced to increase in 2-3 yrs for US gov. to "make" China remain the US biggest creditor w/o dumping all the gov. bonds.

Maybe you were inadvertently making a prediction???

Concerning costs...If you plan on doing rotations in NYC, especially electives, you will be paying more out of pocket in respect to tuition fees and housing. I have traveled a bit for my electives, Boston, Toledo, and now Saginaw. Housing is much cheaper outside of NYC (with Boston being a notable exception), and you may dodge a few extra elective fees. So far I didn't have to pay extra elective fees for almost half of my electives. Most electives in NYC will lead to extra fees being added on (with LIJH & Lenox Hill being one of the few exceptions).

So if you want to try to find the least expensive route for rotations, it seems Saginaw is the way to go. Housing is very inexpensive, no fees for electives, and avoiding any hassles associated with moving are all positives associated with this site.

smu79
08-23-2007, 12:00 PM
...... if i was sharing a room i would have said so, thus, no, i am not sharing a room... the apt is about 700sq ft. even if it was smaller, i would still have rented it.
Before you look foolish yourself, you better start studying for step 1, otherwise, you will fall flat in your face.

*User can't make niceies...:banned:

wh

a shared room or a complete flat for that price? sq. ft? the best way calculate either commercial or residential real property price is by $$$/per sq. ft for both rental or buy/sale markets. that is how you compare the worldwide real estatle. then it will not compare an apple w/ an organge!!!

when we post, we should give the ENTIRE pictures presented to this forum. as future physicians, this concept is critical. any INCOMPLETE pics can be interpreted wrong, misleading, misrepresentation, or being questioned by ppl who DO KNOW the facts!!! then, it can possibly make yourself look foolish at the end!!!

mbergwal
08-23-2007, 02:05 PM

Actually that is not how you compare worldwide real estate. That is how you would compare real estate w/in a specified economic center. For example, I have a 3,200 sq.ft. home in Oklahoma that would be worth about 4-5 times as much in, say, Southern California or NYC (not exact figures, of course, just making a point). So the $$$/Sq.Ft I paid would be drastically different than that of the same house in SoCal or NYC. But it is a good comparison if I were looking for another place in Oklahoma. See what I'm saying?

MedChe
08-23-2007, 05:59 PM
I only did one elective as blue, and that was pediatric cardiology at Wyckoff. The preceptor was great, so I didn't mind doing an elective rotation there. The rest of my rotations are "green".

junito..i think your finally losing it. anyways, whats green book these days? check the acgme site lately?:-devil

MD777
08-23-2007, 06:16 PM
sorry, i decided to drop out of the med school for now. i am back to my retirement and having some fun here....

by the way, i never asked or needed ONE single tutor for my ** or MS computer engineering degrees including all my med school edu. you are NOT worth a penny of mine. i think that you are bit out of the line here!!! thanks for the offer anyway.

i am indeed already flat and foolish to pay over $120,000 cash to just get some medical education/knowledge in addition to giving up my wall street job for the past 10 yrs for over $1.2 millions in total. also paid child care, child tutors, etc etc. that is some money...if you know some MATH there!!

* User can't make niceies...:banned:

what in the world are you smoking? if i was sharing a room i would have said so, thus, no, i am not sharing a room... the apt is about 700sq ft. even if it was smaller, i would still have rented it.
Before you look foolish yourself, you better start studying for step 1, otherwise, you will fall flat in your face.

p.s. and no, i would not tutor you as previously requested.

wh

smu79
08-23-2007, 08:18 PM
not to be rude, but if you want i can post the pm you send me a while back begging me to tutor you for step 1. you dont need to be shame...

i saved the pm for moments like this!

sorry, i decided to drop out of the med school for now. i am back to my retirement and having some fun here....

by the way, i never asked or needed ONE single tutor for my ** or MS computer engineering degrees including all my med school edu. you are NOT worth a penny of mine. i think that you are bit out of the line here!!! thanks for the offer anyway.

best of luck!!! let's see how you make out in few years. i know where to look it up for your employment. i have few friends working in wyckoff & NYC's hospitals. so, i will make sure that they watch out for you!!!

i am indeed already flat and foolish to pay over $120,000 cash to just get some medical education/knowledge in addition to giving up my wall street job for the past 10 yrs for over $1.2 millions in total. also paid child care, child tutors, etc etc. that is some money...if you know some MATH there!!

rynobuddy
08-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Not to get involved in this pissing contest, but MD777, no gives damn what you claimed to make on Wall street. No harm in admitting you will not be able to pass the step.

MD777
08-24-2007, 12:24 AM
who knows!!! since i decided to drop out...so, NO ONE would know what the outcome will be, since i am so happy to have learned the medicine. so, when my friends & family & i run into you guys, i can teach them to suit you for the heck, since you have so much to write this garbbage but not focusing on your training!!!

will you pay for me to complete my 5th in miami and step 1 exam, so we can find out if i can pass the exam? thanks in advance.

best of luck to you too!!!

Not to get involved in this pissing contest, but MD777, no gives darn what you claimed to make on Wall street. No harm in admitting you will not be able to pass the step.

MD777
08-24-2007, 12:37 AM
i was trapping you by using & playing with your ego there!!! i am more complex than you ever thought about!!! i have crossed more bridges than you have walked on the roads. if you care to know, ask around.

i did not study that much, but i spent so much time to make money since i have been in med school. last yr, i made over 6 figures ALONE for year 2006 and am paying taxes this AGAIN. i hate it, but that is our great US tax system.

i am glad that i walked out DEBT FREE and had no need to sell any of my assets. there are many ppl that i am grateful, including our Dean, many teachers, and some of my great classmates that believe in me. i am always in debted to these ppl!!! if it was them, i would not have done it alone.

sorry!! young fellow, focus on your life and make yourself worth something some day!!! you want to have your great names to be heard!!! then, you call yourself a success.

i am not shamed of anything. remember all people only want to PAY competent ppl that are humble, kind, but not mean and abusive ones. if you hold this concept, you will have endless money coming to your doorstep and never have to worry about money for the rest of your life. you shall see it soon!!! it is up to you how you want to have your life.

let's end this writing. best of luck to you!!!

not to be rude, but if you want i can post the pm you send me a while back begging me to tutor you for step 1. you dont need to be shame...

i saved the pm for moments like this!

smu79
08-24-2007, 09:38 AM

You are making it seem like money equals success. I am sure mother Theresa and Gandhi will agree with you.

Good Luck, and hopefully you won’t quit on life....

*User can't make niceies..:banned:

rynobuddy
08-25-2007, 02:52 PM
MD777,

Pretty sure I have a good idea who you are, ......

User can't play nice...:banned:

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.