PDA

View Full Version : yet another vaccination/titer question

ghanngmgirl
08-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Hi-

I showed my vaccination record (i.e. "proof") directly from my pediatrician and subsequently family care physician--- but yet, they still are asking for titers.

I know for a fact that some students, who showed proof of vaccination, were exempt from having to get titer levels.

Also, again- another fact-- is that a friend of mine was given permission to begin clinicals eventhough she has JUST STARTED her Hep B series... what gives?!

Can anyone let me know if this was the case for them?

I am just sick of this run-around...

finishingfifth
08-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Just get the titers, every rotation (including electives at outside hospitals) has wanted them. In fact, my PPD was in oct of 2006, and my next rotation wanted me to get a new one. That way my PPD wouldnt be over one year old during my upcoming rotation. Best bet-have proof of everything and keep several copies for yourself.

WSUCougar
08-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Just be safe and get the titers, sometimes even though you had the vaccines you could not be immune, so you would have to get the series done again. Plus you get your results in just about 2 days so just do it and get it over with. The school handbook states that if you haven't had your Hep B series yet, then you need to show proof that you are currently getting them and then you can start clinicals.

UFTim
08-20-2007, 04:24 PM
I can understand having frustration because obtaining titiers is $$$

XLNC
08-20-2007, 04:25 PM
Whats the point of titers if you just start a hep B course??? makes no sense.. Titers will most likely only come back positive after you receive your 3rd shot..

On the other hand.. proof of MMR is not good enough, you should have titer levels for MMR.

Baditude
08-20-2007, 05:00 PM
For those of you in clinicals already why do we need a new polio vaccine? All children in the US are vaccinated already.

Junito
08-20-2007, 10:48 PM
For those of you in clinicals already why do we need a new polio vaccine? All children in the US are vaccinated already.

I thought showing proof that you received the vaccine was sufficient...Concerning the titers, like everyone stated previously get it done quickly. I believe some hospitals offer students a discount (i.e. Wyckoff).

cheechnchong
08-23-2007, 04:30 AM
Can someone tell me when you should have the titers done... someone told me after fifth semester, now someone else is telling me before fifth semester, thanks.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.