siheg
08-19-2007, 03:09 PM
Can I get into SMU with 2 C's in Chem 1 and 2? Thanks

acetre
08-19-2007, 05:13 PM
yes...I did...and I'm about to finish smu in Jan.---acetre

drJane23
08-19-2007, 06:02 PM
yes you can. but make sure you don't have any failing grades. they only take C's or higher. if you get any D's in your premed classes, you must retake them.
so apply...goodluck!

gschneid
08-19-2007, 06:14 PM
there's a lot more than grades that they look at in the application. so make sure the rest of it is straight and i wouldn't worry too much. i had a bunch of C's and i made it in

ausmil
08-19-2007, 08:22 PM
How about 1 C- in my Ochem II class. I also have a crappy MCAT of 15R?

Is there even a chance? My overall is a 3.4 and my science is around a 2.9-3.0?

Thanks in advance

gschneid
08-19-2007, 08:45 PM
i'd retake that mcat if i were u

ausmil
08-19-2007, 09:13 PM
I know I should retake......All I am wondering is if it is possible?

drJane23
08-19-2007, 09:36 PM
I dont think so. that is a really low score. i've heard students getting the lowest of an 18 or 19. not a 15! if i were you i would retake it one more time and then apply. Goodluck buddy:D

finishingfifth
08-19-2007, 09:49 PM
How about 1 C- in my Ochem II class. I also have a pooppy MCAT of 15R?

Thanks in advance

Really, a 15? You may want to re-evaluate your career choice. The world needs podiatrists too.

JTP73
08-19-2007, 10:41 PM
Really, a 15? You may want to re-evaluate your career choice. The world needs podiatrists too.The GPA is solid, even at an easy college/university. Perhaps it was anxiety or a bad day or some other issue. My advice: call and speak with admissions. Ask them what makes an ideal candidate versus a borderline one. If you want to be a physician, there's a way to do it. Find out what needs to be done and try to do it. Stay focused, and don't let the naysayers get you down. You will need to take many standardized tests throughout a medical career -- so figure out what you need to do to get by those exams.

Diva
08-20-2007, 08:09 AM
yes...I did...and I'm about to finish smu in Jan.---acetre

4 yrs ago they were more willing to accept just about anyone.

i know someone who was rejected recently. And it wasnt bc the class was full

finishingfifth
08-20-2007, 08:14 AM
The GPA is solid, even at an easy college/university. Perhaps it was anxiety or a bad day or some other issue. My advice: call and speak with admissions. Ask them what makes an ideal candidate versus a borderline one. If you want to be a physician, there's a way to do it. Find out what needs to be done and try to do it. Stay focused, and don't let the naysayers get you down. You will need to take many standardized tests throughout a medical career -- so figure out what you need to do to get by those exams.

I have a hard time beleiving a canidate with a 15 will eventually be able to pass all steps of USMLE (the exception to this being someone who was educated abroad and has poor verbal scores). Maybe it was anxiety, but this score has to be well below the 20th percentile. Maybe I will be proven wrong, but I doubt this student has much of a shot at long term success as an MD. My advice : study like a madman, get it above atleast 23-25. If you do that, you are solid.

Aggiemd2b
08-20-2007, 08:44 AM
Just a guess but I say English is not the OP's first lang and the verbal was the problem on the MCAT. If this is true maybe you can work on English reasoning at a community college etc. Good luck!

siheg
08-20-2007, 01:12 PM
FYI- The OP (mellsworth21) did not recieve the 15. I had a quary about my 2 C's. (Which additional FYI is now 1 C and 1 B due to my prof allowing me to retake a LOW grade on an exam) Cheers

WSUCougar
08-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Can I get into SMU with 2 C's in Chem 1 and 2? Thanks

you shouldn't have a problem, as long as your overall is around the 3.0 mark. especially if you have any clinical experience. Because as others have mentioned, there's more to your app then grades. But if you're worried about those two C's, I'm guessing that your other grades are a lot better.

How about 1 C- in my Ochem II class. I also have a pooppy MCAT of 15R?

You shouldn't have a problem getting in as long as you get a higher MCAT. With the new MCAT system, its now offered every 3 months, so you should have no problem retaking that exam. Somebody mentioned that your language is probably not English, well the R you got on the writing portion seems to contradict that. You know what your weak spots were, so just study those and retake the exam. I know it is a tough exam, but we'll be taking these standardized tests throughout Med School so you should get used it. When I took the MCAT, 3 girls stormed out bawling their eyes out, so it can be stressful... but it is doable.

PS, a guy I know got an 18 MCAT, 3.0 cumulative, 2.9 Science, with no Clinical experience or volunteer work and got denied. He applied for the fall class in March.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.