PDA

View Full Version : Third Year Clinical Rotation Approved Sites

pselwyn7
08-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Okay folks, I know what the word approved means, but in context, what does it really mean on the following page http://www.stmatthews.edu/download/rotation-sites.pdf
where it reads, "SMU Approved?" Can SMU approve sites for rotation? I am only asking for clarity because “SMU Approved” is listed side by side with ACGME on the above page. I am not trying to stir up any negatives here, but I was thinking that if SMU can approve hospitals for rotations then why do we even bother going to ACGME ones, I am only assuming here that “SMU approved” sites are as good as ACGME sites and would pose absolutely no problems for students later down the road. Any comments or clarifications would be appreciated.

Thanks all :)

rokshana
08-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Okay folks, I know what the word approved means, but in context, what does it really mean on the following page http://www.stmatthews.edu/download/rotation-sites.pdf
where it reads, "SMU Approved?" Can SMU approve sites for rotation? I am only asking for clarity because “SMU Approved” is listed side by side with ACGME on the above page. I am not trying to stir up any negatives here, but I was thinking that if SMU can approve hospitals for rotations then why do we even bother going to ACGME ones, I am only assuming here that “SMU approved” sites are as good as ACGME sites and would pose absolutely no problems for students later down the road. Any comments or clarifications would be appreciated.

correct me if i'm wrong, but it probably means that rotations done there are ok with smu for completion of your requirements and graduation.

you still need to doublecheck with your state's medical board about what are their particular requirements.

WSUCougar
08-16-2007, 10:06 PM
SMU approved sites are not equal to ACGME sites. Check with your licensing board in your state to see what their qualifications are, but more than half of the states require you to do your rotations at ACGME sites. To be safe I'm only going to do ACGME sites so that I don't have to worry about the licensing problems. A hospital could have both ACGME and SMU approved rotations, its just that the hospital will have residency programs which make it ACGME certified in some rotations, while in others they don't have residency programs associated with them, so therefor they are only SMU approved.

MDTOB
08-16-2007, 10:07 PM

SMU approved clinical sites are NOT the same as ACGME (Green Book) sites! Being "SMU approved" simply means that you will be given credit for those specific rotations. However, this may present some licensure problems depending on which state you want to practice in. To play it safe, do ALL ACGME rotations, that way you'll be covering your a**!

Good luck:)

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.