PDA

View Full Version : drop/failure rate in Gdansk (?)

dsw
08-16-2007, 02:45 PM
What is the drop out rate in Gdansk? I am not very confident in my chances to pass through (though I was admitted).
Please tell me what is the killer subject in the Gdansk 6-yr program in the first 2 years. What type of students are those who fail? How many hrs per day or week it takes to study to pass in Gdansk? Do they weed out students easily in Gdansk?

LesniowskiCrohn
08-16-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm not sure I read this enough times. Perhaps one more thread?

Narcan
08-17-2007, 02:01 AM
You might be too nervous to live in Poland.

dsw
08-18-2007, 02:00 PM
You are right, Narcan. I am nurvous.
But I've been nurvous about the academia side of it. Of which I still Have not heard anything yet (?!)
But now there is new dimention to it; being nurvous about live in Poland.
Can you please eleborate on this one please?

Narcan
08-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Try reading the old posts. I think all your questions have been asked before. Use the search.

Medschoolboy
09-02-2007, 01:19 PM
The drop out rates are high in gdansk. This is because the program is very tough. The school in general is very good although it lacks some administrative values .

sedeki
07-24-2008, 07:09 AM
What is the drop out rate in Gdansk? I am not very confident in my chances to pass through (though I was admitted).
Please tell me what is the killer subject in the Gdansk 6-yr program in the first 2 years. What type of students are those who fail? How many hrs per day or week it takes to study to pass in Gdansk? Do they weed out students easily in Gdansk?

Hello! I am also admitted (I am a Swede).

The killer subject is supposedly anatomy which we begin the first year. I have heard that the failure rate is 70% (!). So many students take their summer vacation to study anatomy, and take a retest during it too.
Other supposedly hard subjects are histology and physiology.

These are the killer subjects independent of med school, so I've heard.

I have also heard that some students fail even if they read a lot. But I think if we help each other (which we'll probably do) then there shouldn't be THAT much trouble, relatively speaking.

I've begun reading anatomy right now just to prepare myself...
I can help you with what books are going to be used if you're interested.
Send me a PM.

I've heard that they'll "kick you out" if you fail 3 tests... But in practice I really don't think there should be a problem.

Cave
07-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Hello! I am also admitted (I am a Swede).

The killer subject is supposedly anatomy which we begin the first year. I have heard that the failure rate is 70% (!). So many students take their summer vacation to study anatomy, and take a retest during it too.
Other supposedly hard subjects are histology and physiology.

These are the killer subjects independent of med school, so I've heard.

I have also heard that some students fail even if they read a lot. But I think if we help each other (which we'll probably do) then there shouldn't be THAT much trouble, relatively speaking.

I've begun reading anatomy right now just to prepare myself...
I can help you with what books are going to be used if you're interested.
Send me a PM.

I've heard that they'll "kick you out" if you fail 3 tests... But in practice I really don't think there should be a problem.

You won't get kicked out if you fail 3 times but since Anatomy is a very important course and you really need to know it before you can move on to the next year, you will have to do the whole course again next year if you fail it. Meaning you will spend one year with only anatomy and if you make it then you can go on to the second year studies the next year.

The drop rate that you mentioned is only for the first test, I can't imagine that many failing the whole course. Itīs true many must study hard for the retake and there are those who don't make it and have to take a whole year for only anatomy.

Santhosh Varma
05-15-2009, 06:21 PM
so is it advisable to join the uni or not and are all the exams written ones or not

Eternalstudent
05-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Depends what your other options are. Gdansk is definitly one of the lower rated schools. you could do much worse but it ain't Krakow or Warsaw. IMHO a written exam is more fair than an oral check because you have more time to think and to organize your answer. It's also more fair that way because even if the prof doesn't like you everybody gets the same questions. On oral exams you will inevitably run into pricks who will fail you on whim, making you retake the test multiple times before they eventually pass you. I'm not saying all the profs are going to be like that, but the bad apples you can't get along with can make your life very stressful. On the other hand with the money your paying they'll probably overlook minor gaps in knowledge you as long as you generally know your stuff.

Edit: On the flip side if the prof loves you he'll give you easy questions on an oral exam. This sounds good until you realise this is actually screwing you over. you might get an excellent grade because the prof gave you an easy question on the oral, but when you write any kind of serious external exam ie USMLE you'll realize how ill prepared you really are

ttmillerjr
05-23-2009, 03:18 AM
So this school teaches in English correct?

anuruddha1982
07-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Yes, thats right. The course still has a few things it needs to iron out, but on the whole its pretty good. However, you do need to be prepared to work very very hard, as the tests are by no means easy! I'd definitely recommend anyone to do some background reading, as things are done very differently to most countries!

USGdanskMed
08-01-2009, 08:32 PM
I was told by a Polish professor at the University that the drop rate for Polish students is about 30% for the 1st year and it drops significantly after that. I have also heard from a few of my friends who have completed MD/PHD's at Gdanks and at Poznan that the programs are pretty good especially considering that you are givien the opportnunity to do research and publish with some of the professors at the both schools.
With hard work you will be fine for sure. Hope this helps.

anuruddha1982
08-09-2009, 08:44 PM
I'd say the drop-out rate for our year group was less than 10%, but yes, as you progress through the years, the drop-out rate decreases, because by that time, they would've weeded out a lot of students!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.