PDA

View Full Version : Polish Residency Match Rates in U.S.

FORUM9351
08-15-2007, 07:42 PM
To my understanding roughly 50% of US foreign medical school graduates do not land a residency. This is a very vague statistic considering all the medical schools in the world. I heard Ross and a couple other Caribbean schools had a residency match rate of about 85%. My question is: Where do Polish medical schools like Warsaw, Krakow, and Poznan stand? Anyone know a link for this specific information? I couldn't find any rates on Poznan, Warsaw and Krakows websites...

(I understand that there are many factors that go into residency matches. (USMLE, etc.)

Rotten
08-15-2007, 08:28 PM
To my knowledge, official, published match lists for polish schools do not exist as they do for Ross and SGU. To get this information, I would do a search for the school's name and the specialty of your choice in the same string and see what it turns up. For example the google search "internal medicine, jagiellonski" will turn up graduates who are now in a variety of programs, ranging from community programs to well respected centers of academic medicine (Pitt, VCU, etc.)

One should also note that a residency site usually will not delinate between whether or not a member of staff attended the polish or english programs .. but all else equal (USMLE's, recs), I'd say it probably doesn't matter.

Hope this helps ..

NitrousOx2009
08-16-2007, 11:26 AM
Even if the data was available it would be skewed. Remember that the vast majority of students enrolled in the english programs in Poland are not US citizens nor interested in doing residency in the US. They go back to their respective countries.

FORUM9351
08-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Even if the data was available it would be skewed. Remember that the vast majority of students enrolled in the english programs in Poland are not US citizens nor interested in doing residency in the US. They go back to their respective countries.

You're right. Didn't consider that, thanks.

Narcan
08-16-2007, 01:44 PM
There are also a fair number of deadbeats that will never practice.

dsw
08-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Dear Narcan or ANYBODY,

Who are in your opinion the "deadbeats, or those who will never practice", as referred to in your post?
Aren't those dropped out in the study process?
What is the drop out rate, specifically in Gdansk? I am very skeptical about my chances to pass through (though I was admitted).
Please tell me what is the killer subject in the Gdansk 6-yr program in the first 2 years. What type of students are those who fail? How many hrs per day or week it takes to study to pass in Gdansk? Do the weed out students easily?

Nit1985
08-17-2007, 03:37 AM
A lot of the medstudents from Norway go to Poland and then return home. Im sure its the same with the Swedish students. The thing is, when you return to Norway, you need to apply for a 1 years residency which is called; turnustjeneste. Those residency spots are very limited and are, correct me if Im wrong, based upon pure lottery. It might even take you 1 month to 1 year to land a good residency spot. So I've heard a lot of students go to UK, Sweden, Denmark or other places.
Its like NitrousOx (http://www.valuemd.com/../members/nitrousox2009.html) said, a lot of the medstudents in Poland come from other countries, such as Norway, Sweden and maybe Denmark? Not quite sure about the last one...

And dsw, don't know how many times I'll say this but; Medschool is NOT EASY. If you plan on to go to Poland just because you think its easy, then your in for a surprise. Im going to apply for Warsaw and Jag next year when I finish my high school. And I believe that if you show dedication and are hard working, then you will manage to pull it off.
Btw, "killer subject"?, I talked to one of the students at Jag, and he said Biophysics wasn't easy. But then again, nothing in medschool is. On second thought, maybe physical exercise is, in comparison to Anatomy, easy?=P

dsw
08-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Nit1985 has said: "On second thought, maybe physical exercise is, in comparison to Anatomy, easy?=P"
I have no clue, Nit1985, what you mean by that. Would you explain?

Nit1985
08-19-2007, 10:32 AM
For the first 3 years of the 6 year md program, you must have a minimum of 2 hours of exercise. I've heard that you can choose between some sports or just simply running.
I only said that PASSING this class, is MUCH easier than getting a top grade in Anatomy.
Simple as that.
And btw, Ive heard Anatomy the first 2 years (pre-clinical) is hard. But it might be different from individual to individual, I atleast think the subject is very exciting!

Edit: By 2 hour min, that is per week.

Savior
08-19-2007, 02:20 PM
For the first 3 years of the 6 year md program, you must have a minimum of 2 hours of exercise. I've heard that you can choose between some sports or just simply running.
I only said that PASSING this class, is MUCH easier than getting a top grade in Anatomy.
Simple as that.
And btw, Ive heard Anatomy the first 2 years (pre-clinical) is hard. But it might be different from individual to individual, I atleast think the subject is very exciting!

Edit: By 2 hour min, that is per week.

The physical exercise classes are only for the 1st year, and Anatomy is also only for the 1st year, atleast in Warsaw (pretty sure all other polish univ read anatomy for the 1st year)

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.