PDA

View Full Version : hurricane watch

2cr8tive
08-15-2007, 04:07 PM
what's a good website to follow up on hurricane for cayman islands and jamaica

thanks

Diva
08-15-2007, 06:06 PM
I just found Caribbean Hurricane Network - stormCARIB.com - Local Reports on Tropical Systems threatening the Caribbean Islands (http://www.stormcarib.com)

along with this message
Wednesday August 15, 2007, 9:45M EDT - More south
Just a short note... Dean is forecasted to go more south then earlier anticipated. A big sigh of relief for the northeastern islands, like Antigua, St.Maarten, the Virgin Islands, etc. However, it is bad news for the more southerly islands. Right now Dean is expected to cross the island chain at Martinique. The eye is expected to be there Friday night, with tropical storm winds starting in the afternoon.
Although still just a tropical storm it is expected to become a strong hurricane in 5 days. By that time it should have crossed the island chain already. However, it is forecasted to move towards Jamaica and the Cayman Islands. It is still a bit early since models aren't that accurate that far away in time, but people over there should take notice. Below some 'closest points of approach' (CPA, in miles) for the islands in Dean's path. You can calculate your own with the How close can it get-tool (http://stormcarib.com/closest4.htm), also listed above. -Gert

Island CPA (m) Time of CPA
Martinique: 0.5 Friday, August 17 at 8:54PM EDT
St.Lucia: 56.1 Friday, August 17 at 8:00PM EDT
Dominica: 58.9 Friday, August 17 at 10:48PM EDT
Barbados: 81.7 Friday, August 17 at 1:42PM EDT
St.Vincent: 101.2 Friday, August 17 at 8:24PM EDT

Oluchi
08-15-2007, 08:55 PM
LOCAL UPDATES!

Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:43:09 -0700 (PDT)Dear All
After listening to local radio at 5pm, they are advising that TS Dean will turn into a hurricane either late tonight or early tomorrow morning. With this they advise we get prepared but no guarantee that it will hit! However it will be in the area of Jamaica on sunday and Grand Cayman on monday. They also advised that at the present moment we are not under any warnings or watches but could be by the weekend.
I am thinking of all the islands in the Lesser Antilles as you will feel it first. Be safe and get prepared.

Chat again soon,
Helenhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/14.gif
I read this at 8:52 pm on at Cayman Islands - Local Reports (Caribbean Hurricane Network) (http://www.stormcarib.com/reports/current/cayman.shtml)

MDXRS22
08-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Jesus! I hope it stays away from STKITTS.

UFTim
08-15-2007, 11:02 PM
I always like to check where the info comes from--NOAA.
National Hurricane Center (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/)

WSUCougar
08-16-2007, 12:43 AM
makes me feel better about taking out my life insurance policy a month ago. ;)

Diva
08-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Ok so now that they are predicting a category 4 hurricane to hit cayman directly....what s the next step?
in the event that it does hit the island will the school close? postpone starting date?

azulpanther
08-17-2007, 12:11 AM
The school called a mandatory emergency hurricane meeting for all those on the island Saturday after 5 pm. this meeting is taking place tomorrow friday at 4 pm.

If the hurricane hits this weekend, it shouldn't postpone the start of the school which is in 2 weeks. Lets all hope if and when Dean hits it wont be stronger than a cat 3 .

LqdPls
08-17-2007, 12:24 AM
The weather channel predicts the storm to intensify to a category 4, but follow an almost identical path as hurricane Emily in 2005. If I remember correctly, Emily rattled the Caymans a little, but the center passed a few hundred miles south of the islands.

Furthermore, the storm is moving at 25 mph, which is considered fast. If it passes at this speed the force of the winds and the intensity of the rain will not be as great.

AmericanIMG
08-17-2007, 01:59 AM
emily was nothing, neither was dennis before that. hopefully it wont take the turn that ivan did

:(

WSUCougar
08-17-2007, 03:19 AM
I wonder how this is going to affect everybody's plan on moving here. I plan on coming the 25th, which is next Saturday. :shock:
It should hit there and be gone by then right????

Future MD | DM erutuF
08-17-2007, 04:46 AM
I wonder how this is going to affect everybody's plan on moving here. I plan on coming the 25th, which is next Saturday. :shock:
It should hit there and be gone by then right????

yea, but you never know when another one may form.

Britimg
08-17-2007, 06:08 AM
do we normally have hurricane pass through cayman? i know ivan went right through it but generally speaking, do we normally have hurricanes or tropical storms coming right for us?

smu79
08-17-2007, 09:07 AM
YES, all the time. when i was there we had about 3 or 4 in the same season

drJane23
08-17-2007, 10:51 AM
hopefully all goes well and the hurricane doesnt affect the cayman islands. i'll be arriving there next week on the 24th(friday).

Diva
08-17-2007, 10:58 AM
The diving should suck after Dean....now what am i gonna do for the week??? Hmm...exploring the island it is.
I was hoping to log in at least 4 or 5 dives.....

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.