- additional information explaining the basis for the finding of
irregular behavior and the resulting action will accompany every ECFMG
Status Report and CVS Report and may also be provided to legitimately
interested entities; and

- the decision will be reported to the Federation of State Medical
Boards Board Action Data Bank, state medical licensing authorities,
directors of graduate medical education programs, and to any other
organization or individual who, in the judgment of ECFMG, has a
legitimate interest in such information.

Furthermore, ECFMG may:

- bar an individual from exams; and

- withhold or revoke a Standard ECFMG Certificate.

In recent years, the ECFMG Medical Education Credentials Committee has
made a determination of irregular behavior in 12 cases based upon the
submission of either altered or wholly fabricated letters of
recommendation. In 11 of these cases, the applicant's Standard ECFMG
Certificate was revoked. Since these individuals are no longer certified
by ECFMG, they are not eligible to participate in an accredited
residency program in the United States and are not eligible to take
USMLE Step 3.

In an effort to address the issue of fraudulent letters of
recommendation and align the ECFMG ERAS document policies with those
established for U.S. medical graduates, ECFMG requires all international
medical students and graduates participating in ERAS to submit original
letters of recommendation. These letters must be written on official
institutional letterhead and manually signed by the letter writer in an
ink color other than black. For enhanced authentication, applicants are
advised to request the letter writer to affix an institutional seal to
the letter of recommendation.

ECFMG makes a visual inspection of the letters when they are received to
determine if they are originals or copies. If ECFMG determines that a
letter of recommendation is a copy, the document will be stamped to
indicate that it is a copy before it is made available to program
directors. Refer to the letter of recommendation requirements on the
ECFMG ERAS website for more information on this policy.

Directors of residency and fellowship programs are responsible for
verifying the authenticity of letters of recommendation. In most of the
recent cases reviewed by the ECFMG Medical Education Credentials
Committee, the fraudulent letters of recommendation were detected by
program directors attempting to verify the letters' authenticity.

wcb22
07-18-2007, 07:47 PM
yikes, harsh punishment.

but, when you think about it though, 12 letters, in the last few years means 30,000+ applicants times x number of years, times 3 letters, you're talking about only around 12/100,000+, but

MDXRS22
07-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Holy Krup! That's a thrilling punishment!

Scott1981
07-18-2007, 08:26 PM
good, they deserve it. the punishment is completely warranted. its hard enough in the match as a IMG. i shouldnt have to compete with people who cheat to spruce up their application. i consider people who send in fraudulent LORs on the same level with people who flat out cheat on the USMLE.

wcb22
07-18-2007, 09:34 PM
no you are right, the punishment is severe enough to make people reconsider what they are doing. but what about the situation where a real attending physician did write your letter, and you already saw it, (and it was good), but you still want to put on there that you've waived your right to see it. it is proper for you "to waive" your right to see it, and if you do not waive your right, a lot of programs won't even consider the letter.

now if someone looses their entire career over so small an act, i would think the crime does not fit the punishment.

IMG SURVIVOR
08-01-2007, 09:13 PM
This needs to be a stiky.
IMHO

kparikh82276
08-05-2007, 09:12 PM
I think this is just another way of ECFMG and ERAS to make money.

need to know who governs the ECFMG and ERAS, it seems that they dictate and we listen. How the hell is that suppose to work.

Notice that all the changes are for Foreign graduates, not the American graduates. what's up with that.

ERAS is for all students isn't it?

So are the American students need to go through this hassle also?

the RODs forum, states there is a fee to get your documents back. 1st they force us to send them the original and then we have to pay to get them back, why can't it work the way it used to work. why do they make things harder for the FMG/IMG's

There has to be some regulations here there should be no partiality on this.

if this is for the American students as well then i would not complain, but this seems biased.

Any input to clarify will be greatly appreciated.

kparikh82276
08-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Just wanted to get peoples feed back.

Anyone else feel that the new policies implemented by ERAS regarding LOR's and them being originals etc. to be a bit inconvenient.

Example, a friend of mine sent in his originals. They require that you fill out the RODs to get them back (BTW there is a fee for that also) Since he didn't do that they simply shredded them.

ERAS and ECFMG, same company, i think they are a monopoly there needs to be another agency that can compete here. :evil:

rokshana
08-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Just wanted to get peoples feed back.

Anyone else feel that the new policies implemented by ERAS regarding LOR's and them being originals etc. to be a bit inconvenient.

Example, a friend of mine sent in his originals. They require that you fill out the RODs to get them back (BTW there is a fee for that also) Since he didn't do that they simply shredded them.

ERAS and ECFMG, same company, i think they are a monopoly there needs to be another agency that can compete here. :evil:

its not really a new policy- US seniors have always had to have original LoRs - just wished we could submit letters electronically like they can- its just the ECFMG requiring the same of IMG applicants.

Plus if you waived your rights on the LoR, you can't get them back using the ROD sevice anyway. I really can't see why one needs to use the ROD anyway.

ross123
02-03-2008, 05:30 PM
bump.

so how r u guys planning on senidng in LoRs if you have to scramble?

and why the heck would ECFMG revoke an entire certificate for a simple fraudulent LoR is beyond me. Buch of Bull...they can go screw themselves...I think docs need to start standing up for themselves!

rokshana
02-04-2008, 09:06 PM
bump.

so how r u guys planning on senidng in LoRs if you have to scramble?

and why the heck would ECFMG revoke an entire certificate for a simple fraudulent LoR is beyond me. Buch of Bull...they can go f*ck themselves...I think docs need to start standing up for themselves!

you ARE joking right????? i believe the key word is FRAUDULENT---they deserve to get their licenses revoked and and their butts sued, IMHO.

I will not stand up for someone who didn't do the work and basically cheated his way into a residency. Not only did that person NOT deserve that spot, they took it away from someone who honestly worked hard in med school and got real LoRs.

ross123
02-06-2008, 01:37 PM
no, i am serious...a stupid lor is not gonna take a spot from anybody...i think board scrores/transcripts are a different story though...whatever, everybody gets what they deserve in the end.

Scott1981
02-06-2008, 01:50 PM
everybody gets what they deserve in the end.

thats just it, this policy tries to make sure that everyone will get what they deserve.

TXMD2B
02-06-2008, 03:57 PM
If you are not creditable enough to do the right thing why would you expect the general to put their life in your hands. The ECFMG is doing the right thing. IMO

ross123
02-24-2008, 08:44 PM
If you are not creditable enough to do the right thing why would you expect the general to put their life in your hands. The ECFMG is doing the right thing. IMO

hopefully, will someone tell u guys to get off your pedastools.

grobble
02-24-2008, 10:43 PM
bump.
and why the heck would ECFMG revoke an entire certificate for a simple fraudulent LoR is beyond me. Buch of Bull...they can go screw themselves...I think docs need to start standing up for themselves!

If a person has to submit a fraudulent LOR what does that say about them? No integrity? Can't get a real LOR? If they would submit a fraudulent LOR what else might they forge? Not someone I would want to work with and someone few, if any program directors would really want in their residency program

rokshana
02-25-2008, 08:43 PM

you mean, maybe "pedestal"?

personally they submit fake LoR, their visas should be pulled as well...

Scott1981
02-26-2008, 05:58 AM

well, i look at it this way. this person could be competing with me for the very same residency spot that i want. lets pretend we have similar grades and step scores. i would be extremely annoyed if they got the spot over me because of a fradulent letter that claimed that they were the best thing since sliced bread. im sorry that you feel otherwise and think that im putting on a show...... but ive worked 4 long and hard years to get my stats and LORs where they are. i dont have any pity for somebody that is going to try to cheat to get ahead of me. yes, i take it personal because this "person" could be potentially messing with MY life. they should be banned for life from ecfmg and get their visa pulled if they are here on an education visa.

ps: why do you care so much about this anyway? is it hitting close to home? do you know someone that did this?

ross123
02-28-2008, 07:13 PM
I think this is stupid. it hits home because I am a physician, of course. Other than that I think doctors are getting taken advantage of this generation. I mean this is one stupid small example. We as doctors and you as future doctors should band together to help each other. But this is something that cannot be forced on one another. Plain and simple, wrong is wrong, but abuse is also wrong.

Scott1981
02-28-2008, 07:25 PM
I think this is stupid. it hits home because I am a physician, of course. Other than that I think doctors are getting taken advantage of this generation. I mean this is one stupid small example. We as doctors and you as future doctors should band together to help each other. But this is something that cannot be forced on one another. Plain and simple, wrong is wrong, but abuse is also wrong.

i am sorry, but how is sombody cheating over me to get a residency spot fall under the generalization that physicians get taken advantage of?

grobble
02-28-2008, 08:00 PM
I think this is stupid. it hits home because I am a physician, of course..

Is this the only reason it hits home?
You are trying to defend the indefensible.

Other than that I think doctors are getting taken advantage of this generation. .

There are more options than ever for people that can;t attend US med schools to sill become doctors.

Residency rules of the 80 hr week and others have cut down on resident abuse.(one example)

We as doctors and you as future doctors should band together to help each other. But this is something that cannot be forced on one another. Plain and simple, wrong is wrong, but abuse is also wrong.

Doctors ahould not band together to support unethical behavior. Doctors still have alot of respect among the community, much higher than for example lawyers. Condoning and turning a blind eye to unethical behavior is not a precedent that should be supported. Submititng an bogus recommendation is unspeakable in my opinion. It speaks to their charcater, or lack of character. Makes you question why couldn't they get a real rec? Not someone I would want to work with as I would wonder about the validity of what they said they did or wrote in a chart.

white-rose
03-03-2008, 11:01 PM
its not really a new policy- US seniors have always had to have original LoRs - just wished we could submit letters electronically like they can- its just the ECFMG requiring the same of IMG applicants.

Plus if you waived your rights on the LoR, you can't get them back using the ROD sevice anyway. I really can't see why one needs to use the ROD anyway.

Dr.s might want to get their LORs back if they don't match and decide to use them for a residency in their own country I suppose.

By the way, do IMGs HAVE to send in the original documents? How do they determine its an original?

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.