PDA

View Full Version : Current First Semester Book List

stateofequilibrium
08-02-2007, 04:33 PM
-Atlas of Human Anatomy 4th ed. 2006 (Netter)
-Langman's Medical Embryology 10th ed. 2006 (Sadler)
-Netter's Clinical Anatomy 1st ed. 2005
-New Clinical Genetics 2007 (Read)
-VH Dissector Pro (DVD)
-Histology with Cell & Molecular Biology 5th ed. 2006 (Ross,)
-Histology: An Interactive Virtual Microscope 2003 2CD set (Schechter)
-Principles Of Biochemistry 4th ed. 2005

tenfoldvengeance
08-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Cool. What medical supplies, if any, should we bring/buy?

kemper6036
08-02-2007, 11:43 PM
some scrubs

BiologyBY
08-03-2007, 05:11 PM
-Atlas of Human Anatomy 4th ed. 2006 (Netter)
-Langman's Medical Embryology 10th ed. 2006 (Sadler)
-Netter's Clinical Anatomy 1st ed. 2005
-New Clinical Genetics 2007 (Read)
-VH Dissector Pro (DVD)
-Histology with Cell & Molecular Biology 5th ed. 2006 (Ross,)
-Histology: An Interactive Virtual Microscope 2003 2CD set (Schechter)
-Principles Of Biochemistry 4th ed. 2005
I would add Lippincott's Biochemistry 3rd edition and Emery's Elements of Medical Genetics 12th edition.

slevit1MD
08-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Apparently First Aid and BRS Anatomy are also good to get?

isaacmn2002 ( neuro)
08-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Guys and girls, i was wandering i checked the first year AUC's curriculum, is there any patient, doctor society I and II. I did not see any or is it included in other classes or not all the first year curriculum are listed on the site? am concerned about that

nl9569
08-03-2007, 09:02 PM
I'm not sure what you are talking about, can you elaborate what this [class] is? Society? Are you referring to ICM (clinical medicine)?

preintermed
08-06-2007, 02:05 PM
---------------------------------

BiologyBY
08-06-2007, 03:34 PM
I bought Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews Biochemistry 3rd. Edition. Is this the correct book b/c there are other books by lippincott for biochemstiry??

I also got BRS gross anatomy 5th ed. LIPPINCOTT WILLIAMS & WILKINS/WOLTERS KLUWER is this the right one?

Color Atlas of Anatomy by Rohen, Johannes W LIPPINCOTT WILLIAMS & WILKINS/WOLTERS KLUWER

No more books please...besides there is always the internet.
You got the right stuff. BRS for biochemistry is also a good idea.

DTMGTR
08-06-2007, 05:20 PM
is the 4th edition lippincott good/no good?

stateofequilibrium
08-06-2007, 05:32 PM

As someone said here before, for the most part the substance of medical text books barely changes over the years. Just the pictures and formats get updated.

slevit1MD
08-06-2007, 06:08 PM
As someone said here before, for the most part the substance of medical text books barely changes over the years. Just the pictures and formats get updated.

It's also very hard to find right now. Amazon has it, but not in stock. It's not even on Barnes and Noble's website.

kemper6036
08-06-2007, 06:37 PM

dont know about the 4th ed. the third was pretty good in my opinion...if you knew the stuff in there you'd be fine for dr. B's part of mcbI/II.

BiologyBY
08-06-2007, 08:03 PM
There are very minor differences between 2nd 3rd and 4th. Actually, I think 2nd had best pictures for some topics. They changed total of like 3 picture for the 3rd edition. I imagine that 4th is no different

isaacmn2002 ( neuro)
08-07-2007, 05:43 PM
patient-doctor society is a class found for almost every medical school, it is different from clinical medicine which comes in 3rd, 4th or sometimes 5h semester. Ross University first year curriculum also has patient Doctor and society. I think the class helps to expose students to local hospitals as fast as their first or second semesters. Students learn guidelines to interacting with patients.

ChanceCount
08-07-2007, 09:47 PM
patient-doctor society is a class found for almost every medical school, it is different from clinical medicine which comes in 3rd, 4th or sometimes 5h semester. Ross University first year curriculum also has patient Doctor and society. I think the class helps to expose students to local hospitals as fast as their first or second semesters. Students learn guidelines to interacting with patients.

Who needs an extra class for that?

kemper6036
08-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Ross University first year curriculum also has patient Doctor and society.

have fun at ross then! :shock:

slevit1MD
08-08-2007, 06:43 AM

Hmmm....i'm glad AUC doesn't have it!

popeye533
08-14-2007, 01:51 PM
So I'll be a first semester there starting in August and was wondering what books to get!!

There is no definite book to buy for each class so it gets confusing. Can someone please let me know what exact books are the best for the three classes we have to take so I can go ahead and order them. Thanks in advance

georgelucas45
08-14-2007, 08:00 PM
theres a sticky in the main forum about this... probably b/c this doesn't belong in the classifieds

jcu
09-01-2007, 07:26 AM
So, I just realized the Lehninger's Biochem textbook used first semester is the same one I used in college for biochem. I'm somewhat giddy.

stateofequilibrium
09-04-2007, 08:00 AM
So, I just realized the Lehninger's Biochem textbook used first semester is the same one I used in college for biochem. I'm somewhat giddy.

No idea really why that one is used. You should make sure to get Lippincott's as well and study hard off of that.

kemper6036
11-28-2007, 03:35 PM
lippincotts is where its at.....for the class, shelf and probalby for the step also

slevit1MD
11-28-2007, 03:37 PM
lippincotts is where its at.....for the class, shelf and probalby for the step also

I second that...especially with Dr. B. If his notes matched Lippincotts any closer, he'd be re-writing the book word for word.

kemper6036
11-28-2007, 03:43 PM
he takes figures right out of it......while "cursing" that ____ champe harvey book

slevit1MD
11-28-2007, 05:32 PM
he takes figures right out of it......while "cursing" that ____ champe harvey book

figures, clinical scenarios, notes... If he teaches it, it probably came out of that book. Usually in the same order, often with the same headings!

slevit1MD
11-28-2007, 05:32 PM
But now, it's time to study "The Cell," another favorite to pull info straight out of, for the cell bio stuff.

Mel Practice
12-01-2007, 05:36 PM
are these books mandatory or suggested? do the professors give out handouts/notes?

kemper6036
12-01-2007, 05:38 PM
yes of course they give notes......in med school texts are mainly used for reference. you dont really have time to read the book. review books are quite helpful and probably of more utility than a textbook

slevit1MD
12-01-2007, 07:57 PM
are these books mandatory or suggested? do the professors give out handouts/notes?

The books on the book list are required, but that definitely doesn't mean that everyone buys them, or that you should. I already wrote a post on the ones I use.

You get the powerpoints from all of the professors. You can either pay $150/semester to have them printed, or download them to your computer for free. In histo and anatomy, the notes are pretty much all I use. In MCB, I use lippincotts all the time, more than the notes.

Mel Practice
12-02-2007, 11:54 AM
and are all these books available for purchase in sint maarten? or should i come come with them? thank you guys who replied to my previous question.

kemper6036
12-02-2007, 12:11 PM
you might be able to buy them from an upper semester. there is no bookstore so if you decide you want them you have to order from the online bookstore or bring it with you

Mel Practice
12-02-2007, 05:06 PM
thanks again for replying.
how long does it take for a book to arrive there if it's ordered online? the island seems rather civilized, but i just fear the mail system might still be slow.

Arkie, M.D.
12-02-2007, 05:30 PM
you could have it shipped to "the mailbox"......time from ordering to pickup on the island probably ~ 1 week or so

kemper6036
12-02-2007, 05:33 PM
yeah....that is another option but four star cargo is cheaper than the mailbox.

it doesnt take that long....you should give it plenty of time. FedEx, UPS, dhl deliver directly to the school

BiologyBY
12-02-2007, 07:53 PM
I ordered a book from university bookstore and it arrived in~4days

GoingMed
12-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Hey guys,

I'm taking lippincott's biochem & Netter's Anatomy so far.
I was wondering if anybody had any input for the Histology, Embryology, or MCB texts... I'm wondering if past students really found them useful, or if the notes/powerpoints for those classes were better. Also, what do you guys think about the dissector kit and those other CD's. Thanks in advance.

BiologyBY
12-13-2007, 08:53 AM
Histo text was useful at times. Embry too. Biochem book you can buy for 10$ here from any upper classman.

kemper6036
12-13-2007, 12:33 PM
i barely used textbooks for mcb except the genetics book (i think its a different one now) because I didn't have much training in genetics. for anatomy i personally liked the rohen color atlas of anatomy as it was actually photos instead of idealized drawings.

i wouldn't buy the dissector kit or the CDs. i'm sure you can get the VH dissector from someone

slevit1MD
12-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Hey guys,

I'm taking lippincott's biochem & Netter's Anatomy so far.
I was wondering if anybody had any input for the Histology, Embryology, or MCB texts... I'm wondering if past students really found them useful, or if the notes/powerpoints for those classes were better. Also, what do you guys think about the dissector kit and those other CD's. Thanks in advance.

Histology book was useful, but not sure about next semester since you'll have a different professor. Embryo was the anatomy exam that I did the best on, and I didn't use the embryo book at all, just the notes. It was way more in depth than what we needed. Don't get the MCB textbook. The genetics book is good, but you only use it for like 2 weeks and you can get it from the library. Definitely DO NOT buy VH dissector...biggest rip off ever.

kemper6036
12-13-2007, 07:38 PM
you will be getting even more genetics in mcb II so it might be worth it

bpage81
12-18-2007, 01:22 PM
There will be different professors for histology and anatomy, so no one knows what those classes will be like. If you have Dr. Saddler for the Embryo section then you won't need the book. I never used the histo book or the MCB book. The only time you will need the genetics book is if you don't understand the notes. Everything usually comes straight out of the notes for the exams.

Tomato858
12-20-2007, 02:41 AM
Can I ask what BRS stands for? Are BRS for Biochem, histology, Gross anatomy necessary, or helpful? If someone could answer, it'll be really nice to know; thanks.

McGillGrad
12-20-2007, 02:57 AM
Can I ask what BRS stands for? Are BRS for Biochem, histology, Gross anatomy necessary, or helpful? If someone could answer, it'll be really nice to know; thanks.

Google: BRS & USMLE

BRS = Board Review Series

slevit1MD
12-20-2007, 08:16 AM

brs anatomy is helpful, but certainly not necessary. Notes are really all you need. BRS has a bunch of practice questions though and can also provide another perspective on how to learn certain things.

As for the others you mentioned, i dont know anyone that used them and did not find them useful at all. They may be good as a step review, but far to general to be of any use for 1st semester exams.

For additional reading in mcb, use lippincotts or The Cell. For histology, the recommended book is good

bpage81
12-20-2007, 10:20 PM

BRS is good for some things and bad for others. I have only used it for physiology, but some teachers will say that BRS is wrong and they are right. Check with upper semesters for BBQ's for anatomy and MCB. They really help with studying for those exams. The January class is going to have a new histology teacher, so I can't say what that is going to be like. It doesn't hurt to buy the books, but DO NOT buy Devlin for MCB. It is a waste of money and time. Lippencott's is the best for MCB. Anatomy lecture notes and BBQ's (if you can get them) are the best thing.

FOID
12-20-2007, 10:34 PM
brs for anatomy is good for review. BRS for path is essential for the step

Tomato858
12-21-2007, 01:25 AM
Great. Thank you Slevit1, flickingoffidioticdrivers, bpage81. :)

LSmith55UF
02-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Anyone us Lippincott's Biochem 3rd Ed? I am cheap, the 4th ed is like $40 and the 3rd is $6.50. I read that they don't change much, I was just wondering if currently anyone uses the 3rd instead of the 4th and has good insight...

slevit1MD
02-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Most people are using the 3rd edition. There are only minor differences between the two. Also, Dr. B doesn't seem to ever change his slides, and it seems they were pulled from the 3rd edition. So, you're good to go with either one.

LSmith55UF
02-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Thanks man, you are a great help as always

LSmith55UF
03-05-2008, 11:31 AM
OK, So I got:
-Lippincott's Biochem
-Langman's Medical Embryology
-Netter's Clinical Anatomy
-Moore's Clinical Anatomy
-BRS Physiology

Any other 1st Semester must haves, or anything I should start looking over prior to starting. I've been out of school for 5 years so I'm a little rusty and trying to get a jump on things so I don't go 1 and done...

slevit1MD
03-05-2008, 11:40 AM
OK, So I got:
-Lippincott's Biochem
-Langman's Medical Embryology
-Netter's Clinical Anatomy
-Moore's Clinical Anatomy
-BRS Physiology

Any other 1st Semester must haves, or anything I should start looking over prior to starting. I've been out of school for 5 years so I'm a little rusty and trying to get a jump on things so I don't go 1 and done...

You should not start looking over ANYTHING before you get started...it won't help. Just relax, enjoy the little time you have left off, and it'll be here soon enough.

As for the books, The clinical anatomy books really aren't needed for first semester. I've never seen Moore's, but I bought Netters Clinical Anatomy and didn't use it once. And, you don't do physio until 2nd semester. BRS anatomy is pretty good though and a lot of people liked it. The only thing you really need to add is Netter's Atlas...you're definitely going to want an atlas of some sort for lab. I also liked the "required" histo book.

LSmith55UF
03-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Eh, I've been in the Army for almost 9 years. I forgot how to relax. Besides, studying is more fun than most of what I do on a daily basis. I'm used to working 15-16 hrs a day, so I am bored out of my mind right now only being at work 8-9 hours. I need something to fill up my time. I'll look at the Histo book and Netter's Atlas.

Besides, I need to look this stuff over, it's fun to see how much I've forgotten.

slevit1MD
03-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Eh, I've been in the Army for almost 9 years. I forgot how to relax. Besides, studying is more fun than most of what I do on a daily basis. I'm used to working 15-16 hrs a day, so I am bored out of my mind right now only being at work 8-9 hours. I need something to fill up my time. I'll look at the Histo book and Netter's Atlas.

Besides, I need to look this stuff over, it's fun to see how much I've forgotten.

Definitely get Netter's atlas. You're gonna have a hell of a time in anatomy with no atlas. The histo book is more optional, I just liked it.

LSmith55UF
03-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Cool--again, I appreciate it as always. I will probably go on and get the histo and the Atlas. I am mainly looking at stuff that I know I'll need to be familiar with when I get down there. I don't want to be the dumbo in the class. I have like 60 days of terminal leave coming up, so I will be sitting on my rear with a pregnant wife doing nothing. The least I can do is to do a little reading before we head down. Plus, I'm, trying to buy all the books I will need while I still have an income.

slevit1MD
03-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Cool--again, I appreciate it as always. I will probably go on and get the histo and the Atlas. I am mainly looking at stuff that I know I'll need to be familiar with when I get down there. I don't want to be the dumbo in the class. I have like 60 days of terminal leave coming up, so I will be sitting on my rear with a pregnant wife doing nothing. The least I can do is to do a little reading before we head down. Plus, I'm, trying to buy all the books I will need while I still have an income.

You don't need to be familiar with any of it and you won't look dumb for not being. Very few people know most of the stuff you learn even in first semester. And half the time, those that have had biochem or histo or something wind up doing bad in the class because they think they already know the stuff and later realize that they don't. If you're really just that bored and need to read medical school books, have at it. But, I can tell you that it will be a huge waste of your time, it won't make a bit of difference when class starts, and you'd be better off just getting a NetFlix subscription and watching movies until school starts (because you won't be doing much of that in a couple months). Watch Patch Adams or something, if you want to get into medical school mode. They actually showed a clip from that in our ICM class.

cracker
03-05-2008, 01:21 PM

I also have a lot of time on my hands between now and September. I work fire and police and just recently got assigned to the fire division. That means I only have to work ten days a month at the slowest fire station in the city. It sounds great, but sometimes the days can drag on. Besides, it has been years since I took my science courses and I would like to freshen up a bit with all the free time I have.

kemper6036
03-05-2008, 01:37 PM
guys, just enjoy your time without studying. you should be able to handle the material in the time given to you to do so. if the 16 week semester isn't long enough for you to learn the material, you've got problems.

BiologyBY
03-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Listen to us guys...I know things can drag....but studying on your own won't do you much good. Watch a movie, a game, go for a picnic and have a drink for us the poor souls

kemper6036
03-05-2008, 03:26 PM
watch lots of movies and games and eat all the yummy food you can......there will be plenty of booze on sxm though =)

LSmith55UF
03-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Ok, sounds good. I'll do all of the above. Except for the last part, I can't have a drink till after Easter, I gave it up for Lent (that and the nagging pregnant wife).

As far as not having enough time in a semester, I would rather read a little now and brush up, just to make ME feel better. I'm the kind of guy who'd rather have and not need, rather than need and not have if you know what I mean. I'm sure I can get it all in the semester, but if I can kill an hour a day by reading and waste some taxpayer money at work, why not?

LSmith55UF
03-05-2008, 03:29 PM
And, like I said, I am looking to buy as many books as possible now while I've still got a good income, and save that $$$ when I'm on the island for necessities.

kemper6036
03-05-2008, 03:29 PM
somehow alcohol wasn't part of my lenten sacrifice....oops

LSmith55UF
03-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Yeah, it wasn't in my plans either. I was gonna give up fast food. But I guess the pregnant wife decided if she couldn't have, then I shouldn't either. It's the least I can do.

kemper6036
03-05-2008, 05:24 PM
well lent will be over once you get down here and there will be lots of $2 or less beer to drink

LSmith55UF
03-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Thats what I'm hoping for and looking forward to. Well, that and the whole passing classes and becoming a doctor thing.

kemper6036
03-05-2008, 07:08 PM
passing classes is KEY

albdocinact
03-08-2008, 09:30 PM
hey guys, I'm a bio major sophomore in college, and I'm considering the classes I'll have to take junior year. Besides physics, I'll have to take a bio elective. I was wandering whether a class such as cancer biology or a med school class such as functional histology would be better. I don't know whether it would be worth struggling with med schol courses for the next two years, and let them pay off during med school. Or take other electives, that will enrich my general knowledge. My dad is stressing me the importance of usmle scores in order to get into good residence programs...so I'll have to ask you whether you deem it necessary to take these med courses or wait till med school?

kemper6036
03-08-2008, 09:37 PM
well you have to get into med school first. i would take whatever classes will help you get the best gpa. its not going to help you to have a bunch of C's on your transcript, even if they are in "med school-like" courses.

there are people here who come from hardcore science backgrounds who struggle and those from not as heavy science backgrounds who are doing quite well. as im sure smoeone who has taken the step will verify, everything you need just about gets taught in med school

slevit1MD
03-08-2008, 10:15 PM
hey guys, I'm a bio major sophomore in college, and I'm considering the classes I'll have to take junior year. Besides physics, I'll have to take a bio elective. I was wandering whether a class such as cancer biology or a med school class such as functional histology would be better. I don't know whether it would be worth struggling with med schol courses for the next two years, and let them pay off during med school. Or take other electives, that will enrich my general knowledge. My dad is stressing me the importance of usmle scores in order to get into good residence programs...so I'll have to ask you whether you deem it necessary to take these med courses or wait till med school?

In college, it's best to take whatever courses interest you. Once you're done with college, you probably won't have the opportunity to take those classes again. You will have plenty of time in med school to learn all that you need to know for the step. Like Kemper said, an A in whatever bio elective you choose to take will look a lot better than a C in a med school related class.

Some people here have a very extensive science background, and some do not. I was a sociology major and I'm not having any trouble, while some of the bio or chem majors are barely making it. Some of that might be because often, people who have had a related class in the past think that they already know the material, don't study much, and realize that they didn't know it nearly as well as they thought.

Maverick23
03-20-2008, 09:46 PM
In the email sent with the book list for this semester, one thing AUC mentions for histo is "Histology: An Interactive Virtual Microscope 2003 2CD set." Anyone use this? Necessary?

Slaol
03-20-2008, 10:20 PM
I think I read somewhere on this board that those cds were a huge waste of money.... but I could be wrong.

Nelphus
03-20-2008, 10:59 PM
In the email sent with the book list for this semester, one thing AUC mentions for histo is "Histology: An Interactive Virtual Microscope 2003 2CD set." Anyone use this? Necessary?

When did u get this email? I have no book list other than what I have from this board.... Regarding that list, how much flexibility do we have in purchasing a dissection kit? I imagine there is a wide variety out there - amazon time

EDIT: Apparently my Gmail spam filter was a bit too protective...found the email, explains dissection kit completely

Maverick23
03-21-2008, 07:36 AM
You should've received two emails from AUC, one is a book list for every semester, the other an equipment list for every other semester. On the equipment list they say that they sell dissection kits at note service for 40 dollars. They also say what they want in a kit, so if you can find these tools elsewhere for cheaper, go for it.

echolake85
03-21-2008, 10:02 AM
Hey Nelphus, pm me ur email address and I'll forward you mine

When did u get this email? I have no book list other than what I have from this board.... Regarding that list, how much flexibility do we have in purchasing a dissection kit? I imagine there is a wide variety out there - amazon time

EDIT: Apparently my Gmail spam filter was a bit too protective...found the email, explains dissection kit completely

Deus_Ex
04-03-2008, 08:48 PM
From the book list provided by auc, what books/cds are actually useful?

in other words, what should i not buy from the list?

slevit1MD
04-03-2008, 09:15 PM
From the book list provided by auc, what books/cds are actually useful?

in other words, what should i not buy from the list?
If you do a search, you'll find that this has been answered a couple of times. I'm not going to repeat everything again, but definitely do not buy VH dissector.

kemper6036
04-03-2008, 09:22 PM
run a search and save us from carpal tunnel

slevit1MD
04-03-2008, 09:23 PM
try this: http://www.valuemd.com/american-university-caribbean-auc/146312-cruising-rock-2.html#post705246

ksircar
04-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Would it be cheaper to buy the books off of amazon for half.com instead of buying them on the island?

Thanks!

Nelphus
04-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Would it be cheaper to buy the books off of amazon for half.com instead of buying them on the island?

Thanks!

If you want your books new than I think amazon is the way to go...I bought a lot of books already and will be bringing them with me for May (shipping via 4starcargo). I found some great deals on new books from amazon's merchants, just make sure you find one w/ high ratings. You do have to take shipping cost into account though, even though the online bookstore's shipping prices seem high. I wanted to have everything set and ready to go before I get to the island, especially for 1st semester.

Probably the cheapest way to get your own copy of books is to buy them from students on the island, if you don't mind the condition/highlighting/notes etc.

Slaol
04-09-2008, 06:51 PM
If you want to buy your books new @ a fraction of the cost, you can purchase the international version of the book (same exact book, just lower price for students in developing countries that cannot afford US prices for books).

Abebooks.com is a good site to purchase such editions.

echolake85
04-09-2008, 07:31 PM
I bought about 90% of all my books from graduating students. Most of them were found right here on VMD. Luckily, most of the sellers knew my OA who's holding onto them for me. It was really cheap and I won't have to worry about lugging/shipping them to the island. The only downside was that some books were pretty old -- the only new book I bought was the newest edition of Lippincott's Biochem

BrianTN
04-17-2008, 11:52 PM
To others starting this May, which books are you getting? Right now I am thinking about getting these:

New Clinical Genetics, 1st edition
Langman's Medical Embryology, 10th edition
Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry, 4th edition
Histology: A Text and Atlas: With Correlated Cell and Molecular Biology, 5th edition
Atlas of Human Anatomy: With Netteranatomy.com, 4th edition
Illustrated Clinical Anatomy, 1st edition
BRS Gross Anatomy, 6th edition

Kind of a mix between recommendations from current students on here and the school's list. I'd also rather have a book that I needed once instead of not having the book and needing it. There is the library but I like to have my own. I'll probably just get them from the AUC Virtual Bookstore so they will be there when I arrive on the island the 26th. Anyone know how long the school will hold onto books from the bookstore?

slevit1MD
04-18-2008, 01:04 AM
To others starting this May, which books are you getting? Right now I am thinking about getting these:

Histology: A Text and Atlas: With Correlated Cell and Molecular Biology, 5th edition

Kind of a mix between recommendations from current students on here and the school's list. I'd also rather have a book that I needed once instead of not having the book and needing it. There is the library but I like to have my own. I'll probably just get them from the AUC Virtual Bookstore so they will be there when I arrive on the island the 26th. Anyone know how long the school will hold onto books from the bookstore?
Looks good...the school will hold onto the books until you pick them up.

Nelphus
04-18-2008, 01:18 AM

I bought your list ;
MINUS: Illustrated Clinical Anatomy

ADDED: Rohen's Atlas, "Big Moore", USMLE roadmap Biochemistry
The other Histology Text and First Aid 2008

my books and belongings are currently en-route to 4starcargo then the island... hopefully they make it there when I do.

BrianTN
04-18-2008, 02:35 AM
I bought your list ;
MINUS: Illustrated Clinical Anatomy

ADDED: Rohen's Atlas, "Big Moore", USMLE roadmap Biochemistry
The other Histology Text and First Aid 2008

Any idea why they suggested two histology texts?

Nelphus
04-18-2008, 02:47 AM
Any idea why they suggested two histology texts?

I don't know why... there have been a couple threads where people have mentioned the histology texts were useful so I went ahead and got both - with shipping both histology texts ordered through amazon merchants came to be less than a single histo book from the bookstore.

BrianTN
04-18-2008, 02:54 AM
I don't know why... there have been a couple threads where people have mentioned the histology texts were useful so I went ahead and got both - with shipping both histology texts ordered through amazon merchants came to be less than a single histo book from the bookstore. That's pretty good. I haven't seen any deals like that on amazon. Guess I procrastinated too long.

slevit1MD
04-18-2008, 08:10 AM
Histology: A text and Atlast, is all you need for histo. Actually, with the new teacher, you probably don't even need that. He's apparently MUCH easier than Dr. G

Nelphus
04-18-2008, 10:56 AM
That's pretty good. I haven't seen any deals like that on amazon. Guess I procrastinated too long.

with books... make sure you don't look at the amazon price but right underneath the amazon price there is always "used and new starting at ___". You click on that and then find new books from private merchants that have 95%+ ratings with 1000+ reviews over the past 12 months. Most of these will give great descriptions of their books, i.e. "small corner fold on back cover, no highlighting or markings", "new 6th edition" etc. I ordered most of mine new through these merchants but a couple like the histology text had minor shelf wear and were heavily discounted.

BrianTN
04-18-2008, 02:52 PM
with books... make sure you don't look at the amazon price but right underneath the amazon price there is always "used and new starting at ___". You click on that and then find new books from private merchants that have 95%+ ratings with 1000+ reviews over the past 12 months. Most of these will give great descriptions of their books, i.e. "small corner fold on back cover, no highlighting or markings", "new 6th edition" etc. I ordered most of mine new through these merchants but a couple like the histology text had minor shelf wear and were heavily discounted.

I had looked at those prices but guess I missed out on anything great. Oh well, I don't really want to deal with a person per book anyways. It seems every order I make online ends up with some kind of a problem and I probably wouldn't get the books when I needed them.

BrianTN
04-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Histology: A text and Atlast, is all you need for histo. Actually, with the new teacher, you probably don't even need that. He's apparently MUCH easier than Dr. G
Do you mean Histology: A Text and Atlas with Correlated Cell and Molecular Biology or Basic Histology: Text & Atlas? I think it's the first one of the two, just making sure.

What about BRS embryo and BRS cell bio/histo?

DoctaKam
04-18-2008, 09:07 PM
I have a friend who works for a company who has a contract with fedex. She is going to try and ship my books to the island directly. Should I just have her send them to the schools address and they'll hold it for me? I'm not on the island yet so I can't set up the mailbox account. Still trying to decide whether to use her fedex services or go via four star.

MMPig
04-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Yes, go ahead and send things to the AUC. The Note Services will hold onto all packages until you go pick it up. It's very reliable; I sent my textbooks that way too.

hardik2112
07-22-2008, 09:44 PM
very useful post...thanx guys

mattrw02
07-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Since the last real post was from april, I was wondering from current first semesters what books are really necessary (since there was a new histology prof)

shwin
07-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Since the last real post was from april, I was wondering from current first semesters what books are really necessary (since there was a new histology prof)

ten chara

Nelphus
07-25-2008, 01:50 AM

Langermans Embryo
BRS ANATOMY - get a NEW COPY (UNMARKED)
Netters Atlas
Lippincotts Biochem

LSmith55UF
07-25-2008, 08:49 AM
Why a new copy? You mean a latest edition? Whats the reasoning behind that?

Itempest
07-25-2008, 09:05 AM
Langermans Embryo
BRS ANATOMY - get a NEW COPY
Netters Atlas
Lippincotts Biochem

Hey, I had a question concerning Lippincott's. I've been trying to look for the book and the closest I've come to finding something like this is Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews by Pamela Champe. Is this what you meant?

Nelphus
07-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Why a new copy? You mean a latest edition? Whats the reasoning behind that?

one of the best things about the BRS series is the clinical vignette questions at the end of each chapter (~50 for the major chapters).... I was looking to buy other BRS books the 1st week here but found most to have markings/answers already worked out for a great deal of the problems and to me, that defeats the purpose of working through them on your own

Nelphus
07-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Hey, I had a question concerning Lippincott's. I've been trying to look for the book and the closest I've come to finding something like this is Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews by Pamela Champe. Is this what you meant?

yup.... you don't NEED it for 1st semester but you do want it for 2nd, and I found it very helpful for initial reading of a lot of our 1st semester MCB material.

Amazon.com: Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry (Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews Series): Pamela C Champe, Richard A Harvey, Denise R Ferrier: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Lippincotts-Illustrated-Reviews-Biochemistry/dp/0781769604/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216999959&sr=8-3)

dimab85
07-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Is there a bookstore in the school?... or do all the books have to be purchased in advance?

kemper6036
07-27-2008, 11:44 AM
no there is no bookstore. you can purchase it from the virtual bookstore online and they will have it waiting for you here. or you can buy them from amazon, etc and bring them with you

HopefulMD21
07-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Do you think we should get any of the BRS or other review books before getting to the island? Or is it ok to wait on those for a little while?

DrFraud
07-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Is there a bookstore in the school?... or do all the books have to be purchased in advance?

The easiest books to find at school are 1st semester books. I would avoid buying them in advance. There are usually many copies available. The first semester students usually like to buy these b-4 they come down and the next few semesters the same students attempt to sell them so there is an abundent suppy.

Most students buy more books for first semester then they do for the rest of their time at AUC.

A large portion of studying will be directly off of powerpoint slides, and on the rare occations that additional materials are required, you can borrow books from the library or make copies.

kemper6036
07-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Do you think we should get any of the BRS or other review books before getting to the island? Or is it ok to wait on those for a little while?

you can probably get some of them from upperclassmen who are selling them. if you want to be assured of having a particular brs, you should probably bring it

i would get first aid too

Nelphus
07-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Bring your own anatomy BRS and First Aid - in addition to Lippincotts Biochem since you'll need that for 2nd semester and it's so pretty to look at haha.... those 3 are all relatively small and lightweight. You can buy an Atlas here for pretty cheap. I brought a ton of books for 1st semester and have barely used them; however, I dont think I'll be selling them but rather keeping most for reference (bookshelf filler) later on.

I've actually used First-Aid quite a bit so far throughout our MCB and Anatomy courses just to check what the really high yield stuff is and to get a nice summary of important topics once I've learned them via Lecture Notes/BRS.
First aid is not nearly specific enough for course use, but its a good feeling to mark several pages in it knowing that you are taking tiny little baby steps towards getting most of what you need for Step1 also First Aid has a nice section in the back that reviews books for all subjects. I'm currently using it to make purchases for next term...

Phur
07-29-2008, 06:13 PM
I second Nelphus's remarks. I don't have a first aid, but have heard good things about it. BRS anatomy is a must in my opinion. Lipincotts helps with some of the early biochem and is even more valuable 2nd semester from what I've heard. Histology stuff you probably don't need since it looks like you'll have Dr. F for the entire semester and everything comes straight from his outlines. Atlas-wize its personal preference between Netter's and Rohan's. Both get the job done. A bunch of people swear by their Clinical Netter's, too.

But the big thing is do NOT buy VH dissector. Don't let someone greedy person try and tell you that you need it. I can guarantee by the 2nd or 3rd week, anyone who actually wants it will have. Both PC and mac versions are readily available.

kemper6036
07-29-2008, 06:16 PM
however, I dont think I'll be selling them but rather keeping most for reference (bookshelf filler) later on.

until you have to leave and find out you still have a ton of books........i've gotten rid of most of the large ones and ones i dont want anymore and i still have 50 lbs worth :evil:

Nelphus
07-30-2008, 12:43 AM
until you have to leave and find out you still have a ton of books........i've gotten rid of most of the large ones and ones i dont want anymore and i still have 50 lbs worth :evil:

haha... I'm already taking a few back with me this 1st break along with two empty bags -- not exactly my bookshelf here, I was referring to... here I'm all about efficiency :)

I'm keeping Big Moores here, First AID and lippincotts for sure so far....

Elixir
08-02-2008, 11:07 PM
I second the VH Dissector. Don't waste your money. Also I wouldn't buy the dissector guide the school has from note service. I used mine about two weeks then didn't bother bringing it to lab or even looking at it any more.

Elixir
08-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Nelphus, I want the old pick back. I see the Carib everyday. I need the fur balls back.

Nelphus
08-03-2008, 12:49 AM
Nelphus, I want the old pick back. I see the Carib everyday. I need the fur balls back.

The labyrinth characters are too happy for the present time of impending block/finals --- they will return once I kick "inferior-gluteal-innervated structures" next monday. In the meantime, I need something soothing to calm me down

wes431
08-03-2008, 01:12 AM
Why do people have lippincott's biochemistry book on their list, and not lehninger's biochemistry which is the required one?

Itempest
08-03-2008, 01:22 AM
Why do people have lippincott's biochemistry book on their list, and not lehninger's biochemistry which is the required one?

I've wondered this too. Lehninger's is more like a reference-style textbook ($160), you may have used it during your bachelor's, and if really needed, seems like people get it from the library. Perhaps Lippincott's is more summary-style?

Phur
08-03-2008, 08:21 AM
I've used lehninger a couple times, but personally found it too specific with a lot more information than you actually need. If I was going for a PhD in biochem, it would be a great resource. For our purposes though, its too much and you can get bogged down deciphering whats important and whats not. Lipincotts is a good middle ground I found between a PhD-style textbook (like lehninger) and a review book (like BRS). Not too specific, but not too general Plus it has great pictures.

Everyone is a little different in the way they learn and study, so while this is my suggestion and what has worked/is working for me, you have to experiment once you get here and find what works for you.

wes431
08-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Here's the ones I'm getting:

Lehinger's Principles of Biochemistry
Lippinscott's Biochemistry
New Clinical Genetics 2007

Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy
Langman's Medical Embryology
Illustrated Clinical Anatomy
Clinical Anatomy: Applied Anatomy for Students and Junior Doctors

Histology with Cell and Molecular Biology
Basic Histology: Text and Atlas (Junquiera)

I'm still not sure whether to get BRS for anatomy and biochem, or first aid?

jasonb123
08-07-2008, 02:31 AM
Should I get both lippinscotts and lehinger's biochemistry book?

kemper6036
08-07-2008, 07:57 AM
probably just lippincotts

BiologyBY
08-07-2008, 08:38 AM
lippincott's all the way

tomorrow23
08-10-2008, 05:31 PM
I am about to place an order for some of my books through the AUC bookstore... do I need to add the dissection kit as well? or can I buy that when I am on the island. Thanks in advance.

HopefulMD21
08-10-2008, 06:53 PM
A lot of the upper semesters on here say that we do not need to buy the kits; they should be available from other students on the island for minimal to no cost. I don't think I'm gonna buy one before I head down.

kemper6036
08-10-2008, 07:11 PM
hopefully someone in your group has one.......it was kind of ridiculous for everyone to have their own when it all just gets mixed up anyways

Nelphus
08-10-2008, 07:31 PM
if you aren't bringing a kit to your group, at least buy gloves and extra blades , for your group, from note services when you get here --- don't be the mooch in the group :)

wes431
08-11-2008, 03:00 AM
Did anyone get the "Clinical Anatomy: Applied Anatomy for Students and Junior Doctors" on the book list?

DrFraud
08-11-2008, 05:11 AM
Did anyone get the "Clinical Anatomy: Applied Anatomy for Students and Junior Doctors" on the book list?

You do Not need to buy any books b-4 you come down in the January Class. There are many books availible in the library for 1 dollor and plenty of 5 semester students selling their books. 1st semester books are very plentiful since this is the only semester that everyone buys their books.

If you decide you need something, you can always check out a copy from the library, then find a fifth semester student selling it for 5-10 dollars.

SchoonerJay
08-11-2008, 11:15 AM
We used Voet & Voet biochem for my undergrad major courses, it's pretty dense and detailed. Anyone think that's a worthwhile substitute to Lippincott's?

FOID
08-11-2008, 01:01 PM
v&v is good for undergrad biochem... but this is biochem related to medicine. lippincott would be a better book for it.

BiologyBY
08-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Plenty biochem books for sale in the library for a buck

wes431
08-11-2008, 03:22 PM
You do Not need to buy any books b-4 you come down in the January Class. There are many books availible in the library for 1 dollor and plenty of 5 semester students selling their books. 1st semester books are very plentiful since this is the only semester that everyone buys their books.

If you decide you need something, you can always check out a copy from the library, then find a fifth semester student selling it for 5-10 dollars.

I'm not in the Jan class. I'm in the Sept class. So are you saying, I don't need to buy any books until I get to the island?

DrFraud
08-11-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm not in the Jan class. I'm in the Sept class. So are you saying, I don't need to buy any books until I get to the island?

The Sept. class is the biggest so sometimes used 1st semester books are scarce and it can be harder to find the books you need in the library but because there are lots of second semester students in January trying to sell their books from the prior semester it is usually very easy for the January-class students to get their books on the island.

wes431
08-11-2008, 04:11 PM
If I had all the required books(8-10 books) to shipped to 4starcargo, about how much would the shipping to the island cost?

DrFraud
08-11-2008, 04:15 PM
If I had all the required books(8-10 books) to shipped to 4starcargo, about how much would the shipping to the island cost?

I would call 4star and ask them.

kemper6036
08-11-2008, 05:07 PM
the rates are going up all the time due to fuel increases

Itempest
08-11-2008, 11:15 PM

I spoke to them yesterday and I believe if you sent them via ocean, it'd run you about $1.85 per pound. If you went air, it'd be 1.85+some flat fee (I think 10$)?

And they don't have any minimum. So if they have to ship 1 lb. it'll run you $1.85 and if they have to ship 10 lbs. it will cost you $18.5.

Have I understood this about right?

As for how much do all the first semester required books weight - not entirely sure. Amazon probably has weight estimates for each of the books you can add up if you're interested.

kemper6036
08-12-2008, 12:01 AM
We used Voet & Voet biochem for my undergrad major courses, it's pretty dense and detailed. Anyone think that's a worthwhile substitute to Lippincott's?

lippincotts.....there is NO substitute

DrFraud
08-12-2008, 04:25 PM
lippincotts.....there is NO substitute

I actually preferred the kaplan step 1 biochem/genetics book by Dr. H., but I am probably in the minority.

kemper6036
08-12-2008, 04:45 PM
ehhhh kraplan

HopefulMD21
08-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Even with the MCAT, I noticed that Kaplan bombards students with crazy amounts of material. But I have to say, their technique is effective...I will see how they do for Step 1.

FOID
08-12-2008, 05:04 PM
use usmleworld for step 1

HopefulMD21
08-12-2008, 05:07 PM
use usmleworld for step 1

Do you guys know which is best to practice for regular class exams? I like to have a good idea of how professors will test us on the material...

jasonb123
08-12-2008, 05:41 PM
How is my book list? Do I need to add/remove anything?

Basic Histology: Text and Atlas
Atlas of Human Anatomy with Netteranatomy.com
Histology: A Text and Atlas with Correlated Cell and Molecular Biology
BRS Gross Anatomy
New Clinical Genetics
First Aid for the USMLE Step 1
Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry

kemper6036
08-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Do you guys know which is best to practice for regular class exams? I like to have a good idea of how professors will test us on the material...

usmle world.....they will be challenging for you just starting out but don't get upset when you get them wrong and learn from their explanations

dsfan
08-12-2008, 06:23 PM
do we check them out from the lib? if so are there usually a shortage if you do not start early?

wes431
08-12-2008, 06:28 PM
When you order books from amazon, do you have it shipped directly to 4starcargo from them or do you have it shipped to yourself, then ship it 4starcargo?

kemper6036
08-12-2008, 06:53 PM
when you sign up for your 4 star account, they will give you an address in miami. you will send it to that address, in your name

wes431
08-12-2008, 08:29 PM
when you sign up for your 4 star account, they will give you an address in miami. you will send it to that address, in your name

so I can just have amazon ship it to that address? do they charge more depending on the number of boxes?

kemper6036
08-12-2008, 09:31 PM
yes there is a per package fee then weight/size. amazon would tick me off sometimes by sending stuff separately even after i told them not to so be careful

TheWrightStuff
08-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the info kemper

kemper6036
08-13-2008, 12:00 PM
no problem.....its a great service but you definitely pay for it. dont have a lot of choice living on the island though

wes431
08-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Did anyone get this Clinical Plastic Clipboard from the bookstore? What the heck is it?

Another winning clinical tool designed for a broad range of professional applications. Rescue! Clinical Clipboard has the ACLS information you need with 10 rhythm-specific algorithms, intubation guidelines and more!

* Patented design
* Dual power(solar/battery)Calculator
* Large BIG DIGIT display
* Side ruler, built-in penholder.
Plus our famous Quick-E clinical reference format, including:
The latest ACLS algorithms including V.Tach, SVT, Asystole, Atiral and Ventricular Fibrillation, Synchronized Cardioversion, Bradycardia, Pulsless Electrical Activity (PEA), and more! Includes notes and emergency drug guidelines. Tracheal intubation guidelines including tube sizes and cuff pressures. ABG norms, primary and secondary surveys and more!
Front and back! Ideal clinical tool for Nurses, Physicians, Respiratory Therapists, Paramedics and their students.

Itempest
08-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Did anyone get this Clinical Plastic Clipboard from the bookstore? What the heck is it?

Another winning clinical tool designed for a broad range of professional applications. Rescue! Clinical Clipboard has the ACLS information you need with 10 rhythm-specific algorithms, intubation guidelines and more!

* Patented design
* Dual power(solar/battery)Calculator
* Large BIG DIGIT display
* Side ruler, built-in penholder.
Plus our famous Quick-E clinical reference format, including:
The latest ACLS algorithms including V.Tach, SVT, Asystole, Atiral and Ventricular Fibrillation, Synchronized Cardioversion, Bradycardia, Pulsless Electrical Activity (PEA), and more! Includes notes and emergency drug guidelines. Tracheal intubation guidelines including tube sizes and cuff pressures. ABG norms, primary and secondary surveys and more!
Front and back! Ideal clinical tool for Nurses, Physicians, Respiratory Therapists, Paramedics and their students.

Sounds like it's just a clipboard with a solar-powered calculator and some other gadgets like pen-holder or ruler.

I am getting the other, cheaper, one. :P

wes431
08-13-2008, 11:54 PM
so I got the clipboard, student dissection kid, and scrubs. Do I need to order anything else from the bookstore's medical supplies? Also, do the scrubs need an AUC logo?

Itempest
08-14-2008, 12:14 AM
so I got the clipboard, student dissection kid, and scrubs. Do I need to order anything else from the bookstore's medical supplies? Also, do the scrubs need an AUC logo?

Scrubs don't need a logo but your lab coat (white coat) needs an AUC logo. Also, you might want to order a box of latex gloves unless you're bringing those with you.

wes431
08-14-2008, 12:24 AM
Scrubs don't need a logo but your lab coat (white coat) needs an AUC logo. Also, you might want to order a box of latex gloves unless you're bringing those with you.

But do I order the lab coat (white coat) right now or wait until I get to the campus? It's kinda hard to tell what my size is from the bookstore list.

Itempest
08-14-2008, 12:40 AM
But do I order the lab coat (white coat) right now or wait until I get to the campus? It's kinda hard to tell what my size is from the bookstore list.

I would guess that that is something we order right now so it is there for us when we arrive on campus. I don't think there is any physical bookstore/shop where students can buy these things so anything you want will have to be ordered through the virtual bookstore so if you order it when you arrive it might take 3-5 days to get here and chances are you won't get to trial one anyway.

My guess is they'll follow standard shirt sizes used in the US - like S, M, L, XL, XXL and so on.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. From my understanding, any physical student store-like entity was removed 2-ish years ago?

mattrw02
08-14-2008, 01:42 AM
I thought we could buy labcoat and dissection kit at note services when we get there?

Phur
08-14-2008, 06:19 AM
Wait until you get here to buy the lab coat. They will let you try it on to make sure it fits. It is actually by coat size number (think it ranges from high 20s to maybe 50ish).

Itempest
08-14-2008, 06:59 AM
Wait until you get here to buy the lab coat. They will let you try it on to make sure it fits. It is actually by coat size number (think it ranges from high 20s to maybe 50ish).

Ah cool, good to know. :)

jasonb123
08-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Basic Histology: Text and Atlas
Atlas of Human Anatomy with Netteranatomy.com
Histology: A Text and Atlas with Correlated Cell and Molecular Biology
BRS Gross Anatomy
New Clinical Genetics
First Aid for the USMLE Step 1
Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry

Is this book list okay for first semester?

jasonb123
08-14-2008, 08:12 PM

Can you also get the dissection kit on campus?

Phur
08-14-2008, 09:27 PM
The book list looks fine. I've said a few times that the amount of books you need is completely dependent on your study style. If you're one who needs to read it, then you're going to use those. The thing is >95% of questions are straight from the lectures and their corresponding notes.

And kits you can get on the island. Might want to put off buying it right away until you meet with your lab group. 15 sets of lab tools is excessive. At most 4 people can cut at a time. I can almost guarantee at least half your group will have bought sets before your first lab, which will be more than enough. When that happens just offer to buy a ton of blades for the group and you're good.

Nelphus
08-14-2008, 09:28 PM
yes you can get the dissection kit on campus and your book list is too long - take out one of the Histo books and take out one of the netters clinical anatomy books BRS and netters clinical are similar and you wont have time to use both --- better to get close with one and keep using it

first person to find me can have my dissection kit :)

Nelphus
08-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Ah - phur beat me to it.... he's right

P.S. bring elbow pads, mine are killing me now - although Dr. Nw says thats the sign of a good student :) Bleeding elbows and atrophied legs means your passing your classes!

jasonb123
08-14-2008, 10:12 PM
yes you can get the dissection kit on campus and your book list is too long - take out one of the Histo books and take out one of the netters clinical anatomy books BRS and netters clinical are similar and you wont have time to use both --- better to get close with one and keep using it

Netters clinical anatomy? which one is that? There's only an atlas by netters.

Nelphus
08-15-2008, 01:58 AM
Netters clinical anatomy? which one is that? There's only an atlas by netters.

google :)

Amazon.com: Netter's Clinical Anatomy (Netter Basic Science): John T. Hansen, ***** R. Lambert: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Netters-Clinical-Anatomy-Netter-Science/dp/192900771X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218783455&sr=8-1)

jasonb123
08-15-2008, 02:06 AM
google :)
Amazon.com: Netter's Clinical Anatomy (Netter Basic Science): John T. Hansen, ***** R. Lambert: Books

But I don't even have that on my list. You said to take it out.

Itempest
08-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Er. Never mind, delete this please. :P

Sorry.

Phur
08-15-2008, 10:09 AM
I think Nelphus thought the clinical anatomy book you have listed was baby netter's. Point being you have 4 anatomy books listed. Not exactly sure which one is which, but that may be borderline overboard. Same thing goes with more than 1 histo book.

Phur
08-15-2008, 10:11 AM
While I'm here... anyone have suggestions for books for immuno or physio, if any?

Nelphus
08-15-2008, 11:27 AM
I think Nelphus thought the clinical anatomy book you have listed was baby netter's. Point being you have 4 anatomy books listed. Not exactly sure which one is which, but that may be borderline overboard. Same thing goes with more than 1 histo book.

haha, what he said :) .... it was late, I almost cried at the thought of ALL those anatomy books and trying to study for the exams/shelf

jasonb123
08-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Which histology book should I stick with? "Basic Histology: A Text and Atlas" or "Histology: A Text and Atlas with Correlated Cell and Molecular Biology" ? I took out Clinical Anatomy: Applied Anatomy for Students and Junior Doctors.

BiologyBY
08-15-2008, 12:21 PM
If you are really want to get 2nd semester books, either Guyton physiology or Berne & Levy will be fine. Get Physiology Cases (it is good for 2nd and 3rd semester), physio BRS is a good supplement but not a must have. Immuno, don't buy anything. Immuno atlas was the only helpful aid I found (it is a small pocket size atlas)

Phur
08-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Which histology book should I stick with? "Basic Histology: A Text and Atlas" or "Histology: A Text and Atlas with Correlated Cell and Molecular Biology" ? I took out Clinical Anatomy: Applied Anatomy for Students and Junior Doctors.

Stick to the one that is authored by Ross and Pawlina. Think its the 1st one you mentioned but not 100% sure, and I don't have the book immediately near me.

Thanks BY. sounds good

dsfan
08-15-2008, 06:06 PM
hows my book list looking:
Netters Atlas 4th edition
Langmans Medical embryology 10ed
Lippincotts Biochem
BRS anatomy
deja review histology & MCB

are there any glaring holes? thanks

wes431
08-15-2008, 06:15 PM
what is MCB?

dsfan
08-15-2008, 06:23 PM
molecular cellular biology

shwin
08-15-2008, 06:34 PM

can i have it? :)

tritons stick together

Nelphus
08-15-2008, 06:55 PM
can i have it? :)

tritons stick together

allllright you won with the sentimental undergrad card... send me a message after the 30th and i'll get it to you

Nelphus
08-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Lippincotts Biochem
BRS anatomy

Looks good to me - although you might want to pick up a new First Aid 2008 to keep with you through 5th. The more I look at the more I realize I should keep it at my side ALWAYS

dimab85
08-15-2008, 08:03 PM
what is the first aid 2008 I tried googling it and I can't find it

wes431
08-15-2008, 08:18 PM
why deja review histology & MCB? what's the reason u chose it?

DrFraud
08-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Lippincotts Biochem
BRS anatomy

Netters = you will be able to get a copy for $5
Langmans = 1 at the library
Lippincotts - $10 from a 5th semester student
BRS anatomy - 1 dollar

deja review histo - DO NOT GET THIS BOOK. EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR HISTO WILL BE IN YOUR NOTES (unless the class has been completely redone in the past semester) THERE ARE MANY HISTO BOOKS FLOATING AROUND FOR FREE OR FOR ONE DOLLAR. THERE ARE EVEN MORE IN THE LIBRARY BECAUSE RARELY DOES ANYONE CHECK OUT A HISTO BOOD BECAUSE EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR HISTO WILL BE IN YOUR NOTES.

jasonb123
08-16-2008, 01:53 AM
how is Emery's Elements of Medical Genetics?
should I get all the BRS books - anatomy, biochemistry, MCB?

jasonb123
08-17-2008, 03:51 PM
how is Emery's Elements of Medical Genetics?
should I get all the BRS books - anatomy, biochemistry, MCB?

anyone can help?

Phur
08-17-2008, 04:34 PM
The genetics book, I have no idea. Didn't get it and did fine without it. Some of the figures are taken straight from there, so in the book it has the captions explaining things which I guess is nice.

BRS anatomy- yes. Biochem- maybe/maybe not. definitely won't use it first semester. cell bio/histo- have it, but don't like the way it is set up, but that may just be me.

Like I've said, for 1st semester you're probably going to want to buy a lot of the books just because you really don't know what study style works best for you. If you don't get the books but find you are much more productive reading it from a textbook then you are SOL. I guess there is the library worse case scenario.

HopefulMD21
08-17-2008, 05:22 PM
anyone can help?

I'm an incoming first semester as well so I don't know much, but I heard from my OA that Read and Donnai's New Clinical Genetics is the main text for that portion of MCB.

BiologyBY
08-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Guys, relax, here is what you need for the 1st semester:
MCB-Lippincott's Biochemistry, either Read and Donna genetics or Emery's will do.
Anatomy-BRS, Netter's Atlas just about any edition will do
Histo-Ross and Pawlina is all you need.
That's it, everything else is extra and up to you. Remember that MCB is a 2 semester course so, you'll figure out if you need any additional book while you are here. BRS is a BOARD review so its useless in the 1st semester for Biochem or Cell or Molecular. You gotta learn the material before you review it. Hope it helps!

HopefulMD21
08-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Guys, relax, here is what you need for the 1st semester:
MCB-Lippincott's Biochemistry, either Read and Donna genetics or Emery's will do.
Anatomy-BRS, Netter's Atlas just about any edition will do
Histo-Ross and Pawlina is all you need.
That's it, everything else is extra and up to you. Remember that MCB is a 2 semester course so, you'll figure out if you need any additional book while you are here. BRS is a BOARD review so its useless in the 1st semester for Biochem or Cell or Molecular. You gotta learn the material before you review it. Hope it helps!

Thanks BY!

19wingz
08-23-2008, 12:44 AM
Not to beat this issue to death, but my uncle suggested purchasing a book on Histology by Wheater. does anyone have an opinion on this book or would Ross/Pawlina be sufficient enough? Thanks n advance!

BiologyBY
08-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Ross and Paulina is ALL you need

atiak
09-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Do we need all of these books listed?

atiak
09-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Please let me know :)

Lorax
09-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Hi All,

Do any current students use e-books? If not, do you have to lug all the textbooks around?

I found the Biochem book on-line in an e-book format, but it doen't have an index or glossary. I just use the search function, but would prefer a regular index and glossary.

slevit1MD
09-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Hi All,

Do any current students use e-books? If not, do you have to lug all the textbooks around?

I found the Biochem book on-line in an e-book format, but it doen't have an index or glossary. I just use the search function, but would prefer a regular index and glossary.
Some people have digital copies of some of the books, but we don't have them officially for purchase. You do not ever need to take your textbook to class. I have a couple books on my computer, but if I'm going to actually read them (which is very rare), I'd rather have a hard copy.

Lorax
09-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Do you use a tablet or regular laptop? How inclusive are the notes and do the profs release them ahead of time?

Itempest
09-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Do you use a tablet or regular laptop? How inclusive are the notes and do the profs release them ahead of time?

The "notes" are basically an exact print-out of the powerpoint slides the professors use to give lecture. So they are about as inclusive as it gets. And I've only been here for 2 weeks so far, but yes, the notes have so far been made available well ahead of time so we actually have them with us in lecture and can follow on and make additional notes on the slides.

You can either print out these notes yourself, follow along on your computer and not have a hard copy at all, or pay the school 150 dollars to print the notes for you for the whole semester.

bjs04f
07-14-2009, 02:47 PM
I had heard it wasnt important to purchase these books, since most people dont use them. Would it be better to get them in the states or at AUC if I do decide to get them?

RfisherMD
07-14-2009, 04:04 PM
I had heard it wasnt important to purchase these books, since most people dont use them. Would it be better to get them in the states or at AUC if I do decide to get them?

Get them here. Plenty of people will be selling them.

dreileen
07-27-2009, 02:10 PM
I have already purchased my tablet PC (which I love) but it does not have a CD or DVD drive. I have been using my desktop to install software onto an external hard drive and then onto the laptop. What do most students do, or what works best - a docking station or perhaps just an external DVD drive? Is the virtual microscope CD set worth it for histology?

RfisherMD
07-27-2009, 04:45 PM
I have already purchased my tablet PC (which I love) but it does not have a CD or DVD drive. I have been using my desktop to install software onto an external hard drive and then onto the laptop. What do most students do, or what works best - a docking station or perhaps just an external DVD drive? Is the virtual microscope CD set worth it for histology?

I also have a tablet without a DVD drive. I bought an external one just in case but haven't used it much. If you need something you can make an ISO on another computer. Don't bother with the virtual microscope set.

sunandsand
08-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Stupid question, but I'm gonna ask anyways....
Will 2nd edition Lippincott's illustrated review of biochem be good enough for MCB?...or should I get the most recent 4th edition?

RfisherMD
08-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Stupid question, but I'm gonna ask anyways....
Will 2nd edition Lippincott's illustrated review of biochem be good enough for MCB?...or should I get the most recent 4th edition?

Get whichever one someone is selling down here. No need to lug books with you.

Dreamy
08-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Sound like everyone's advising to purchase books from the island. Is there ever a chance that all the used books are gone, and books are not availabe on the island anymore.

bananaboat
03-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Truthfully, buy Netter and BRS Gross Anatomy. That's it. Put that and your laptop in a backpack and put it on the plane with you. You have 100 lbs of stuff you can bring as check in. I recommend school supplies, cloths, snacks that you absolutely have to have that you've basically grown to love, because junk food here is far and few.

There are no donuts on the island, and ice cream is pricey.

Before the school starts, uppers will have a weekend swapmeet and you can pick up other books if you see fit. They're usually around $5-20/book. So if you don't want to buy a $50 BRS, you can find an older edition for $5-10. My roomate bought a Netter for $5.

Hope this helps.

bananaboat
03-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Bring cash...lots and lots of cash. You're probably not going to be able to go to the bank right away, and the USD is king down here. Well at least on the Dutch side. On the Frenchie side, you'll have to use Euros, but there are a few stores that'll take USD.

The school is good about taking you guys on a tour the first week. You'll probably get to see the island and go shopping at that time (like for grocery).

Bring about $600-800 on you. I brought $500 and wish I would have brought more.

bogey
03-11-2010, 04:37 PM
maybe you haven't been out much but there are world class pastries, including beignets (fried dough), that will satisfy a doughnut craving and then some.

and there are plenty of atms to pull u.s. dollars from with no extra fees... i think b of a works with scotia and my bank allows wib and scotia with no fees.

also, i have been all over the french side and have never, ever had a problem using us dollars... if there are places that don't take dollars, then they're very few and far between.

i do agree with you on the books for first semester--brs and netter's.

bananaboat
03-11-2010, 05:18 PM
You're right, when you're a poor starving med student with no car, you're options are very limited. Studying is usually the most viable option left to such a fellow as myself and thought of worldly cosmopolitan things as french pastries and sugar plum fairies are a far cry to the harsh realities of passing my classes...hmmmm.

Well just let me park my frickin 30 million yaht out in the bay and roll around town in my Bentley and go pick up some fried pastries. Oh wait, we have blocks just around the corner.

This is advice for the new incoming students. When they've had time to settle in, THEN they can go exploring. It takes time. Geez.

You have the time to reflect on what you've experienced because you're probably an upper. For the rest of us, this is just the first step.

Patience young Jedi.

cms
03-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Personally I am not looking for French pastries the Friday before blocks, but rather am craving chocolate and a caffeine drip. More importantly some of us are paying cash and not funny money (ie loans) so we care about what things cost as that $20 pastry ($10 in gas and $10 for the pastry) is gonna cost you $45 by the time you pay it off. Maybe I should refer you to the story about the chick $550K in debt?

Oh and the food is far better IN Paris (or in NYC for that matter), so not so sure about world class. Way better than the cafeteria and certainly far superior to my fridge but no so sure I would rate it 5 stars.:-smiley7

bogey
03-12-2010, 07:22 PM
well there you have it then...

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.