PDA

View Full Version : does anybody get rejected at smu?

Beebopash
07-25-2007, 07:25 PM
Know anybody who didn't manage to get in smu? I don't mean to flame anybody but the order of things when it comes to admission in medical school is

1) aim for us med school
2) If failed to get in US med school try the big 4 in Caribbean or Europe
3) If you fail get in big 4 or reputable universities in Europe aim for other reputable Caribbean universities such as smu or mua-n

I am just curious as to how many people fail to get in med school after these 3 steps and commit to a new school which has just sprung up. CMU for example has just reported that 38 student starting 1st semester this fall. Why on god's green earth would anybody want to spend hundreds of thousands of dollar committing to a medical institute without any proven track record ?

mbergwal
07-25-2007, 07:38 PM
That's pretty darn close, I don't know of too many people that chose to by-pass USMD schools altogether and just applied to Carib. For most it offers a second chance at doing what we've always wanted to do, practice medicine. SMU has no restrictions in my home state (Oklahoma) and becuase of it's reviews and location of the school it was my first choice. GOOOOOO SMU Prairie Dogs (new mascot I made up for the school!)

azulpanther
07-25-2007, 08:01 PM
i know of a couple that didnt get accepted.

CMU and SMU are on completely different levels. SMU it def on its way up. Do a lil search, there are many threads in this forum that give reasons why SMU is a good school

Junito
07-25-2007, 08:13 PM
That's pretty darn close, I don't know of too many people that chose to by-pass USMD schools altogether and just applied to Carib. For most it offers a second chance at doing what we've always wanted to do, practice medicine. SMU has no restrictions in my home state (Oklahoma) and becuase of it's reviews and location of the school it was my first choice. GOOOOOO SMU Prairie Dogs (new mascot I made up for the school!)

Don't think the Praire dogs would be a good fit...Maybe SMU Caimans? or SMU stingrays? Those are most likely to be found on the island (well Caimans have been found in the past).

AmericanIMG
07-25-2007, 08:34 PM
SMU Islanders. our mascot can be WWE's Caribbean Cool.

also, i don't know of too many people that get rejected from Ross...

lastly, i know of quite a few older students who just applied and went to SMU (this was before the MCAT requirement) that didn't bother sitting for MCAT/applying to US schools.

JTP73
07-25-2007, 09:06 PM
SMU Islanders. our mascot can be WWE's Caribbean Cool.

also, i don't know of too many people that get rejected from Ross...

lastly, i know of quite a few older students who just applied and went to SMU (this was before the MCAT requirement) that didn't bother sitting for MCAT/applying to US schools.That's exactly what I did. And thanks for saying oldER! haha ;) Man, not going back and studying organic and physics has really hurt me in med school -- yeah, right -- I saved however much the MCAT costs and a lot of time and grief IMHO.

Jeep23Guy
07-25-2007, 09:43 PM
I wouldn't say your steps are always true, either. I applied to US schools, didn't get in, then applied only to SMU.

AmericanIMG
07-25-2007, 10:26 PM
i am getting deja vu from this thread.

drjohnwebb
07-26-2007, 07:44 AM
deja vu? Is that in micro? I haven't had that yet.. LOL

Sounds like something that causes the runs..

dr-2b
07-26-2007, 09:25 AM
I chose SMU after many hours of research and found that it would give me a great opportunity to become a doctor especially when I'm not getting any younger and time is against me :wheelcha:. I did not want to wait longer to get into US med school. Didn't want to have to retire :fishing:after I graduated from med school .

Laurie S
07-26-2007, 10:35 AM
I heard of 2 people that were rejected by SMU due to their less than professional behavior at their prior school.

jhoff6017
07-26-2007, 11:16 AM
I have to disagree that SMU accepts just anyone. I know of quite a few applicants who were rejected from SMU even after being accepted to one or more of the "big 4".
SMU is not the school that it was a year or two ago. They have raised the bar for admissions and the coursework at SMU is no joke. For those who did manage to slip by the admissions commitee two years ago, they have paid the price by failing out or barely getting by and failing step.

raesong
07-26-2007, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't say your steps are always true, either. I applied to US schools, didn't get in, then applied only to SMU.

Same here, I didn't apply to all the big 4 except for AUC (heard through Princeton Review). At that time, I did not know that a "big four" ranking list existed. I didn't have the time to research about Carib schools back then, too busy with life, then came across St. Matthew's at my school's bulletin board. I then did a research on the school and liked it, so I decided that if i'm gonna go to the Carib I want to go to SMU.

camryllionareMD
07-26-2007, 11:20 PM
Same here, I didn't apply to all the big 4 except for AUC (heard through Princeton Review). At that time, I did not know that a "big four" ranking list existed. I didn't have the time to research about Carib schools back then, too busy with life, then came across St. Matthew's at my school's bulletin board. I then did a research on the school and liked it, so I decided that if i'm gonna go to the Carib I want to go to SMU.

Me too. I kinda just looked at carribean schools as a whole and their requirements and credentials. Of all the ones I applied to, SMU admin was the most straight forward. I went with SMU coz Ross lost my transcripts and MCATs and I was just having a hard time with correspondence, so I picked SMU.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.