PDA

View Full Version : 1st Semester Text Books ???????

Khushboo
07-20-2007, 11:13 PM
I know this may have been answered a bunch of times on the forum...but please humor me....

I'm confused as to which books and study tools I should/shouldn't order.
What has everyone bought and what has been helpful?

So far I have the following in my shopping cart:

Histo Text
Embryo Text
Biostat Text
Atlas of Human Anatomy
Essential Clinical Anatomy
BRS Embryo
BRS Histo
BRS Physio
Steadmans Medical Dictionary

Is this all I reallly need or do I need other stuff too??? :confused:

Are older editions OK or should I opt for newer ones??

Thanks soooooo much!

dr-2b
07-21-2007, 12:45 AM
I know this may have been answered a bunch of times on the forum...but please humor me....

I'm confused as to which books and study tools I should/shouldn't order.
What has everyone bought and what has been helpful?

So far I have the following in my shopping cart:

Histo Text
Embryo Text
Biostat Text
Atlas of Human Anatomy
Essential Clinical Anatomy
BRS Embryo
BRS Histo
BRS Physio
Steadmans Medical Dictionary

Is this all I reallly need or do I need other stuff too??? :confused:

Are older editions OK or should I opt for newer ones??

Thanks soooooo much!

First Aid USLME
BRS Gross Anatomy - New release on September
I also got the Netter's Anatomy Flash Cards

Khushboo
07-21-2007, 01:14 AM
Is it

First Aid for the USMLE Step 1: 2007 (First Aid for the Usmle Step 1)

Or

First Aid Q&A for the USMLE Step 1 (First Aid)

?

Also the BRS ...they're the books not flash cards, right?

drJane23
07-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Is it

First Aid for the USMLE Step 1: 2007 (First Aid for the Usmle Step 1)

Or

First Aid Q&A for the USMLE Step 1 (First Aid)

get both:) thats what i did.

Also the BRS ...they're the books not flash cards, right?
yeah get the BRS books. i bought the netters flashcards also. super awesome i must say!

fhs623
07-21-2007, 04:12 PM
are the BSR review books required for the first semester, or optional?It seems like the BSR books are real helpful

drjohnwebb
07-21-2007, 05:09 PM
They are helpful. I don't know who will be teaching you anatomy next semester. Dr. C is leaving.. and you don't need ANYTHING when he teaches. Dr. S give you most of the material too, however other teachers.. just don't cut it. You will have to study and learn a lot on your own.

Barney Rebel
07-22-2007, 09:23 AM
What!!! Dr. C is leaving?!! What a huge loss for the school. He is such an excellent teacher. It will be hard to fill his shoes.

drjohnwebb
07-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Yeah.. he is the man, when it comes to anatomy. I hate to see him go. Dr. K, that is teaching histo and some anatomy is leaving too.

IF your anatomy teacher isn't good, someone from our class will give you the notes we have.

However.. some teacher like to give "tricky" test. I don't really see the reasoning behind being tricky with questions. I can understand having a hard question that requires you to think, but some of the teachers seem to like giving questions that are just straight tricky. One teacher will put 2 or 3 right answers in the problem.. and all of them are equally right. However... he has an idea of which one HE thinks is the best and you have to put that one down. Oh yeah.. he may not have ever taught you that material either, you are just supposed to know it.. because he does.

Just letting you know what to look for. It helps to just know the material.

As far as books go, I am sitting here this morning reading out of Moore, for anatomy. I let someone borrow this book for most of the semester (since I didn't really need it). I got it back a week ago. WOW.. I should have been reading this the whole time. The one I have is the Clinically Oriented Anatomy, not the essitials one. This one is really big and it has EVERYTHING in it. BRS books are good, but remember, they only cover the highlights.

OK.. back to the book I go.. Block 3 anatomy is a kick in the head.

susheel
07-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Only buy the BRS for those courses and an anatomy atlas..thas all you need...everything else is a waste of money atleast for the 1st sem

UFTim
07-22-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm the first to agree that money is tight, and it's tough buying all the books. However, you should have a text for each subject you take. BRS is a review series and is only sufficient for covering key topics. Some topics only have one bullet underneath them in the BRS, and further exposition is needed in a text. If you don't purchase a text for each class, you should at least subscribe to accessmedicine.com or uptodate. Accessmedicine.com is good because you search a topic and it results in textbook chapters that you can read online (Lange textbooks).

drjohnwebb
07-22-2007, 07:00 PM
I agree... you can use BRS and get through classes.. but boards aren't going to test you from BRS..

By the way.. I have a few BRS books in PDF format... if anyone is interested. Save your money and I will GIVE you the PDF file. IT is the book.. just on your comp.

I have Histo, Anatomy and a high yield embryo.

Khushboo
07-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone! :)

Okay so from the mixed opinions I've gathered...Most say I should still buy the texts blc I'll be ultimately tested from them and they are very thorough...

BRS is helpful, but covers basics and Dr John Webb Has the BRS books on PDF....hopefully I can coax him into sending them my way....;) Therefore, I won't need to buy those.

Hmmm Need to buy the Netters flash cards and...I guess thats it?

What about First Aid? Do I need it now or before the USMLE?

Of course if I later on decide that I need a particular book...I can always order it to be shipped to me on the Island....Would that take long?

If any of the books arent necessary...Maybe I can sell them to a Jan 07 1st semester student...MUHAHAHHAHAHAAA

mdhope
07-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Surprisingly, the text books arrive pretty quickly to the school.

Anamarie13
07-22-2007, 11:21 PM
For the first semester reqd books, do we really need all 3 of the medical dictionaries?

Which would you get and are they much different?

Ive already spent more than i care to admit on books...

drjohnwebb
07-23-2007, 12:00 AM
Well... you have the internet.. why would you need a medical dictionary...??

I would not buy any books until you get here. See if 1st sem students are dumping theirs, if not after the first week, you can order from University bookstores and they will be here in 4-5 days.

You won't really need them before then.. especially if you have BRS, which you can pick up here cheap and/or get the few I have on PDF

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.