PDA

View Full Version : A few questions from a Fall 07 incoming student

kdsingh
07-17-2007, 03:32 PM
hey guys, I'm starting this september, but I had a few questions. Is it worth it to bring sports equipment down? I know there will be a lot of studying, but it would be nice to get some tennis and/or golf in if possible. The other question concerns internet access, I saw that there is wireless internet access according to the website, but does that include the RH as it is 2miles away? If not I would just bring a wireless router. Thanks in advance.

drjohnwebb
07-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Well.. you won't need the router in the RH, in fact you can't use it there. You may want to bring it for when you move out.

You can bring it if you want, not much time for anything. I wouldn't bring golf clubs.. I am sure it is not cheap to play golf at THE course here. Tennis racket if fine. If you have snokeling equipment, you might want to bring that.

BRING AN UMBRELLA.. for the rainy season.. I hate the rain!! Sometimes it seems like it rains for weeks straight. Lately, it has been nice though.

mbergwal
07-17-2007, 04:15 PM
I have a quick question...haven't decided on getting a car or not (probably bus it at first) but would like to have a bike for excercise...do most people bring their bikes down there or just buy them when they get to the island??

dr-2b
07-17-2007, 04:46 PM
I thought about bringing golf clubs but the last time I was there I spent about $150 US on golf. Little pricey and the golf course wan't that great.

kdsingh
07-17-2007, 05:43 PM
ouch thats pretty expensive, From what i can tell there are 3 courses...one at the hilton, another i can't remember the name of, and a 3rd course that is a par 3 course. The hilton looks expensive all the time, as well as the other full par course, but it seemed like it had pretty decent twilight rates. I think i'll just leave them until after i get there and can judge things for myself.

Diva
07-18-2007, 07:49 PM
If you are going to bring golf clubs and other sports equipment, i would only do it if you are shipping half your stuff.
By bringing it with you, you are leaving your self less room for other...more important stuff...like books ;)

i am bringing all my diving gear, its alot and its heavy...but i am shipping other nonessential items. So this leaves me room to bring my gear without paying extra fees.

smu79
07-18-2007, 08:25 PM
I have a quick question...haven't decided on getting a car or not (probably bus it at first) but would like to have a bike for excercise...do most people bring their bikes down there or just buy them when they get to the island??
I brought two bikes down there at no extra charge!

tampanian
07-19-2007, 11:20 AM
I thought about bringing golf clubs but the last time I was there I spent about $150 US on golf. Little pricey and the golf course wan't that great.

I was glad I had my clubs while on the island. Every few weeks, I would hit a bucket of balls on the driving range at Safehaven. Its located right behind the school and its a great stress reliever. A small bucket was 6US and a large 12US.

I played on three courses while I was there; The Links at Safehaven, Britannia, and another one located inland that I cannot remember the name of.

Safehaven was my favorite. Its a decent course but yes its a little expensive. 18-holes was 70US, and 9 was 40US. I told the guy in the shop that I was a student, and asked if he could he give me a little better rate. Hed let me play 9 after 4pm for 20US, maybe you could ask about something like that. I didnt play the course that much because that rate was for during the week and I usually hi-tailed it home after school to study.

Britannia was not that great in my opinion, although its worth a visit. For about half the week it was an 18-hole executive (par 3) course, the other days theyd pull every other flag and make it a 9-hole course. The 18-hole had some fun / unique holes but that 9-hole was too difficult for me as the fairways were very tight and tough to hit. I forgot what they used to charge.

The third course was somewhere inland and was below average. I dont remember the name, however I do recall it was very cheap to play.

Sebastien Guilbard
07-19-2007, 06:03 PM
The Third golf course is at the Ritz Carlton and unless you have an apartment in the Ritz Residences or stay at the hotel, you cannot use it.
The two golf courses on island are:
Safehaven
Britannia

911Med
07-19-2007, 07:24 PM
The Third golf course is at the Ritz Carlton and unless you have an apartment in the Ritz Residences or stay at the hotel, you cannot use it.
The two golf courses on island are:
Safehaven
Britannia

That is the game plan AFTER graduating and working in medicine for 25 years. Its all in the master plan....

tampanian
07-19-2007, 08:28 PM
The third place I was thinking of was called Sunrise Family Golf Centre. It must have closed (possibly due to Ivan). It wasnt that great of a course but very affordable.

http://www.sunrisecayman.com/golf.htm (http://www.sunrisecayman.com/golf.htm)

That is the game plan AFTER graduating and working in medicine for 25 years. Its all in the master plan....

I hear yalolweve got a ways to go!

kdsingh
07-20-2007, 10:34 PM
what would be the best way to ship things? i am probably going to bring too much stuff with me (lcd tv, ps3, sports equip), but i'd rather not use it instead of wishing i had it...and i know i'll be paying a 20% customs duty on the TV.

Pokerslut
07-21-2007, 01:59 AM
what would be the best way to ship things? i am probably going to bring too much stuff with me (lcd tv, ps3, sports equip), but i'd rather not use it instead of wishing i had it...and i know i'll be paying a 20% customs duty on the TV.

You could get lucky and not have to pay a duty on your television. I flew in on a Saturday (not sure if that was a factor) -- and all they asked me is if I had cigarettes or alcohol. Said no and left the counter without going through my stuff. This was the case for many but not all.

My suggestion would be to have a relative or friend come with you. If I could do it over again I would of had my brother come down with me for a mini vacation and loaded up his luggage with more of my things. Not sure where you're flying from but this way you would have peace of mind knowing your stuff is relatively safe traveling with you.

Best of luck. Off the top of my head of things I wish I would of brought. An external harddrive, extra flash drive, more clothes, better quality slippers/sandles (if you wear them everyday they can get worn out quick), LCD television, more of my favorite pens. A lot of things are available here-- but cost and variety is a hit or miss. Oh yeah, I would of gotton a car sooner and not waited to get a "feel for things". Especially if you are the type of person that prefers to study at the library. The bus does not run very late here. Stops running about 7 or 8.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.