PDA

View Full Version : St.George's FOM or St.Matthew's?

vroom624
07-16-2007, 01:14 PM
I got accepted to both, which school should I choose? I am leaning toward SGU's FOM, but I keep thinking is SGU really that much better considering it costs twice as much than SMU? Please let me know your thoughts!

azulpanther
07-16-2007, 01:33 PM
please tell me that u fell on ur head. the obvious choice is SGU. only advantage that smu has over SGU is the quality of island. Grenada isnt so bad, its no grand cayman, but it def is not dominica.

SGU has advantage over everything else. better campus, better facilities, better reputation. SGU does cost more, but in the long run this shouldnt matter.

Do urself a favor and go with SGU unless you have a specific circumstance that will make going to smu a better option for you.

MORM4LIFE
07-16-2007, 01:51 PM
please tell me that u fell on ur head. the obvious choice is SGU

please tell me that you ........ (alright I'm going to watch myself as to not get banned by the evil moderators)... but there is no obvious choice, maybe to you there is, but do not assume that people that choose smu over sgu brain dead, I personally picked smu.

Godschosenone
07-16-2007, 01:56 PM
SGU has the better reputation
but It depends on your plan.
I chose SMU over SGU
because SGU wanted me to do premed.
If i had gone there i would be in 3rd semester
right now rather than 3rd year.

aaron1483
07-16-2007, 02:02 PM
you have to ask yourself if you want twice the amount of debt for the possibility of practicing in california

azulpanther
07-16-2007, 02:18 PM
SGU has the better reputation
but It depends on your plan.
I chose SMU over SGU
because SGU wanted me to do premed.
If i had gone there i would be in 3rd semester
right now rather than 3rd year.

I know alot of people including myself that would start all over just to go to a school like SGU or any US med school. Much better opportunities down the line. Its worth the extra sacrifice.

Godschosenone
07-16-2007, 03:31 PM
I dont know, maybe a US school but when it comes
to clinicals a carib school is a carib school is a carib school.
Nobody apart from those that attend these schools seem
to give a toss.

cavalletti
07-16-2007, 03:38 PM
[quote=vroom624;635848]I am leaning toward SGU's FOM, but I keep thinking is SGU really that much better considering it costs twice as much than SMU? /quote]

I would be surprised if it were twice as much.

drjohnwebb
07-16-2007, 04:03 PM
I love SMU.. and I am very happy I came here.

However.. if finances are not an issue.. got to SGU.

I don't think you will get twice the education (for twice the tuition), but there are advantages. You get US loans, very nice campus, good teachers, good rotations and they get more specialties.

If you want to do FM, IM or Peds, it won't matter.. Go to SMU and save $100,000. IF you want to do a hard to get into specialty.. might want to think of SGU.

Give SMU 3-4 years (if the investors put more money into the school, teachers and rotations).. and it will be as good as ANY school. SGU has so much money (since they charge twice as much) they can afford to give you most things.. at a higher level.
If students where willing to pay almost 20K a semester at SMU, I am sure most of the issues students have here, would vanish.

Just my two cents.. and that is all it is worth..

mongo18
07-16-2007, 04:17 PM
I dont know, maybe a US school but when it comes
to clinicals a carib school is a carib school is a carib school.
Nobody apart from those that attend these schools seem
to give a toss.

That is Simply Not true!

hobogumm
07-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Other than our Path II professor- SMU has nothing else going for it. So please, do yourself a favour- and dont even give it a second thought- go to SGU for goodness sake! You will be thankful when you reach 5th semester and go on for clinical rotations that you chose to do so....

dont buy into all the bull that the admissions office might be saying to reel you in- seeing as though they took it upon themselves to rent out an entire other building for the fall semester (anyone want a free tee shirt for reccomending a student?! hehe) bottom line, most students curse this school on a daily basis- and everyday i regret not working a little harder on my MCATs- GO TO SGU-dont walk- run

Think of it this way- do you want to go to a medschool that is in rented office space? hahahah if only i knew....

azulpanther
07-16-2007, 06:39 PM
Other than our Path II professor- SMU has nothing else going for it. So please, do yourself a favour- and dont even give it a second thought- go to SGU for goodness sake! You will be thankful when you reach 5th semester and go on for clinical rotations that you chose to do so....

dont buy into all the bull that the admissions office might be saying to reel you in- seeing as though they took it upon themselves to rent out an entire other building for the fall semester (anyone want a free tee shirt for reccomending a student?! hehe) bottom line, most students curse this school on a daily basis- and everyday i regret not working a little harder on my MCATs- GO TO SGU-dont walk- run

Think of it this way- do you want to go to a medschool that is in rented office space? hahahah if only i knew....

man your post is kinda harsh. I agree SMU is not up to par to SGU but its not that horrible of a place. I truly believe SMU is tied for 2nd behind SGU for 2nd best school. SMU has its problems but we are improving with each and every semester. Shelf scores are going up. STEP 1 passing rates are on the rise. This school has grown alot since I first started here. There are problems here, but its no where as bad as you claim it to be.

Jebus
07-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Most people will complain no matter what, im sure hobogumm would have had bad things to say about SGU if she had gone there, cant please everyone.
I could have gone to SGU but I came to SMU instead and I dont regret it, its not for everyone but its also not a horrible place.

drjohnwebb
07-17-2007, 06:48 AM
I agree. I went to a great chiro school, but ALL my professors weren't great. So what.. Things are never going to be perfect, but you deal with what you have. It will make you stronger in the end.
SGU is a great school and SMU is a really good school. But, at the end of the day.. I don't know of any on here that have been to both and can really compare then.
Go with your gut. You will be fine either way. Remember.. if you got accepted to both, you can transfer after one semester, either way if you want (even if you lose credit).

Good luck in your journey.

UFTim
07-17-2007, 08:36 AM
Godschosenone is right that a Carib school is a Carib school in the fact that you have the same issues and drama associated with the attendance and matriculation from these institutions. I hear AGAIN and AGAIN that board scores, competency in clinicals, people liking you, and low level of cockiness are more important than where you went to school. I cannot emphasize enough the LOW LEVEL OF ARROGANCE. I know a program director who said he would never take a Hopkins guy because they think they know better because "that's how they do it at Hopkins".

He said the number one thing he looks for is whether or not you'll kill the patients in the hospital (very serious). He then looks for board scores, teachability, and minimal arrogance (which demonstrates teachability and that you'll look something up and not kill a patient by being a know-it-all).

azulpanther
07-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Godschosenone is right that a Carib school is a Carib school in the fact that you have the same issues and drama associated with the attendance and matriculation from these institutions. I hear AGAIN and AGAIN that board scores, competency in clinicals, people liking you, and low level of cockiness are more important than where you went to school. I cannot emphasize enough the LOW LEVEL OF ARROGANCE. I know a program director who said he would never take a Hopkins guy because they think they know better because "that's how they do it at Hopkins".

He said the number one thing he looks for is whether or not you'll kill the patients in the hospital (very serious). He then looks for board scores, teachability, and minimal arrogance (which demonstrates teachability and that you'll look something up and not kill a patient by being a know-it-all).

no way. Ross and SGU are respected by many as being at least an adequate medical school. My undergrad's pre-med department would only give out brochures and information on these 2 schools.

I found out about SMU through word of mouth and by visiting this forum. When I got accepted to SMU I went back to my pre-med department to tell them about SMU and they told me straight up that they don't endorse any other school other than ROSS or SGU.

Perhaps in personal experience Ross, SGU and SMU are similar, but on paper ROSS AND SGU, especially SGU is heads over heels better than SMU.

stateofequilibrium
07-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Bottom line is SGU will give you more opportunities than SMU will. SGU is accepted in all 50 states, has very active research departments, and impressive matches for a Caribbean school. Their campus is also very large, and by all accounts has a solid infrastructure. Plus, it's been proven that the US Marines will rescue you if the commies come over again :-)

MORM4LIFE
07-17-2007, 11:45 AM
no way. Ross and SGU are respected by many as being at least an adequate medical school. My undergrad's pre-med department would only give out brochures and information on these 2 schools.

I found out about SMU through word of mouth and by visiting this forum. When I got accepted to SMU I went back to my pre-med department to tell them about SMU and they told me straight up that they don't endorse any other school other than ROSS or SGU.

perhaps this maybe cause of experience, ross and sgu have been around forever especially sgu. smu is a relatively new school and maybe hasn't made the orientation for your old school yet. I'm sure ross has traveled the country going to school after school looking for money bags/recruits. In time SMU will do the same once word gets out a little more.

AmericanIMG
07-17-2007, 12:13 PM
the match has ONLY to do with the STUDENT and their performance! if you get a 260 from SMU u will match where u want (as long as u are a US citizen). please stop assuming things! a 186 from SMU and a 186 from Ross have NO difference.

vroom624
07-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Thank you all for your replies! I guess I have a big decision to make.

got milk?
07-17-2007, 02:09 PM
The bottom line is, you get what you pay for when you go caribbean.

At sgu, you will not have clinical mishaps like Ross does. Even SMU clinicals have hiccups. At SGU, you will not have to think about whether a clinical rotation is ACGME or not. You will not have to vie for clinical spots based on your step 1 score. There is no lottery. once you pass Step 1, you get pushed through 3rd year.

SGU administration is well coordinated. You never hear about students getting bumped during clinical rotations. They have enough spots for everyone.

Better reputation, better school, more opportunities. No one will ask "what the hell is SGU?"

You'd be stupid not to spend $50000 more (at the end of 4 years) to attend SGU.

$50000 is TOTALLY worth the price to practice in all 50 states. Debt is nothing compared to the hundreds of thousands of dollars you are going to make.

Look at it this way. If doodoo happens during your 3rd/4th years because of an incompetent administration, you just lost out on one year's salary, which is $175,000 or more.

extra $50000 is totally worth the investment.

If you like cars...
SGU is the lexus
SMU is the Acura.
Which do you want?

drjohnwebb
07-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Well.. everyone wants the Mercedes.. but apparently we didn't get in there, now did we?

Also.. SGU is around 100K more than SMU in tuition.

mbergwal
07-17-2007, 03:10 PM
I love having my pathway to a career in medicine compared to an Acura.....what a spot-on analogy

cavalletti
07-17-2007, 03:14 PM
. Remember.. if you got accepted to both, you can transfer after one semester, either way if you want (even if you lose credit).

Good luck in your journey.

Not sure if johnwebb is suggesting transfering into SGU.....SGU doesn't accept transfers.

got milk?
07-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Not sure if johnwebb is suggesting transfering into SGU.....SGU doesn't accept transfers.

he was saying sacrifice a semester, and start over from 1st semester.

drjohnwebb
07-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Yes.. you can go from SGU to SMU, but if you decide to go to SGU, you can, you just lose one semester that way. But.. at least you know this way... and if you get to SGU and don't like it..SMU will take you back... And you should really know anatomy and histo by then...LOL

cavalletti
07-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Yes.. you can go from SGU to SMU, but if you decide to go to SGU, you can, you just lose one semester that way. But.. at least you know this way... and if you get to SGU and don't like it..SMU will take you back... And you should really know anatomy and histo by then...LOL

Sounds very expensive

drjohnwebb
07-17-2007, 09:22 PM
This is med school... everything is expensive.
10-20K more isn't going to hurt you, with the debt you will have in the end.

You can always just flip a coin and there you go..

Kronos
07-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Then this will be the easiest decision you will make in your medical career! Go SGU, all the way. It is not even a contest.

(This is coming from a MS-4 SMU)

Thank you all for your replies! I guess I have a big decision to make.

drjohnwebb
07-17-2007, 09:59 PM
As I said.. I like it here at SMU,,, but I don't know many (if money was not an issue), who would not have gone to SGU instead.

Alumni
07-17-2007, 11:03 PM
I love SMU.. and I am very happy I came here.

However.. if finances are not an issue.. got to SGU.

I don't think you will get twice the education (for twice the tuition), but there are advantages. You get US loans, very nice campus, good teachers, good rotations and they get more specialties.

If you want to do FM, IM or Peds, it won't matter.. Go to SMU and save $100,000. IF you want to do a hard to get into specialty.. might want to think of SGU.

Give SMU 3-4 years (if the investors put more money into the school, teachers and rotations).. and it will be as good as ANY school. SGU has so much money (since they charge twice as much) they can afford to give you most things.. at a higher level.
If students where willing to pay almost 20K a semester at SMU, I am sure most of the issues students have here, would vanish.

Just my two cents.. and that is all it is worth..

I don't quite agree with some of your statements. Yes, SGU has been in business and their track record is definitely stronger than SMU but eventually it is the student who make the difference. Remember it is academia which will get you into a competitive program more than the school. All carribean students are in the same pool once they start clinicals...you'll be rotating w/ AUC, Ross, Saba etc. along the side. What will stand out is the grades, boards, LORs etc. not SGU vs. Ross vs. SMU etc. Yes there are programs that are used to taking grads from certain schools but they do also look @ other applicants as well (w/ strong background). i.e. **St. J** (in michigan etc.).Yes, SMU has to invest in teachers but eventually it'll be upto students not the teachers . As I mentioned in my previous post (long time ago), several of SMU grads are specializing now, again it is mainly due to SMU being a newer school vs. SGU who has been in business for awhile. SMU also do have decent rotations, matter of fact two of the sites where SMU students rotate are the same site where SGU used to conduct rotations. SGU was mainly in NY from what I recall or atleast from my days...(I'm an old fart). Good luck!

got milk?
07-18-2007, 05:50 AM
Then this will be the easiest decision you will make in your medical career! Go SGU, all the way. It is not even a contest.

(This is coming from a MS-4 SMU)

kronos, you've been here a while. Have you had any slip ups that were the school's fault?

drjohnwebb
07-18-2007, 06:49 AM
I don't quite agree with some of your statements. Yes, SGU has been in business and their track record is definitely stronger than SMU but eventually it is the student who make the difference. Remember it is academia which will get you into a competitive program more than the school. All carribean students are in the same pool once they start clinicals...you'll be rotating w/ AUC, Ross, Saba etc. along the side. What will stand out is the grades, boards, LORs etc. not SGU vs. Ross vs. SMU etc. Yes there are programs that are used to taking grads from certain schools but they do also look @ other applicants as well (w/ strong background). i.e. **St. J** (in michigan etc.).Yes, SMU has to invest in teachers but eventually it'll be upto students not the teachers . As I mentioned in my previous post (long time ago), several of SMU grads are specializing now, again it is mainly due to SMU being a newer school vs. SGU who has been in business for awhile. SMU also do have decent rotations, matter of fact two of the sites where SMU students rotate are the same site where SGU used to conduct rotations. SGU was mainly in NY from what I recall or atleast from my days...(I'm an old fart). Good luck!

I agree with you. I just think that step one is very important, and basic science teachers are key to good scores. I don't know how SGU's teachers are, since I have never been there. I just know that some of the SMU teachers are not up to par. Maybe all Carib school, heck... maybe ALL schools are like that (I'm sure to some extent they are). I just believe that SGU has the money to ensure they have top teachers.
However... SMU has been doing well on step one, since they started doing Kaplan as a class in 5th semester now. 97% pass rate and an average score of 214 on step one since they introduced it (basically 2007).

I made my decision of where to go and I am happy.

Kronos
07-18-2007, 07:07 AM
kronos, you've been here a while. Have you had any slip ups that were the school's fault?

No slip ups as of yet. So far the clinical department has been awesome, available and amazing for me - no delays or trouble getting my RAFs for cores (mostly done at Wyckoff, natch) and electives have been relatively painless. And the paperwork for the Match has been going along nicely thanks to them. So I can recommend SMU for that... compared to Ross' clinical department they are a step above. However we must also consider that SMU has much less students than Ross, a newer infrastructure and is still growing. If they don't keep vigilant about their enterprise process, the clinical department can easily devolve with the increased number of students coming in the next couple years. A mixed blessing is that Dr. R and VH in the clinical department seem to like taking baby steps instead of huge leaps when it comes to adding more sites and making improvements. Eh, I can't complain more than I already have at clinical meetings. We forget that SMU's people actually travel regularly to even have meetings with students in the field.

However knowing what I know about the Match and electives and Cali/Texas and all that, would I have gone to SGU, AUC or Ross instead? No doubt. That people even have this debate repeatedly is silly. Perhaps SMU works for certain individuals, many of whom I met on the island who claimed they chose it over Ross. And I can't argue with the logic of passing Basic Sciences at SMU vs. failing first or third semester at Ross and getting booted. But objectively speaking, to answer the OP, there is not even a logical debate here when you are presented with SGU v. SMU.

This is like running the 100 meter dash with better shoes, better food and a 50 meter head start over starting out barefoot, starving and naked.

Kronos
07-18-2007, 07:09 AM
And let us all come to terms with the fact that SMU will be a second tier school until they get Cali and unobstructed licensing in Texas.

Simple as that.

They need to bribe or do whatever it takes to get that approval this decade otherwise they will never rise to the level of SGU, AUC or Ross.

XLNC
07-18-2007, 08:04 AM
the match has ONLY to do with the STUDENT and their performance! if you get a 260 from SMU u will match where u want (as long as u are a US citizen). please stop assuming things! a 186 from SMU and a 186 from Ross have NO difference.

Your'e out of your mind if that's what you think..

Beebopash
07-18-2007, 08:20 AM
Surely a 186 is a 186, where ever u get it from. Its not an exam conducted internally in a university, where reputation may play a part, but its a same test everyone does.

Your'e out of your mind if that's what you think..

drjohnwebb
07-18-2007, 08:46 AM
I think that A LOT of residency programs don't care what Carib school you went to, However.. programs that have taken Carib grads have gotten a taste of who's programs are good and who's aren't.
With Ross and SGU (and AUC), residency directors KNOW these schools, their reps and the graduates' abilities. I do believe that if you don't go to one of these schools (and maybe SABA now) then it doesn't matter. They know the top schools by name and all other schools are grouped in together.

Programs that normally don't take IMGs, you are right, they don't care which one you went to, it wasn't a US school.

stephew
07-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Surely a 186 is a 186, where ever u get it from. Its not an exam conducted internally in a university, where reputation may play a part, but its a same test everyone does.
it doesnt work that way. its not all equal. Some schools have ebtter reps to the program directors so school *does* matter. also the clinical exposure may also influence things to an extent but this is less of an issue with schools with decent clinicals. bottom line:
A 200 from creighton just isnt as good as a 200 from harvard. there is a parallel to some extent here. Which is more important? In any given situation who knows. Obviously the better the usmle the better for you. But school DOES matter.

stephew
07-18-2007, 11:00 AM
I think that A LOT of residency programs don't care what Carib school you went to, However.. programs that have taken Carib grads have gotten a taste of who's programs are good and who's aren't.
With Ross and SGU (and AUC), residency directors KNOW these schools, their reps and the graduates' abilities. I do believe that if you don't go to one of these schools (and maybe SABA now) then it doesn't matter. They know the top schools by name and all other schools are grouped in together.

Programs that normally don't take IMGs, you are right, they don't care which one you went to, it wasn't a US school.
dont forget the human factor. Reality is talk to many doctors, a lot will say they've heard of sgu and their cousins son went the etc. But they've never heard of Start-up U.

I just saw this in action a few nights ago. a good applicant is choosing between two good offshore schools- one he's accepted to, the other wants him to improve his profile. A family member is at a prestigous uni and feels more comfortable with the school that wanted him to reapply because he knows of the rep etc. Actually in this guys case both are good options but the family member physician has a bias because of what he knows. So do the docs who will hire you.

Carib_MD
07-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Go for St. George! its more established. Take it from my experience.

MORM4LIFE
07-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Go for St. George! its more established. Take it from my experience.

[edited for flaming users]...........

XLNC
07-18-2007, 03:18 PM

I guess your'e going to graduate from SMU and acquire orthopedic surgery residency?

Obviously not the case.. The school you graduate from makes a massive difference.

stephew
07-18-2007, 03:24 PM
I guess your'e going to graduate from SMU and acquire orthopedic surgery residency?

Obviously not the case.. The school you graduate from makes a massive difference.
which isnt to say you shouldn't try- but if you have choices going in, school will matter. its just hard to quantify how much in any given sitation.

drjohnwebb
07-18-2007, 03:45 PM

Can you tell me what Carib schools have had someone match into ortho?

got milk?
07-18-2007, 09:37 PM

ross and sgu have both had it. Either they were really good, or had connections.;)

stephew
07-18-2007, 09:43 PM
its not so readily dissmissable as "connections" i hate to tell you. sure having them doesnt hurt, but evne so you have to earn it and be a viable candidate (particularly as an IMG). having said that, i know an sgu person who got ortho who "knew" no one. A few from sgu are on their web site.

Bruce
07-19-2007, 10:53 AM

Hi John,
A student from Saba just matched into Ortho at McMaster in Ontario. An extremely difficult thing to do in Canada, especially Ontario.

azulpanther
07-19-2007, 12:57 PM
good job bruce

drjohnwebb
07-19-2007, 01:35 PM
I just know that Ortho has the lowest percentage of IMGs in it's residency programs.. I think only around 40 IMGs a year get into ortho, nationwide (US of course).

got milk?
07-19-2007, 02:01 PM
I just know that Ortho has the lowest percentage of IMGs in it's residency programs.. I think only around 40 IMGs a year get into ortho, nationwide (US of course).

one of the lowest %ages of US grads too.

drjohnwebb
07-19-2007, 02:08 PM
I know.. but only 2.9% of ortho residents are IMGs.. compared to something like IM.. that is around 60% IMGs..Even derm has a higher percentage of IMGs..

camryllionareMD
07-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Ortho's hard even for US med students to get into, along with Derm. It's just real competetive period..... oh, I just reiterated what's 2 posts above me! Anyway if you're going into family like me, it doesn't really matter how many get into Ortho.

drjohnwebb
07-19-2007, 04:54 PM
FM is around 42% IMGs, just to let you know. FM is a lot different..

Remember this.. only 50% of IMGs (that are US citizens) even match, period. That was only 1347 people last year (not including the few prematch).

FM, last year had 457 programs, offering 2603 spots for first year. US students got 1096 of those and IMGs (all, not just US-IMGS) filled 1215 of those. There were 122 programs that didn't match all spot or 305 unmatches spots.

So basically, FM is fairly wide open for anyone that passes.

msabri
07-21-2007, 05:22 AM
Is it because they hate IMGs so they even leave it unfilled and don't give it to IMGs?

drjohnwebb
07-21-2007, 06:24 AM
No, but some programs might not fill because they don't take IMGs. A lot of programs may not fill because they aren't good programs, because they are in bad locations and other reasons. Remember, a lot of people, including a lot of IMGs, don't apply to certain programs, ie FM and IM, because they want a specialty. THey may only apply to those specialties, without backing themselves up with easier to get programs.

Junito
07-21-2007, 09:15 AM
After the match and the scramble there weren't that many spots available for Family. In fact a lot of the programs met their quota. If you find any that did not make their quota please let me know. I saw the list of open spots, sent a few emails and the response was the same: "Sorry, we met our quota this year".

drjohnwebb
07-21-2007, 09:37 AM
These numbers are from the AAMC's 2007 match stats.
2,603 spots available, 1,096 matched by US grads, 2,299 total spots matched. This would leave 304 spots unmatched.

Family Medicine

# of programs

# of spots

ranked applicants

# ranked/positiion

# matched

%matched

# of UNmatched programs.

Now.. do the "unmatched" spots mean # of prematch, etc? I don't know.

Those are the numbers they report.

got milk?
07-21-2007, 11:32 AM
dude. if you can't get into FM, you can try for Wackoff Heights here in NY. haha.

they seem to take anyone with a pulse. You can speak broken english and still get in.

Kronos
07-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Have you seen the USMLE scores of the IM residents at Wyckoff? :shock:

got milk?
07-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Have you seen the USMLE scores of the IM residents at Wyckoff? :shock:

no. :shock:

don't tell me they all memorized Kaplan books 3x and scored 250+ on everything???

if you look at the pt charts, they write pretty crappy h&p's and progress notes

MD777
07-22-2007, 03:53 AM
many younger ppl here so far have not worked for "very LONG time" on a regular basis. there is NO short cut in life, and again NO one is FOOL either.

you cannot make a person enable to stand up and to WALK again, just simply b/c you "knew" someone that helps you to get in.

furthermore, if you want to continue to be sneaky and to have any short cut, then in time NO ONE will pay the price but yourself.

it is that simple!

its not so readily dissmissable as "connections" i hate to tell you. sure having them doesnt hurt, but evne so you have to earn it and be a viable candidate (particularly as an IMG). having said that, i know an sgu person who got ortho who "knew" no one. A few from sgu are on their web site.

MD777
07-22-2007, 04:02 AM
they do not want to have ppls spontaneously create un-necessary problems for patients who are in pain and suffering.

that applies to ANY JOB that you apply...if you are not good (all aspects incl. tangible & intangile char.), why bother having you around? if you make an error, it will take min. 2 ppl to resovle your issues.

medicine is humatarian nature of business, but it is also money business as well like any field.

it is up to you which direction you will want to take in life!

hopes this help!

Is it because they hate IMGs so they even leave it unfilled and don't give it to IMGs?

MD777
07-22-2007, 04:08 AM
i am so sorry for you that you have to listen to that broken english, as your cretidentials are NOT strong enough to be elsewhere to avoid this condition.

so, get used to have yourself trained to become smarter, as many these IMG are already good docs in their own countries and in practice for many yrs. they are here to get the US citizenship eventually. so, it is a matter of time. this case applies even more so to NYC's Wyckoff, as i know ppl there.

some of them (as you said broken-english speakers) are here w/ loaded money to only aim for establishing US domicile, if they are already in their late 30's or 40's. in addition, they are here to learn english & US med./insurance systems to blend in eventually. many of them are very experienced in clinical skills.

again, there is NO LUCK in anything you do. success only relies on simply hard working.

be kind to yourself and to others first. as a result, one day you may get to choose to live anywhere you want, where no ppl speak w/ broken english or any accent. howeve, for now, unfortunately, you are not there yet. "hopefully", someday, when one comes to visit you in manhattan, paris, london, sfc, or tokyo, china, etc, your doorman has to announce anyone's arrival to gain your permission if any one can visit you. then, you could "choose to AVOID" dealing w/ these ppl w/ broken enlighs and/or heavy accent. until then, you belong to the place, Wyckoff full of immigrants speaking w/ broken english & accents, for now!

:shock:you are criticizing these med residents who cannot speak english well. then, i am also wondering how you JUDGE your patients that speak w/ accents, are inproficient in english, do not much education, or simply could not affored basic health care???:roll:

dude. if you can't get into FM, you can try for Wackoff Heights here in NY. haha.

they seem to take anyone with a pulse. You can speak broken english and still get in.

MD777
07-22-2007, 04:09 AM
the same as above...sorry!

UFTim
07-22-2007, 12:35 PM
I have a feeling this thread may be close to being closed. Please let's stay on topic.

MD777
07-22-2007, 02:53 PM
:rolleyes::D,

I have a feeling this thread may be close to being closed. Please let's stay on topic.

MD777
07-22-2007, 02:55 PM
:rolleyes::D, many of us are guilty!

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.