PDA

View Full Version : If not Health Xpress then what?

jackets5
07-14-2007, 01:14 AM
I was denied by health xpress by myself, then i applied with my grandfather who has outstanding credit around 800 but was denied. He is retired so he has no income could this be the reason i was denied. what type of credit score do they look for?

WSUCougar
07-14-2007, 01:20 AM
I was denied by health xpress by myself, then i applied with my grandfather who has outstanding credit around 800 but was denied. He is retired so he has no income could this be the reason i was denied. what type of credit score do they look for?

Good Question. maybe you could enroll in the Davenport program and then take out Sallie Mae private loans to pay for the SMU portion. There has to be somebody else who was in your same position who have done it.

jackets5
07-14-2007, 01:28 AM
thats what i was thinking of doing. But can you take out that much in Sallie Mae to cover SMU and Davenport. I just checked my credit report and my Equifax score is 653 (so i dont understand why i would get denied). However, some of my Dad's accounts show up when i pull up my credit report. We have the same name just different middle initial my dad did have an account that went into collections about 2 years ago for medical bills which he disputed but still went to collections. im freaking out over this right now

911Med
07-14-2007, 01:49 AM
I was told that all you need is 640. I am not quite there. I woul call MM at the school in Orlando and have him help you. I am really screwed here, accepted, in a no-lease living situation, no car to sell, so I am absolutely ready to start - only problem paying for it.

I am signed up for Davenport, but that only is a small portion.

I will check into Sallie Mae - but everything out there is personal credit based. Darn! I wish we could have access to Federal!!!

Other ideas?

AmericanIMG
07-14-2007, 01:50 AM
u need to fix that credit report ASAP. teri is an option, but its harder to get then health xpress.

good luck!

WSUCougar
07-14-2007, 02:04 AM
the school may be able to pull some strings for you if you talk to them. but be prepared to get bent over by the interest rate if you get approved for a private student loan. the cap is pretty high for private student loans each year, so it just might cover it for you.

Diva
07-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Sallie Mae is not friends with SMU.

Call Mr.M in the financial aid office. He is the credit counselor and he really does his best to figure out the problem.
It could be a simple matter of writing a letter or correcting something on your credit report.
I had a huge problem, where i was deined for both loans, even with 2 different cosigners. It was a matter of doing a little jumping through hoops, in the end, I got approved for both loans and now have a very high credit score, and I didnt need a cosigner.

drjohnwebb
07-14-2007, 09:18 AM
I hate to say it.. and they will tell you the first day of school..

Many students ruin their credit while in school and half way through (or near the end) they get cut off from loans b/c of their credit.

Not being able to pay for medical school is harsh, sad reality.

Good luck with finding a source.

MD777
07-14-2007, 11:25 AM
be sure ALL is fixed before you start. or, you get stuck in the mid semesters, while the int. calc. is still adding. there is NO way out on this matter.

Many students ruin their credit while in school and half way through (or near the end) they get cut off from loans b/c of their credit.

Laurie S
07-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Everyone here is correct. Contact the 3 credit reporting agencies i.e., Equifax, Experian, Transunion. Get your free annual report from all 3 agencies and make sure that all the credit items are yours, not your father's, an ID theft, or company error with similiar names. Detail the items that are not yours. It is up to the agencies to follow-up by contacting the companies and verifying if the information is correct and actually yours. Atleast all these items will have "disputed" noted if a company pulls your report. I believe the correction may take up to 90 days ( I could be wrong). Pay off any credit you have with balances, if possible. Do you have any recent late payments that are yours? Suze Orman internationally acclaimed personal finance expert : The Suze Orman Show : Will & Trust Kit : FICO Kit : Insurance Kit : Women & Money (http://www.suzeorman.com) has a reference section that may help you with this. Good luck :D.

Junito
07-14-2007, 02:23 PM

I went through a situation where I had a credit score around 750, and had a few loans to repay prior to starting medical school. During my second semester my score dropped to a 608 because I was no longer employed (even though I had paid off most of my loans and was current on the others). I freaked out, almost had to drop out of school. I was miraculously approved for the medachiever loan for three semesters. A day before I left Dominica I got the news that Medachiever was no longer approving loans, and I almost had a heart attack (transfered from Ross to SMU). Turns out I applied and was approved prior to the announcement and therefore they were honoring my approval. So I had FA up till 5th semester. Then after 5th I was approved for the Health Express (with no co-signer), again I think it was a miracle. I was able to relax after I received approval for my last three semesters.

Point of the story, you may encounter problems along the way. Be prepared for unforseen problems, and do not leave FA for the last minute. Plan ahead always. When issues arise with FA speak with the higher ups from these loan companies, or get letters of reference from people that vouch for you as a person. I submitted a letter from the local city councilman who vouched for me for the Medachiever. I spoke to people and they gave me a chance. Good luck guys.

Kronos
07-14-2007, 02:46 PM
The best way to keep your score up is to make sure your credit cards are paid off every month. Obviously this means good and sound budgeting and planning. Also, Health Xpress will check the total amount of Installment Debt vs. Revolving Debt on your credit report and issue pre-approvals on that. So if you are making progress through your degree with a definite graduation date, and you have no delinquent or even late accounts, your chances will improve quite a bit. The main thing to look for and ensure on your credit report is that all your credit accounts are current and in good standing, and to minimize your installment debt month-to-month.

garry1977
07-14-2007, 06:50 PM
Hey I guys I was windering a few things:
1. What's the difference between the health express and the Teri loan. I got approved for the Health express which gives you up to supposedly 68,000 a year. Is the intrest rate on Health express any better than the Teri loan. Which is it the better of the two loans?

2. I am also goin to be on residence hall this upcoming semester I know people's spending habits varies but about how much on average you think you would need to live off excluding residence hall for the year. Can 150 US feed you for the week in the Cayman Islands?

3. After the 8900 tuition is paid on average how much more money does the school require in funds per semester during basic sciences and clinical sciences?

4 I am dying to be there already :D

AmericanIMG
07-14-2007, 09:17 PM
1 - healthexpress is good. teri is higher on teh interest from what i remember.
2 - yes, u could get by w/ half that.
3 - differs on ** vs. CS.
4 - i am dying to go back...i miss it!

azulpanther
07-14-2007, 09:24 PM
u could live off 75 bucks a week if u strictly eat at home and limit urself to peanut butter and jelly and eggs. Try to be rational. ITs ok to eat out sometimes, but not all of the times. Sometimes its ok to eat peanut butter and jelly. U could live very cheaply on this island if you chose to do that. 150 bucks a week if u eat out a couple times a week. An average outside meal will run u around 15 bucks US. Thats if u go to Eats the restaurant right next to school.

hxa
07-15-2007, 12:08 AM
I agree with a lot of people on this thread, get your credit reports and go through them and fix everything wrong with them. It takes some time to process, but its well worth it. Get your dads accounts out of your credit report. Talk to school officials, you should be able to work something out.

Make your payments on time and every once in a while check your credit history.

Diva
07-15-2007, 11:06 AM
After my fiasco with with the loans, I check my credit report, all three, every single month.
There are things that you think are being taken care of for you by the credit companies i.e., something is paid off, and that they are reporting it to the credit companies....but in reality they dont care and its your responsibility to make sure that its reported.
PM me if you want the detail of what and how to get it done.

ChanceCount
07-15-2007, 11:25 AM
CreditBoards.com - Credit Help, Credit Repair Tips, News, Forums (http://www.creditboards.com)

drjohnwebb
07-15-2007, 12:06 PM
u could live off 75 bucks a week if u strictly eat at home and limit urself to peanut butter and jelly and eggs. Try to be rational. ITs ok to eat out sometimes, but not all of the times. Sometimes its ok to eat peanut butter and jelly. U could live very cheaply on this island if you chose to do that. 150 bucks a week if u eat out a couple times a week. An average outside meal will run u around 15 bucks US. Thats if u go to Eats the restaurant right next to school.

Azul is right, most students eat at EATS a lot. YOu can eat a full meal for 7.95. So.. if you eat a lite breakfast at home (or get the Eats 2.99 breakfast) and have lunch there, everyday, that would be $11, plus tip...maybe $15 a day.. eating breakfast and lunch at Eats. Yes.. I know that gets old, but.. you can eat out everyday (some place cheap) and eat a little at home and still get by on $150.

I would advise coming here and eating at home as much as possible, then see how your money is after one month, then adjust.
I do breakfast at home, something fast and easy, lunch at school or Eats (sometimes Yoshi), then dinner mostly at home. I may go out for dinner one weekend night, sometime both.

*** I see sooo many students that are eating like crap, not eating enough, etc... you need your brain power and health here. Don't let money worries stop you from eating well, please.

Good Luck..

MD777
07-15-2007, 12:09 PM
always PULL the records/reports YOURSELF FIRST, before you apply any loans or credit cards. so, you KNOW what you have or not have.

always check ALL three (3) credit bureau's reports, as there might be btw 30-50 points diff. then, they usually take ALL 3 avg.

After my fiasco with with the loans, I check my credit report, all three, every single month.
There are things that you think are being taken care of for you by the credit companies i.e., something is paid off, and that they are reporting it to the credit companies....but in reality they dont care and its your responsibility to make sure that its reported.
PM me if you want the detail of what and how to get it done.

drjohnwebb
07-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Don't use freecreditreport.com.. you can get your credit report once a year for free. I can't think of the "official" site, but it shouldn't cost and you shouldn't have to enter a credit card number.

Also.. if there is negative stuff on your credit, dispute it ALL. Sometimes the company doesn't reply and it will be taken off, even if it IS your fault.

Laurie S
07-16-2007, 01:16 AM
I write to them directly. Request free annual report.

Give SS#, DOB, and signature.

Equifax Consumer Relations
P.O. Box 105518
Atlanta, GA 30348

Experian Consumer Relations
P.O. Box 9701
*****, TX 75013

Transunion Consumer Relations
P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19022-2000

:)

mozman
07-16-2007, 01:38 AM
All- This is a good post. Remember one thing, your credit scores will not be the same with each credit bureau. In recent years, many creditors are not reporting to all three agencies due to cost cutting. I believe the following information is still accurate.

HEALTH EXPRESS- Trans Union
TERI- Trans Union
SALLIE MAE- Equifax

I don't know if it completely applies in this case as Sallie Mae may not be a lender to SMU, but it may save time.

For example, if you have a charge off reported to all bureaus and you are applying for TERI (Trans Union), focus on that first and then tackle the derogatory reporting to EQUIFAX and EXPERIAN.

There are many great sources for information out there, Credit Boards is just one. A great feature on Credit Boards.com is "CREDIT PULLS". You put in a credit grantor, and it states the bureau they utilize and provides you with dozens and dozens of user cases of applications, results and the why and why nots.

Hope this helped. :)

gawtti
07-16-2007, 04:20 AM
healthxress pulled my experian not transunion. is it just a random thing? i asked the rep i spoke with over the phone and he said they pull from experian. now i'm confused.:confused:

HEALTH EXPRESS- Trans Union
TERI- Trans Union
SALLIE MAE- Equifax

50ishdoc
07-16-2007, 11:27 AM
I would definately trust ValueMD before I would trust the company that is actually checking the records!

dr-2b
07-16-2007, 11:28 AM
I think it is random. They used equifax for mine.

jackets5
07-16-2007, 11:39 AM
well i got approved today with my grandfather co-signing. they accidently sent the denial letter to both of us before doing the appleal. so a big headache is gone now. but i will be checking and fixing everything in my credit report asap

drjohnwebb
07-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Glad to hear it..

I messed my credit up near the end of chiro school.. I am just now getting everything off and/or fixed from it.

hxa
07-16-2007, 05:23 PM
Good to hear jackets, keep your credit history clean it pays off in many more places.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.