PDA

View Full Version : problems setting up rotations?

eosinophil
07-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Anyone having problems scheduling their rotations? How far in advance do you find out your next rotation and do you have to move around alot? Also how many can you schedule in a row?

I have not yet started clinicals and keep hearing different things.

UFTim
07-06-2007, 04:21 PM
I didn't have problems starting rotations, but I told them I was flexible for the first one. As for rotations in a row, I don't think they line up rotations for the whole year unless you go to Saginaw. Maybe someone else can help with that one. From what I understand, if you're in a city with a lot of sites like NY, Chicago, or Baltimore they'll try to get most of them done there without you having to move much.

got milk?
07-06-2007, 10:30 PM
it varies.

some people have many rotations scheduled ahead of time.

others have only one scheduled at a time.

sometimes, you get rotation assignements at the very last minute!

i think it depends on what your step1 score is and your gpa.

AmericanIMG
07-06-2007, 11:47 PM
it depends on alot of things...mostly your demands really.

if you are flexible with where u want to live and when u want to take the rotations then its much easier. if you are zoned in on certain rotations in certain places w/ certain doctors you are going to be in trouble.

i already have my 4th yr rotations all set up and i am a little over halfway through med3. its all in you and how aggresive you are.

Jeep23Guy
07-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Also, it helps to know when your clinical coordinator has changed. I have been trying to contact my clinical coordinator (phone, email, etc) for weeks with no response only to find out today that the person has changed. I have 5 weeks left in my ob/gyn rotation before I have to leave for a new site and I don't have any rotation set up...I'm only missing med and surg. The only reason I knew I had a new coordinator was from the email we got from the registrar about fall registration.

JTP73
07-07-2007, 12:03 AM
Besides keeping up with who's the clinical coordinator, any other advice for setting up clinicals early/in an organized fashion?

rynobuddy
07-07-2007, 01:33 AM
your at the mercy of the school, absolutely little control in where they send you

Junito
07-07-2007, 10:30 AM
When I was up for my third year the school was pretty flexible. My schedule was a bit hard: all ACGME, most in NYC, aside from FP in Florida, and they had to be back to back. Fourth year is pretty much up to you. Apply early for electives, and you will be set. For some of my classmates they were unable to get all rotations assigned back to back, so they had to take electives in between their cores. Taking IM first helps you have more options for electives since it is a prerequisite for many rotations.

AmericanIMG
07-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Juni,
why did they have to be back to back?

Junito
07-07-2007, 11:59 AM
I was aiming to get a mid year residency, one that starts in Jan. That seems almost impossible right now, but I'm not losing hope.

Drack_MD
07-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Juni, why is the mid year residency impossible? Do you mean it is impossible in general, or just in your case?

Thanks & good luck

I was aiming to get a mid year residency, one that starts in Jan. That seems almost impossible right now, but I'm not losing hope.

Junito
07-07-2007, 02:26 PM
It's almost impossible in general. There are very few places that would take residents off-cycle, and the places that do, all the spots were taken. I was looking into FM, IM, and even Path. Will see how things are once I'm closer to January. I'm scheduled to finish in October, and am planning on studying for Step 3 in the meantime.

AmericanIMG
07-07-2007, 03:22 PM
wow dude mid yr residency...definitely hard to get, because few places run their programs to accept new interns in Jan.

good luck man.

Junito
07-07-2007, 07:04 PM
It was easier to do in the past with programs that did not fill their quota. The match and scramble has filled most spots this year. Very few spots available. Only hope now it seems is if someone decides to drop out of their residency. Not giving up hope yet.

got milk?
07-07-2007, 10:40 PM
how critical is it to get your electives set up in good places? Are some places harder to get than others?

if a person wants to go into family, does it realistically matter where you do your electives? FM goes unfilled every year. It's not high demand

MedChe
07-07-2007, 11:45 PM
Junito has got a point. Match was rough this year. But current interns sometimes just drop out for other reasons. So its all really luck.:twisted:

AmericanIMG
07-08-2007, 03:25 AM
how critical is it to get your electives set up in good places? Are some places harder to get than others?

if a person wants to go into family, does it realistically matter where you do your electives? FM goes unfilled every year. It's not high demand

depends where/what you want to do. as IMGs we can also prematch

:)

Junito
07-08-2007, 07:29 PM

Don't want to start a panic, but most places that previously did not fill their quotas are doing so now. Very few PGY1 postions are available (this includes FM). They are rare and far in between as of now. We'll see how this plays out in the coming months.

AmericanIMG
07-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Don't want to start a panic, but most places that previously did not fill their quotas are doing so now. Very few PGY1 postions are available (this includes FM). They are rare and far in between as of now. We'll see how this plays out in the coming months.

the recent scramble list was still quite high Juni...also, with the crackdown on visas, it helps us IMGs.

;)

Junito
07-08-2007, 08:34 PM
the recent scramble list was still quite high Juni...also, with the crackdown on visas, it helps us IMGs.

;)

The scramble list was high, but all the places I called on the list filled their spots. So after the match + scramble this year programs have been meeting their quotas. This is my experience after contacting 15 programs in May/June. I'm going to start again in October, and hopefully things will be different.

AmericanIMG
07-08-2007, 08:55 PM
yeah, usually all spots are filled w/ scramble. good luck in october man.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.