PDA

View Full Version : people with wives/finances

jackets5
07-03-2007, 11:22 PM
hi, i will be attending SMU in the fall and my GF soon to be fiancee may come with me. Can anyone tell me what type of employment opportunities she would have (she just graduated with a B.S in Buissness/Marketing) She wants to do her masters could she enroll in the davenport program? also could we live in the RH together or would we need to get an apt. perferably one close to school all we need is really a 1 bedroom, what are the costs approx. Please feel free to IM me, i appreciate all the help i can get thanks

Kronos
07-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Get an apartment, not the RH... you want your GF to be comfortable and with plenty of room during the day when she is off work and you are at school. Not to mention a good secure place near campus that you and her can reach within minutes. It's nice to share lunch in the middle of a long day of lectures. :)

As for work, I believe that she needs to apply for a visitors work permit. Not sure how long that takes, though. When I was on the island there was a dude who worked at one of the hotels as a clerk while his wife attended school on campus. They lived a little towards West Bay but they had a great 1 bedroom for $1200 I think. It's a little steep but it was close to the main road and the beach was walking distance, five minutes by bike.

He was doing a distance Master's in Information Tech through his undergrad alma mater via the Net. I'm sure people on the island can contribute more information. But I think you and your GF will do fine, as long as you make the calls early and secure everything ahead of time. Those who have SO's with them on the island do markedly better than the rest of us. :) Best of luck to you.

drjohnwebb
07-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Heres how it goes. You are supposed to live in the RH if you aren't married or don't have kids. You may can get out of that, call Florida.
She can come just as a visitor for up to 6 months. Sometimes they will stamp her passport for 60 days, but she has to renew it at the end of that. To get a job, she has to apply (of course), get hired ... and she will have to leave the island for 2-3 weeks while her work permit goes through. With a business degree, there are MANY jobs here. Look at caymannetnews.com or caycompass.com. I know one has job listings. Look at the Friday's paper, it will be full of jobs and places to live.

Good luck.

jackets5
07-04-2007, 12:41 AM
thanks for the info. can someone tell me what locations are best to live in, in regards to safety, distance to school, bus routes, beach etc. thanks

drjohnwebb
07-04-2007, 12:47 AM
I live right near Georgetown. Anywhere 7 mile beach is kind of high. I personally don't like West Bay. I live around 6 miles from school. You can get a 1bed, 1bath place for around 1500/mth. Plus bills. To be honest... if you don't mind staying in a hotel setting, Treasure Island is a decent deal. 1500/mth, includes utilities, on the beach, 2 miles from school. Sunshine suites is around 2100, right next to the school, utilities included,etc.

You may want to get a short term and look. Remember,.. November.. high season will be back in.. everything will go back up.

zcrat
07-04-2007, 11:08 AM
thanks for the info. can someone tell me what locations are best to live in, in regards to safety, distance to school, bus routes, beach etc. thanks

Hello jackets5,

I thinkg it's great that you both are coming to the island, you to start med school and your GF to experience the interesting life in GC. I also came with my wife when she started med school and we stayed at the RH because of false promises from the person who runs the RH. I will not suggest to stay there, it SUCKS! just think of a college dorm but worse. If you are going to pay that kind of money, get your own place, it will be better for the two of you.
While she went to school, I tried to get a job but it is rediculous the requierements and the wait for a job permit, it takes months to get one. Also, since the government wants to keep the jobs for the islanders, they have priority over non-residents. I applied over a couple of places and I couldn't get a job because of that, however, it worked great because I started my own thing. I decided that since I was not going to work, I needed to make money and the only way to that was by buying and selling things to the locals or who ever needed them. I bouoght and sold cars, TVs, Electronics, etc. and made decent money, and the best part, I did it on my own time.
I see that you want to know which is the best area to live. Let me tell you that West Bay is cheaper than George Town. We were so lucky to find a two bed, 2 bath apartment right on Seven Mile Beach for only 2000CI which it was cheap because we had roomates and everything was splitted 3 way (about 750/person) We know people that have rentals for less than 3000CI. I just saw a 3 bed, two bath house for 2100CI on WB. Do no live in Treasure Island, you can find better places than hotels.
I hope this can help. If you get a car, the distance will not matter because the island is not that big.

Cheers!!!

Sea Dog
07-04-2007, 02:55 PM
You asked People with wives/ finances
hi, i will be attending SMU in the fall and my GF soon to be fiancee may come with me. Can anyone tell me what type of employment opportunities she would have (she just graduated with a B.S in Buissness/Marketing) She wants to do her masters could she enroll in the davenport program? also could we live in the RH together or would we need to get an apt. perferably one close to school all we need is really a 1 bedroom, what are the costs approx. Please feel free to IM me, i appreciate all the help i can get thanks

People with wives (sic!) have their finances (sic!) often jeoperdised particularly if those (many) wives happen to be profligate/spendthrift. Even one wife is quite expensive financially. So to summarize Jackets 5, expect your wives to cut through your finances cosiderably while in Cayman islands.

Barney Rebel
07-04-2007, 05:19 PM

People with wives (sic!) have their finances (sic!) often jeoperdised particularly if those (many) wives happen to be profligate/spendthrift. Even one wife is quite expensive financially. So to summarize Jackets 5, expect your wives to cut through your finances cosiderably while in Cayman islands.

I would like to request an interpreter for the above post. .....What are you talking about?

zcrat
07-04-2007, 05:22 PM

Same here, what are you talking about?

Bringing your spouse/fiancee can be and it is a blessing. You have their moral and physical support and they can help with studying, cooking, and keeping the cost low.

Jeep23Guy
07-05-2007, 11:03 PM

I think if I could decipher what this means, I would take offense to it.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.