PDA

View Full Version : question about school

drJane23
06-29-2007, 01:10 PM
hello!!!

was just wondering if we receive lockers at SMU in 1st semester? for instance, do we always have to bring our gloves for lab to campus everyday or do we get lockers to store things so that way we don't have to bring these types of things to campus every single day???

another question..how is your lab grade calculated into your class for instance, is anatomy lab a big chunk of your grade for the actual anatomy lecture class??

also, i read something on this forum saying that biostatistics is only til' mid of the semester and then your done with the class..is this correct?
how about patient-doctorI? is this class til' mid semester??

what class would you say in 1st semester is the most challenging?
would you say its anatomy just because there's alot of material to learn? how about histology?

I never took histology as an undergrad, do you think i might have trouble in it just because i'm not quite familiar with the material. the only classes i took as undergrad were all my required premed classes and of course anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, microbiology, and genetics.

C-LAB
06-29-2007, 01:29 PM
hello!!!

was just wondering if we receive lockers at SMU in 1st semester? for instance, do we always have to bring our gloves for lab to campus everyday or do we get lockers to store things so that way we don't have to bring these types of things to campus every single day???
The lockers are available to all students, first come first serve (as in choice of which locker you want) but there are plenty of lockers, just bring a lock and you can store everything in it if you want

another question..how is your lab grade calculated into your class for instance, is anatomy lab a big chunk of your grade for the actual anatomy lecture class??
I think its 20-25% of your grade, im not sure. Its been a while since i took the class, I can't remember exactly how the grade was broken down.

also, i read something on this forum saying that biostatistics is only til' mid of the semester and then your done with the class..is this correct?
Biostats is only a few weeks long, and after biostats you will take epidimeology (sp?) and then be done w/ both classes b4 the semester is over
how about patient-doctorI? is this class til' mid semester??
pt doc is for the whole semester, you will take 4 semesters of it

what class would you say in 1st semester is the most challenging?
would you say its anatomy just because there's alot of material to learn? how about histology?
Anatomy and Histology are both tough subjects for a lot of students, come ready to study hard. Its not impossible to pass as long as you put the time into it. Good Luck!

I never took histology as an undergrad, do you think i might have trouble in it just because i'm not quite familiar with the material. the only classes i took as undergrad were all my required premed classes and of course anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, microbiology, and genetics.
In undergrad, I took everything but histo, and it all helped me to do well. You can pass it if you put the time into it, its not impossible material, it just takes work and you can do it! Just study hard, good luck

It just takes some hard work, but you can do it

drJane23
06-29-2007, 01:42 PM
It just takes some hard work, but you can do it

thanks C-LAB for all your help and input:pyeah I definitely know I can do it..thanks for the kind words;)
take care!

rao50md
07-06-2007, 08:30 PM
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

drJane23
07-06-2007, 08:50 PM
thanks for answering all my questions. truly appreciate it;)

drJane23
07-09-2007, 04:15 PM
let's say I want to send my family a card that live in the states, how much do we pay for stamps in grand cayman??
how long does it usually take to get to the states?

also, I was wondering if any students as of right now use the Logitech webcam through AIM? i recently bought one in bestbuy so i can take it to grand cayman so i can talk with family and friends. does it work pretty good over there?

last thing, during exam weeks...how are the exams broken up. do we take all exams in one day or do we take for example anatomy exam one day and then the lab exam another day??? how about for the other classes as well for 1st semester?

drjohnwebb
07-09-2007, 04:23 PM
let's say I want to send my family a card that live in the states, how much do we pay for stamps in grand cayman??
how long does it usually take to get to the states?

also, I was wondering if any students as of right now use the Logitech webcam through AIM? i recently bought one in bestbuy so i can take it to grand cayman so i can talk with family and friends. does it work pretty good over there?

last thing, during exam weeks...how are the exams broken up. do we take all exams in one day or do we take for example anatomy exam one day and then the lab exam another day??? how about for the other classes as well for 1st semester?

Stamps are 75 cents. Don't know about the time, I just sent my first item the other day.
Don't know about the webcam.
Exams are broken down by day, Anatomy is on Monday (w/lab) , Histo is Tues (w/lab) and Embryo is on Wed.
This is mainly b/c we have nothing but anatomy on Monday, and have embryo on wed.
Biostats and Pt-Dr, are usually given the week after, so you don't have too much on your plate.

By the way.. bring a calculator for biostats... the class is a little harder than you would think.

dr-2b
07-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Does anyone use skype at resident hall to talk back to the states? If so, how well does it work?

drjohnwebb
07-09-2007, 05:16 PM
I know a lot of people have Skype and they seem to like it. Plus I think you can use it to transfer files, which is helpful to some.

drJane23
07-09-2007, 05:52 PM
thanks for the help...

drjohnwebb
07-09-2007, 06:03 PM
No problem.. if you need anything, let me know. I will try to answer or get someone who can.

UFTim
07-09-2007, 07:03 PM
A lot of people use web cams and Skype. I used to send birthday cards, etc. to Florida when I lived there and it'd take only 3-4 days. Getting things sent to Cayman was another story. I got ALL my birthday cards around Thanksgiving and my birthday was the beginning of November. Niiiice...

dr-2b
07-09-2007, 09:48 PM
thanks for the info. I plan on getting the wifi phone for skype then.

whwsf
07-10-2007, 02:53 AM
dont forget to get a webcam with a "built in mic".... you can get ripped if you dont make sure.. also if you have vista, get a webcam that is compatible with it... you dont want to have to buy another webcam on the island, which is 3x the price than the states...
yea, skype is the best P2P program i use, i think its better than my vonage line, since internet speed down here is real slow and expensive, the vonage line usually gets a bit choppy. but you should def. get one regardless to keep in touch wiht your loved ones... i have a cell phone, vonage line and webcam skype and they're all useful for something..
cheers.

dr-2b
07-10-2007, 09:41 AM
I went to wal-mart and bought a webcam with a mic(2 sets in a box). Hooked it up on two computers and worked great using skype.

-2webcam and mic-- less than $29 for both
-skype year calling plan ---29.99
-talking and seeing love ones ---priceless

camryllionareMD
07-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the webcam tip! I'll add it to my shopping list.

drJane23
07-10-2007, 11:10 AM
awesome..yeah my webcam has a mic!

also, another question but mostly for the ladies at SMU.
is there any good places to do manicures/pedicures...and waxing..eyebrows?
and of course somewhere where it isn't too expensive. i checked the ritz carlton and that place was asking for an arm and a leg...too expensive.

if any SMU girls know of any place could you feel free to write back or pm me;)

thanks!!
see you all soon!!!!

drjohnwebb
07-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Nothing is cheap here.. better get a home manicure set..LOL

drJane23
07-11-2007, 11:10 AM
what do you recommend taking for school supplies. Like how many notebooks and binders should we take for 1st semester?? I have so many things to pack that I have no clue exactly on how many notebooks and paper we should take for classes. should we get take a notebook for each class to write in???

any suggestions and advice would be helpful;)thanks!!!

Pokerslut
07-11-2007, 11:22 AM
what do you recommend taking for school supplies. Like how many notebooks and binders should we take for 1st semester?? I have so many things to pack that I have no clue exactly on how many notebooks and paper we should take for classes. should we get take a notebook for each class to write in???

any suggestions and advice would be helpful;)thanks!!!

.. that you prefer to write with bring a lot of extras. I thought 2 packs of 2's were enough, they were not-- be prepared to be writing a lot if you are not a computer person. Some prefer to type notes in the powerpoints. It really is up to your preference and style.

I like to have one notebook dedicated for Anatomy and one for Histology. The other 3 less demanding classes you can fit into one. Good notebooks are difficult to find here. College rule paper and other things are available. Definetly go to Target and get notebooks. Everything else you can get here.

drjohnwebb
07-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Slut is right (lol),
I brought notebook paper, but I haven't used much. I also brought 4 thin 3 ring binders, don't use those either. I use my laptop for everything. IF you ARE a computer person, you can type any extras on the slides in class. Since I have a tablet, I write on the tablet. A lot of people print (usually from library) the slide on paper (4-6 per page) and take notes on that. I bought, by accident, copy paper that is already punched for a 3-ring. It ended being a blessing, I can copy slides and put them straight into the binder. Even though I don't do that much.

Honestly, I could do all of first semester paperless. Bring pencils, since test are on scantron.

drJane23
07-11-2007, 01:12 PM
okay awesome! yeah i'm not so much a computer person. i enjoy writing more...so i'm def going to bring extra notebooks and binders.

another question I wanted to ask was concerning customs. are they going to check all my bags. will they open up my bags and check everything i have? i have alot of things that are new and i'm taking them out of the bags that i bought them in but are they going to ask me is this new or old? i could simply lie and say nope everything is old! right?
do they really give you a hassle over there in the island in customs?
also, my laptop is about 2 years old already...will I be taxed over for that or no because its already 2 years old?

oh also, in the residence hall suites...do we get like a closet where we can hang our clothes in hangers? or is it simply a dresser??

:pthanks for taking your time everyone to answer all my questions. very kind of you all. hope you all are having a great semester;)

dr-2b
07-11-2007, 03:32 PM
From what I've found out they won't tax you for the laptop since it is being used for school purpose. I could be wrong.

drjohnwebb
07-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Be nice.. hopefully customs won't give you any crap.

I think they have chest of drawers.. I just asked.. and they have a chest closet type thing.. BUT YOU NEED TO BRING HANGERS.. you can get them from priced right, fairly cheap though.

drJane23
07-11-2007, 04:35 PM
thank you.

how far is hurley's supermarket and or other supermarkets from the residence hall suites???

and the gym..how far is the gym from the residence hall??

UFTim
07-11-2007, 05:28 PM
thank you.

how far is hurley's supermarket and or other supermarkets from the residence hall suites???

and the gym..how far is the gym from the residence hall??

You mentioned res hall and res suites. There's a big difference.

Hurley's is in south sound, which is far from the res hall and further from res suites. Kirk's supermarket is right there on Eastern Avenue (basically a block away from the res hall). Foster's is closest to res suites.

The gym is imbetween the school and res hall, and closer to the res hall. ~1/2 or 3/4 mile walk.

P.S. DrJane23, I wore my Gator tie yesterday at the hospital and got a nice response out of one of the new surgery interns from UGA. too funny.

Ruby_55
07-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Hey guys! Im in the process of struggling with line of credits to have some money to spend on food etc. I keep hearing that the island is expensive... but how much do you guys recommend that I MUST have with me to survive 1st semester on top of tuition/residence?

drJane23
07-11-2007, 07:53 PM

Hurley's is in south sound, which is far from the res hall and further from res suites. Kirk's supermarket is right there on Eastern Avenue (basically a block away from the res hall). Foster's is closest to res suites.

The gym is imbetween the school and res hall, and closer to the res hall. ~1/2 or 3/4 mile walk.

P.S. DrJane23, I wore my Gator tie yesterday at the hospital and got a nice response out of one of the new surgery interns from UGA. too funny.

oh man thats awesome! the GATOR nation is everywhere....gotta love it:p

Pokerslut
07-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Hey guys! Im in the process of struggling with line of credits to have some money to spend on food etc. I keep hearing that the island is expensive... but how much do you guys recommend that I MUST have with me to survive 1st semester on top of tuition/residence?

My advice would be to get a line of credit as much as possible and try to have the discipline not to use it unless necessary.

I would say that 50 dollars a week is good for groceries if you don't plan to eat out and eat moderately. What I do sometimes is spend 8 dollars at Captains for some really good goat curry or fried chicken. Save some of the rice and make fried rice with it the next day or so when I have time. My point is that your imagination has a lot to do with how much you spend.

Than you have the eating out factor. Not to mention the bar and socializing part of a budget. Prices for alcohol are similar to states.

Than you have bus fees at about 25 dollars a week.

A middle of the road ballpark I would say is about 750 a month which includes eating out on occasion.

Your question is really hard to answer but that is my stab at it.

drJane23
07-12-2007, 07:51 PM

i'm a bit confused...i was assigned to the Standard Single Suite on the 2nd floor. so since i'm staying in the suites, it'll be farther from the residence hall? i don't get it...i thought they were both the same just the size of the room being different. so the res hall and res suites are two diff facilities???

drjohnwebb
07-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Are you in the res suites... or a suite in the res hall? Two different things...

Diva
07-12-2007, 11:10 PM
i'm a bit confused...i was assigned to the Standard Single Suite on the 2nd floor. so since i'm staying in the suites, it'll be farther from the residence hall? i don't get it...i thought they were both the same just the size of the room being different. so the res hall and res suites are two diff facilities???

No you are staying in RH...stop confusing urself!!!! Think pink and purple thoughts.....
You have the same room as me...only you are above me. So you can throw stuff in my window...or we can talk through cup and string :)

look they are pink and purple...hehehe :catfight:

drjohnwebb
07-13-2007, 07:40 AM
You can have a Suite in the RH. Just a bigger room. They are all basic anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

drJane23
07-13-2007, 10:10 AM
No you are staying in RH...stop confusing urself!!!! Think pink and purple thoughts.....
You have the same room as me...only you are above me. So you can throw stuff in my window...or we can talk through cup and string :)

look they are pink and purple...hehehe :catfight:

haha okay i guess i am in the RH just in a bIGGER room. Diva you really are one mighty Diva! thanks for the update!!! :banana:
cant wait to communicate through our pink and purple strings.
see you soon girly!

Pokerslut
07-13-2007, 11:54 AM
haha okay i guess i am in the RH just in a bIGGER room. Diva you really are one mighty Diva! thanks for the update!!! :banana:
cant wait to communicate through our pink and purple strings.
see you soon girly!

FYI: Based on your posts I don't think you two are going to get along. Sorry.

drJane23
07-13-2007, 12:37 PM
haha lol.
don't be a HATER pokerslut.

the end.;)

drJane23
07-13-2007, 12:44 PM
random questions...here goes

does the res hall rooms have a safe box to store valuable things or anything you might want to keep safe and hidden??

also, have you ever heard from other students if the people that do maid service have stolen things from students rooms or does that not happen at all?

drjohnwebb
07-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Don't bring valuables...LOL

SLut may be right.. a lot of people who were friends on here, don't really hang out.

Most people have 2-4 people they really get along with.. and most other people you rarely talk to, hang out with, etc. Not that you don't like them.. life is busy here and you will meet a lot of people. Some are into drama, some are backstabbers, some are helpful and friendly.

It does get like a high school sometimes..

Good luck with the can phone..

drJane23
07-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Don't bring valuables...LOL

lol so no safe box huh...

SLut may be right.. a lot of people who were friends on here, don't really hang out.

i'm not trying to make friends when i go to med school. i'm sure there is major drama there...and alot of immature people.
but it doesnt hurt to have one or two friends on the island especially when you have the same interest and stuff like that. my goal is simply studying and finishing asap.

Most people have 2-4 people they really get along with.. and most other people you rarely talk to, hang out with, etc. Not that you don't like them.. life is busy here and you will meet a lot of people. Some are into drama, some are backstabbers, some are helpful and friendly.

I can imagine life is going to be hectic there but to tell you truth i sure don't want to become a hermit and become antisocial..thats not my personality. thats just not me!! c'mon now im from miami..we cuban girls love to talk so having a friend thats a girl would be nice since she can relate to me plus i'm going to the island all by myself..its not like college where i had all my buddies with me. plus i know me and diva are going to get along just great. so honestly i dont give a rat's *** what anyone thinks. i guess thanks for looking out but honestly i dont care, so dont bother on telling me who i am and i'm not going to be friends with.
thank you. the end;)

It does get like a high school sometimes..

yeah and that should change..people need to grow up!

Good luck with the can phone..

haha thanks...

ps. i'm not trying to sound harsh or rude but i just hate it when people on this forum assume always. no hard feelings anyone. just dont get in my business. ever.
byebye;)

dr-2b
07-13-2007, 03:35 PM
no valuables? I guess I better leave my calculator watch at home.

drjohnwebb
07-13-2007, 03:50 PM
ooo.. calculator watch.... leave it at home.. I might snatch that...LOL

dr-2b
07-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Question on lab....do they have real cadavers?

drjohnwebb
07-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Wow.. I can't believe no one else has asked this from your class.. yet..

OK.. well they are REAL cadavers.. however.. they are NOT fresh. We have professionally dissected, plasticized cadavers from the Univeristy of Michigan.

It is fine for first block, real cadavers would have been better for second block (abdomen/thorax), not too bad for last block (head and neck).

Ruby_55
07-13-2007, 04:23 PM
that sucks! so i shouldnt bother packing my lab coat or dissection kit? :(

drJane23
07-13-2007, 04:24 PM
i know it does suck!

yeah i hear gloves is all you need for labs.

UFTim
07-13-2007, 04:30 PM

LOL. you probably have a suite at the Res Hall.

drJane23
07-13-2007, 04:31 PM
thanks. yeah i was informed earlier today. was a bit confused. lol

drjohnwebb
07-13-2007, 05:06 PM
YEAP.. just bring gloves. No lab coats or dissecting kits, unless you hit a chicken..lol

dr-2b
07-13-2007, 06:06 PM
YEAP.. just bring gloves. No lab coats or dissecting kits, unless you hit a chicken..lol
man, i was looking foreward to disecting a cadaver.

chicken? Hey, that's dinner.

Diva
07-13-2007, 09:25 PM
FYI: Based on your posts I don't think you two are going to get along. Sorry.

Wow a real live psychic...How cool is that!!!!!!!!

Can you see what color shirt I am wearing based on my posts? What about what I am eating????

Pokerslut
07-13-2007, 09:41 PM
haha thanks...

ps. i'm not trying to sound like a lil but i just hate it when people on this forum assume always. no hard feelings anyone. just dont get in my business. ever.
byebye;)

It was just a follow-up joke to when I was able to read your personality/psychoanalyze. It was kinda an inside joke. How in the world would I be able to tell if you guys are going to get a long? Seriously just a joke. I don't drink G(hatorade). LOL. Isn't Florida where Gatorade was invented?

But since J brought it up, I did get "backstabbed" the other day. Straight up lied to me-- but I knew he was; a great skill I picked up from playing poker. BTW, if someone can't look you in the eye or rubs their nose it is a sign of deception--generally of course. And even the mannerisms. I confirmed the lie because I was able to see the date on the download and it did not add up to his story.

In the Army we had a name for people that skrew their friends over = Bravo Foxtrots. Anybody care to guess what B and F stand for?

On the other hand it is great making friends with that genuine person who you know has your back and best interest in mind.

drjohnwebb
07-14-2007, 09:28 AM
Slut is using his skills of perception.... which is good for examing and taking histories on patients.

I LOVE YOU MAN.. lol

ready for some more lobster yet?

Pokerslut
07-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Slut is using his skills of perception.... which is good for examing and taking histories on patients.

I LOVE YOU MAN.. lol

ready for some more lobster yet?

Another recent example of reading/perception:

A friend I noticed had a very tiny hicky on her neck. So I asked is that a hicky on your neck. If it truly wasn't the typical answer would of been "what, where, etc.".

The answer given was -- something along the lines of "who would I get one from", "I wish it was, lol". The point is that when someone tries to explain that something is not what it is, and makes a justification why it could not be the case -- it GENERALLY is deception. I've read this in several books, etc. So I assumed she was deceptive. Several days later I learned that she has recently found a boyfriend, etc. Plus, I know what a hicky looks like, no matter how small. Lol.

I didn't think the lobster was really that good. Plus the service was so so. Purposely taking forever so we would loose our appetite. Lets shoot for a different lobster place after block 3.

Sorry if this is of topic for the thread/question. Keep the questions coming my Cuban princess. Lol.

BTW, Bravo Foxtrot = Buddy
Just keep your judgment of character/reading skills sharp when forming your social network. And by no means lower your criteria for what you would call a friend just because the pickings are small or lacking.

Sorry to sound all serious but since the topic was brought up I thought I would share some thoughts.

drJane23
07-14-2007, 10:17 AM
Another recent example of reading/perception:

A friend I noticed had a very tiny hicky on her neck. So I asked is that a hicky on your neck. If it truly wasn't the typical answer would of been "what, where, etc.".

The answer given was -- something along the lines of "who would I get one from", "I wish it was, lol". The point is that when someone tries to explain that something is not what it is, and makes a justification why it could not be the case -- it GENERALLY is deception. I've read this in several books, etc. So I assumed she was deceptive. Several days later I learned that she has recently found a boyfriend, etc. Plus, I know what a hicky looks like, no matter how small. Lol.

I didn't think the lobster was really that good. Plus the service was so so. Purposely taking forever so we would loose our appetite. Lets shoot for a different lobster place after block 3.

Sorry if this is of topic for the thread/question. Keep the questions coming my Cuban princess. Lol.

haha i like that "cuban princess".... no i completely understand i guess i thought you meant it as being sarcastic and i must say i hate sarcasm at times lol but i know you didn't mean it in any bad way. i understand you were just being genuine and being a lil jokester;) no hard feelings pokerslut i promise..its all good! we lil cuban princess don't hold grudges for too long unless someone really pisses us off lol
have a great day!

drJane23
07-14-2007, 10:20 AM
by the way...for the res hall is it indoor like a college dorm..meaning when you open your front door are u inside the builiding or is it like outdoor hotel where you exit your room door and your outside already.

do the res hall rooms have a balcony or no??

drjohnwebb
07-14-2007, 11:42 AM
Like dorm.. and no balcony..

Ruby_55
07-15-2007, 06:41 PM
hey. k im coming there in sept and i keep reading that the RH is about 2 miles from campus. I have also read how its miserable to walk all that distance everyday.. which rules out the footpowder option. I also hear the bus service is unreliable. Everyone recommends getting a car, but I dont think i can afford to buy one right away. So if i bring my bike.. will that be do-able? and with do-able I mean i dont wanna end up dreading riding to school each morning. Also i see that scooters are cheaper than cars, that could be an option but I also hear how they are really unsafe :s
What would u guys recommend for someone with a tight budget?

drjohnwebb
07-15-2007, 07:26 PM
BUses will get you everyday.. you might just have to wait for 15-30 mins sometimes.. that sucks when it is raining..

I wouldn't ride a bike or walk, but some do.. they are sweaty and hot when they get there..

azulpanther
07-15-2007, 08:54 PM
buses are reliable during normal hours. they are reliable from 7 am - latest 7pm, there are hardly any buses during the night. The buses are good enough. A car will just give u that added convience. U dont have to get a car right away. You wait a lil to stop around. I used to walk home after school home. I really liked the walk. When i got home I showered then I did whatever i wanted to do. If you like riding ur bycycle then go ahead. Very few students kept on riding their bike as the semesters passed. But a few kept at it. I didnt get my car until a month after my 1st semester started.

MORM4LIFE
07-16-2007, 02:59 PM
BTW, Bravo Foxtrot = Buddy

I love how I get instantly banned by moderators on here at the first glimpse of an infraction, yet people that are less controversial people get away with it.... It just goes to show you how biased this website is..... lets all give a hand for the mighty moderators.

drjohnwebb
07-16-2007, 05:09 PM
I agree with you. I had written a word that is slang for feces, actually I only typed the first and last letter and used *'s for the middle two. I was banned for a week. However.. I have reported people who have continued to do similar things or use profanity.. post doesn't even get changed, nothing..

Oh well.. the world isn't always fair.

I guess you have to keep your own nose clean and not worry about the others..

neil
07-16-2007, 05:42 PM
I love how I get instantly banned by moderators on here at the first glimpse of an infraction, yet people that are less controversial people get away with it.... It just goes to show you how biased this website is..... lets all give a hand for the mighty moderators.

AGREED!!!!!!

drJane23
07-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Is SMU and the residence hall located in west bay?

drjohnwebb
07-19-2007, 03:16 PM
No... Seven mile beach

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.