PDA

View Full Version : New Psych Teacher Opinions???

MORM4LIFE
06-28-2007, 04:59 PM
It is my opinion that the new psych teacher is a major step down from Dr. H. While Dr. H was by no means great, the new teacher Dr. B appears to have no prior knowledge of anything she teaches. Dr. H actually appeared to have researched what we need to know as med students and actually cared about our performance on shelf and step. Dr. B's class consist of what appears to be her reading from the slides as if it was the first maybe second time shes ever seen the material (oh wait she just said in class they are not even her own slides). She is overly general on pretty much every topic (ie. Good Samaritan Law = there is one ). She tries to talk about relations to neuro, but she acts completely incompetent on what she is saying. And I have to mention her attitude. She seems sooo nice with that extremely annoying fake voice, but I can see the devil underneath :twisted:.

what do you all think?

ALB123
06-28-2007, 05:14 PM
Dr. H is a huge loss, I think everyone can see that clearly now. According to upper semesters that have taken the step, "he thoroughly prepares you for ethics and behavioral science questions."
My class's shelf avg was about 400. Which is terrific.

Dr. B, she's a nice lady.. At least exams might not be that hard.

Have fun at story telling time.

Sea Dog
06-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Students may tell how Dr H was but there is past precedent of good faculties being terminated.

For some strange reasons good teachers in the past in depts like path, ICM, anat were routinely hounded out from this school. A great IT man Mr. D also was there. It is not clear why these careers are jeoperdised.......

AmericanIMG
06-29-2007, 04:21 AM
he does NOT teach you ethics properly.

he just taught straight out of Fadem.

MORM4LIFE
06-29-2007, 02:18 PM
OK now, THIS THREAD is about people's opinion on the NEW psych teacher NOT the old one. I was curious if anybody actually thought she was a good teacher or if they agree with me. AND PLEASE no one say they wont be able to tell till after her first exam... just cause she might make an exam easy doesnt mean she is a good teacher.

C-LAB
06-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Or since she sent out an email to the entire 3rd semester class about bashing her, she could screw us and make the test extremely hard b/c people are bashing her.

Baditude
06-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Deciding how good a teacher is by the exam has nothing to do with if it is easy or not. The quality of the exam as far as if it follows the material taught and at an appropriate level for preparation for the USMLE plus if the language is clear and if there is truly one correct answer etc. (these are problems with the pharm teachers)

AmericanIMG
06-29-2007, 02:48 PM
you can't really make an honest assessment of the professor until you take a psych shelf or some sort of USMLE practice exam.

also, it would be hard to compare and contrast the two profs w/o having been in BOTH classes.

MORM4LIFE
06-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Ummm last time I checked you can tell how a teacher is doing without seing what kind of questions they ask on a test or how good you do on a shelf exam. If I got up and started teaching pharm 2 by just reading a slide that someone else prepared without knowing a single thing about what I am saying, then I am pretty sure people can tell I am a bad teacher. It amazes me that people are trying to analyze a simple question of how you think a new teacher is doing... I have nothing against Dr. B, I just think she might do a little better if she did some USMLE research and actually understood what was being taught. Having Dr. S (goooooooooood) come teach about sleep proved completely useless as he taught what he know (the neuro part of it) which Im pretty sure wont show up on our psych shelf. Im glad she admitted she didnt know anything about sleep so she wanted to get someone that did, but she could of just researched it herself and actually taught us what the USMLE wants us to know about sleep

Abel_A
06-29-2007, 04:27 PM
True, you can tell if a teacher is good by his/her lec. However, every student has a different taste in teachers. I for one think just is pretty good. She actually seems to know what she is talking about in most of the power points she went over. As for her classes, everyone student who asked a question got a soild answer, according to physc concern. and about the sleep lec., yes, Dr. S did come in, "hey at least she knows in what subject she is weak in" , And like you said, "most of it wont be on the shelf". I think that everyone has different views, but if you have a problem with her just go and talk to her, because I bet she is smarter than you think. And if she cant correct the problem that you think she has "whatever that it may be"????? her voice????:confused: then take it up with Dr. N.

MORM4LIFE
06-29-2007, 04:50 PM
I have no need to talk to Dr. N about it, I have come to the conclusion that you pretty much teach yourself in most classes. People can be smart that doesnt mean they have the ability to teach topics outside of their knowlege, if you cant tell what Im talking about than ......, whatever, I could careless if she corrects her problem, it really doesnt affect me too much. It will be over soon enough

neil
06-29-2007, 04:57 PM
i personally believe that there is no need to go to prof or DR.N because the school keeps an eye on this site, as it was evident, when DR.B had a meeting about it today because DR.N told here to address this issue.

MD777
06-29-2007, 04:59 PM
if we are not in today's 3rd semester students' shoes, our comments, opinions, and/or experience shall not be relevant. they have gone thru BOTH teachers w/ the same semester.

if we did not have both profs' teaching to compare, how could we make the SCALE BALANCE?

we shall just leave this to the currents students who are taking the class to resolve their own issues...why shall we all get wrapped up w/ their own "pain & suffering" process? it is NOT FAIR to oursleves and not fair to the current 3rd term students. at the end, we all seem to look foolish since we do not have both organges and apples at the same time to compare...

MD777
06-29-2007, 05:11 PM
having a superb knowledge is totally diff. from knowing how to teach...

when i was in the graduate school working on my MS in Comp Engr degree, i had to teach calculus to E.E students. some of them struggled and had to retake the class 2 times before i took on the trailing class.

however, i knew how to convey the lectures, as long as i know the materials. so, i managed this trailing class to make it thru...at the end, one wealthy parent threw a party for me during the thankgiving time to thank me for getting their son thru the calculus.

few days ago, i had to teach one med student who was about to give up genetics' math calculations. many tried to teach her, but this person just could not get thru; however, i showed her the PROCESS and then she got thru it w/o having to give it up!! after i came to the med school, i just realized that med students are so intimidated by MATH, which i have dealth w/ for all my life for 40 yrs from schooling and work.

again, having superb knowlege is diff. from "knowing and/or wanting" to TEACH (convey the thought process to ones that are learning).

i completely understand how your class are coming w/ all these posts.

I have no need to talk to Dr. N about it, I have come to the conclusion that you pretty much teach yourself in most classes. People can be smart that doesnt mean they have the ability to teach topics outside of their knowlege, if you cant tell what Im talking about than ......, whatever, I could careless if she corrects her problem, it really doesnt affect me too much. It will be over soon enough

AmericanIMG
06-29-2007, 05:22 PM
at the end, one wealthy parent threw a party for me during the thankgiving time to thank me for getting their son thru the calculus.

ummm i don't think thats ethical...

:confused:

Sea Dog
06-29-2007, 05:34 PM
i personally believe that there is no need to go to prof or DR.N because the school keeps an eye on this site, as it was evident, when DR.B had a meeting about it today because DR.N told here to address this issue.

Then how can you explain regular sacking of brilliant faculty and packing in of F1 generation leading to hypercaymaninemia?

MD777
06-29-2007, 05:39 PM
if it is NOT, it would not be smart to mention it here...i have treated each equally and honestly...that is something that you never have to worry about me. or, i cannot stay in "PEOPLE" business today in NYC. you cannot last well in NYC, where it is very hard to make a living...worry not!!

ummm i don't think thats ethical...

:confused:

Abel_A
06-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Well I do learn from other resources like the book, usually reading it before the classes. Trust me any prof. well seem to lec. Better. I did here complaints from other students. But what I am saying is if you cannot tell the prof. to help her correct herself then you are not doing anything to help. So in fact it is better for you to go and say something, if you wish not then…. However, I am just trying to solve your problem with her. As for the admin. Watching over the site….The does not matter because if I have a problem with you, it is more respectfully for me to talk to you not your parents or wife…whatever it may be….Guys and that end of this we are all going/ or trying to me doctors the most respected people all around the world we should be able to give that respect back. Even if you don’t understand now what I am saying as life goes on, you well understand.

Junito
06-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Then how can you explain regular sacking of brilliant faculty and packing in of F1 generation leading to hypercaymaninemia?

Which brilliant faculty are you talking about. All the individuals who were let go students had issues with.

drjohnwebb
06-29-2007, 07:49 PM
There are good and bad in EVERYTHING you do. There are some bad teachers here, but overall.. I think most are good.

The school hires teachers on their CVs, it is up to us to inform the admin of teachers abilities. Also, the shelf is evident of how the teacher was (to a point). The school hires and fires teachers (and staff) when they feel like it is helping the school. You will not have great teachers in ALL classes, no matter where you go to medical school.

I hate to tell you... you might have bad teachers in residency too. Are you going to blame the hospital or just buck it up, and learn the material yourself?

I don't like having bad teachers either. However, I know it will happen from time to time. So.. I have to hit the books harder in that class, so what.

As for Dr. H.. I only had him once.. I can't attest to his teaching of knowledge.
As for Dr. B.. I have only had her for a few classes. I know she has real world experience, which a lot of teachers don't. She is very nice, helpful and pro-student. I don't know how good she is at teaching psych or preparing us for the board, but I know she will do her best.

I am sure all teachers know that their heads are on the chopping block if they don't perform well. If you are a bad student.. you are out of here after a few failures... same with teachers.. they don't perform.. they will be gone too.

Trust in the school to do their thing. Trust that they have been doing this longer than us and they just might know what they are doing. There are some very bright people (admin, teachers, etc) here. I am sure they can handle it.. and just leave the learning up to us... that is what WE are here for.

Baditude
06-29-2007, 07:53 PM
I can't think of one "quality" professor who got fired!! Can you at least give the course these profs taught?

Junito
06-29-2007, 11:07 PM
I can't think of one "quality" professor who got fired!! Can you at least give the course these profs taught?

Neither can I...please give a listing of all the brilliant profs who were fired. :roll:

MedChe
06-30-2007, 08:53 AM
iam actually looking for a job:D

Drack_MD
06-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Psych is psych. Some study hard and have low scores, some don't study at all and have decent scores. Learn to think the crazy way, and you won't have problems with this class ;)

There is always Fadem book and BRS, both are pretty much the same (same author). My advice: sit back, relax and enjoy, you won't have this opportunity next semester....

Baditude
06-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Still waiting for you to name names of all the "quality" faculty that got fired SeaDog.

MD777
07-01-2007, 09:30 AM
but, i finally got it what that meant!

MD777
07-01-2007, 09:31 AM
then, i got it what is being said here...

Neither can I...please give a listing of all the brilliant profs who were fired. :roll:

tgra_as
07-01-2007, 01:27 PM
??????????????????????

AmericanIMG
07-01-2007, 01:44 PM
i really liked the old prof for histo and embryo, Dr. R. his personal lifestyle didn't warrant his being let go in my opinion...he was a good professor and cared for the students and his powerpoints and lectures were excellent and up to date. its not like he was hooking up w/ a student or anything...

Sea Dog
07-02-2007, 11:56 AM
The original poster who started the thread is banned.:-shut:-shut:-shut:-shut:-shut:-shut

joshalicious
07-02-2007, 12:05 PM
I guess we all learned that if you want to continue to use vmd and have any criticism of faculty you best keep it to yourself.

Sea Dog
07-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Soon this thread would be locked under a filmsy pretext. New tenuous and gibberish threads will inundate. The pattern is so predictable.

Junito
07-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Soon this thread would be locked under a filmsy pretext. New tenuous and gibberish threads will inundate. The pattern is so predictable.

Self fulfilled prophecy? People are free to post criticism of a professor as long as it remains with the Terms of Service. When users start to posts that violate the TOS and people can't remain cool or on topic threads are shut. Simple as that. There have been some who try to use this forum for character assassination, and that is not what this forum is for. There are other forums where anything basically goes, there are rules and we expect you to abide by them. Closing this thread.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.