PDA

View Full Version : latest news or no news at all ???

azulpanther
06-20-2007, 04:37 PM
Nasser just gave an announcment to the 3rd semester class.

pretty much everything will stay the same. Miami is a go, Maine will be open next semester. Cayman 5th semester will be opened for students with issues ( IE visa, financial, Etc)

Only thing thats up in the air is the delivery of the kaplan course in Maine. Whether to have live lectures or to link it up from Miami through TV. Pretty much a live link up. He said he would have word tomorrow about this.

Didnt say if next semester will be the last semester in Maine. But you could pretty much bet on it. Due to the long term contract with Miami

mo5225md
06-20-2007, 04:44 PM
haha that was a quick reply....yea im confirming it...that is what he said...i knew they wouldnt shut miami down...just too much money being poured in. plus accm accredited us for the next 6 yrs and ny with a reapproval for another 2....so we will be in business for a long while....

C-LAB
06-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Because of what Dr. N***** said in the 1st meeting....i hope everyone can speak spanish...

azulpanther
06-20-2007, 06:35 PM
instead of dwelling on the negative dwell on the positive. Yes for many there will be a language barrier but you will still be treating a human being. Medicine is more than just being able to speak the same language. Working with non english patients will allow you to improve on other areas that is needed for diagnosis. Such as body language and you will also learn that there are universal signals for certain ailments. It will also teach you patience and hopefully for the majority increase your compassion for other human beings.

For alot of students from less ethnic diverse areas this will be a culture shock. So this will be a good preview of what you would experience during your rotations in hospitals located in the lower socio economic areas of major cities. A huge majority of the student population will rotate in NYC and Chigago. I am from NY and I know these hospitals very well. Trust me most of the patients you are going to interact with will be immigrants and a good chunk of them will barely know any english or any english at all.

I am sure this language barrier issue is being over exagerated. I know this is a bummer for alot, but lets try to focus on the positive.

hxa
06-20-2007, 07:04 PM
I know some spanish, enough to get by! muhahaha

hxa
06-20-2007, 07:05 PM
and yes, thanks for the update. Good to know whats being announced or whats going on when you are not on the island.

Jebus
06-20-2007, 07:32 PM
thanks for the update, appreciate it

jebus

Cayman Little
06-20-2007, 08:24 PM
I completely agree with Azulpanther. I would see this as an opportunity to make yourself more competitive in the medical field, because knowing 2 languages will only benefit you in the long run.

patience030
06-20-2007, 08:28 PM
are u going to learn spanish in 4 months?

Future MD | DM erutuF
06-20-2007, 08:46 PM
are u going to learn spanish in 4 months?

I guess we'll all have to. Nut up.

C-LAB
06-20-2007, 08:56 PM
instead of dwelling on the negative dwell on the positive. Yes for many there will be a language barrier but you will still be treating a human being. Medicine is more than just being able to speak the same language. Working with non english patients will allow you to improve on other areas that is needed for diagnosis. Such as body language and you will also learn that there are universal signals for certain ailments. It will also teach you patience and hopefully for the majority increase your compassion for other human beings.

For alot of students from less ethnic diverse areas this will be a culture shock. So this will be a good preview of what you would experience during your rotations in hospitals located in the lower socio economic areas of major cities. A huge majority of the student population will rotate in NYC and Chigago. I am from NY and I know these hospitals very well. Trust me most of the patients you are going to interact with will be immigrants and a good chunk of them will barely know any english or any english at all.

I am sure this language barrier issue is being over exagerated. I know this is a bummer for alot, but lets try to focus on the positive.

Well, I still hope everyone can speak spanish, because our own dean of the school has admitted to this being a huge barrier. The point of that statement wasn't to judge other cultures or that i have no compassion for other human beings, I don't know any spanish at all. Regaurdless of where I end up for rotations, I don't like the idea of trying to start my clinicals in a hospital crowed w/ other medical school students from other carribean schools (aka ROSS) and all the students in my own class...the 140 some odd of them. SMU is growing, and is taking in more and more students. Its time for the school to get more options for preclinical training, ie, more locations (and not just staying in cayman), or expand to a hospital that is just for SMU. Thats just my opinion. (this could go on an on about more green clinical sites too...)

MORM4LIFE
06-20-2007, 10:33 PM
well number one, its not really something we really need to worry about till after step 1. As far as the pre clinical part in the hospital, you dont really do much anyway and it wouldnt hurt to take some time to keep u from being bored to study some medical spanish. With as small as a hospital and as many students there, it should just be a warm up till you get to your rotations. HOwever, I believe the school is still working on what to do with our class (3rd) when it comes our turn.

azulpanther
06-21-2007, 06:38 AM
I know that other schools rotate at Larkin but I was under the impression that we don't associate with them at all in a professional level. I guess maybe if we go see a patient we might see other medical school members but this isn't different from going with students from our own school.

Remember the Miami program is still very young. Hopefully for you 3rd semesters it would be very close to its best to benefit you guys the most.

mdhope
06-22-2007, 09:21 AM
why hasn't this news been announced to everyone?

Barney Rebel
06-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Well according to the 4th semester students that I have talked to, Maine is no longer an option for anyone. Apparently, Dr. N went into PD4 and anounced that Maine would not be open next semester. ???

neil
06-22-2007, 02:54 PM
i can second that, thats what the word is from fourth semester, and they are not happy at all!!!!!

JTP73
06-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Well according to the 4th semester students that I have talked to, Maine is no longer an option for anyone. Apparently, Dr. N went into PD4 and anounced that Maine would not be open next semester. ???If that is truth, then that is a big negative for SMU. There are approximately 23 faculty members and at least as many already-established preceptors in Maine. SMU has a total faculty list of around 58, and to close Maine means they lose half of their faculty--unless some would agree to go to Miami=doubtful. Wait til the wind blows again...

C-LAB
06-22-2007, 03:40 PM
It is true, Maine is now out the door, its dead. SMU executives changed there mind...too expensive for them to run 2 US programs maybe...better to dump everyone into 1 right??? at the sacrifice of just the students right?

Barney Rebel
06-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Hola! C-Lab, como esta? Dos cervezas por favor.

neil
06-22-2007, 03:55 PM
que? what?

C-LAB
06-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Hola! C-Lab, como esta? Dos cervezas por favor.

Ci Ci, nice job SMU!

drJane23
06-22-2007, 04:35 PM
the correct way to spell the word "yes" in spanish is.. Si ;) just wanted to correct you lol

:p:mrgreen::cool::wink::D

azulpanther
06-22-2007, 04:46 PM
yooo now since maine is closed now lets focus on why electives are so expensive. During our 4th year, we students have to pay a difference for electives. St matts will only pay the site where we are doing our electives 135 bucks a week. now most sites are 250 bucks a week. According to policy now we the students have to pay the difference. So on top of normal tuition we have to pay for our electives.

Now since the board of trustees has earn themselves more summer homes, i feel that we the students should not be responsible to pay for our electives.

neil
06-22-2007, 04:49 PM
agreed azulpanther, good luck getting them to change there minds.

Barney Rebel
06-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Good point. I mean, what does our tuition pay for in 4th year? I definitely agree that we shouldn't have to pay extra for electives.

azulpanther
06-22-2007, 05:09 PM
agreed azulpanther, good luck getting them to change there minds.

Me by myself wont do **** doodlely nuttin ( hahha i've always wanna say that) All of us have to complain. Are they any SGA reps up in here? Lets start a petition. I'll def sign it

Junito
06-22-2007, 05:13 PM
yooo now since maine is closed now lets focus on why electives are so expensive. During our 4th year, we students have to pay a difference for electives. St matts will only pay the site where we are doing our electives 135 bucks a week. now most sites are 250 bucks a week. According to policy now we the students have to pay the difference. So on top of normal tuition we have to pay for our electives.

Now since the board of trustees has earn themselves more summer homes, i feel that we the students should not be responsible to pay for our electives.

Good luck on that. Instead of trying to get them to lower the tuition, try to get them to improve the clinical experience. Getting better teaching hospitals such as Maimonides compared to the ones they have already here in NYC. I think the school should invest in purchasing a few Harvey simulators for both Cayman and where ever 5th semester will be held. Obtaining faculty that work with SMU students one on one (i.e. train students on how to perform certain exams, etc). Not just attendings who are too busy or residents who already are overworked. Maybe semi-retired attendings that love to teach? I have seen a few at Wyckoff that could have been recruited as individual faculty for SMU.

The school should focus on having clinicals in three locations and offer clinical students review lectures just like Down state does for their students. The current system at certain sites in respect to training is just a travesty. It really needs improvement. Prior to rotating at Maimonides and at Boston, I did not realize the difference between how US and foreign students are taught. I see the US schools being more involved in the education of their students.

neil
06-22-2007, 05:20 PM
i have to tell you junito, that most profs here can't teach physical examination at all, except dr. J. however, the current AMSA has a president and vp that know how to do most of this. actually, after todays meeting we learned how to a pulmonary exam, and a current 4th semester stated that they learned more in our meeting then in Pd.4.

MD777
06-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Hello,

if i may ask you a simple q, what is harvey simulator? what can it do for us?

besides the simulator, getting better/qualified training/teaching hospitals are very important...if the teaching is good, then we will not complain about spending the extra money such as the ones for the electives...

i personally do not agree about the extra fees for the electives.
1. it was never disclosed fully in the SMU main web.
2. it is not a fix price for various locations. NYC-$350 and rest-$250. that is more than 66% difference. $100/$150=66%
3. as you stated before, neuro is being mandated one. so, it should be part of the CORE. so, there we do not have to pay another few thounds for that!!!
4. if the school wants and/or have to share the cost, the split % should be less on the student. in current case, students are paying 57% of the portion. (for NYC case, ($350-$150)/$350).

juni, thanks in advance for the simulator question.

Good luck on that. Instead of trying to get them to lower the tuition, try to get them to improve the clinical experience. Getting better teaching hospitals such as Maimonides compared to the ones they have already here in NYC. I think the school should invest in purchasing a few Harvey simulators for both Cayman and where ever 5th semester will be held. Obtaining faculty that work with SMU students one on one (i.e. train students on how to perform certain exams, etc). The school should focus on having clinicals in three locations and offer clinical students review lectures just like Down state does for their students. The current system at certain sites in respect to training is just a travesty. It really needs improvement. Prior to rotating at Maimonides and at Boston, I did not realize the difference between how US and foreign students are taught. I see the US schools being more involved in the education of their students.

Junito
06-22-2007, 09:27 PM
Harvery:

Harvey @ the AISR Simulation Center (http://jeffline.jefferson.edu/LR/harvey.html)

I agree that the Neuro elective should be changed from a mandated selective to a core. Maybe someone can suggest that to the administration. But then again I did not want to do Neuro at Wyckoff. But maybe a compromise could be done...You set up your Neuro but the associated fee would be covered by your tuition.

Not all sites in NYC charge $350. Most charge $250, just Wyckoff and Atlanta charge $350 to my knowledge.

drjohnwebb
06-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Too bad a Harvey cost close to 100K...

hxa
06-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Does the school already have some? 100K doesn't seem bad at all for the school given what it actually is...anyone had any experience with it? Seems interesting, wonder how useful it actually is...

AUCMD2006
06-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Too bad a Harvey cost close to 100K...

we have one at auc but we were told it was more like 60k...anyway it is really cool to learn on because it can simulate any heart sound and when you do the cardiac exam you actually feel the heart beating

MD777
06-23-2007, 09:10 AM
the news is out from the top yesterday and today...it is a done deal...

we, the students, created the problem ourselves, as so many of us DROPPED the St. Joe's program when we returned to US.

when we speak about anything, we must know everything about it in the leagal boundary and its implications. we cannot just say anything for the sake of arguing and making not sensible statements!!!

it is also critical to have the ability of identifying the FACTS, rather than listening to any student's rumors and/or their own rationales or motives...if you cannot get the record straight, i wonder how you can become a physician. one of these days, you might get a law suit by anyone. but w/o the FACT, how are you going to WIN the battle? you all going soon to step into the real BUSINESS world and face others who are in this business SCALE, which has to BALANCE based on the TRUTH & FACTS...

LAW IS LAW...this is even more important if you are going to become a physician or in any MONEY PRODUCING BUSINESS!!! we cannot continue to BLAME OUR SCHOOL for not doing anything for us. if students "HONESTLY" kept the St. Joe's program running as it should have been, we would not have to create any miami program, which might have cost the school more money to rectify the maine's program.

in my almost 50's years of my life in the business world, if you want to last in any business, you have no choice but follow the regulations set by the government and contracts. otherewise, you will end up spending more TIME fixing problems than making any progress. it takes 10 lies to fix 1 lie...and, it will be an endless battle at the end!!!

now, we could put all the energy and resources to making Miami the best program ever. having so many campuses can only DILUTE the energy. this new plan implemented is a great move in my personal opinion!

neil
06-23-2007, 11:07 AM

we, the students, created the problem ourselves, as so many of us DROPPED the St. Joe's program when we returned to US.

MD777, your very much entitled to your opinion, however the statement about is incorrect. st. joe's program was closed because ACCM/Cali board said that all basic science courses have to be complete at one place(for 4th semester). if you were refering to fifth semester, than smu closed the program down because of pure financial reason, lets remember this is a business. its more cost effective to have one center with fewer staff than have two centers with multiple staff members.

MD777
06-23-2007, 04:18 PM
it was mentioned in the one of the recent dean's meeting regarding that fact that many students used the St. Joe's program for the FEDERAL loans and got back to US quicker...so, they had to cancel the program to avoid any trouble about the FEDERAL loans...

however, what you write is also very valid and factual as well...

w/ these 2 minimum reasons given by the different parties, it is enough for the school to move the operation to miami...

i am a student that i can understand your point of view; however, i also wear another hat as a business person, so i can also see the school's decision making process!!

it is a tug of war...at the end, we all need to make our best for the given condition!

MD777, your very much entitled to your opinion, however the statement about is incorrect. st. joe's program was closed because ACCM/Cali board said that all basic science courses have to be complete at one place(for 4th semester). if you were refering to fifth semester, than smu closed the program down because of pure financial reason, lets remember this is a business. its more cost effective to have one center with fewer staff than have two centers with multiple staff members.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.