PDA

View Full Version : Clinical Rotations....

MD777
06-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Hello Juni,

is this possible that once a month you get a consecutively 4-5 days off from any of your rotations either core or electives?

or, you are alway ON 7 days a wk?

thanks in advance.

Neuro in Maimonides is a 9-5 rotation. Tons of work to do, with some teaching thrown in. So far it has been good. It is a consult service (so we mostly do consults) and am rotating with 2 SUNY Downstate students. Sometimes you can be let out late. This past Wednesday we were let out at 8pm. Stroke rounds are decent.

MD777
06-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Hello Everyone,

pls do not laugh at me for asking this question, as we all have diff. life and various responsibilities?

is this possible that once a month you get a consecutively 4-5 days off from any of your rotations either core or electives?

can you work out some schedules w/ your boss and/or co-worker to change hours, so you can take time off to care for you family? for example, you work 1 wk longer wknds by swapping some wkday hrs w/ your co-worker students?

or, you are alway ON/working 7 days a wk?

thanks in advance.

drjohnwebb
06-18-2007, 08:49 PM
I have to ask you a serious question. Are you planning on taking a week off every month from classes? I doubt it. I hate to say this, but this is medical school, it is not for the weak.

So many people here think they should get special treatment for one reason or another. You come to class when told, you take test when told and you show up for rotations when they tell you. You have to work your life around school/education.. they aren't there to work around you.

If you think you are going to have problems like that, you might want to look into another career.

By the way, I have a family too.. you have to make sacrifices.. Like everyone else.

nevisbutterfly
06-18-2007, 09:28 PM
The last two years of medical school is only an introduction to residency. When you get to residency you are lucky you get to take all or any of the vacation days they promise you.

You had better be dyeing if you call in sick on a major rotation. You have to find your own coverage for call if you go on vacation and on some rotations you cannot take vacation at all. Period.

The last couple of years of medical school might let you get away with this but it be reflected in your LOR's... not good when applying to residency. The programs are looking for dependability and committment. I hear peds and psych can be more accomodating, but that is up to the individual program.

This is not a part-time job. It is a 150% committment with an 80 hour work week. The only time a residency will try to accomodate people is when both the husband and wife are in a residency program at the same time and they will try to put one on an easier rotation while the other is working their buns off. You might go in at 5:30 in the morning and not get off until 1:00 p.m. the next day.... this is a fact.

rynobuddy
06-18-2007, 11:24 PM
Man nothing like pounding the guy, he asked a simple question!!! A polite no would have been sufficient, not question his intentions on becoming a doctor.

But since you asked, the school has scheduled (not by my choice) a two week gap between my first four core rotations. Peds Rotation was by far the lightest schedule only worked about 3.5 days a week. OB.GYNE most demanding with 15 hour days plus call.

Junito
06-18-2007, 11:29 PM
You are allowed I believe one day off per 4 weeks. I don't think the 80% attendance policy applies for clinicals (meaning they require that you attend more than 80% of the rotation). You can take personal days off, but don't count on taking a week off. Your best bet would be to schedule two weeks then take a week off and then schedule another two weeks. Good luck.

Junito
06-18-2007, 11:40 PM
Hello Juni,

or, you are alway ON 7 days a wk?

thanks in advance.

Depending on the rotation, 90% of them do not require you to come in on weekends (there are exceptions of course). You will have Sat & Sun off except if you have call (Surg or OB/GYN).

drjohnwebb
06-19-2007, 06:39 AM
Junito.. I just want to say I alway apprecitate your posts. You always have positive, well informed and insightful things to say.
Keep up the good work and I hope everything is going well in your rotations.

AmericanIMG
06-19-2007, 09:12 AM
you can schedule weeks off IN BETWEEN rotations. you only need 10 weeks a term for full financial aid, and you can schedule your rotations as you see fit.

as far as during a rotation, it all really depends on the rotation itself. a poster above stated that they had an easy time during peds rotation...mine was 5-6 days a week, roughly 10-12 hrs a day.

in the end, it will be up to the preceptor and the staff regarding your schedule. just don't be a flake and miss days or come in late. always communicate w/ your preceptor!!!

UFTim
06-19-2007, 12:34 PM
They told us here at my rotation that we needed to be admitted in the hospital to be excused from working the floors. We also work 16hrs either saturday or sunday.

911Med
06-19-2007, 12:55 PM
A few buddies are local surgeons and surgical residents...the resounding excuse for a day off can ONLY be "I have diarrhea." That is seriously the only excuse/malady that they will approve. Period. Take note.

They are also up at Harbor UCLA for different surgical residencies- they had a "Holiday Break" as they are pretty far up the totem pole. All of the guys stayed near the hospital because they needed the free food in the cafeteria.

Ah!!
Can't wait to start!

Diva
06-20-2007, 12:39 PM
A few buddies are local surgeons and surgical residents...the resounding excuse for a day off can ONLY be "I have diarrhea." That is seriously the only excuse/malady that they will approve. Period. Take note.

They are also up at Harbor UCLA for different surgical residencies- they had a "Holiday Break" as they are pretty far up the totem pole. All of the guys stayed near the hospital because they needed the free food in the cafeteria.

Ah!!
Can't wait to start!

You can have a day off for diarrhea, sure, but what about afterwards, when you have to come to work with a stool sample?
My pharmaco prof always said " If you need to take a day off, do not use diarrhea as an excuse, bc you have to be cleared to come back to work"

got milk?
06-21-2007, 04:21 AM
how many internal medicine rotations require weekend work days? which places? I hope not Wackoff heights, right?

AmericanIMG
06-21-2007, 10:03 AM
depends on teh preceptor.

azulpanther
06-21-2007, 11:08 AM
how many internal medicine rotations require weekend work days? which places? I hope not Wackoff heights, right?

some advice to all, when you are in ur rotations and residencies expect to be worked like dogs, horses, mules (or just fill in anything to your tasting).

expect to work 7 days a week. When you finally get there cherish your time off because it will be few and far in between

got milk?
06-21-2007, 03:14 PM
some advice to all, when you are in ur rotations and residencies expect to be worked like dogs, horses, mules (or just fill in anything to your tasting).

expect to work 7 days a week. When you finally get there cherish your time off because it will be few and far in between

less repetitive busywork, and more prep for boards. that's what we should be doing. I hope the boss won't be showing us case after case of diabetes.
"ok. i get it. can we go home now?"

Junito
06-21-2007, 03:21 PM

Had my weekends off most of the time during clinicals (except for surgery). I actually do more work in Neuro than I did in Surgery but I actually learn more material. I don't have a resident with some inferiority complex trying to intimidate the medical students. I am able to present cases and suggest what type of treatments should be given. Ah, I love my 4th year...

AmericanIMG
06-21-2007, 04:30 PM
I am able to present cases and suggest what type of treatments should be given.

thats been all of my rotations so far!

;)

Junito
06-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Maybe I should have been more specific, during rounds the students present patients, while the residents sit back and provide assistance when the attending smells blood. During my rotations at Wyckoff we were never really allowed to present except for in Peds and OB/GYN. I just noticed more responsibilities...I write the consults, suggest treatment to the attendings who ask for the consult, and basically am shown more respect than what I experienced during my third year.

AmericanIMG
06-21-2007, 06:55 PM
yeah see i have had to present in all my rotations...i guess its just the attending's decision

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.