PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone or vonage or ???

hxa
06-16-2007, 01:15 AM
What is the best option in the Cayman Islands?

1). Get a cell phone, use phone cards to make calls to the US? or do the cell phone companies have a plan to call US? or are there any other methods of cheap calls to the US?

2). Get vonage and do without a cell phone?

I like having a cell phone...

drjohnwebb
06-16-2007, 06:20 AM
Get both. Skype is popular as well. I have Vonage and it is OK. Sometime at night when a lot of people are on the internet, I get bad service (not Vonage's fault). Other than that, it is great. Cell phone will be sold the first day for like $30 and minutes are mostly prepaid. ***Advice***...Buy a lot of the cards they sale the first day. They are $5 card, but give you $8 on your phone. You will not be able to get them like that again, so go ahead and buy as many as your heart desires. After that, you can "top up" your phone just about anywhere. Calls to the US take 37 cent a minute off your phone. So... a little of an hour of call time to the US, would cost the same as a month of Vonage. You need the cell to call local and keep in touch with friends here. Vonage to call home.

AmericanIMG
06-16-2007, 06:43 AM
You need the cell to call local and keep in touch with friends here. Vonage to call home.

perfect answer.

911MD
06-16-2007, 09:04 AM
.....if You Dont Wana Pay The 30 Bux For Their Phone, And Want To Use Your Own Phone, Make Sure Its Tri/quad Band, And That Its "unlocked" .

AmericanIMG
06-16-2007, 11:34 AM
even w. tri bands some won't work on the island.

hxa
06-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Instead of getting vonage, can I just get phone cards to call US from the cell phone? I am not a big phone person, don't spend much timme on the phone. Plus aren't calls from the US to your cell phone included in the plan?

What network does the island have? GSM or CDMA or...?? Most likely its GSM, if anyone knows if its 900/1800/1900...it will be a great help! :)

drjohnwebb
06-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Well... if you call from your cell.. it will still cost you. Cell phone are free incoming, but charge outgoing.. no matter who you call, 800 number or not.

Get vonage...Don't wait to get here and then decide to get it..

hxa
06-16-2007, 02:31 PM
I will go ahead and buy a vonage phone set...how much does it run per month for vonage? Hate the thought of having 2 phones...

drjohnwebb
06-16-2007, 08:43 PM
It is less than $30, look on the net and stores (best buy, circuit city, etc), they sometimes have specials for around $20 a month, if you prepay for a year.

A cell phone here isn't a "needed" thing. However, if you call a local place from vonage.. it will cost you. Also, it is nice to call friends, text, etc. Plus.. if there is ever an emergency with school, the school will text you and let you know immediately.

And... I used my US cell phone here for the first week.. BAD MOVE.. the bill was $300 higher.. My finace.. called me on my cell phone, since it was free incoming.. BAD MOVE... her phone bill was $600. One call..121 minutes... $332!

I spent $100 a week calling home on my cell. I don't do it anymore... they can wait until I am home and call on Vonage..

hxa
06-16-2007, 09:09 PM
So I can signup for vonage here in the US? or should I just buy a vonage phone set and get it hooked up on the island? Sorry for too many questions, but i am a little confused to how and when to get it.

I will probably get a cell phone and vonage on top, i think over the long run it will end up saving me money...

medjen
06-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Just an additional option here. I had Vonage for over a year and had very irregular reception. I hated calling professional places that didn't know I had Vonage and then they couldn't hear me - very frustrating!!!!

However, on my last break, I found another company that was ranked higher than Vonage but comparable in price....SunRocket.

It is $24.95 per month (which I think is same as Vonage), with the Call waiting, Caller ID, etc - but an additional feature of $3.00 per month in free "long distance" calls - meaning any place that is not a U.S. number, so Caymanian numbers are included in that. I believe the rate for Cayman is around $.15/minute landlines, and $.25/min cell phones.

Plus, the reception has been MUCH better than I ever had with Vonage. I think I was on the phone with Vonage customer service at least once a week sometimes for hours at a time and I have yet to call SunRocket customer service in the past month and a half.

hxa
06-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. Appreciate it!

Khushboo
06-19-2007, 12:26 PM
I believe you get it in the US

Khushboo

dr-2b
06-19-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm thinking about getting the skype SMC WiFi Phone & FON Routerwifi or the Vonage WiFi UTStarcom F1000 can anyone tell me if I got a US phone number with SKYPE with the skype unlimited and called the US while in GC, will it be free? Or using the Vonage phone while at GC and call the US be free using their services?

medjen
06-19-2007, 03:46 PM
I know with both Vonage and the service I use, SunRocket, it is just the base price $24.95 and you have a U.S. number from whatever area code you want so that people who call you don't have to pay long distance and there is no additional charge to call from GC to the U.S. However, if you are going to call a GC number, with the Vonage (or whatever type) phone, there is a charge and those rates are posted on the websites for that particular service. Like in a previous post of mine, I like SunRocket because you get $3.00 in "long distance" per month so if I want to call a GC number, it isn't an extra charge until I use up that money.

dr-2b
06-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the info.

AmericanIMG
06-19-2007, 06:24 PM
i personally don't like sunrocket...vonage is a little more trusted, and the bandwidth decreasing option REALLY helps when on the rock.

medjen
06-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Maybe it depends where you live.

All I know is I had Vonage for over a year and half the time I was using my cell phone at $.20 per minute because no one could hear me.

With SunRocket I have found no problems ever hearing anyone, but if I am on the internet when they are on the phone, they can occasionally have problems hearing me, but even that is rare.

whwsf
06-20-2007, 12:02 AM
get a cell phone for when you are not home/in dorms.... all incoming calls/texts are free so even if you use it for receiving it wont cost you much...
get a vonage or voiceeclipse phone router for calling the states
and definitely get skype with a webcam, whether you are getting vonage or not, b/c its free and i get better quality calls on SKYPE than i get with my vonage line...

WanderLustMD
07-19-2007, 10:35 PM
I'm trying to figure out if I should purchase a unlocked cell phone as my contract is running out with my current provider. Can you use the prepaid cards with an unlocked GSM phone?

camryllionareMD
07-20-2007, 08:25 AM
You can. I'm bringing my GSM. I don't know why they lock phones in the US. The rest of the world is unlocked.

goldenyen
07-25-2007, 06:13 PM
when i came here i had vonage and got a cell phone. but on my cell phone i got a prepaid plan where i pay $40 CI a month with cable & wireless...for a set amount of minutes. i never used all of my minutes on the cell phone and i can call the US without paying extra. i never have to worry about topping up my minutes on my cell phone. i've been having so much trouble with vonage, sometimes the line isn't clear or it hasn't been working. i don't know if you plan on making a lot of calls but it's something to look into.

pgunz21
07-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Can anyone else give there opinions about vonage? Should we set it up before we come? Has it not been working? Is it worth it? Should I look into skype instead? I don't really care about a webcam because I don't I have one and probably wouldnt use it. Thanks

UFTim
07-25-2007, 06:51 PM
I used vonage and liked it. It didn't work that great in the res hall though.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.