PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between Facilitated Transport And Osmosis

drdeb
06-14-2007, 02:16 AM
What Is The Difference Between Facilitated Transport And Osmosis When Both Are Concerned With Movement Down The Concentration Gradient?
pls clear the confusion:confused:

rose.82
06-14-2007, 09:26 AM
Hi,

In Facilitated Transport there is carrier but in osmosis like simple transport or passive diffusion there isn't any carrier but both of them don't need energy.Also Facilitated transport is saturable but osmosis or simple transport or passive diffusion isn't saturable.

Dr. X
06-14-2007, 09:52 AM
since its gradient differences (upward or downward) you are concerned about, try to get an understanding between "diffusion and osmosis".

Diffusion is when you (spontaneously) go from high concentration to low concentration. (downwards)

Osmosis is actually the movement of fluid towards solutes. Water would (spontaenously) go from the low concentration of solutes towards the high concentration of solutes.

The gradient difference is seen from the perspective of the solutes. So when ppl abruptly say diffusion goes from high to low, osmosis goes from low to high, but both passively, its easy to get confused without reading into the explanation.

side note: difference btw diffusion and facilitated diffusion is simply the use of a carrier in the latter, but both go downward spontaneously.

yes i noticed the caps in front of each word and it did make it tad harder to read.

Dr. X
06-14-2007, 10:01 AM
when you say facillitated transport, it can go downward (as in facillitated diffusion) or upward (as in active transport). See "cell physio" from brs phys to read into the whole thing.

drdeb
06-15-2007, 12:01 AM
hello Dr.X
thanks for the explanation

sorry to make it hard for you to read but i did not write the msg with caps in the first letter of each word....i dont know how it came like this
thanks

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.