PDA

View Full Version : What do the following things mean regarding clinicals?

SMUstudent4ever
06-12-2007, 11:19 PM
I was looking the the clinical sites that SMU offers for 3rd year (http://www.stmatthews.edu/download/rotation-sites.pdf)

ACGME, I am assuming means "Green book"
Does "Meets ACGME" mean the same thing? I thought they did, but its wierd how some say "meets" and some don't

What are AOA/DO? Are they "green"?
Same with "SMU Approved"

Can someone please expalin those to me?

Jeep23Guy
06-13-2007, 12:08 AM
I was looking the the clinical sites that SMU offers for 3rd year (http://www.stmatthews.edu/download/rotation-sites.pdf)

ACGME, I am assuming means "Green book"
Does "Meets ACGME" mean the same thing? I thought they did, but its wierd how some say "meets" and some don't

What are AOA/DO? Are they "green"?
Same with "SMU Approved"

Can someone please expalin those to me?

Because it is residencies and not clinical rotations that are accredited by the ACGME, a rotation that is "ACGME" is at a site that has the same residency accredited by the ACGME. The green book is actually a book that the ACGME uses to list all of the residencies...so "ACGME" = green book. If you look at the rotations that say "meets ACGME," they are all in the UK. Since the UK is NOT the US, they don't have to be accredited by the ACGME, but their accreditation is looked upon as equivalent to ACGME, which means that all the UK rotations offered would be considered green book.

SMU approved rotations are definitely not green for the most part. I say this because some states have the "family practice umbrella" where you can do any clinical rotation at a site that has a green family practice rotation and it will be considered green book. I wouldn't count on your state following that...

AOA/DO are obviously DO rotations. Some states consider these green, but I would not consider these green, either. I heard of a few students from another school that had to repeat a rotation or 2 because they thought the DO rotations would be considered green.

Check your state's medical board to see if DO rotations are green or if the FP umbrella applies. If you can't find anything on it, consider them blue.

Good luck.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.