PDA

View Full Version : Transportation at SMU

raesong
06-06-2007, 11:02 PM
I was reading the info on transportation from the residence halls to SMU main campus. The SMU website states that for the first 3 weeks shuttle buses will be provided. What is most of the student's mode of transportation after those 3 weeks? Is it feasable to ride a bike or is it a necessity to buy a car? I'm just really worried about the expense of living there if i'm gonna have to take out a loan by myself.

SMUstudent4ever
06-07-2007, 12:11 AM
When I was there, they kept the Bus/Taxi thing running the whole semester. I think they keep that going if there is enough demand.

Lots of peopel also buy bikes and ride to school. I borrowed my friends bike to go to the library one day, but I didn't like it...I just got too sweaty, and I hate that.

Buying a car is a solid option. If you are going to be there all 4 semester, its worth the price. Don't get one right away though, wait a couple of weeks and develop some potential roommates/people to split the car with, and you will be all set.

raesong
06-07-2007, 12:26 AM
thanks. Splitting the cost is a good idea. Btw, is the cost of living on the island really that expensive compared to the states? I'm financing my medical education on my own -- w/ help of loans -- so i'm wondering if it's possible to live off my loans.

spyyder
06-07-2007, 02:18 AM
forget a car, just mooch off of a friend, most people do. I have been riding a bike the entire time. If that isn't enough the buses run regularly enough that you can catch one (during normal hours).

drjohnwebb
06-07-2007, 10:35 AM
People catch rides from me EVERYDAY.. never offer any gas money.. they may mention it from time to time.. but never give it.. It doesn't matter.. I have to go that way everyday anyway.. so no sweat off my back.

It is HOT and riding a bike is doable.. but sucks big time. The bus is $2 each way.. So figure $20CI a week for the bus.. However.. it sucks waiting in the rain for a bus. My class got a bus driver to be there at the same time everyday, RH and school. I think he also gave them the ride for $1.50 each way. The only problem is.. not everyone will want to go to school at the same time.
There a few people that are sharing a car, one bought the car, the other pays for insurance and gas, etc. However.. that gets tricky too.

A "decent" car will cost you around $4000 CI, insurance will be around 600-750CI (has to paid all upfront for the year). SO, 5-7 Grand US to get something that will last you 16 months. I think it is worth it. Then you can at least get back 70-80% of your money when you leave. Nice chunk of change back in your pocket to hit 5th semester with.

Sebastien Guilbard
06-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Hello,

the bus to and from campus will last as long as students will use it.
The September semester being large, it is most likely that it will carry on for the entire semester.
If you have a special shedule with a group of students, then you can ask a local taxi driver and split the cost. Keep in mind that you will be arriving at the slowest time of the year, and everyone is keen on getting business.

See you in September,

russut
06-07-2007, 12:14 PM
Actually you can get a "descent" car for under $3000 CI. I did. No major problems. Just a few tire changes here and there. Ill be selling it at the end of this semester. PM me if you're interested.

azulpanther
06-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Actually you can get a "descent" car for under $3000 CI. I did. No major problems. Just a few tire changes here and there. Ill be selling it at the end of this semester. PM me if you're interested.

I'm sure by what he meant by decent is that the car would have no need for any mechanical or functional repairs. All of my friends that brought cheap cars were at the mechanic at least once a month. In the long run its all the same price. IF you buy a car now for 2000 CI, you could prolly sell it back for 1500 CI but the same time you have prolly spend an addition 700 CI in repairs (battery, tires, exhaust, ac etc etc).

if you buy a car lets for around 4000 CI. Keep it in great shape. The least should sell it for would be around 3800. Now with no car repairs needed who spent the most money in the long run?

Moral of the story. Any economic professor would say. Invest now and receive the greater dividends later.

911Med
06-07-2007, 02:06 PM
I am planning on bringing a couple pair of running shoes, building a rickshaw, and starting my own business...

drjohnwebb
06-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Until they boot you off the island for working without a work permit..LOL...Might want to bring a boat too..jk

911Med
06-07-2007, 03:51 PM
I think I might also offer raft rides to Cuba - you know, I hear sushi on the island is expensive, and a fella has to eat.

I should be able to pay off that work visa by third semester...

raesong
06-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Hello,

the bus to and from campus will last as long as students will use it.
The September semester being large, it is most likely that it will carry on for the entire semester.
If you have a special shedule with a group of students, then you can ask a local taxi driver and split the cost. Keep in mind that you will be arriving at the slowest time of the year, and everyone is keen on getting business.

See you in September,

Hi, Just wondering if you know the bus schedule (from what time to what time it will be running) just in case I have to stay in school a little later. Thanks.

jdolorfino
06-12-2007, 03:08 PM
buses run from early in the morning (prob around 7 am) to about 9 pm. after that you have to get a taxi

Hi, Just wondering if you know the bus schedule (from what time to what time it will be running) just in case I have to stay in school a little later. Thanks.

Sebastien Guilbard
06-13-2007, 10:40 AM
The bus schedule is pretty much tagged on the first semester schedule.
If you are staying late behind, you might have to catch a regular bus or a cab, unless you are with a group, then the bus will come back and get you.

raesong
06-20-2007, 12:33 PM
I was wondering..i don't really know how it will work out when i get to the island, but it sounds like a lot of people actually come back to the states during breaks. So does the school provide some kind of storage to leave your stuff in if you are coming back to dorm the next semester? Or some safe place to leave your car if you buy one?

azulpanther
06-20-2007, 01:11 PM
Be warned now. if you leave ur car park at the RH over any breaks, it could be booted. As for storage of ur belongings. gotta find someone with a place to leave ur stuff. School lacks in this department

spyyder
06-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Usually people just put their belongings in the place they plan on living at the following semester. You can also leave it at a friends place, or worst case their are a number of self storage places on the island. I guess its the same deal with cars, unless the airport has some long term parking.

azulpanther
06-20-2007, 04:08 PM
unless u wanna pay 7 bucks a day to leave ur car at the long term parking i wouldnt reccomend it

raesong
06-20-2007, 05:15 PM
unless u wanna pay 7 bucks a day to leave ur car at the long term parking i wouldnt reccomend it

Ok, this doesn't sound so great. Maybe i'll just sacrifice riding the bus the first semester.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.