PDA

View Full Version : gdansk 2007

chasse
05-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Some one going to study med. at gdansk this year?

DeepRoller
05-25-2007, 05:23 PM
I'm not going to study in Gdansk this year, but I would like to mention (as I have before), that upon my visit to Poland in March, Gdansk was hands down my favourite city of them; and I visited Gdansk, Lodz, Warsaw, Cracow, and Poznan.

Cheers!

Michael

chasse
05-25-2007, 05:49 PM
So what? Sorry but is it that important for you how the city looks like. Do you think that you will have the time to go out and discover the surroundings so much. You should try to take a look at the university instead.

With all my respects Kaya;)

LesniowskiCrohn
05-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Yes, the city is important. And yes, if you don't find time to explore the city you're in, and all sorts of surrounding cities, and countries, you are missing out... and you're working way too hard. Chill. Enjoy. Life is short.

Nic85260
05-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Honestly though, if you are going to enjoy life (and med school) you should be able to do that no matter where you are. I spent one academic year in one of the most miserable places on the planet-- and I still found things to do that were fun or interesting. So I don't think you really need to be in some sort of cultural hotspot or anything (what about US med students going to Creighton).

Yes, the city is important. And yes, if you don't find time to explore the city you're in, and all sorts of surrounding cities, and countries, you are missing out... and you're working way too hard. Chill. Enjoy. Life is short.

chasse
05-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Nic I agree with you.

LesniowskiCrohn
05-29-2007, 12:07 AM
I'm just trying to make the point that you should have plenty of time to do lots if you end up attending med school in europe. So, if you're stuck in Creighton and all you do is go to class and study then you probably don't care what's around you. But if, on the other hand, you're off at 1:30 pm every day, you may like some place that has a bit of culture, whatever that is to you.

danmage1
06-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Hey,

I'm a student in Akademia Medyczna w Gdansk currently, and yes I can tell you that the city and all in the surrounding area (trojmiasto) is a great summer funspot, looks nice, etc. But not to rock your boat or anything, the school itself is a joke, I have had nothing but trouble so far, and of course you will find the same problems as every other foreign school: inconsistent English from the teaching staff, more thought into the variety of ways you can pay the school than in education, and anything associated with culture shock of Eastern Europe.

Btw, Warsaw is a much nice city anyways, more modern and vast, with cultural diversity. The med school there is better, on par with the one in Poznan if you are looking for a match.

AniaL
06-03-2007, 08:50 PM
So how would you compare Warsaw and Krakow ( in terms of med schools of course) ? The insight that I have is that I have heard that the English program is better at Krakow.

LesniowskiCrohn
06-03-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm not sure anyone can answer that question truthfully, unless they've spent some time attending classes/doing clinicals at both (or all) places. And if they have transfered and have actually done this, I'd be a bit suspicious as to the "why?". So yeah, at best you'll get speculation and conjecture, at the worst outright fantasy. Besides, there's different strokes for different folks.

Oh yeah, btw, Krakow is better. ;)

But that's pure conjecture.

milinda
09-13-2007, 12:01 AM
I'm going 2 start d 6yr MD programme at gdansk.I dn't know anything abt d city or d uni.Could some 1 give some info abt d uni n d city?

Zut Alors!
09-14-2007, 02:06 AM
Why would you plan on attending a school you know nothing about and you've never visited? Even the most detailed and honest post (which you probably won't find) won't prepare you for what you're getting into. You owe it to yourself to visit.

unbeliever
09-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Gdansk is very remote, compared with Waw, Lublin, Katowice, Lodz, and Krakow...
It's waay up there, sitting on the Baltic, and I can tell you, there's nothing colder than a brisk wind in Gdansk. But the historic section is very pretty...very Dutch.
Other than the visit to this section I cant imagine why you'd choose this place over some of the other schools... that is, if you went to Poland in the first place...
I would stay away from Bialystok and sczecin for the same reasons...remoteness, and extreme weather. .
the other schools are in better locations, atleast weatherwise...
2cents

riverhead
09-20-2007, 11:40 AM
I haven't experienced any extreme weather in Szczecin. On the contrary - it's quite mild climate here compared to other parts of the Poland. This year there are 109 foreign students of medicine and dentistry who begin the first year of the English program here - so one can not complain of the loneliness or remoteness here. And it's always possible to do the trip to Berlin during the weekend :-)
Here you can learn more about the city Gdansk:
Gdansk Travel Guide - Gdansk Vacations - VirtualTourist.com (http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Poland/Wojewodztwo_Pomorskie/Gdansk-498698/TravelGuide-Gdansk.html)

Savior
09-20-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm going 2 start d 6yr MD programme at gdansk.I dn't know anything abt d city or d uni.Could some 1 give some info abt d uni n d city?

I think the most important thing is to talk with the students, to get a picture of how the school is, comparability between the polish and english div. and integration between the student body and Uni staff (some schools dont seem to care about the english div).

Because you are there to study...and if ur misserable at the school then it wont really matter how great the city is. So I totally agree with Zut Alors, but I guess you are in a situation where you dont have any other choice then to transfer.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.