PDA

View Full Version : Please explain this:

lmoliver
04-12-2007, 04:25 PM
:confused: "Antagonists of the TF pathway reduce reocclusion rates after thrombolysis and decrease the thrombogenicity of injured arteries in animal models. "

studying platelets and coagulation. Could someone pls explain this. Is there an easy way to learn this stuff?

AUCMD2006
04-12-2007, 08:14 PM
coagulation cascade diagram in first aid.

tissue factor is a receptor that initiates the coagulation cascade by activating one of thye factors. VII or VIII i don't remember. anyway just follow the activation cascade through Ca dependand X and IX. so an antagonist will bind the TF receptor preventing the clotting cascade fropm even starting.

you can also use lytic or inhibitory agents to block activation of the cascade at some point after the initial factors have formed. the protenaise inhibitor forming an inactive complex of TF that will not continue the clotting cascade. quick google come up with TFAb (TF anti0bodies) recombinant TFPI (pathway inhibitor) VIIai (guess it was VII but this is factor VIIa inhibitor)

best way is to diagram it out and know what step each works.

MDiva
04-15-2007, 09:55 AM
:confused: "Antagonists of the TF pathway reduce reocclusion rates after thrombolysis and decrease the thrombogenicity of injured arteries in animal models. "

studying platelets and coagulation. Could someone pls explain this. Is there an easy way to learn this stuff?

An antagonist is something that blocks or prevents something. So simply, any factor that blocks the TF pathway will impede formation of a thrombus. Thrombi can occlude, or block up arteries. Thrombogenicity is the tendency to make a thrombus. So to summarize, anything that blocks TF pathway will prevent thrombi from forming. For more, read the blood vessels chapter in Robbin's.

lmoliver
04-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks Diva, that helps. Now I can go back and try to fully understand the paper I was trying to read. But that can wait until tomorrow.

Auc, Thanks. I'm going to follow your advise this week and really sink my teeth into it.

lmoliver

lmoliver
04-15-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm using HUMAN PHYSIOLOGY, AN INTEGRATED APPROACH by Silverthorn. It's seems to me to be a very good text and really good diagrams. I also have my biochem and cell texts handy. Is it worth it to get Robbins, the book you suggested right now?

Your fan,
lmoliver

IMG SURVIVOR
04-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Your fan,
lmoliver

MDiva are you ready for the pressure that comes with fame:D

MDiva
04-16-2007, 07:44 AM
MDiva are you ready for the pressure that comes with fame:D

Hmm, let's have your people get with my people to work that one out :eek:

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.