PDA

View Full Version : Could use some help from the spouses.....

Baditude
02-20-2004, 08:37 PM
Hi there!! I am looking at AUC,SGU,Saba and Ross for hopefully Sept 2004. I would possibly be bringing my husband, who is a certified auto mechanic, and my children ages 12 and 8. My questions are these....
Which island is most family friendly ie: good schools for the kids, lots of "stuff" to do. Would my husband be able to work at any of these locations and which island would be able to find decent comfortable and affordable housing? Would I be better off coming alone (we have discussed this option and are okay with it if necessary)?
I could really use some been there done that kind of advice!!

Thanks

SnowRat
02-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Hi!

Although the Spouse Club here is generally attended by the wives, we do have a few husbands and boyfriends on the island as well. Most of them are busy with work. SXM is a difficult island on which to get a work visa, so it's best to work within AUC. Let me tell you though, with all the island cars we drive, your husband could stay very busy just fixing our cars!! He could even make good money buying junky cars and fixing them up to sell to the incoming students each semester.

As for your children, there is an elementary school located in and run by AUC with great teachers (spouses). For children in the upper grades, there are private schools on the island, but they tend to be a little expensive. Many of the spouses have teaching degrees and could home school your children if you are interested in that.

SXM is a beautiful island with great diversions for kids. We have the zoo, the butterfly farm, many beautiful beaches and watersports, and a strong supportive spouse club to help you with your children while you are concentrating on your studies.

What better experience for your children than to have the opportunity to spend some time outside of the US and learn about different cultures first hand?

If you have more questions, please email me at [email protected]
Trish

microphage
02-21-2004, 02:40 PM
Hi there!! I am looking at AUC,SGU,Saba and Ross for hopefully Sept 2004. I would possibly be bringing my husband, who is a certified auto mechanic, and my children ages 12 and 8. My questions are these....
Which island is most family friendly ie: good schools for the kids, lots of "stuff" to do. Would my husband be able to work at any of these locations and which island would be able to find decent comfortable and affordable housing? Would I be better off coming alone (we have discussed this option and are okay with it if necessary)?
I could really use some been there done that kind of advice!!

Thanks

Auto mechanic eh? I bet he can earn TONS of money just fixing the student's cars. Almost everybody here has a beater for a car and needs repairing. I'd be happy to pay decent money if there was a good mechanic on the island(still haven't found one yet). I would almost say the medical students can't leave the island without popping down at least a grand or two on repairs in just these 20 months(not including maintenance). :lol:

I know SGU and AUC both have spouses club so I would contact them directly to talk to the spouses. AUC's spouse club is organized by SnowRat so just email her and I think she can direct you to a bunch of the other spouses.

rossfamily
02-22-2004, 10:46 AM
Hi, I'm a Ross spouse and heading up the spouses club here as well. We have a very strong group that just got started this semester. Dominica is a little rough on the families that there isn't much to do, and not much shopping. The University has a daycare and prep school on campus for all ages. The teachers are not all spouses, some came here on contract to work. The beaches are nice and close to school. Housing is good but most family housing is about 10-15 minutes walking distance from school. Work here is difficult as you wouldn't have a work visa. Most spouses/significant others work at school but even then the jobs are limited. If you are looking for a place with lots of activities that aren't outdoors, Dominica is not the place. Even though it's a great school and you would receive an excellent education, we have to be very creative to keep ourselves busy here!!!

JewishDr'sWife
05-12-2004, 01:23 PM
I would like the forum to know I can most likely help with car stuff/questins. I am cerfied in Mazda/Ford models ( I worked in service at a dealership for several years) and also can help with tires ( I also worked at Bridgestone/Firestone) I can't do in depth repairs ( like rotary compression checks) but I can at least be of some help. If anyone has questions, please IM me at redfemmfatale or email me at [email protected]

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.