PDA

View Full Version : Xavier University / BONAIRE

dpatel987
03-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Hi,
I am a current student at Xavier University (BONAIRE campus) and I love it here. The island and the school is everything that I had expected it to be.If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask me.

Jatil7
04-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Hi,
I am a current student at Xavier University (BONAIRE campus) and I love it here. The island and the school is everything that I had expected it to be.If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask me.

Do you know if there have been any talks about introducing a cadaver lab anytime soon? I still have two semesters of pre-med, but would like to learn my gross anatomy with a cadaver and not just text. I was also wondering what the Xavier housing was like in Bonaire. They are providing housing for the first semester and I just wanted to know how the apartments are and if I need to rent a car/scooter. If you can help me out please let me know. Thanks.

PARIS-SOFIA
05-03-2007, 03:37 AM
hi.
I am going to Xusom Bonaire tis Fall and I wonder is if it is a a good shool or not. I mean, I am concerned with their reputation. Plus, I can,t find an info about their USMLE pass rates and residency placement. If you know more than me, please share your information.
Thanks. Paris

jameslynton
05-03-2007, 06:08 AM
hi.
I am going to Xusom Bonaire tis Fall and I wonder is if it is a a good school or not. I mean, I am concerned with their reputation. Plus, I can,t find an info about their USMLE pass rates and residency placement. If you know more than me, please share your information.
Thanks. ParisOk - on the risk-o-meter with 1 being a US top 50 school and 3-4 being SGU and 5-6 being Ross - this school is a ten. Reason - they once had this site for a school and moved to Aruba. Their reputation - well they are new and it is little better than an internet school - they may have connections with St Chris - send in your money and we will send you a degree based on your life experience... maybe not that bad. If that is the best you can do application wise then take it. Else - I would apply to schools in the lower risks like SMU - MUA-Nevis - AUA where they are at a 6-7. Even Spartan, St james & St Eu at a 7-8 are a better choice.

maximillian genossa
05-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Don't you think if they would have had REAL connections with St. Chris the ex-owner of St. Chris wouldn't have had such a big deal? Just think about it, why bother if you get shut down in one place when you have another one already up and running? Nonsense.

This has been debated here before and nothing came out.

Ok - on the risk-o-meter with 1 being a US top 50 school and 3-4 being SGU and 5-6 being Ross - this school is a ten. Reason - they once had this site for a school and moved to Aruba. Their reputation - well they are new and it is little better than an internet school - they may have connections with St Chris - send in your money and we will send you a degree based on your life experience... maybe not that bad. If that is the best you can do application wise then take it. Else - I would apply to schools in the lower risks like SMU - MUA-Nevis - AUA where they are at a 6-7. Even Spartan, St james & St Eu at a 7-8 are a better choice.

PARIS-SOFIA
05-04-2007, 01:15 AM
oh my!..
Well... What can I say.. I am upset to realize that the school I am going to attend is so bad. I still hoped to hear something good about. JAMESLYNTON thank you for your responce.
I don't know what to do though.. Probably I will try to apply in the other schools, but I already failed in SABA because they required me to take an MCAT. The thing is that I am a transfer student from another country, so I was hoping to get into the school without MCAT. So I was really really happy to hear from XAVIER, but know I see it was not as good as I thought.
Don't know what to do... Really..

jameslynton
05-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Don't you think if they would have had REAL connections with St. Chris the ex-owner of St. Chris wouldn't have had such a big deal? Just think about it, why bother if you get shut down in one place when you have another one already up and running? Nonsense.

This has been debated here before and nothing came out.Actually, according to one very good source who was a St Chris burnee - St Chris names are on the St X charter.

jameslynton
05-06-2007, 02:13 PM
oh my!..
Well... What can I say.. I am upset to realize that the school I am going to attend is so bad. I still hoped to hear something good about. JAMESLYNTON thank you for your responce.
I don't know what to do though.. Probably I will try to apply in the other schools, but I already failed in SABA because they required me to take an MCAT. The thing is that I am a transfer student from another country, so I was hoping to get into the school without MCAT. So I was really really happy to hear from XAVIER, but know I see it was not as good as I thought.
Don't know what to do... Really..Ok here is the good - Frankenstone who was a VMD moderator left St James and went to St X. He is currently in clinicals in Atlanta, Ga last I heard. So this school can make it happen for if you feel you have no better choices. Just understand the risks. Study hard for the Step 1 exam and do well on it. Make sure you do all greenbook clinical rotations.

I would strongly suggest that you take the MCAT - there are many good to very good MCAT prep books that will get you in the low to mid 30's with work and practice. Always try to get into a US school. If you did your schooling in Europe most of the big name schools SGU, AUC and Ross will look at your grades there with no MCAT. Call them and ask them. Many people are afraid of the MCAT test. It does appear to be pretty difficult test on the surface. However, much can be done in practice and test skills to mitigate and score well on it. If you think the MCAT is difficult (like climbing Mt Rainer - them the USMLE will feel like Mt Everest.

With work you can make the MCAT feel like a hill and the USMLE feel like a slightly bigger hill.

jameslynton
05-06-2007, 02:18 PM
oh my!..
.... but I already failed in SABA because they required me to take an MCAT. The thing is that I am a transfer student from another country, so I was hoping to get into the school without MCAT. So I was really really happy to hear from XAVIER, but know I see it was not as good as I thought.
Don't know what to do... Really..Saba is a difficult school to get into. Don't let not getting into Saba discourage you from the other schools. St James and SMU and a few other schools don't require the MCAT yet. It is actually a new thing at Saba. However, most school will require the MCAT if they have Ca approval. Also the MCAT is a good yard stick for measuring medical school success for critical reasoning. The VR (verbal reasoning) score is one of the best indicators of successful medical school performance. That includes island schools as well. You don't want to be one of those people who gets to pathology and takes two weeks to read one chapter in Robbins.

maximillian genossa
05-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Actually, according to one very good source who was a St Chris burnee - St Chris names are on the St X charter.

The only good source right now are the postings relevant to the receivership on the St. Chris legal case. They are posted in the St. Chris forum and you can download them. Very interesting stuff during the discovery phase about all the money links etc, no Xavier links so far, too bad for those conspiracy theorist on the St. Chris Xvier connection. Tell your source to check that out or to go and tell the attorney involved anything they know if he or she can prove it, I am sure the attorney will be more than glad to hear from him or her.

RUDRA
05-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Hi,
Thanks
i ganna join xusom boaire, but, i have doubt & heard a lot rumours about xusom .... has it WHO? ..., is it recognised to US /Canada license
If you would real,true & honest reply be appriciated..

Thanks agin.

Hi,

StormX
05-16-2007, 07:39 PM
I'm a current student at Xavier and I'm telling you...there is no St. Chris/Xavier connection. JamesL. sounds absolutely ridiculous. Do you even know if he goes to a med school? He doesn't. Where is he getting his information from? Probably hearsay. People who do not have any ground basis for slanderous and malicious attacks about schools don't seem to be reliable sources of information.
Please be wary of bloggers such as this. Check the public profile of these people and you'll see how many posts they have on ValueMD and how far this person's reach is in destroying schools' images for prospective students. It looks like he just has a lot of time.

Junito
05-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Ok - on the risk-o-meter with 1 being a US top 50 school and 3-4 being SGU and 5-6 being Ross - this school is a ten. Reason - they once had this site for a school and moved to Aruba. Their reputation - well they are new and it is little better than an internet school - they may have connections with St Chris - send in your money and we will send you a degree based on your life experience... maybe not that bad. If that is the best you can do application wise then take it. Else - I would apply to schools in the lower risks like SMU - MUA-Nevis - AUA where they are at a 6-7. Even Spartan, St james & St Eu at a 7-8 are a better choice.

Wow I didn't know that an official rating existed! Don't pay too much attention to rank listings since they are just opinions. Otherwise these rankings you see again and again are worthless.

jameslynton
05-17-2007, 08:55 AM
I'm a current student at Xavier and I'm telling you...there is no St. Chris/Xavier connection. JamesL. sounds absolutely ridiculous. Do you even know if he goes to a med school? He doesn't. Where is he getting his information from? Probably hearsay. People who do not have any ground basis for slanderous and malicious attacks about schools don't seem to be reliable sources of information.
Please be wary of bloggers such as this. Check the public profile of these people and you'll see how many posts they have on ValueMD and how far this person's reach is in destroying schools' images for prospective students. It looks like he just has a lot of time.Got my info from a former St Chris burnee who looked at the St Xavier papers on Bonaire a year or so back. What does having to go to a medical school do with anything? "People who do not have any ground basis for slanderous and malicious attacks about schools don't seem to be reliable sources of information". Why don't you prove that there is not a connection and post it!

"this person's reach is in destroying schools' images for prospective students" - No - just attempting to give people a prospective on all the schools - evaluation of risk - is subjective and an opinion. There is risk in driving to work each morning. There is risk in flying on an airplane. For a mountain climber there is a risk. Most climbing accidents happen on the way down - do you know why?

As I see it your school has no grads in residency (very high risk factor), is associated with GMC in Atlanta (high risk factor - as that many of their clinical rotations are not greenbook - AUA broke off their relationship with them for that reason). Your school was on Bonaire then left - and is now expanding and back (risk factor of spread out campuses and quality of education). Does not use the MCAT (risk factor) as part of the application process and evaluation of potential students. Now what part of that is slanderous and malicious?

Now why are you at that school and not in a US or Canadian medical school? Did you apply to them? Why are you not at SGU, AUC, Ross or Saba?

jameslynton
05-17-2007, 09:00 AM
I'm a current student at Xavier and I... It looks like he just has a lot of time.It is good to be proud of your school. However, be mindful of the risks. I would suggest you look carefully at the March 2007 match threads on the four 50-state island schools.

Without any grads in residency a start up school with the best of intentions is a very high risk! Where I live, Atlanta, Ga has a new DO school. They are on their second year here. They are for all practical purposes just about as risky as Xavier for me.

jameslynton
05-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Wow I didn't know that an official rating existed! Don't pay too much attention to rank listings since they are just opinions. Otherwise these rankings you see again and again are worthless.This is my own rating of risks for schools - it is just an opinion based on my own research. I based it on some mags US News and World report and Newsweek's evaluation of US medical schools. Drop out/success rates from US and Island medical schools based on school published data and conversations I have had with school officals. I gathered data from talking and PM students at many schools on valueMD & SDN. I created a grid with factors such as cost, safety, quality of teachers and staff, and future for what I wish to do. I used the same type of problem solving to decide on the cars I own. I drive a Volvo 240 station wagon. It is very safe, economical to operate, and I can haul stuff around in it.

Junito
05-17-2007, 09:37 AM
This is my own rating of risks for schools - it is just an opinion based on my own research. I based it on some mags US News and World report and Newsweek's evaluation of US medical schools. Drop out/success rates from US and Island medical schools based on school published data and conversations I have had with school officals. I gathered data from talking and PM students at many schools on valueMD & SDN. I created a grid with factors such as cost, safety, quality of teachers and staff, and future for what I wish to do. I used the same type of problem solving to decide on the cars I own. I drive a Volvo 240 station wagon. It is very safe, economical to operate, and I can haul stuff around in it.

Again it is an opinion, have you visited every campus? Have you seen the facilities of each campus (not just one or two, but all campuses you rated)? Do you have access to student pass rates on the USMLE? How about MCAT scores, acceptance rates, drop out rates? Your criteria is based on opinions of others which is flawed. Heck I can use the same criteria you used and I come up with a different ranking. Again these rankings are useless. I don't think the volvo analogy is a good one.

jameslynton
05-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Again it is an opinion, have you visited every campus? Have you seen the facilities of each campus (not just one or two, but all campuses you rated)? Do you have access to student pass rates on the USMLE? How about MCAT scores, acceptance rates, drop out rates? Your criteria is based on opinions of others which is flawed. Heck I can use the same criteria you used and I come up with a different ranking. Again these rankings are useless. I don't think the volvo analogy is a good one.I visited seven islands the last year. This included Bonaire where the X school at that time was shut down. Where hard scores were available and given - I got them. But like you say - it is my opinion based on my research - my conversations - my method for evaluating schools - my priorities. Places I have not gone to are Nevis & St E. Places I have visited - Dominica, Saba, St Martin, Grenada, Bonaire, Aruba, Antigua and Grand Cayman. I do have a Volvo 240 wagon. Per # of cars, per # miles it holds the record as the safest car ever produced.

What I am attempting to do is get people to objectively evaluate schools. Most people make emotional decisions. So they will defend their opinion. However, you can at least for yourself quantify what is best for you. After developing my own system - I decided not to go to the schools I was accepted at.

MedChe
05-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Junito for president

Junito
05-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Of Bolivia or Venezuela?

dpatel987
05-23-2007, 12:32 PM
For those students who are serious about Bonaire, I personally think you should directly contact the office to get all the true info. This isnt the best place to get it... a lot of people on this are not even students and are just on it to "talk" ....
Good Luck.

jameslynton
05-24-2007, 02:09 PM
For those students who are serious about Bonaire, I personally think you should directly contact the office to get all the true info. This isnt the best place to get it... a lot of people on this are not even students and are just on it to "talk" ....
Good Luck.Seriously dude. Their site is not even complete as of today at 5/24/2006

XUSOM- Xavier University School of Medicine (http://www.xusombonaire.net/current.htm)

dpatel987
05-24-2007, 04:43 PM
I see someone has a lot of time to sit online...and hate...
Whatever makes you happy:-)

jameslynton
05-24-2007, 05:54 PM
I see someone has a lot of time to sit online...and hate...Sorry dpatel, did I say something hateful to you?

jameslynton
05-25-2007, 07:00 AM
I see someone has a lot of time to sit online...and hate...A person who is hateful general does not dig into other's websites searching for information. As a moderator that reads the schools websites. This gives me a great deal of information about them. I pretty much use what is published and call schools admin's so I have a feel about where the school is coming from. The risk a future student will face there and the quality of the education that student will receive. That is not the action of a hateful person.

I would hope your school would take steps to correct the website in the interest of making themselves an excellent school. If you go to buy a car and it is not built with quality and craftsmanship and your experience from the time you walk into the dealership to the time you leave does not reflect this same care and craftsmanship. How does that make you feel? Well that's my .02s..

ol' man
05-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Seriously dude. Their site is not even complete as of today at 5/24/2006

XUSOM- Xavier University School of Medicine (http://www.xusombonaire.net/current.htm)

Looks complete to me. Must be that only IE can open it ...

Xavier University School of Medicine (http://www.xusombonaire.net/index.html)

http://www.xusombonaire.net/index.html

jameslynton
05-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Looks complete to me. Must be that only IE can open it ...

Xavier University School of Medicine (http://www.xusombonaire.net/index.html)

http://www.xusombonaire.net/index.html
That is the general website look at the page Posted. It has a still under construction message.

ol' man
05-29-2007, 11:21 AM
Like I said, my IE opens it. Maybe I'm the only one it will open for ...

There is one page on the entire website that has that message you posted. From the statement you made, you make it appear that the whole website looks like that ONE page. Basically, you took a school that you did not like and tried to make them look as bad as you could. But thats the great thing about an anonymous website isn't it ...

Junito
05-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Ol'man you are posting the link to the general page while JL is posting the link to the Current Student's page. Either way not a big deal...at least they are creating their own website from scratch ;)

jameslynton
05-29-2007, 01:29 PM
Ol'man you are posting the link to the general page while JL is posting the link to the Current Student's page. Either way not a big deal...at least they are creating their own website from scratch ;)All things considered after the events of the last few days, while they need to work on their website for more functionality. At least it is their's flaws and all.

jameslynton
05-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Like I said, my IE opens it. Maybe I'm the only one it will open for ...

There is one page on the entire website that has that message you posted. From the statement you made, you make it appear that the whole website looks like that ONE page. Basically, you took a school that you did not like and tried to make them look as bad as you could. But thats the great thing about an anonymous website isn't it ...Sorry, you miss read my intent. I am neutral about this school. I was checking out the website and found two pages under construction. I simply pointed it out. I check out most of the schools websites on a regular basis. They don't have a link to a website admin or I would have sent it to them that I could find. I have found issues in many of the websites and sent e-mails and seen the issue corrected. Generally, it is links or pages that are messed up.

dino04
01-16-2011, 02:49 PM
I am currently in canada i want to come to Xavier school of medicine Bonaire. I complete my undergrad in Health science in april 2011 looking forward to pre-med program. I was just wondering can I practice in Canada after completing the MD program?

Silent_Orchestra
01-18-2011, 10:39 AM
You can practice in Canada, but i believe getting residency in Canada is extremely tough and very competitive. I know that the current Canadian students are doing residency in the United States, and once residency is complete in the United States it is easier to go practice in Canada afterwards. Overall it is possible to do residency and practice in Canada, but getting residency is tough (unless you score very high on the medical licensing exams).

Carolyn Ross
12-19-2011, 01:59 AM
I do agree with you. Getting a residency in Canada is very difficult, as compared to other places. A high score in licensing exams is a must for this.

ChibuikeCharles
02-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Please any student from avalon university, curaçao. I need your assistance ASAP. Please HMU if you're considerate enough, please

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.