PDA

View Full Version : Why all the hate for IUHS?

MartyBlank
03-21-2007, 07:36 PM
I do not understand why so many of you continue to bash IUHS.

This is my first post. I am 38 years-old, and I am beginning a second career, one that will take me down the same path many of you are on.

IUHS is on my radar because I love the idea of independent learning. I am intrigued by the possibility of navigating the basic sciences on my terms at my time.

The idea of "online education" is already here in many forms. There isn't a single valid reason why many of the basic science components can not be taught through online technology. IUHS does not suggest in any way that the clinical education of any student be completed online. With a quality mentor, a medical student can actually have more of an advantage than a student produced at any other caribbean program. The catch is.... how to secure that mentor?

A closer look at IUHS is needed by all. The issues I have with IUHS are focused on their clinical sites, not how they provide a basic science education.

For what it is worth, the Ohio State University has had an independent-study program for their basic medical science component for 12 years now, and currently they have incorporated "online" technology into their lecture series. Yale also offers an independent study, with the students being given a study objective and allowed to complete them on their time, with any available online resource available to them. The list doesn't stop there, two US osteopathic programs will be starting "online independent study" options for their basic science students in 2008.

The state licensing boards still have the trump card. The USMLE. Student performance on those licensing exams will dictate if schools like IUHS are producing well-educated graduates.

ol' man
03-21-2007, 10:26 PM
There isn't a single valid reason why many of the basic science components can not be taught through online technology.

There is one valid reason. States look more closely at degrees from "outside" more closely, and they will not license you. That to me is the most valid reason of all ...

DOC.p
03-21-2007, 10:37 PM
For what it is worth, the Ohio State University has had an independent-study program for their basic medical science component for 12 years now, and currently they have incorporated "online" technology into their lecture series.

Yes, but this school is in the United States....big difference. Look, the bottom line is that although it may seem like we are "bashing" the school, most of us within reason bring up valid points why going to IUSH is a bad idea. We don't do it for fun, at least I don't, but those interested in the school need to be aware of these problems down the road. I speak for myself and many others that we have done extensive research in the route of Caribbean medical schools. Some of us have even gone as far as calling state licensing boards about their school and other schools of potential problems.

Just because there are negative postings about a school doesn't mean they are there for fun or out to ruin the image, they are VALID facts about the potential road blocks after graduating from IUHS. Although it's not my education but I would hope that you do your research as well, this doesn't not include talking to school officials. Even from the best schools, they lie or embelish things. Good luck to you.

Anthony Thomasson
03-21-2007, 10:41 PM
IUHS is a entity that has been on everyones radar for awhile. Stay clear. It is not a viable option. It is well known to state boards and is not accepted. Those of us who have been doing this for the last few years know of this. If you want to do medicine, you will have to commit to being in a classroom in a specific loation with real profs and other students. You will need microscopes, cadavers, clinical training and hospital time. There is no shortcut, no "study at home" course or "study at your own pace" course that is considered acceptable. There are many options here, just research some of them and stay far away from the so called IUHS...

Best of luck!

DRJJ1
03-22-2007, 08:03 AM
IUHS is a entity that has been on everyones radar for awhile. Stay clear. It is not a viable option. It is well known to state boards and is not accepted. Those of us who have been doing this for the last few years know of this. If you want to do medicine, you will have to commit to being in a classroom in a specific loation with real profs and other students. You will need microscopes, cadavers, clinical training and hospital time. There is no shortcut, no "study at home" course or "study at your own pace" course that is considered acceptable. There are many options here, just research some of them and stay far away from the so called IUHS...

Best of luck!

hey if you want to spend 20k a yr working on your own then do it..maybe you will come out the winner I did say MAYBE! easy way out is not the way even though at one point I considered it for over 3yrs checked into it and didn t like what I saw..botton line is THE MEDICAL BOARDS WILL NOT LICENSE YOU so maybe you like to go to school and spend tons of money for a hobby then I say do it..but if it was so good the school would have a waiting list to get into and you would then see more licensed grads in practice,,,do you see that? if you do then go,,the easy way out gullible people go for this,,they prey on people like yourself hoping for a better easier way to get the md degree,,,many people lost time and money trying this but go ahead and jump in some people only learn by doing it go but don t come back here and say we didn t tell you so..try smu

diogenes
03-22-2007, 08:46 AM
[quote=MartyBlank;574808]I do not understand why so many of you continue to bash IUHS.............................

I haven't seen much evidence of what I would call true 'bashing' of late: only quite sober-minded and considered criticism. If you want to see bashing, invective and rabid foam spraying out from the pc monitor look at some of the posts here from about 2 years ago.
The other replies to the OP have rightly highlighted the very real licensing limitations of a degree from IUHS. I would also like to point that a number of us have personal experience of IUHS and are none too enamoured with the school's ethics (or lack of them). The same management is in place and we have no reason to suppose that things have changed a great deal.

MartyBlank
03-22-2007, 09:01 AM
I have no clue if IUHS will fail.

My point earlier was you can not just throw out a blanket statement that "online" education is a failure. The University of Phoenix is successful for a reason, and it is the flexibility that an online education allows.

Further, to a large extent, medicine in itself is a career of self-directed learning. It requires independent education throughout a 20-30 year career.

Obviously I am not suggesting that any clinical education be replaced by a virtual patient. That is ridiculous. However. I think you can learn Biochemistry, Physiology, Pharmacology, Pathology in many different ways. They can be sitting in a classroom, sitting in front of your computer, or from reading a textbook.

That point is not even open for debate.

The issue is Gross Anatomy. I recognize the need for cadaver dissection, and this is where IUHS needs to address this issue. I think they could very easily address it by simply offering a June-August GA intensive study option on campus. Many US schools already do it, and it would allow for easier understanding of form and function when they begin their studies.

Online education will evolve, and ultimately will become a viable option for medical students, for both US and Foreign medical schools alike.

Many of you have valid points, do you want to be the one who is challenging state licensing boards? The answer is obviously no. It is always easier to navigate a path of least resistance. That being said, it comes down to personal choice. If you are dumb enough to fork over 20K per annua and not be able to practice in this country, you really have no one else to blame other than yourself.

If anyone needs an online community to tell them the possible risks associated with a new venture like IUHS, then possibly you shouldn't become a physician in the first place.

The caribbean medical school market has always been "buyer beware", there are no guarantees outside of the Big 3/4 (SGU, Ross, AUC, and possibly Saba). But they all faced similar difficult circumstances in their infancies. The test for IUHS will be how well organized they are, and how well they can address the concerns of licensing boards. If they a poorly organized and dimwitted, they will fail miserably.

AUCMD2006
03-22-2007, 11:45 AM
trouble is IUHS is not in its "infancy" it started in 1998 and has not proved to be a viable option. SMU started in 1997 had a crisis, moved and is so far ahead of iuhs that i doubt it is even measureable. AUA started in 2004 and already has residents this year as does st james, even st chris with its african charter, classes in england, loss of recognition by the GMC has grads working.

the issue is not about online medical education, i have no doubt it is the future, the issue is online medical education in a schools with no oversight, real credentialing bodies seeking licensure in the US. i am sure the university of phoenix and every other online program in the US has to meet guidelines and have oversight to remain accredited. until online education is the norm in the states this model of education should be avoided like the plague

DRJJ1
03-22-2007, 02:58 PM
trouble is IUHS is not in its "infancy" it started in 1998 and has not proved to be a viable option. SMU started in 1997 had a crisis, moved and is so far ahead of iuhs that i doubt it is even measureable. AUA started in 2004 and already has residents this year as does st james, even st chris with its african charter, classes in england, loss of recognition by the GMC has grads working.

the issue is not about online medical education, i have no doubt it is the future, the issue is online medical education in a schools with no oversight, real credentialing bodies seeking licensure in the US. i am sure the university of phoenix and every other online program in the US has to meet guidelines and have oversight to remain accredited. until online education is the norm in the states this model of education should be avoided like the plague

AND FORGOT TO MENTION EVEN THE USA HAD THEM MOVE OUT AND ENDED UP IN CANADA MAKES YOU THINK,,SOME PEOPLE LOVE TO LOSE MONEY I THINK NOTHING WE CAN DO ABOUT IT

Doc2B2007
03-22-2007, 03:51 PM

IUHS has grads working! Even Licensed! Not just In residency! Those schools with only 2 years of existance only have grads who took basic sciences somewhere else! So why keep stating something that is not true!

lswiltshire
03-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Doc2B2007, MartyBlack et al.

Dont listen to folk on this forum, man. Go to IUHS. The view of Basseterre & Nevis is lovely fom the corner of Wilkin & Wigley. These fellas want to deprive you of that man.

You might be suprised to know, however, that many on this forum who have sought to warn prospective students of this circus have actually studied, or taught at this place.

You might be suprised to know, that even the local folk dont take this school, Windsor or St Theresa seriously, or dont know that it (they) exists at all.

You might be suprised to know, that it is well known that the building at the corner of Wilkin & Wigley is closed most of the year in recent years (and this from friends who must pass there daily.)

The online has been a problem throughout because of its execution. The school has always been understaffed. The schooll has never really been about education- it has always been about greed and graft.

It continues to exist because of string pulling between corrupt government officials, and a school official who has well been described as "well connected."

You will never understand the degree of deceit that exists there unless you experience it first hand.

If you all knew what is good for you, you will forget IUHS.

A lot of good advice is given on this forum. But it is unfortunately not heeded. Go to SGU Ross AUC SABA MUA AUA be careful with the rest! Definitely avoid IUHS.

AUCMD2006
03-22-2007, 04:47 PM
IUHS has grads working! Even Licensed! Not just In residency! Those schools with only 2 years of existance only have grads who took basic sciences somewhere else! So why keep stating something that is not true!

we are discussing the internet program not the on campus program. i have asked several times over the last 4 years for someone to show a fully licensed grad from the internet program...there are rumors of 1 in some nebulous state that accepts online credits but no one has been able to verify this. so is there anyone from the online program that has been fully licensed yet?

and those schools with 2 years have taken in 3rd and 4rth year transfers hence why they wouild be in the residency cycle even after a year being open...case in point look at st james and 'docsoahib' he transfered in to st james in clinicals and was in residnecy before the first class left the island...so who is saying things that aren't true?

maximillian genossa
03-22-2007, 06:17 PM
...have had my differences with you in the past, I back your comment.

"even the local folk dont take this school (IUHS), Windsor or St Theresa seriously, or dont know that it (they) exists at all."

In the Caribbean...."be careful with the rest! Definitely avoid IUHS."

The problem is the management. They really can do better, and should have by now.

Dont listen to folk on this forum, man. Go to IUHS. The view of Basseterre & Nevis is lovely fom the corner of Wilkin & Wigley. These fellas want to deprive you of that man.

You might be suprised to know, however, that many on this forum who have sought to warn prospective students of this circus have actually studied, or taught at this place.

You might be suprised to know, that even the local folk dont take this school, Windsor or St Theresa seriously, or dont know that it (they) exists at all.

You might be suprised to know, that it is well known that the building at the corner of Wilkin & Wigley is closed most of the year in recent years (and this from friends who must pass there daily.)

The online has been a problem throughout because of its execution. The school has always been understaffed. The schooll has never really been about education- it has always been about greed and graft.

It continues to exist because of string pulling between corrupt government officials, and a school official who has well been described as "well connected."

You will never understand the degree of deceit that exists there unless you experience it first hand.

A lot of good advice is given on this forum. But it is unfortunately not heeded. Go to SGU Ross AUC SABA MUA AUA be careful with the rest! Definitely avoid IUHS.

maximillian genossa
03-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Licensing is not impossible for your graduates, but you have to concede this, it is a very limited amount of states, per my research as well as the research of now banned user NeilC.

I won't argue with you over this. Notice I am not saying NO STATE will license, no, that will be incorrect, I have checked it, there are some. But on the other hand, why make such a huge investment when you will be seriously limited in your options?

Doc2B2007
03-22-2007, 06:27 PM

I am a third year student who has done the online program and as all other students I have spent time on campus for classes! The campus is not closed and there are students who are on campus year round! I am in contact with several of these students on a regular basis! You are right about the view though it is GREAT! I know who several of the ex IUHS people that post here are and will not discuss their leaving with anyone but them as both they and I know why they left! There are Residents currently who completed the online program who again like all students spent time on island for specific course work. This program will get me licensed in the majority of states currently and the ones who will not do not concern me! If anyone wants to attend this school do not let others keep you from actually working with the school to see if it is what you want! If you do not want to attend this school it is OK just as it was ok for me to turn down the schools in the above quote! This school may not be for everyone but for those who find this to be what they are looking for do not hesitate to apply for admission!

maximillian genossa
03-22-2007, 06:33 PM
..."This school may not be for everyone..."

I am a third year student who has done the online program and as all other students I have spent time on campus for classes! The campus is not closed and there are students who are on campus year round! I am in contact with several of these students on a regular basis! You are right about the view though it is GREAT! I know who several of the ex IUHS people that post here are and will not discuss their leaving with anyone but them as both they and I know why they left! There are Residents currently who completed the online program who again like all students spent time on island for specific course work. This program will get me licensed in the majority of states currently and the ones who will not do not concern me! If anyone wants to attend this school do not let others keep you from actually working with the school to see if it is what you want! If you do not want to attend this school it is OK just as it was ok for me to turn down the schools in the above quote! This school may not be for everyone but for those who find this to be what they are looking for do not hesitate to apply for admission!

Doc2B2007
03-22-2007, 07:19 PM
..."This school may not be for everyone..."
No school is for everyone! Thats why we all have the freedom of choosing where we want to apply!

sheikh1
03-22-2007, 07:31 PM
I know they dont like this, no short cut in med eduction.

MartyBlank
03-22-2007, 07:58 PM
One thing bothers me about many of the replies in this thread.

If you truly are a student at another school, why would you care what the discussion is on a thread in the IUHS forum. It is suspicious at best.

Forget the "whys", how about the "hows'? How would a student at AUC find the time to post about IUHS?

I have stated clearly in my two posts that I have no idea whether or not IUHS is an absolute failure. I do know they have managed to stay in business for nearly 7 years now. In fact, many of the replies in this forum are to posts made 2 and 3 years ago that predicted IUHS' demise. Yet. They still remain standing.

The only one I tend to think is objective is Maximllian. His response seems to be pretty easy to understand.."IUHS is not for everyone, and if you decide to attend there, you have no one to blame but yourself...and further....there are other less risky choices available".

I paraphrased there, but I believe that to be the general theme to his posts.

I agree with all of it. I agree that SGU, Saba, and Ross clearly offer me less risky paths to becoming a physician. The only thing that atrracts me to IUHS is the electronic component to the basic sciences. I am a self-learner, and I don't think I lose anything by completing Biochem/Embryo/Physio/Path online.

Which leads me to the place where I am at. I will apply to IUHS, I will fly down to the island. I will thorougly investigage the licensing issues in my home state. If I am dumb enough to throw away 20K without fully investigating the risks associated with IUHS, who is to blame? Obviously myself.

I can live with that.

And just to better understand the posters here. Can someone help me understand how or why a full-time medical student would give a single thought to the prospective medical school choice of a complete stranger?

The cynic in me believes that there is nothing altruistic in this, but rather a monetary influence at stake. It also makes me believe other programs and schools want the entire sandbox for themselves.

St. George's/Ross/Saba have no reason whatsoever to fear any competition. They clearly are doing it right. However, some of the less desirable schools could do better with less competition. Food for thought anyway.

Doc2B2007
03-22-2007, 08:06 PM
I know they dont like this, no short cut in med eduction.
There are no shortcuts at IUHS it is a four year program for all students No advanced credits, No diplomas without earning it! The program is intense and requires your complete dedication at all times!

anatomy_guy
03-22-2007, 08:33 PM

If you truly are a student at another school, why would you care what the discussion is on a thread in the IUHS forum. It is suspicious at best.

Forget the "whys", how about the "hows'? How would a student at AUC find the time to post about IUHS?

The only one I tend to think is objective is Maximllian. His response seems to be pretty easy to understand.."IUHS is not for everyone, and if you decide to attend there, you have no one to blame but yourself...and further....there are other less risky choices available".

I agree with all of it. I agree that SGU, Saba, and Ross clearly offer me less risky paths to becoming a physician. The only thing that atrracts me to IUHS is the electronic component to the basic sciences. I am a self-learner, and I don't think I lose anything by completing Biochem/Embryo/Physio/Path online.

Which leads me to the place where I am at. I will apply to IUHS, I will fly down to the island. I will thorougly investigage the licensing issues in my home state. If I am dumb enough to throw away 20K without fully investigating the risks associated with IUHS, who is to blame? Obviously myself.

I can live with that.

And just to better understand the posters here. Can someone help me understand how or why a full-time medical student would give a single thought to the prospective medical school choice of a complete stranger?

The cynic in me believes that there is nothing altruistic in this, but rather a monetary influence at stake. It also makes me believe other programs and schools want the entire sandbox for themselves.

Some of us have seen what IUHS is about and some of us investigated IUHS for the same reasons you stated and then decided it against because of licensing issues. I agree that online basic science medical education is an exciting prospect and may occur in the future but you need to be aware of a number of issues. First, Ohio State University, LECOM, and some of the other schools with Independent Study tracks do require attendance at some classes or courses. LECOM for instance requires attendance at the Osteopathic Manipulation and Medical interviewing course. There is also a certain amount of attendance required for Gross Anatomy. Also Ohio State University requires attendance for some of the courses, especially those related to Gross Anatomy and Medical Communications. Second, a certain amount of online coursework is considered acceptable as long as it is considered to be computer-assisted learning and properly supervised, as per the LCME. Third, a number of highly regarded medical schools use online learning but it is in certain areas that lend itself to online learning. Thus these medical schools regulate what is acceptable and what is not. Personally, I like online learning because I can do it on my time and I love the discussions because you see so many different viewpoints and approaches to the material at hand. If you are not worried about licensure, hey, spend the money and go for it. If you are wanting to be licensed, don't do IUHS. As of this date there is no one licensed who did their program online. You can do residencies having completed an online program because residencies are educational or training programs and many states will give the resident an educational or training license, because they are supervised by a fully licensed independent physician. Getting the full licensure to practice independently will be the problem.

Good luck with your decision. Caveat emptor!
A_G

AUCMD2006
03-22-2007, 09:16 PM
"Forget the "whys", how about the "hows'? How would a student at AUC find the time to post about IUHS?"

not a student..read the tag line. graduated with my MD last november just matched last week so i have nothing but time until june 23rd

"I have stated clearly in my two posts that I have no idea whether or not IUHS is an absolute failure."

as a business they are not a failure they still get the money..as a school however that has been around since 1998 that is debatable

"I do know they have managed to stay in business for nearly 7 years now. In fact, many of the replies in this forum are to posts made 2 and 3 years ago that predicted IUHS' demise. Yet. They still remain standing."

cheap to run a few servers and minimal facilities there are always people willing to put money down on this. many, many, many chiros,nutrritionists, dentists, podiatrists, naturapaths don't really need to get licensed and just want the title 'MD' for marketing that is how these places stay in business. similar thing happened with bogus russian med schools in the late 80's and in the 90's they were still fisning chiros and podiatrists using the titles they bought. please for the love of God post when you get back

I am a self-learner, and I don't think I lose anything by completing Biochem/Embryo/Physio/Path online.

the licensing boards don't care about your learning style, youru favorite color or how you take your coffee...they are burocrats with narrow minds so while the online model is the future they don't care

"Which leads me to the place where I am at. I will apply to IUHS, I will fly down to the island. I will thorougly investigage the licensing issues in my home state."

yes do that. i remember posts by neilc who last year was in the position i am now(lots of time before residency) and a few people actually called almost every state and the concensus was that over 40 said no to licensing, a few had not taken it into consideration and the rest would review the application.

"And just to better understand the posters here. Can someone help me understand how or why a full-time medical student would give a single thought to the prospective medical school choice of a complete stranger?"

because 4 years ago we were in the same exact position thinking that a who and imed listing meant something and that as long as you were able to sit for the usmle all would be a ok. as for me i almost ended up at one of these places until i actually researched it and learned that the who and imed is nothing more than a phone book and the only thing needed to sit for the usmle is a listing in the 'phone book'..it is a huge joke to claim imed listing means anything.

all right enough altruism..back to halo

just for s and giggles, run a google search on residents from the schools you are interested in.then there are doctor finders for most states that allow you to search docs by many factors including schools..try that out for fun and see how many residents and or licensed docs iuhs has produced since its debut in 1998 and compare that to st mathew's which started around the same time.

DRJJ1
03-22-2007, 09:34 PM

I have stated clearly in my two posts that I have no idea whether or not IUHS is an absolute failure. I do know they have managed to stay in business for nearly 7 years now. In fact, many of the replies in this forum are to posts made 2 and 3 years ago that predicted IUHS' demise. Yet. They still remain standing.

I can live with that.

St. George's/Ross/Saba have no reason whatsoever to fear any competition. They clearly are doing it right. However, some of the less desirable schools could do better with less competition. Food for thought anyway.

ROSS less risky? dude,,they have licensed drs out there,,,this school will face problems young kids do not need,,hey if you got money to burn and want to take a chance maybe even take the state bds on legally for years and super costly then go ahead,,,but when they check into your education and deny you a license don t cry cough up more money and sue them maybe spend another 100k legal fees,,,then let the state bd question why on your transcript dr does your courses say or not say if they were taken on campus or not,,,then you ll be shaking while you turn to your lawyer and he will say time for a break we need to meet outside then and only then break out your check book again cause this one will cost you and maybe for fraud when they cannot compare like education to other licensed drs in the state you should be well equipped to face the music then,,,you see,,,all the state bds will know this school and how they operate,,,I tried to call them email them over and over and got nothing ,,,yes a perspective student who they should have been wooing me i got no answers,,,do you want to set up your own non approved core rotations? pay mentors off to sign you off? beg the state bds to be licensed since you passed the steps? yes I do know of one person in resid and I am waiting for that person when license time arrives,,until that day I remain on guard,,,you think I wouldn t want to do it this way without selling my office and study home? it may work for other courses online but not for medicine ,,,remember nothing worth while in life is worth getting without hard work and sacrifice,,,the school is still open because of gulliable people who continue to hope,,like a stock down from 100 to 2 bux and people buying more hoping for a rebound,,,good luck and don t say we didn t warn you,,,again,,yes,,you can go the whole distance including doing resid and passing your boards and still not get licensed due to the education WAS NOT COMPARABLE TO OTHERS LICENSED IN THE STATE,,THE BDS WILL HAVE LOTS OF AMMO TO TAKE YOU DOWN,,,I DID MY RESEARCH IN THIS PATH SO I DO KNOW THAT THIS IS A BIGGG GAMBLE WITH ODDS AGAINST YOU,,,YOU MAY GET LICENSED MAYBE IN SOUTH DAKOTA WITH TOWNS OF 200 POP THOUGH play it smart, or get burnt

maximillian genossa
03-23-2007, 08:15 AM
...""IUHS is not for everyone, and if you decide to attend there, you have no one to blame but yourself...and further....there are other less risky choices available"."

That is exactly what I mean.

rosstartan
03-23-2007, 04:07 PM
They don't need students on the campus to make money. What they have done is sold their on-line curriculum to several schools located in both India and China. They make their money that way.

Carmen
03-24-2007, 10:03 PM
They don't need students on the campus to make money. What they have done is sold their on-line curriculum to several schools located in both India and China. They make their money that way.

I think before a student worries about being licensed, this student should consider if he or she is getting a proper medical education. Don't go there as an easy route, get an education to become a good doctor. Compare what IUHS is teaching with another medical school. Nobody can decide but the student. One word of advice, don't pay the tuition upfront - pay month by month. If you are unhappy, you can leave without spending all of your money.

IUHS makes money from their on-line students as well as the other campuses. The students from India and Dubai attend IUHS so that it will be easier to come to the U.S. My only hope is that the education is sound and I am doubtful of this from what I know. Since we may run into one of them in the ER one day and depend on them to save a life.

DRJJ1
03-24-2007, 11:13 PM
I think before a student worries about being licensed, this student should consider if he or she is getting a proper medical education. Don't go there as an easy route, get an education to become a good doctor. Compare what IUHS is teaching with another medical school. Nobody can decide but the student. One word of advice, don't pay the tuition upfront - pay month by month. If you are unhappy, you can leave without spending all of your money.

IUHS makes money from their on-line students as well as the other campuses. The students from India and Dubai attend IUHS so that it will be easier to come to the U.S. My only hope is that the education is sound and I am doubtful of this from what I know. Since we may run into one of them in the ER one day and depend on them to save a life.

they make you pay 20k up front

Doc2B2007
03-25-2007, 09:47 AM
False information again!!! The school does not require large up front fees!

Doc2B2007
03-25-2007, 10:26 AM

The education is sound! The instructors care about the students and work hard to meet the students needs! The instructors are very responsive to questions and continually update the tools they use for teaching to ensure the information is up to date and accurate! The education provided is very good but the students must take that information and learn it so they can do well! :)

dt
03-25-2007, 10:49 AM
The education is sound! The instructors care about the students and work hard to meet the students needs! The instructors are very responsive to questions and continually update the tools they use for teaching to ensure the information is up to date and accurate! The education provided is very good but the students must take that information and learn it so they can do well! :)

Any licensed IUHS physician in the US or Canada? If yes, where?

anatomy_guy
03-25-2007, 11:33 AM

How do you the education is sound? Are there any licensed physicians from IUHS's basic science online program? Do you have any evidence to show the success of the program other than anecdotal comments? Anecdotal comments are meaningless. Provide sound evidence! Also, how do you know the information is up to date and accurate? Just because a textbook comes out with a copyright date of 2007 doe NOT mean it is up to date. There are still errors in those textbooks. You need to look at the litereature as well. Also, I know some of the instructors and a good portion of them are NOT even qualified to teach in a medical school and don't even have jobs teaching in a medical school. I know a couple of the online teachers from Michigan are NOT faculty at the University of Michigan or Wayne State University or Michigan State University, the higher education institutions in the state of Michigan that have medical schools. There is more to being an instructor than knowing the book. It is important to facilitate discussion and keep abreast of the subject matter as there are updates and changes going on all the time!
Really, please avoid making general statements and think before posting. It would make better sense to be specific about the things you do know.
A_G

Doc2B2007
03-25-2007, 01:03 PM
How do you the education is sound? Are there any licensed physicians from IUHS's basic science online program? Do you have any evidence to show the success of the program other than anecdotal comments? Anecdotal comments are meaningless. Provide sound evidence! Also, how do you know the information is up to date and accurate? Just because a textbook comes out with a copyright date of 2007 doe NOT mean it is up to date. There are still errors in those textbooks. You need to look at the litereature as well. Also, I know some of the instructors and a good portion of them are NOT even qualified to teach in a medical school and don't even have jobs teaching in a medical school. I know a couple of the online teachers from Michigan are NOT faculty at the University of Michigan or Wayne State University or Michigan State University, the higher education institutions in the state of Michigan that have medical schools. There is more to being an instructor than knowing the book. It is important to facilitate discussion and keep abreast of the subject matter as there are updates and changes going on all the time!
Really, please avoid making general statements and think before posting. It would make better sense to be specific about the things you do know.
A_G
So you are saying that The textbooks used by the medical schools in the US are not good enough to teach from? This means that every student in the US is not getting a sound education due to mistakes in the textbooks they use? How do you know whether our instructors are using the lastest literature for their lectures or not? You do not as you do not attend their lectures! I can tell you they do use recent literature for their lectures as they refer us to this same literature for additional reading! I know the difference between a bad education and a good one as I have an extensive education prior to attending this school and have seen bad and good educational settings. I have good friends who are currently teaching at US medical schools who have sat in on lectures from the school to help me evaluate the courses and decide if it was going to be a good education. They all felt that the lectures were good and that they presented the information in a comparable level of quality to what they themselves would present. So do not tell me you are any more qualified than they are to assess the classes. Do the math, the school has been here for seven actual years and has students in their Residencies finishing this year or starting fellowships. We have a class graduating this year that just went through the match and did well getting their top choices. I can not speak for those who may have been here before I started but All of the instructors currently with the school are very well qualified for the positions they hold. You seem to be working from out of date information at this time and should be working with current information instead.

maximillian genossa
03-25-2007, 02:04 PM

That will be UHSA, Antigua, They ask for 20k in advance, or used to.
Similar names, different location, basic sciences online stuff.

maximillian genossa
03-25-2007, 02:20 PM
They do have residents that completed they basic sciences online, that I have confirmed by outside parties. Obviously the method worked for those fellows, who are you or me to impose our criteria on them? It's their choice, it is a matter of perception and how it works. Obviously it worked for these folks. If they would have had problems, they would have been kicked out of their residencies. Or it could be one of those residency programs that wnat to keep a warm body on duty, we don't know that.

The success of the program can be determined once they start producing licensed physicians. As of now, I personally know of 2, yes 2. There might be more, who knows, it is one of those world secrets like Israel's nulcear bombs, we know they exist but don't know where.

That said, there need to be more licensed physicians in order to judge. I don't think it works for everyone, and that is the feeling I get from these forums, that some of us pretend to establish the premise that this is for everyone, no, WRONG again.

As I said before, it is a matter of choice, their money their time, their talent. We didn't do it, fine, they did it, their problem, not ours. They may or may not face difficulty at time of licensure, their problem also, not ours. We can barely live our own lives and pretend to live and dictate how other should live theirs?

Peace to all

A_G

anatomy_guy
03-25-2007, 03:24 PM
They do have residents that completed they basic sciences online, that I have confirmed by outside parties. Obviously the method worked for those fellows, who are you or me to impose our criteria on them? It's their choice, it is a matter of perception and how it works. Obviously it worked for these folks. If they would have had problems, they would have been kicked out of their residencies. Or it could be one of those residency programs that wnat to keep a warm body on duty, we don't know that.

The success of the program can be determined once they start producing licensed physicians. As of now, I personally know of 2, yes 2. There might be more, who knows, it is one of those world secrets like Israel's nulcear bombs, we know they exist but don't know where.

That said, there need to be more licensed physicians in order to judge. I don't think it works for everyone, and that is the feeling I get from these forums, that some of us pretend to establish the premise that this is for everyone, no, WRONG again.

As I said before, it is a matter of choice, their money their time, their talent. We didn't do it, fine, they did it, their problem, not ours. They may or may not face difficulty at time of licensure, their problem also, not ours. We can barely live our own lives and pretend to live and dictate how other should live theirs?

Peace to all

The question I had was with the statement that "The education is sound". I personally know a couple of the IUHS instructors and know their qualifications. I also know that there are also some going through the MD program, too, hoping to become qualified to practice. Like I have said before I like the idea of online education but it is not for everyone. I also know that licensing is the biggest issue and that getting into residency is NOT a problem and getting an educational license is also NOT a problem. However, getting a permanent or independent license is a different issue. Lets see what happens on that score. As to the quality of the textbooks, most are good however there are always errors in a textbook and it takes an experienced instructor to know the difference and give the proper corrections. So take the quality of instruction from IUHS with a grain of salt and ensure you are getting the proper information, after all that is your responsibility.
A_G

Doc2B2007
03-25-2007, 05:55 PM
The question I had was with the statement that "The education is sound". I personally know a couple of the IUHS instructors and know their qualifications. I also know that there are also some going through the MD program, too, hoping to become qualified to practice. Like I have said before I like the idea of online education but it is not for everyone. I also know that licensing is the biggest issue and that getting into residency is NOT a problem and getting an educational license is also NOT a problem. However, getting a permanent or independent license is a different issue. Lets see what happens on that score. As to the quality of the textbooks, most are good however there are always errors in a textbook and it takes an experienced instructor to know the difference and give the proper corrections. So take the quality of instruction from IUHS with a grain of salt and ensure you are getting the proper information, after all that is your responsibility.
A_GWhen did a PhD in a subject with a teaching certificate not qualify them for teaching in that area? That would mean many US medical schools would have non qualified instructors teaching for them! Your an anatomy professor are you a PhD or MD or? What qualifies you to teach anatomy? How can it be OK for US medical schools but not IUHS to use a PhD for instructing! Instructors here are PhD's or MD's Some currently doing research in their area of specialty. Why the double standard on who is qualified to teach! Also How did you get your experience teaching if it was not by teaching? Should teachers be required to, what, teach each other for ten years before they are qualified to teach real students maybe it should be twenty years so they can be nearly dead before they are allowed to teach their area of specialty!!! If it is the students responsibility to ensure the information is correct then why bother with schools at all just let everyone to study on their own and then take standardized tests for a license!! That would save us all lots of money and get rid of the schools all together! But then we would not have jobs for teachers or administrators they would all be out of jobs! No! lets just let the schools alone so they can do their job and let the state boards do their job when its time and determine if a graduate is qualified for a license or not!

DRJJ1
03-25-2007, 07:28 PM

Peace to all

I KNOW 1 RIGHT NOW DOING 1ST YR RESID BUT THIS PERSON IS A MOTIVATED INDIVIDUAL AND EXPERIENCED HEALTHCARE PROVIDER WHO IS FITITNG INTO THE SYSTEM NICELY WHO ALSO PASSED STEP 1 2 AND CURRENTLY GOING TO GO FOR STEP 3 SOON AND GET A TEMP LICENSED AS WELL,,,WE WILL SOON FIND OUT IF THEY MAKE IT THRU FOR THE ACTUAL LICENSE I PREFER TO KEEP THIS LOW KEY TOO,,,BUT THE RISK IS WAY TOOO HIGH SO I DECIDED AGAINST THIS SO CALLED EASY WAY AND GO ON CAMPUS,,,IM NOT IN THE RISK TAKING MOOD AT MY AGE NOW AT 20K A YR ON YOUR OWN TOO PRE PAID,,,GOOD LUCK IF YOU GO THIS ROUTE YOU LL NEED IT AND PLEASE DO TELL YOUR SPOUSE AND OR PARENTS THE FULL SCOOP BEFORE STARTING THIS PROGRAM AND SEE WHAT THEY TELL YOU IM SURE IT WON T BE SWEET AND NICE LIKE CANDY WEAR YA EARPLUGS TOO BYE

maximillian genossa
03-25-2007, 10:42 PM
There are more than one doing residency, I am sure a couple i their 3rd year of residency. And to clarify, the school that asks for the 20k in advance is in Antigua, UHSA, nit this one. Double check that one. And I dont need to take that route. Don't need it anymore.

It is a gamble, as I said before, their money,their time, their risk...their business.

And stop yelling at me, (caps) it reflect poorly on your character. You don't need to yell to express your opinions. I have not disrespected you, I expect you to do the same. Thanks.

I KNOW 1 RIGHT NOW DOING 1ST YR RESID BUT THIS PERSON IS A MOTIVATED INDIVIDUAL AND EXPERIENCED HEALTHCARE PROVIDER WHO IS FITITNG INTO THE SYSTEM NICELY WHO ALSO PASSED STEP 1 2 AND CURRENTLY GOING TO GO FOR STEP 3 SOON AND GET A TEMP LICENSED AS WELL,,,WE WILL SOON FIND OUT IF THEY MAKE IT THRU FOR THE ACTUAL LICENSE I PREFER TO KEEP THIS LOW KEY TOO,,,BUT THE RISK IS WAY TOOO HIGH SO I DECIDED AGAINST THIS SO CALLED EASY WAY AND GO ON CAMPUS,,,IM NOT IN THE RISK TAKING MOOD AT MY AGE NOW AT 20K A YR ON YOUR OWN TOO PRE PAID,,,GOOD LUCK IF YOU GO THIS ROUTE YOU LL NEED IT AND PLEASE DO TELL YOUR SPOUSE AND OR PARENTS THE FULL SCOOP BEFORE STARTING THIS PROGRAM AND SEE WHAT THEY TELL YOU IM SURE IT WON T BE SWEET AND NICE LIKE CANDY WEAR YA EARPLUGS TOO BYE

anatomy_guy
03-25-2007, 10:44 PM
When did a PhD in a subject with a teaching certificate not qualify them for teaching in that area? That would mean many US medical schools would have non qualified instructors teaching for them! Your an anatomy professor are you a PhD or MD or? What qualifies you to teach anatomy? How can it be OK for US medical schools but not IUHS to use a PhD for instructing! Instructors here are PhD's or MD's Some currently doing research in their area of specialty. Why the double standard on who is qualified to teach! Also How did you get your experience teaching if it was not by teaching? Should teachers be required to, what, teach each other for ten years before they are qualified to teach real students maybe it should be twenty years so they can be nearly dead before they are allowed to teach their area of specialty!!! If it is the students responsibility to ensure the information is correct then why bother with schools at all just let everyone to study on their own and then take standardized tests for a license!! That would save us all lots of money and get rid of the schools all together! But then we would not have jobs for teachers or administrators they would all be out of jobs! No! lets just let the schools alone so they can do their job and let the state boards do their job when its time and determine if a graduate is qualified for a license or not!

I won't dignify the above with anything more than GIGO!
A_G

DRJJ1
03-25-2007, 10:58 PM
A_G

OKO OK lol not yelling typing in dark and too lazy to hit off caps,,and it is uhsa,,yep that one you mentioned,,,

MDiva
03-26-2007, 09:44 AM
A_G

Wow, I was looking forward to your response there, A_G. Anyway, I have been reading this thread and I would like to know if you are serious about your points that seem to equate teaching quality with the ability to pick out typos and errors. I mean, wow...I attended a large research university for my undergraduate education, and particularly in my science courses, I recall numerous incidents of typos and errors in our texts, some pointed out by us students even. There would be errors in the professor's lecture notes, errors on our exams. This continued on into med school as well (same university). Until reading your post, I have always felt that the education I have received was top-notch. Damn. Thanks for the reality check!

anatomy_guy
03-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Wow, I was looking forward to your response there, A_G. Anyway, I have been reading this thread and I would like to know if you are serious about your points that seem to equate teaching quality with the ability to pick out typos and errors. I mean, wow...I attended a large research university for my undergraduate education, and particularly in my science courses, I recall numerous incidents of typos and errors in our texts, some pointed out by us students even. There would be errors in the professor's lecture notes, errors on our exams. This continued on into med school as well (same university). Until reading your post, I have always felt that the education I have received was top-notch. Damn. Thanks for the reality check!

Actually, there are two types of errors. The first is usually grammatical or improper spelling. The second is usually technical, i.e. someone writing inferior rectus m when the correct muscle is the inferior oblique for a blowout eye injury that occurs in boxing or when the head hits the steering wheel and the floor of the orbit where the inferior oblique m is attached is fractured and becomes loose. The resultant effect is diplopia or double vision. Hopefully, professors would point out the errors and make the correction. I don't necessarily equate good teaching with being able to point out errors in texts or other materials but I do equate good teaching with the ability of the instructor to get the student to learn. For this to occur, it is not necessary to always have lectures or the "sage on the stage" presence but it does help to be very cognizant of the subject area as well as knowledgeable about teaching methods and what it takes to get students to LEARN! Also, it is some would say helpful bit I say necessary for the instructor to know the clinical relevance of the material and how it builds. This is a skill that takes experience to develop.
A_G

MDiva
03-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the response, Anatomy Guy. I agree with you about professors and getting the students to learn. But I'll tell you, much of my academic experience has been punctauted with professors that made it very clear that they'd rather be in the research lab than the lecture halls. I think that solid learning is a mix of good professors, motivated students, and access to both the standard instructional materials (textbooks) plus inclusion of current research data. Good professors typically include references to the latter in their lectures and notes. Now, can you honestly say that this is not being done at IUHS? I know for a fact that it is :)

whats_up_doc
04-04-2007, 10:29 PM
I am not another school and I can say at the end of the day, I do rotations with people from other schools including IUHS. People who choose to attend this school know the risk involved and if they are willing to take it that is their decision. I have notice in medicine a lot of the criticism comes from people thing some people have it easier than them. At the end of the day we are all offshore students so the administration of the various US hospitals don't see a difference, only the students and the professors.

ULTRON
04-09-2007, 12:27 AM
I feel that everyone has a right to an education - whether it's a full-time working parent in their middle age, or whether its a person missing both their legs attending IUHS online. I guess it's up to the student to decide what program is good for them.

In the end all that matters is how many lives you've saved....not what medical school you attended.

MDiva
04-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Everyone does have a right to an education. But the sentiment of this and other threads is that everyone doesn't have the right to be licensed. Many personalities on this forum are passionately devoted to portraying themselves as experts about certain aspects of training and practice--from med schools to the licensing process. Doesn't bother me none, everyone has the right to a hobby ;)

A person's education, if solid, will stand on its own. Until we have actual PDs, attendings, PIs and others responsible for evaluation of students/residents come forth with firsthand accounts of the poor quality of such 'n such of so and so's school, it is all speculation and personal opinion. Disgruntled students and former/current school employees, in my opinion, make the worst sources of objectivity. I have read many different schools' threads, and this sort of thing is rampant on this site. It really is...weird, that total strangers care as much as they do about other total strangers' choices. Seem to be a lot of insecurity around here :roll:

As far as the central argument is concerned, which is the licensing issue, I applaud those that took the time and made the effort to 'research' state medical boards on everyone's behalf, no matter how truncated the list. However, it would be foolish for anyone to make their final decisions without getting the information they need directly from the licensing boards themselves. Concerning proof of licensed practicing physicians, I find it really really strange that some posters state that 'there are no licensed grads from this school' with such conviction. Just like in the older posts, the same sentiment was found in the statements that 'no students from this school can pass boards', then later, 'no students can get residency'...and here were are today, 'no grads can get licensed'. I see a pattern here, don't you? LOL

DOC.p
04-09-2007, 12:16 PM
...Concerning proof of licensed practicing physicians, I find it really really strange that some posters state that 'there are no licensed grads from this school' with such conviction...
you see this because currently you cannot be licensed if any of your classes in basic sciences were taken through distant learning. do i know personally if there are any practicing grads? - i have no idea so i wouldn't go as far as saying that there are none. what i do say, as i repeat from above, is that i don't believe grads will be able to be licensed at this time.

MDiva
04-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks, DocP, for your response. But you are incorrect. There are states that will license with the distant learning. Re-read the listing in the licensing thread about online sciences, I think a few are listed there, but not all. Also, look at the previous posts in this thread, there is mention of licensed grads, albeit the numbers were not that impressive. But even 'one' cancels out the 'none'.

DOC.p
04-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Thanks, DocP, for your response. But you are incorrect. There are states that will license with the distant learning. Re-read the listing in the licensing thread about online sciences, I think a few are listed there, but not all. Also, look at the previous posts in this thread, there is mention of licensed grads, albeit the numbers were not that impressive. But even 'one' cancels out the 'none'.
this is what i've been told from other users who have contacted licensing boards as well as a few other physicians. if you say that there are states as well as licensed grads, then i won't argue with you

MDiva
04-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Don't just take people's words for anything, including mine. Contact the state med boards yourselves and get the answers you seek. If your desired state(s) tells you no, so be it, move on. Choose the schools that the med boards will say yes to and go forward. On the other hand, if you choose this route for your education and your desired board will in fact license you, you probably need to think long and hard. Just because you can do something, does it mean you should?

maximillian genossa
04-09-2007, 03:45 PM
You just said it, you don't believe grads will be able to get licensed. Your beliefs, not facts. They can get licensed, in maybe limited places but they can. I have been in this kind of business hearing similar arguments maybe for as long as you have been born. Do more research on the subject, objective research and you will find that in fact they can get licensed.

Thanks

By the way, I am not an IUHS fan nor I endorse them, I am just a little bit more objective (or at least try to) than the average user in this website.

you see this because currently you cannot be licensed if any of your classes in basic sciences were taken through distant learning. do i know personally if there are any practicing grads? - i have no idea so i wouldn't go as far as saying that there are none. what i do say, as i repeat from above, is that i don't believe grads will be able to be licensed at this time.

anatomy_guy
05-01-2007, 06:44 AM

Actually, Drexel University College of Medicine runs a Summer Biochemistry Course by Distance Education over the internet and it is posted on the AAMC website. It is a remedial course that must be approved by your current US or Canadian medical school but most schools still do approve. Also West Virginia University School of Medicine runs two summer remedial courses via Distance Education on the internet. The courses are Pathology and Pharmacology. Here is the website: AAMC: Summers (http://services.aamc.org/smc/)
I think this attitude is going to change fast. The aspect is going to be whether IUHS provides the quality Basic Science education one requires to pass USMLE Step 1 and 2CK and 2CSA.
Cheers, A_G

sheikh1
05-01-2007, 07:25 AM
Okay Biochemistry you can do through distance learning, how about anatomy lab......

maximillian genossa
05-01-2007, 07:57 AM
..."The aspect is going to be whether IUHS provides the quality Basic Science education one requires to pass USMLE Step 1 and 2CK and 2CSA."

Because there are people passing the aforementioned steps reason why they got residency spots.

Actually, Drexel University College of Medicine runs a Summer Biochemistry Course by Distance Education over the internet and it is posted on the AAMC website. It is a remedial course that must be approved by your current US or Canadian medical school but most schools still do approve. Also West Virginia University School of Medicine runs two summer remedial courses via Distance Education on the internet. The courses are Pathology and Pharmacology. Here is the website: AAMC: Summers (http://services.aamc.org/smc/)
I think this attitude is going to change fast. The aspect is going to be whether IUHS provides the quality Basic Science education one requires to pass USMLE Step 1 and 2CK and 2CSA.
Cheers, A_G

zarkosy
04-11-2008, 10:21 PM
OMG so much IUHS bashing everywhere!! Where are the IUHS grads, why not defend their school? Oh well, perhaps they are too busy studying for their exams or boards or with clinicals and residencies....like this one: SIU carbondale FP residents...u shall see IUHS grad who is licensed already in IL.

I think whoever is posting here is totally talking outa their .... without a single shred of evidence. If you look at the state laws, only CA and IN (some rely on CA list) have in their law that no online medical education is accepted. Rest dont have that and many, not just some (there are 50 states in the US remember), will license IUHS or OUM grads. No state boards will tell you for sure if they will license anyone until you apply...this is a fact.

Did you know that in CA online law degree is ok by the law!! Well, why not, they are the ones who write these ridiculous laws and the mindless doctors like the ones on these forums happily go along with it and fight among themselves.

Yes, while the doctors keep on fighting among themselves like on this forum, the lawyers just keep on laughing all the way to the bank by suing the doctors like the ones fighting on this forum. Message here: no unity among medical professionals.

maximillian genossa
04-12-2008, 08:40 PM
"the lawyers just keep on laughing all the way to the bank by suing the doctors like the ones fighting on this forum."

You bet they are! ;)

OMG so much IUHS bashing everywhere!! Where are the IUHS grads, why not defend their school? Oh well, perhaps they are too busy studying for their exams or boards or with clinicals and residencies....like this one: SIU carbondale FP residents...u shall see IUHS grad who is licensed already in IL.

I think whoever is posting here is totally talking outa their rear e.. without a single shred of evidence. If you look at the state laws, only CA and IN (some rely on CA list) have in their law that no online medical education is accepted. Rest dont have that and many, not just some (there are 50 states in the US remember), will license IUHS or OUM grads. No state boards will tell you for sure if they will license anyone until you apply...this is a fact.

Did you know that in CA online law degree is ok by the law!! Well, why not, they are the ones who write these ridiculous laws and the mindless doctors like the ones on these forums happily go along with it and fight among themselves.

Yes, while the doctors keep on fighting among themselves like on this forum, the lawyers just keep on laughing all the way to the bank by suing the doctors like the ones fighting on this forum. Message here: no unity among medical professionals.

zarkosy
04-20-2008, 07:16 PM
I'm not going to post the same things but I thought this thread and the other thread are closely related. So anyone interested should check out the following thread also to get a fair perspective rather than relying only on disgruntled or bitter students of the different Carib med schools. At the end of the day, apart from the so called top 4, a Carib med school is a Carib med school. You will be licensed in one state or the others. See this thread:
http://www.valuemd.com/international-university-health-sciences-iuhs/154733-university-future-professional-students-2.html

cdm1106
04-21-2008, 03:25 PM
I am a current student at IUHS, I am using the televideo conferance option. I am a nurse practitioner in an ER, have 17 years of healthcare experience and found IUHS to be a good option for me. I can tell you It IS NOT, a school to Buy a Degree, My first courses included Immunobiology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry, Anatomy, and can tell you they are quite challenging. I have a mentor in the ER who is a US Graduate and has been impressed with the curriculum thus far. There are only a handfull of state (5 I believe) that do not accept IUHS degree, but each of those state medical boards can be petitioned for licensure. I know the carribian schools have a bad rap, I was hesistant at first, but have thus far found it to be challenging. I do agree with the concerns about gross anatomy classes, I am required to spend two months at the campus at which time we will be working with cadaveors, I am also going to attend autopsy's and use local colleges cadaveors to enhance the experience. I have talked with graduates from IUHS in residency in the US and those who are working as MD's. So IUHS is a viable option, there are few restrictive states, but they do exsist. AS far a clinical experience goes, I will be in chicago, a well established site for clinicals

cdm1106
04-21-2008, 04:06 PM
here's a lind to IUHS grad who is in 3rd year residency

siumed.edu/cfpc/resident

CARICOM-MED
05-10-2008, 12:17 PM
I never understood why students from one school, come down on students in another school.....same issue was in my undergraduate university and later even during my master year........Medical school is for reasonable, smart, educated, open minded, mature individuals.....
Each medical school is unique in its own ways....As long as it prepares the graduate MDs for residency and to pass the boards, as I see it, Job well done !!

AUCMD2006
05-10-2008, 02:08 PM
beating a dead horse-just wann say good luck to those of you doing the distance learning on actually getting a full unrestriced license when you are likely limiting your work area by 48 states or so and those that have the loophole in there may not be around for long. i did the residency permit last year..big deal two forms. i just started the full licensure process for a state and the things they check and the things they request, the things they look for i just goltta say good luck is all i can muster up.

and why come on here and "put down another school" its not putting down its educating and letting new students know that as of today going anywhere but traditional med schools will severely cripple their future employabiolity, marketability, ability to work where they want, and possibly outright prevent them from ever working as a doctor..call it "putting down" if you wish but it really isn't.

for the ER NP-i think distance learning is the wave of the future but the way its set up through that school is entertaining,...you have your buddy as a mentor, how do you take exams? who grades them? in the end it doesn't matter because we all take the usmle exams..who knows it may work out for you just be real weary of applying for a license because all these burocrats will tell you that its case by case, you can petition to have your case looked at and whatever they want but you will be denied in the majority of states you apply for a full unrestriced license(not resident permit) and once you are denied by one state you have to list that on each and every application you file

so best advice is to look for one of the 2 or 3 states that has a fully licensed doc from this place and pray the board doesn't look into it or some "consumer" because that is what we call patients now, doesn't file a complaint saying that this doc went to an internet medical school offshore because that is all it will take. until distance learning is the standtrd and the norm in the states it makes no sense to gamble on it from an offshore school right now..brown, stanford etc can do whatever they please, they are inder the unbrella of the LCME..we are under a banana leaf with people just waiting to jump on our education the last thing caribbean "education" needs are "innovative" curricula with learn as you earn programs to further mock and dilute the perception of us

i know it sounds harsh but please download or request applications for full licensure from the states and see the stuff they actually ask for....not the politically correct response you get giving hope when there rarely some

good luck

CARICOM-MED
05-12-2008, 08:50 AM
I don't think any school was really fully internet based, most offer a hybrid of actual on campus classes, together with online PBL cases, and mandatory hospital attendance.
The ones that offered full or complete online, lost their WHO status, for example St. Lukes U.

iaustudent06
05-12-2008, 11:52 AM
AUCMD2006's post is correct. If you take the time and download application forms for various states, it is sometimes clearly written ANY OR ALL parts of the educations done online might require extra forms, explanations, or just plain will not be accepted. Sometimes it will just say only "traditional" classess will be accepted (classroom). All you have to do is google "(State) medical board" and click on their New Applicant Forms. Rules can always change, but it usually will not be in favor of something seen as a short-cut. Remember, licensing board are there to protect the public, not students. Can you actually post any state, hospital, or clinic website links with fully licensed graduates from an online school?

CARICOM-MED
05-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Well, at UHSA, we had our classes on campus, but while doing rotations at ACGME hospitals, we had PBL cases online.
I think it was a great idea, as we often learned while doing rotations, and completed cases, that matched our rotation.
Overall the program was great, as I passed all steps on first attempt.
and obtained residency.

maximillian genossa
05-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Well, I can. I personally know one that got licensed in Illinois from IUHS,she did her basics online, another one in Georgia and one, this is peculiar, completed his basics at IUHS, online, transferred to St. Christopher College, (yes the same one with the charter issue in Senegal) completed residency, was chief resident and as recently as April 21 got licensed in Florida, yes Florida. So I would never venture to assume that because I do not know it happened that in fact it never happened.

AUCMD2006's post is correct. If you take the time and download application forms for various states, it is sometimes clearly written ANY OR ALL parts of the educations done online might require extra forms, explanations, or just plain will not be accepted. Sometimes it will just say only "traditional" classess will be accepted (classroom). All you have to do is google "(State) medical board" and click on their New Applicant Forms. Rules can always change, but it usually will not be in favor of something seen as a short-cut. Remember, licensing board are there to protect the public, not students. Can you actually post any state, hospital, or clinic website links with fully licensed graduates from an online school?

iaustudent06
05-13-2008, 08:21 PM
PBL during clinicals might be a better idea, our "cases studies" during basic science did not help me for Step one.

The above post is right, anything is possible, it's just the chances of it happening to consider.

zarkosy
05-14-2008, 04:32 PM
You are entitiled to your own narrow views and so called expert interpretations of state medical board laws. Yes, there are states that will not license graduates from IUHS or OUM like CA, IN, OR and those that rely on the CA approved list. This applies to all apart from the so called top 4 Carib schools.

There are more than 35 states that will license IUHS and OUM graduates. I know because I checked with all 50 state medical boards personally with very specific questions about online basic sciences.

Before posting, check with all 50 states rather than misleading people who read these forums. This mode of education is here to stay, like it or not. Eventually many US and other universities around the world will slowly be forced to look into this option due to budgetary constraints and staff shortages.

I love this line of yours:

"pray the board doesn't look into it or some "consumer" because that is what we call patients now, doesn't file a complaint saying that this doc went to an internet medical school offshore because that is all it will take."

:D:D :)Dude, this is America, just because someone complained that you went to a certain school does NOT and will NOT result in ANY action by any board or anyone else. If this was the case, someone who graduated from African school can complain about someone from Harvard because of jealousy and do you think the board will ban a Harvard grad. This just proves that you post here without any knowledge of any state or US laws and rights of every person in this country. The only time the board may take action is when there was serious error in judgement. Even if you get sued once, it doesnt mean your license will be taken away. There are rules and regulations in the USA that protect every individual, not just whoever sues someone. Please dont post ignorant statements, it just exposes you!:D

Professors these days would rather spend their time in research rather than teaching people like you and me in the class. The main reason most of them come to the classroom to teach is because it is in their contract, they are just forced to teach and very few are there out of passion for teaching. There are great many benefits for them in this type of education including cutting costs for the university and ultimately maybe to the student. Like it or not, it is here to stay.

Besides, US is not the only place in the world to live and practice medicine, plus the way it is looking today, it might lose whatever wealth its got left very fast. You may then see migration out of the US rather than to the US as it has often been happening in the past century. We are in 9 Trillion dollars debt!! I cannot even fathom a trillion dollars...just mind bogling amount of debt, which by the way people like you and I will be paying off in the future.

So those who are now paying huge amounts of tuition to SGU, etc...good luck in paying it off especially when you are bound to see increasing costs for everything else in the US while the insurance companies start paying doctors less and less. I wonder if medicine will even remain a financially viable education option in the distant future in the US especially when there are so many other ways to earn more than doctors with less debt and stress!

beating a dead horse-just wann say good luck to those of you doing the distance learning on actually getting a full unrestriced license when you are likely limiting your work area by 48 states or so and those that have the loophole in there may not be around for long. i did the residency permit last year..big deal two forms. i just started the full licensure process for a state and the things they check and the things they request, the things they look for i just goltta say good luck is all i can muster up.

and why come on here and "put down another school" its not putting down its educating and letting new students know that as of today going anywhere but traditional med schools will severely cripple their future employabiolity, marketability, ability to work where they want, and possibly outright prevent them from ever working as a doctor..call it "putting down" if you wish but it really isn't.

for the ER NP-i think distance learning is the wave of the future but the way its set up through that school is entertaining,...you have your buddy as a mentor, how do you take exams? who grades them? in the end it doesn't matter because we all take the usmle exams..who knows it may work out for you just be real weary of applying for a license because all these burocrats will tell you that its case by case, you can petition to have your case looked at and whatever they want but you will be denied in the majority of states you apply for a full unrestriced license(not resident permit) and once you are denied by one state you have to list that on each and every application you file

so best advice is to look for one of the 2 or 3 states that has a fully licensed doc from this place and pray the board doesn't look into it or some "consumer" because that is what we call patients now, doesn't file a complaint saying that this doc went to an internet medical school offshore because that is all it will take. until distance learning is the standtrd and the norm in the states it makes no sense to gamble on it from an offshore school right now..brown, stanford etc can do whatever they please, they are inder the unbrella of the LCME..we are under a banana leaf with people just waiting to jump on our education the last thing caribbean "education" needs are "innovative" curricula with learn as you earn programs to further mock and dilute the perception of us

i know it sounds harsh but please download or request applications for full licensure from the states and see the stuff they actually ask for....not the politically correct response you get giving hope when there rarely some

good luck

zarkosy
05-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Again, why do you post without looking and mislead people. If you search, like you mention in your post, you will find that there are people who are already practicing in many states and graduated from IUHS.

If you check the OUM website, you shall see that their first 2 graduates got into FP and IM residencies in FL and IL. You shall also see if you search that IUHS graduates are on the staff of residency programs. I personally found one in FP residency staff list. Do not mislead people with your own narrow views and interpretations without any hard research.

JMIND
05-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Well, I can. I personally know one that got licensed in Illinois from IUHS,she did her basics online, another one in Georgia and one, this is peculiar, completed his basics at IUHS, online, transferred to St. Christopher College, (yes the same one with the charter issue in Senegal) completed residency, was chief resident and as recently as April 21 got licensed in Florida, yes Florida. So I would never venture to assume that because I do not know it happened that in fact it never happened.

G Max,

Thank you for the information. Do you believe IUHS has substantially improved its overall program since you were there?

maximillian genossa
05-16-2008, 09:33 PM
I can't tell, you may ask zarkosky, he seems to be on the loop.

G Max,

Thank you for the information. Do you believe IUHS has substantially improved its overall program since you were there?

JMIND
05-16-2008, 09:53 PM
I can't tell, you may ask zarkosky, he seems to be on the loop.

I do enjoy your posts.

zarkosy
05-17-2008, 05:08 PM
JMIND, IUHS has had a difficult past but it is now a far better program with new staff and they are working very hard to prove that they are a good program. I cannot tell you about the content because I am not their student but, every student I talked to tell me that they feel well prepared for USMLE and life as a doctor because it teaches not only medicine but also self-directed learning, which is very important when you get out into the real world to practice medicine. They also told me that the staff really cares about their students and gives them full support and help any time.

Keep in mind that they have more on-campus students and only very few distance students. Their 2 campuses in India are bound to produce top graduates who will no doubt ace USMLE and the rest of the exams if they choose to pursue a US residency (unlikely because there is now so much economic prosperity in their own country that many are not migrating overseas). Usually Indian students tend to be very hard working, studious and thorough. This will boost the reputation of IUHS eventually, no doubt.

JMIND
05-17-2008, 05:32 PM
JMIND, IUHS has had a difficult past but it is now a far better program with new staff and they are working very hard to prove that they are a good program. I cannot tell you about the content because I am not their student but, every student I talked to tell me that they feel well prepared for USMLE and life as a doctor because it teaches not only medicine but also self-directed learning, which you is very important when you get out into the real world to practice medicine. They also told me that the staff really cares about their students and gives them full support and help any time.

Keep in mind that they have more on-campus students and only very few distance students. Their 2 campuses in India are bound to produce top graduates who will no doubt ace USMLE and the rest of the exams if they choose to pursue a US residency (unlikely because there is now so much economic prosperity in their own country that many are not migrating overseas). Usually Indian students tend to be very hard working, studious and thorough. This will boost the reputation of IUHS evetually, no doubt.

Thank you very much for the reply. I agree that the presence in India will only help their reputation.

iaustudent06
05-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Again, why do you post without looking and mislead people. If you search, like you mention in your post, you will find that there are people who are already practicing in many states and graduated from IUHS.

If you check the OUM website, you shall see that their first 2 graduates got into FP and IM residencies in FL and IL. You shall also see if you search that IUHS graduates are on the staff of residency programs. I personally found one in FP residency staff list. Do not mislead people with your own narrow views and interpretations without any hard research.

I did look, that's why I asked to put up links. I'm was not familiar with OUM, thanks for mentioning that source of information.

I'm sorry my narrow views after working at various hospitals in Texas, Illinois, and New York has never led me to meet a student, resident, or an attending from IUHS, but congrats to those who did make it.

sngb240
11-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Some of these posts are "years" old.
I heard it has really improved there.
Any comments?
Thanks.

Tipton
12-04-2011, 05:24 PM
What did you "hear" about supposed improvements?

NUHS-AUC
12-14-2011, 10:03 PM
How is the program structured ? how can you complete online courses, this is not acceptable by many states.

What did you "hear" about supposed improvements?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.