PDA

View Full Version : How many parents feel about mental illness

GFLIP
03-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Interesting article:
Many Parents Want Distance Between Own Kids and Those With Mental Illness
Newswise (http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/528071/)

Dru
04-02-2007, 03:48 AM
My 16 yr. old daughter has an astounding amount of friends with significant psych/social problems. We have them over all the time, and I guess in some respects, our home is a magnet for them. We've had many compliments that our household is so......"normal". I'm constantly amazed about how many problems kids have. They are heavily into substance abuse, they have crappy homes and parents, and now the latest craze is cutting themselves for the endorphine rush.

liqu0rleadstocha0s
04-21-2007, 11:17 PM
its all that rap music

teratos
04-22-2007, 06:23 AM
its all that rap music

It's violent video games with rap soundtracks.

I have a theory on why people are going crazy. Up until about 7,000 years ago, the typical human had a reasonably limited amount of stress and stimulation. Not that the stress they had wasn't significant (i.e. need to find food, don't let the bear eat me etc.). People would hunt for food, or go gather stuff, then everyone would sit around by the fire and chill out in an extended family/small community unit. Even 30 years ago, when I was a kid, we went to school, mom and dad were home in the evenings. We had maybe one activity like baseball or something that didn't take up too much time, and we were generally home with an intact family in the evenings hanging out "by the fire". Fast forward to today. Kids come from broken homes. They are involved in every activity under the sun...so much so that they don't have any down time. They go from school to karate, to baseball to gymnastics etc. Schools are piling on homework, which has never been shown to improve learning as far as I know.

Our values are declining. Marriage is seen as disposable, and kids are often put in the middle to use as pawns in the divorce proceedings. A good example is the Alec Baldwin thing that has been in the news this past week.

So that is my theory. Kids are overstimulated and if comes out as depression, cutting behaviors, anxiety etc. Even adults have a huge amount of anxiety. When I first went into practice, I was astounded by the number of people on medication for depression/anxiety. Many of them have been on the drugs for years. It is really sad.

stateofequilibrium
04-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Our whole civilization is what's creating these kids. First, we're staying up longer than how long our body is supposed to, being active much longer. Taking in several-fold more nutrients than we need. The mental stresses we're putting our kids under is incredible as well.

It's a lot of problems. One only has to look at Japan to see what happens to the children of a culture that puts a huge emphasis on pushing their children to insane limits.

teratos
04-22-2007, 05:11 PM
Our whole civilization is what's creating these kids. First, we're staying up longer than how long our body is supposed to, being active much longer. Taking in several-fold more nutrients than we need. The mental stresses we're putting our kids under is incredible as well.

It's a lot of problems. One only has to look at Japan to see what happens to the children of a culture that puts a huge emphasis on pushing their children to insane limits.

My weekends are very relaxing for the kids. We just got in from the stream where we spent the last 3 hours building a dam (again). We do discuss various trees and plants, and bird calls. They are getting pretty good at it. We do what they want to do most of the time, and the other part of the time we introduce them to things we think they may like. It's sad more parents don't spend more time with their kids. It is the highlight of my day. Of course, bedtime (theirs) is the next best thing, so myself and Mrs. Teratos can sit down with a glass of wine and watch a movie. G

bizwiz
07-26-2007, 04:45 AM
i have a niece who is autistic. The article made me think.

salam
03-10-2008, 03:13 AM
hi
Looking after your child’s health and well-being can be a very daunting task, especially with work and other household chores you have to attend to, fortunately here are some nutrition and health tips available to parent everywhere

Gossioii1
04-17-2009, 01:30 AM
Excellent tips .I really appreciate all these points, and I agree completely…

stevesingh1
08-29-2011, 02:24 PM
When child is newly born , then for the first 2 years every parent on earth gets pushed to the limit .

ganuu
11-22-2011, 10:56 PM
Many parents feel about mental illness about children future and health aspects so be a ready a best out com,es and adopt best ways and procedures in all states.

FluXaEOn
01-05-2012, 03:31 AM
Our values are declining. Marriage is seen as disposable, and kids are often put in the middle to use as pawns in the divorce proceedings. A good example is the Alec Baldwin thing that has been in the news this past week..

farnandis
05-11-2012, 04:59 AM
Nice Concept .

jurplesman
05-31-2013, 12:36 AM
So far the attention has been drawn to social environment as the cause of the epidemic of mood disorders in our society. Usually psychologists look for factors in the individual social history (psychoanalysis) or for attitudes and beliefs (cognitive behavior therapy).
What is generally overlooked is the nutritional aspects of mental illness. The feel-good neurotransmitters are produced from nutrients in the food we eat (tryptophan being the source of serotonin). However most people tend to forget that the conversion of one molecule into another molecule (tryptophan into serotonin) requires biological energy called adenosinetriphosphate (ATP). Without ATP we cannot produce the feel good neurotransmitters. The brain is completely dependent of glucose (source of ATP) for its biochemical machinery. If the brain is starved of glucose it will react by releasing stress hormones from the adrenal glands which function to replenish the brain with glucose from glucose sources in the body (glycogen). Most forms of "mental illness" is characterized by the presence of unwanted and uncontrolled stress hormones in the system. Thus when the brain suffers from inadequate supplies of glucose we will be suffering from mood disorders.
This happens when we suffer from insulin resistance as in diabetes, pre-diabetes and Syndrome X, or reactive hypoglycemia).
In fact hypoglycemia - not as yet recognized by the medical profession - is a major factor in mood disorders. This is one reason why the drug-oriented medical profession has such a poor record in treating "mental illness". For more information please google-search for:

Depression is a Nutritional Disorder by Jurriaan Plesman

Nada noor
09-02-2014, 06:48 AM
I've gotten some very good deals at "Home Goods". They don't have much for actual furniture, but certainly have a lot of every other home decor item you may want. They tend to display their items by style - so all the country, shabby chic, tropical, etc. will be grouped together.

adamcollin
11-30-2015, 12:04 AM
Interesting article:
Many Parents Want Distance Between Own Kids and Those With Mental Illness
Newswise (http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/528071/)

Nice article...mental illnesses have seriously become a taboo in our society.

davefranco
12-02-2015, 05:44 AM
Its because of busy life style and keeping distance from nature.

Reyman
07-01-2016, 06:45 AM
It is not same for all cases. I don't do such things.

Oliviageorge098
03-05-2019, 02:50 AM
thanks for the artcle

AlbaW
04-11-2019, 05:12 AM
I really liked your post. Thanks you.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.