PDA

View Full Version : Important! Please Read!!

FutureDoc2007
01-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Are there any "cons" to XUSOM? I am seriously thinking of applying to this school, however I heard that the school had government problems. Is it true that once you get accepted to the school you are basically stuck on the island cause ALL of the students are all considered illegal there? Can students come back to the states within breaks? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Jim

Dr.Azimi
01-01-2007, 07:07 PM
OK, Aruba has no goverment problems, i think what you are refering to is the permit which you need to get ASAP. the school will guide you with all this info, it will cost you around 2000 Florin (sorry for the Spelling) , then you can come back during breacks

any one else has any suggestions.

FutureDoc2007
01-01-2007, 08:33 PM
But I was told that there are students that have been there for almost a year and still do not have any permits. When you say permits, do you mean like student visa's? Can we get that from the states? That's crazy if it is true. What happens if the school doesnt give you the permit? Do you get arrested and held up in their immigration jail or what ever????

menorrhagia
01-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Are there any "cons" to XUSOM? I am seriously thinking of applying to this school, however I heard that the school had government problems. Is it true that once you get accepted to the school you are basically stuck on the island cause ALL of the students are all considered illegal there? Can students come back to the states within breaks? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Jim

Unfortunately the current Arubian government has its own pace of doing things; currently the Visa/Permits require alot of time to process. It is not a Xavier/Govn't only issue. It is in fact an island wide problem, ie. Hotel Industry, Valero Oil, etc.

However, once on the island your paper work will be submitted and you will be given a case number/letter indicating you are in the system. You are not considered illegal on the island while your file is processed. If you need to leave the island for a semester break or otherwise, and are not in possession of the student permit, you will need to obtain an Inflight Re-entry Letter for that purpose. Expect the permits to take up to 2 semesters to be processed.

Having said this, the school apparently now has a good working relationship with DIMAS and hopefully, as promised, they will be addressing the current backlog/delay for the upcoming semesters.

Lastly, refer to www.aruba.com. Visitors from Canada/USA are allowed up to 90 day stay per visit with only a valid passport. http://aruba.com/pages/entryrequirements.htm

ams
03-02-2007, 03:07 PM
yeah right, sure the school has a good relationship with DIMAS. There are many students here who have in fact stayed on the island for about a year now. You can still go home while your papers are being processed, just work the channels and let them know. My personal opinion is that when u get here, hire an immigration lawyer to expedite your proccess.

No you will not go to jail, no body is coming to look for you...no body cares. The only way ur gonna get caught up,,,is if you go home, and when u come back the immigration officer catches you. if you get caught, then u sit in the airport and deported back.

The aruban government is the problem, its not the school. One happy "flippin" island.

n3rd
03-02-2007, 08:46 PM
I'll tell Aaron to take a look at this.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.