PDA

View Full Version : Question about St. Christopher's

shusmita
11-21-2006, 01:29 PM
So I'm really confused...Does St. Christopher's in England no longer exist? I have a distant friend of mine who was supposedly doing the Premed stuff there and was then going to to MD stuff...haven't been able to speak with him, but I was going to apply there myslef, until I found out that something was going on with the school. And now the website doesn't even work. So I'm wondering what is going on? Can ppl still apply there?

- Shusmita.

azskeptic
11-21-2006, 02:04 PM
So I'm really confused...Does St. Christopher's in England no longer exist? I have a distant friend of mine who was supposedly doing the Premed stuff there and was then going to to MD stuff...haven't been able to speak with him, but I was going to apply there myslef, until I found out that something was going on with the school. And now the website doesn't even work. So I'm wondering what is going on? Can ppl still apply there?

- Shusmita.

well, there is alot of stuff online about the demise of st chris and the birth of st chris IDP

start with

BBC NEWS | UK | Some medical degrees 'worthless' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4410020.stm)

then await the people who will be trying to recruit you to the 'new' st. chris.

you might want to google about st. chris and also read everything you can on it such as:

St Christopher Iba Mar Diop College of Medicine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Christopher_Iba_Mar_Diop_College_of_Medicine)

shusmita
11-22-2006, 02:14 AM
well, there is alot of stuff online about the demise of st chris and the birth of st chris IDP

start with

BBC NEWS | UK | Some medical degrees 'worthless' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4410020.stm)

then await the people who will be trying to recruit you to the 'new' st. chris.

you might want to google about st. chris and also read everything you can on it such as:

St Christopher Iba Mar Diop College of Medicine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Christopher_Iba_Mar_Diop_College_of_Medicine)

Thank you so much for the reply! I'm a little confused about what I read though....basically, is it a waste of time to apply to St. Christopher Iba Mar Diop College of Medicine? Since my aim is to return back to the U.S./Canada to practice.

- Shusmita

azskeptic
11-22-2006, 02:18 AM
Thank you so much for the reply! I'm a little confused about what I read though....basically, is it a waste of time to apply to St. Christopher Iba Mar Diop College of Medicine? Since my aim is to return back to the U.S./Canada to practice.

- Shusmita Why would you choose a new school instead of one of the schools that has placed thousands of MDs back into the US, like RossSaba/Auc/SGU? Why would you take any risks with your $200,000 investment?

shusmita
11-22-2006, 01:04 PM
Why would you choose a new school instead of one of the schools that has placed thousands of MDs back into the US, like RossSaba/Auc/SGU? Why would you take any risks with your $200,000 investment?

Well firstly becuase it's in England. And I know a few people who have been to the school. I also know a lot of people who live near to where the school is.
Secondly, out of Ross, Saba, Auc, and SGU...I'm only applicable for SGU, since I have to do Premed first, and the other school don't offer a premed program. I could possibly finish off doing the premed requirements here in Canada, but it would take me another 2 to 2.5 years to do so, and I'm really not interested in that, especially since I'm already in my 3rd year of study.
So basically I want to know from anyone out there, especially form any of the students from this school if they are on here, if it is worth applying to St. Christopher Iba Mar Diop College of Medicine, especially if my aim is to return back to the States/Canada to practice medicine?

stevejohnson
11-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Well firstly becuase it's in England. And I know a few people who have been to the school. I also know a lot of people who live near to where the school is.
Secondly, out of Ross, Saba, Auc, and SGU...I'm only applicable for SGU, since I have to do Premed first, and the other school don't offer a premed program. I could possibly finish off doing the premed requirements here in Canada, but it would take me another 2 to 2.5 years to do so, and I'm really not interested in that, especially since I'm already in my 3rd year of study.
So basically I want to know from anyone out there, especially form any of the students from this school if they are on here, if it is worth applying to St. Christopher Iba Mar Diop College of Medicine, especially if my aim is to return back to the States/Canada to practice medicine?

Do all of your premed in your country. SGU has a UK program now.
SCIMD has a lot of problems, so don't waste your time with them.

SOAP
11-23-2006, 11:09 AM

There are so many states refusing SCIMD grads it's not funny anymore. In addition may of the grads are loosing licensure and not getting licensed because the Africans can't/wont complete their paper work. Read some of the emails I have received....;

Warming to all St. Chris grads (current Residents) and students, got this from several different sources by email in the past week.

Current Residents

I graduated from SCCM in 2003 and I am finishing up my Residency now. I will be applying for a license soon and need to get transcripts, etc for FCVS. When I called the Hicksville , LI office of SCIMD, I was told that when I graduated, SCCM was not Chartered & therefore not recognized, so they could not provide me or FCVS with any info. WHAT??!?! I sat for and passed USMLE Step I, Step II CS & CK, Step III & have been working w/a residency license for several years now. How can it be that my school was not Chartered when I graduated???? I called PL & he told me that is simply not true. If it were true, I would have never been able to sit for USMLE exams. The SCIMD office and FS has refused to provide me w/ any of my records.

I have 2 other friends in the same position, they were told the same exact thing. They are the reason I called the Hicksville office.

Then, there are the residents that are now faced with possibly not getting licensed because SCIMD has not filled out the proper paperwork in certain states to keep their degrees accepted in X state current.

I strongly suggest every single working resident that graduated from SCCM (any year) IMMEDIATELY contact FS & request your transcripts etc. if you ever want to get a license to practice medicine. Then contact FCVS and begin an application to secure your records. FCVS will have to contact FS directly to get official records but you should get a copy for yourself first.

Current Students

My cousin and her boyfriend are about to graduate from SCIMD. Both did all of their coursework under SCCM & the last few rotations under the SCIMD school. Both were told by FS today that since SCIMD is a new school, they have to pay for the rotations they did under SCCM in order for SCIMD to accept them. Sounds crazy right? No, you did not read that incorrectly. They are being asked to pay AGAIN (as they paid once for the rotations under the SCCM name). They were not asked to re-pay for basic sciences, just the rotations. It was supposed to be the same school, different name. Then it was supposed to be a transfer. Now, it seems to be something totally different.

I strongly suggest students get their transcript copies. Even start an FCVS file now or be sure if you transferred, your school can keep your transcripts official. Do you have faith in the current Admin. to be available in a few years when you graduate?Are you willing to take that chance?

Guess we all know why the third years student (now partner) JF is driving around in a new Mercedes. Wow, he fooled us all with that " I'm doning this for the students [email protected]%T"

http://www.valuemd.com/images/misc/progress.gif

dr trouble
11-23-2006, 12:19 PM
hey shusmita...a friendly word of advise for u

whoever ur friends are... they obviously didnt inform u as a friend should id never let my friends come to st chris.
im an ex-st chris student, now im Poland... Im British by nationality but im telling u it isnt worth it.

whats the point of studying in a school whose future is insecure.
but i have to say... our professors at st christophers were amazing. Dr J, Dr Sridharan and Dr gopal..... amazing.... they grounded my medical knowledge.. shame the administration screwed up(it was always an administrative problem)

most of my canadian and american friends - applied to the carribean - Ross, St georges and St matthews.

maybe it would be better if u considered those and not relied on ur "friends" at st chris.. afterall this is ur career on the line

kind regards

stevejohnson
11-24-2006, 06:31 AM

dr trouble
11-25-2006, 12:36 PM
******* ***** is a self absorbed egocentric maniac..

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND VOTED HIM AS PRESIDENT...

COME ON.. PPLM 1ST ERIC DUPPAYA - AND NOW HIM....

whats the matter with u all....:shock:

ps - isnt he meant to be getting sumplace with the lawsuit he created all the fuss about... or has he just took all the money like the other... money grabbing pompous **************

ahem ahem.

potential
11-25-2006, 02:30 PM
best wishes

SOAP
11-25-2006, 03:33 PM
I hope he would refund the money to the people who donated to his lawsuit if he won some money from it.

His case was dismissed and while he didn't win any money he didn't incure any legal expenses so he kept all the money donated to his legal fund. What a guy........

dr trouble
11-25-2006, 04:27 PM
I always new that guy was a creep... i mean some ppl have creep written all over them....

hence i didnt believe a word he sed ever..
he will get his just deserts:evil:

His case was dismissed and while he didn't win any money he didn't incure any legal expenses so he kept all the money donated to his legal fund. What a guy........

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.