PDA

View Full Version : Learning the language at Sackler

ssa915
10-14-2006, 12:12 PM
I'm thinking of applying to Sackler adn BGU, but I don't speak the language, and on the website, they say it's important to learn the language as the 3rd and 4th years will require you to interact with the patients... will it be dificult to succeed at this school without learning the language? Thanks.

alex_shimp
10-14-2006, 01:25 PM
I lived in Israel when I was younger, and Hebrew is not hard to pick up.. You may have to go outside of school of course and push yourself to interact more..

maji
10-14-2006, 06:19 PM
Im at sackler, and Ive talked to many many people who get through it fine without speaking more than 5 words. You will pick it up as you go along, and they have a class here at 3 levels, beginner, intermediate, and advanced.

The beginner class apparently is awful and may be seeing some revision due to class complaints. Im in the intermediate class, and find it very helpful.

Overall though, a lot of kids get through without knowing much at all, and you will succeed fine at sackler. Also, in daily life, almost everyone speaks english. I only use my hebrew when I have to.

marceverett
01-02-2007, 06:31 AM
Anyone who tells you that you don't need to learn some Hebrew just doesn't know any better. You can get through the first two years without knowing a single word but you will be very unhappy in the third year if you don't understand anything. Internal Medicine was a nightmare for me not knowing any Hebrew because all internists do is sit around and talk... surgery has been much better though.. you don't need to know it before you get here but you should put in more effort than I did to learn it in the first and second years when you have the time.

student-2
01-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Marc is absolutely right! Hebrew is very important!!! It may not be mandatory but you will be losing out if you don't learn the language! You don't need to know it perfectly but enough to catch what is going on around you and as a side bonus- patients definitely appreciate the attempt at learning their language.
It is definitely worth the attempt

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.