PDA

View Full Version : Is it important to drape the SP?

mbg
09-21-2006, 08:46 AM
It is important to drape the SP? How would we know that SP need to be drapped? And when should we drap? and the Procedures? Please Explain. Thank you.

AUCMD2006
09-21-2006, 10:54 AM
yes you drape all of them unless its a phone interview or they are just there for test results. get a system down and use it for every pt, a drape is on the stool when ytou walk in so what i did was just as you introduce yourself and drape them as you begin talking

shari
09-21-2006, 02:43 PM
the sp will have all their clothing on and you just have to drape over them..like in abdominal exam drape just lower extremities and upper chest?

AUCMD2006
09-21-2006, 05:46 PM
no they have a hospital gown no shoes/socks and just underwear and bras on the ladies. you don't do breast, genital, etc exams but if it is needed as part of the complaint you write it in. when listening to heart in women you ask them to move the bra around if needed you don't touch it..and yes the pt is draped at all times, you only uncover the part you are examining at that time and if possible only half the body..like when examining the legs, you only undrape one of them.

the usmle CD has sample encounters on it

mbg
09-28-2006, 08:33 AM
Great!!!!

Thanks very much

swimguy23
09-28-2006, 08:43 AM
no they have a hospital gown no shoes/socks and just underwear and bras on the ladies. you don't do breast, genital, etc exams but if it is needed as part of the complaint you write it in. when listening to heart in women you ask them to move the bra around if needed you don't touch it..and yes the pt is draped at all times, you only uncover the part you are examining at that time and if possible only half the body..like when examining the legs, you only undrape one of them.

the usmle CD has sample encounters on it

on a couple of my patients I HAD to listen though the gown bc either the movement would cause them pain or whatever.....so basically i just listened through the gown and then said something to the effect of "I want you to know that I am listening through the gown, which is not ideal, but is fine for now since it is not likely to be a cause of your reason for coming in. We will, however, have you dress in such a way next time to make sure that a thorough exam can be completed. Is this alright?"

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.