PDA

View Full Version : FMG Negativity

VTACH
09-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Whenever I read posts on these forums, or hear people talking about taking the Caribbean route for medical school, I get a bit agitated at what people say, and what they dont understand....Let me point out the single thing that annoys me the most.....

1) You'll just end up doing Internal Medicine
-Ok...Is that a bad thing? Most people who graduate from Brown University, Harvard Med, etc "just end up doing internal medicine" as well. If you don't beleive me, do an internet search and count their matches. I'll be the first one to admit that matching into super specialties like radiology, dermatology, opthamology, etc is an uphill battle for Caribbean grads, but I think being an internist beats out a lot of other career options out there, especially in this somewhat unstable economy..

2) Also, I'm not sure if people realize that Internal Medicine is the gateway to a host of other specialties you are free to pursue. In order to become or enter cardiology, oncology, nephrology, gastroenterology, sports medicine, rheumatology, hematology, and others, YOU HAVE TO DO a 3 year residency in Internal Medicine first. If you are a hard working internal medicine resident with good numbers, matching into any of these is realistically very possible.

Thanks

hws1325
09-21-2006, 12:07 AM
Let me be the first to say I have to agree with those views. Until I actually physically see statistical supported evidence that FMGs are in a plight other than that which american medical graduates see, I will refuse to agree with it.

Frankly, I've personally gotten the impression that those folks who do spend as much time as we've all seen on these forums bashing FMGs are really people who have nothing better to do and are in denial about factors such as the shortage of doctors and the fact that more residencies and positions than anyone could've ever imagined need to be opened up whether any soul interested in assisting patients likes it or not.

Also, I encourage folks to start looking into studies about what correlations do and don't exist between students who sit for STEP 1 from American Medical Schools and from schools in good standing abroad.

After having worked for an educational test preparation company that I will not name and the undisclosed studies that were conducted, there actually was preliminary surveys showing that in fact, among students sitting for the exam, in certain years, students from FMG schools had passed STEP 1 on the first attempt in higher numbers than students in American Medical schools. I do not mean to say that these results are conclusive or whether they are even representative, however, until those folks who feel that FMGs are slightly in such a disadvantage or that they will only do internal medicine have actual statistical evidence to present, then their claims do not seem substantiated.

In addition, I've even read surveys and polls conducted of patients across the nation that had mentioned that in fact, they much rather preferred doctors who had not attended medical schools in america. Why or what reasons they had for those choices I do not know.

Simply, there are still many factors that need to be investigated before any umbrella statements are made by folks who find inaqequcies or faulty foundations for FMGs.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.