PDA

View Full Version : Manipal - AUA Twinning Program

brownie989
09-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Hey, guys
I'm a senior in high school (in America) , and have begun my search for colleges. My parents want to send me to med school in India, and told me to research the Manipal - AUA twinning program. I looked on their site, and it was kind of unclear about many things, and I was hoping to clear some of that up with you guys. First off, could I take the twinning program right off the bat after high school? how does it work, do I go to Manipal for 4 years for pre-med, then get sent back to the Carrib. to finish med school? Would this be my best choice, or would i be better off just staying either in the Carrib. or Manipal?
I was a complete idiot my first three years of high school - I slacked off in my classes, and never did my homework (even though i thoroughly understood the material.) In my chem and bio clases i only got B's (92% in bio; 87% chem) and i got something like 97% in physics (physics comes easy to me) and i also got a 5 on my biology AP test. What would be my chances of getting into the twinning program? After completion of the program, would i be adequately prepared for the USMLE? how hard would it be to get residency here? on a side note, all my other grades are crap, on account of my laziness... but i am already trying harder in school, and I KNOW that I will do well in college, given taht I at least get in.. lol
I know it's alotta questions, but i've looked around again and again, i can't seem to find good answers to all my questions.
I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read, or better yet, answer these questions!

thank you,
mike

sreec
09-12-2006, 07:29 PM
If you want to do your Basic Sciences in India, you have to apply to their program rather to ours. Information can be found here Mahe Admission 2006 (http://admissions.manipal.edu/twinning_medi.htm).

I doubt that their twinning program will allow you to matriculate right after high school though. They have a separate program for that and it is very competetive.

If you really want to join our program, your best bet would be to apply to AUA. Then you do 16 months in the Caribbean, 4 months in Miami and the remaining 75 weeks in one or more of the clinical sites. You will definitely be accepted.

My recommendation, however, is go to go college, do well and go to med school in the US. Don't throw your life away - getting your MD a mere two or three years early is not worth the trouble of taking the Caribbean route.

DrChuck
09-13-2006, 02:45 PM
well said Sree.

jameslynton
09-15-2006, 07:26 PM
Hey, guys
I'm a senior in high school (in America) , and have begun my search for colleges. My parents want to send me to med school in India, and told me to research the Manipal - ....thank you,
mikeHey Mike - Going to school in India is ok. However, you have very good high grades. Save yourself several boat loads of trouble and go to a US college and US medical school. Even if you go to India - they do not teach to the USMLE exam and US medical school specs. So you would find getting back to the US very difficult.

The ortho surgeon who did my last knee operation - went to Duke undergrad - Duke medical school and did his pgy 1-5 at Duke in the ortho program (one of the best and most inventive in the US right now) and he is in a top practice in Atlanta. If you go to India or you go to the island schools - you will not get these kinds of job offers and places to do pgy 1-5 at a top competive residency in the US. It is a fact of life for the the FMG's - you don't get a plastic sugery residency in Beverly Hills you will most likely not wide up in Cardio vascular transplant surgery residency at Columbia in NY either. Most FMG's wide up in EM, Peds, IM or FP. A very small few get better gigs. Oh yea by the way - his parents just happened to have been from India. We can't use names on VMD but if you PM me I will send you his name and number - sure he would be glad to talk with you.

Sree gave you some darn good advice - do it in the US if you can. With your grades you will most likely land in a very good US State or private university. Work hard - get top grades - study for the MCAT - do your volunteer work and get in a good US Medical school. You will not regret it....

brownie989
09-19-2006, 02:08 PM
the thing is, i don't think i have a good chance of getting into school here in america.. i don't think my grades are good enough, because i slacked off in all of my classes.. that's why i was wondering if i should go to india or not, cuz i was a ******* for the past 3 years. I'm starting to slack off less and right now, my senior year, i'm getting straight a's, but it's a completely different story for my fresh-jun year. I just don't know what to do. any help would be appreciated!
And also, if i jutst take premed in manipal / AUA, what would be my chances of getting into med school in america, if i study and do really well on the MCATs?

Conway
09-19-2006, 04:44 PM
With grades like yours, and a little hard work in undergraduate, you have a great chance of getting into medical school in the United States, which would eliminate so much hassle down further in the road.

Apply to colleges in the US, or even try some 3+4 or 4+4 "guaranteed" programs, even DO programs with such agreements.

So, please consider applying to a US school, doing great in your pre-med classes there, then taking the next appropriate step depending on what grades you get. It will be worth the wait :)

nyteryda3
09-19-2006, 05:35 PM
All of you are telling him to apply to Universities in the states, but from what he has posted, he doesn't seem to have the grades to get into a University, which is why he is posting here. You have a few options Mike, and I don't recommend India. I have a very good friend who goes to Manipal right now and he is regretting it everyday. I don't think it is the school that he dislikes in particular, just the fact that he has to study in India. It seems like you are looking to bypass the U.S. undergrad route and head straight into a pre-med/medical program. AUA is one of a few schools in the Caribbean that does have a pre-med program for students coming out of high school. I would say go the Caribbean route rather than going to India, but that is just my personal opinion. Of course, before you make up your mind about coming here to the Caribbean to study, make sure there that you have tried everything you can to get into a University in the states. I would recommend going to a J.C. or Community College, then transfer to a University and try to get into Med School there.

Conway
09-19-2006, 05:44 PM
From what he said, with the upper 80s and 90s in the sciences, I don't see him having any problems getting into a quality undergraduate university in the U.S. or Canada. I had grades lower than that, and I got accepted to all the SUNYs I applied to.

Though the Caribbean is an attractive route, in my opinion, you are better off going to even an "average" undergraduate institution and getting good grades, then trying for either a US or Caribbean med school, rather than jumping straight into it.

I saw the same options when I was a senior in high school, but decided to go to a SUNY (NY state university sistem) and do my pre-med in the states. Yes, college is hard, and I didn't do good enough to get into a US school, with a GPA currently at 3.0 or so. But the plus side is that from studying nearly 4 years of biology and chemistry, I feel more prepared to go to medical school now than I did 4 years ago. Even though I am still going to the Caribbean (going to MUA Nevis in January), I am much more confident I will do well there as opposed to 4 years ago.

Feel free to PM or IM me to discuss this further :)

nyteryda3
09-19-2006, 05:49 PM
If you really want to join our program, your best bet would be to apply to AUA. Then you do 16 months in the Caribbean, 4 months in Miami and the remaining 75 weeks in one or more of the clinical sites. You will definitely be accepted.

AUA's medical program has 4 semesters in Antigua and then the 5th in Miami? This would not be an option for him at this time since he has not completed the necessary undergraduate coursework, correct?

sreec
09-19-2006, 06:35 PM
AUA's medical program has 4 semesters in Antigua and then the 5th in Miami? This would not be an option for him at this time since he has not completed the necessary undergraduate coursework, correct?

There's a four semester pre-med program.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.