PDA

View Full Version : Any British students heading to Medical University Gdansk?

thruperfection
09-09-2006, 06:41 AM
Hi,

I'm going to Gdansk this September, just wandering if there is any british students heading there as well?

Please contact me.

Thanks

Mr Cool
09-09-2006, 06:55 AM
Have you ever been to Gdansk?

I think a visit there will answer the question. Having seen the place I personally would opt out :D .

In terms of the medical school and education- NO IDEA. So my post here is probably uselss.

thruperfection
09-09-2006, 07:31 AM
Did u jusi go there on hols or did u go and see the meducal school.

And why did you see you opt out. Do you know anyone going there?..

Am just finding out as much information before i make up my mind.

Thank you

Chemist_11
09-09-2006, 08:31 AM
I'm going to Gdansk this September : just finding out as much information before i make up my mind :confused:.

Hi, May i ask what first attracted you to Gdansk? I was just going to suggest that a flight from the UK would most probably be quite inexpensive, why not head over to take a look?

Btw Mr Cool hows charles?

Mr Cool
09-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Did u jusi go there on hols or did u go and see the meducal school.

neither. It was on a coach journey through Europe. Great way to see EU by the way.

And why did you see you opt out. Do you know anyone going there?..

Am just finding out as much information before i make up my mind.

Thank you

I personally did not like the surroundings. Not that this has anything to do with studying medicine. I did'nt feel I would be happy there. Something very important I rate. But if others feel they are ok then I am sure it can get you do where you want to go.

Mr Cool
09-10-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm going to Gdansk this September : just finding out as much information before i make up my mind :confused:.

Hi, May i ask what first attracted you to Gdansk? I was just going to suggest that a flight from the UK would most probably be quite inexpensive, why not head over to take a look?

Btw Mr Cool hows charles?

Charles is fine. Its what you personally want to make of it. To be honest I don't think it really matters which schools you attend in EU. Poland, Hungary, CZ- all will get you to the same place. And all will require a similar commitment- that is to learn some of the native language and be prepared that things won't be perfect.

JayT
09-15-2006, 11:45 AM
Looks like I'll be heading to Gdansk next week. Haven't even seen the place yet but I'm hoping there's not much to do apart from study (that's why I didn't bother with Prague - too many distractions).

I don't speak a single word of Polish either....

:shock:

Anyway, I'm from London! See you there!

cron0s
09-15-2006, 12:56 PM
I am flying out to Gdansk from the UK to start the 6 year course next week. I posted some info about myself in another thread. See you guys out there.

thruperfection
09-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Can I ask why you guys are going there? I mean without seeing the place... its got to be hard to make a decision like that? Anything in particular that stands out?

JayT
09-15-2006, 05:38 PM
I hear there's a much higher pass rate from 1st to 2nd yr compared to Prague. Again, I put that down to there being less 'distractions'. I hear its 93% for Gdansk and a lot lower for Prague (I don't know the exact figure though).

The fact that the GMC recognises the course is obviously a major attraction seeing as I'm from the UK, and it also serves to alleviate any concerns i had about the quality of the course.

Aside from those issues, I personally don't think it makes a big difference which school you go to. You still have to put your own work in. As for the conditions, well nowhere is perfect. I'm there to study, not to go sightseeing or sit on the beach. (Especially not in Poland lol!)

diogenes
09-16-2006, 01:24 AM
...................The fact that the GMC recognises the course is obviously a major attraction seeing as I'm from the UK, and it also serves to alleviate any concerns i had about the quality of the course...........

I hope you realize that almost every medical course that is listed in the WHO Directory of Medical Schools is recognized by the GMC. Their general policy is that if it's listed there it will do for licensing purposes. Foreign medical schools do not go through any quality assurance program with the GMC.
Likewise, WHO does not investigate, quality control or approve: it lists the school if the territorial government says it is a medical school.
Having said that, Gdansk may well be an excellent school.

JayT
09-17-2006, 05:20 AM
Interesting point.

Well I sincerely hope the school is a good one - I have to say I am a little nervous about what to expect - I don't expect any handholding of the foreign students, though I do hope we are looked upon as more than just cash cows for the University.

The cynic in me hopes that the School does not deliberately fail some foreign students in order to procure an extra year's funding from them.

danmage1
09-20-2006, 05:01 AM
Well it looks like I will be having a few non-Swedish classmates after all...

I'm a student entering Gdansk this Sept. as well, I came here in August though, to get used to the city. I'm natively Polish though, so as you can expect it is a little easier to get comfortable in a new country if you know the language and customs. I am not living in the dorms though (I suggest you find a flat ASAP, as AMG's residences are plagued with theft and they are not very comfortable). As for the quality of medical education here, in my opinion it's quite good (my father graduated 25 years ago and is double cert. as family/aneth.). If you guys need any help around here, I will see you during orientation or PM me for my cell #.

Good Luck and Cheers,
Dan Teszka

JayT
09-20-2006, 08:19 AM
I was planning on bringing my laptop with me. Are you suggesting that I ought to hide it my room?

pisklaki
09-20-2006, 12:35 PM
yup, hide it if you can

JayT
09-26-2006, 08:33 AM
hey Dan, are you still checking these forums?

dr trouble
11-26-2006, 05:16 AM
:shock: errrr
this is really bad - but where is GDANSK?
and y gdansk? y not a bigger city...im british too... most of the brits stick to krakow or warsaw.nicer cities.. but please give any feedback, it would be nice to keep other prospective ppl informed.
thank u:)

dr trouble
11-26-2006, 05:18 AM
:shock: hide?
why are u ppl goin over there again.. if ur possessions are secure.

well anyhow. I pray that u stay safe. Good luck with school:)

yup, hide it if you can

dr trouble
11-26-2006, 05:22 AM
Dear collegue

i wish to clarify a particular misunderstanding

every school recognised by the WHO is NOT NECESSARILY RECOGNISED BY THE GMC!!!!

i.e st christophers school in london and senegal - recognised by WHO but NOT by GMC

mmm many of the medical universities in RUSSIA - recognised by WHO but NOT by GMC

the list continues and in-corporates a few of the carribean schools. so just because the website of the school says it has GMC approval - contact the GMC and ask anyway. after all it is ur future:)

thank u

I hope you realize that almost every medical course that is listed in the WHO Directory of Medical Schools is recognized by the GMC. Their general policy is that if it's listed there it will do for licensing purposes. Foreign medical schools do not go through any quality assurance program with the GMC.
Likewise, WHO does not investigate, quality control or approve: it lists the school if the territorial government says it is a medical school.
Having said that, Gdansk may well be an excellent school.

riverhead
11-26-2006, 06:03 AM
All medical universities in Poland are recognised by GMC.

diogenes
11-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Dear collegue

i wish to clarify a particular misunderstanding

every school recognised by the WHO is NOT NECESSARILY RECOGNISED BY THE GMC!!!!

i.e st christophers school in london and senegal - recognised by WHO but NOT by GMC

mmm many of the medical universities in RUSSIA - recognised by WHO but NOT by GMC

the list continues and in-corporates a few of the carribean schools. so just because the website of the school says it has GMC approval - contact the GMC and ask anyway. after all it is ur future:)

thank u

Dear Dr Trouble,
There is no misunderstanding to clarify- except perhaps on your own part.
I wrote that "almost" every course in WHO is good for GMC/PLAB and of its "general" policy of following WHO (by the way thanks for instructing us all in the use of bold type and multiple exclamation marks; personally I prefer italics where appropriate).
IMED currently lists 2066 med. schools worldwide (I am assuming that the WHO directory is still closed for repairs). The GMC lists 2 schools which are WHO-listed but not approved. It lists a further 9 whose grads. will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. I'll leave you to work out the rather small percentages.
You go on to assert that "many" (was the triple 'm' a typo, or another emphatic style?) of the Russian schools are not approved. IMED lists 65 schools in that country: only 3 of which are in the GMC's "may" be approved category.
As well as reading the actual wording of my post more carefully you might well be advised to look at its context.
JayT seemed to think that recognition for licensure said something significant about the general quality of the school. By pointing out how few schools are not approved I hoped to remove that "particular misunderstanding". His reply indicates that he found it a useful point.
However, I would agree with you that prospective students should always check with the relevant licensing authorities before committing themselves.:)

dr trouble
11-27-2006, 08:13 AM
well no offence
but i rang them and i asked them about a few schools......

and the answer was either a disclaimer or not recognised

these things do take time to get updated on the website...ive had 1st hand experience of that...

diogenes
11-27-2006, 10:11 AM
No offence taken.
Nothing you have said gainsays my original comments to JayT about not using GMC approval as a measure of quality assurance or my assertion that there was no misunderstanding on my part.
I never doubted that there will be other unapproved schools apart from the 2 currently listed. That you phoned about a few schools and have added some to the unapproved list doesn't alter the fact that the vast majority are currently approved.
Incidentally, for anyone interested in gaining greater insight to the GMC's policy this link may help-GMC | Acceptable primary medical qualification (http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/join_the_register/registration/acceptable_primary_medical_qualification.asp)
Section 2 lists some of their criteria e.g. time spent in distance learning, anti-squatting stipulations etc.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.