PDA

View Full Version : Ethnic Minorities in Gdansk, Poland

thruperfection
09-07-2006, 07:15 AM
Hi,

I just wanted to find out if there were people from different minorites mainly Black people or Asians in Gdansk. Not really expecting much but some representation should be there!!

Please if anyone knows anything, please let me know as I am considering going to Gdansk.

Thanks

Savior
09-07-2006, 07:35 AM
Are you asking about the city Gdansk or the university? You will find minorities at university, mainly Indians/tamils, also some south asians and some african students.

Gdansk is a popular tourist attraction, and you will find people of different ethnicity both living and working there. I remember the last time I was there I stayed at youth hostel managed by a black lady from England..nice place little expensive...

thruperfection
09-07-2006, 07:41 AM
I was talking in particular about the university cos I am strongly considering attending there.

Do you know much about the university? Is it possible to have the name of the place you stayed?

Sorry for the questions just trying to get a general feel for the place.

Regards

Savior
09-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Well, I attend MUW myself, what I can tell you about Gdansk is that its a very nice city, lots of things to do, but I havent heard such positive things about the University, heard some shady things, specially the agents they deal with. If ur located in London you can visit Gdansk in round-way trip with Wizzair for like 90, it's worth it...maybe you can also visit other polish campuses while u are there. Your own impression is very important, and you get to talk with students.

I think the place I stayed at was called Patron Hostel..I dont have clue if that was the translated polish name or not.

Check out Hostels of Europe - Cheap Hostels in Europe (http://www.hostelseurope.com) for more info if ur planning on making trip to Gdansk.

MD04
09-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Hi,

I just wanted to find out if there were people from different minorites mainly Black people or Asians in Gdansk. Not really expecting much but some representation should be there!!

Please if anyone knows anything, please let me know as I am considering going to Gdansk.

Thanks

Do you really think you could get along well with asians and blacks not with europens. maybe///////

peace

thruperfection
09-08-2006, 02:34 AM
Hi MD04,

Don't get it twisted! I am of an ethnic origin and I'm just enquiring about Gdansk.

i can get along with anybody whether they are black blue or gry! But I would not like to be the only one of ethnic origin!!!

sedeki
07-24-2008, 07:19 AM
Hi MD04,

Don't get it twisted! I am of an ethnic origin and I'm just enquiring about Gdansk.

i can get along with anybody whether they are black blue or gry! But I would not like to be the only one of ethnic origin!!!
I'm attending Gdansk this October and have visited Gdansk.

It's not that many ethnic minorities in Gdansk. I have read somewhere that 97% (or some other very high percentage) of the Polish consider themselves to be ethnically Polish. This should very much be reflected in Gdansk aswell, but at the University there are (at least in the English division) many (if not most? not sure though) of ethnic origin.

Cave
07-25-2008, 03:11 PM
I did the entrance exams in Stockholm june 6 and from what i saw most of the swedes (including me) had another ethnical background. There will be a lot of people with different ethnicity at the university so don't worry about that.

I have talked with some of the people that got accepted and amongst them there were Persians, Arabs, Kurds, Swedes, some with Polish bakground.

Santhosh Varma
05-15-2009, 06:20 PM
but is there any race biases

Gerbera
09-13-2010, 10:19 AM
There are students of various races attending the univeristy...in fact, it's probably the most ethnically diverse location in all of Gdańsk. The rest of the city is very homogeneous and it is likely that you may experience some different treatment. That may be staring from young children or worse. That being said, the better you learn the language, regardless of your skin color, the easier your life will be here.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.