PDA

View Full Version : green card holder...what to do next?

sowr520
09-05-2006, 05:34 PM
HI everyone! I got accepted into the January term at AUA. I am currently a green card holder...n i just applied for citizenship in USA. I dont think i would be guaranteed this citizenship before my January term at AUA. I was wondering what i should do? Any suggestions?

skull
09-05-2006, 05:46 PM
You can always ask the immigration to postpone your citizenship appointment until the end of the semester. Do an InfoPass and double check.

Good luck!

sreec
09-05-2006, 08:19 PM
I actually went through the exact same situation, believe it or not. There's three appointments that you need to be in the US for - fingerprinting, the interview/test, and the oath.

When you get your appointment letter for one of those events, you can either fly back to the US and attend the appointment or send a letter requesting a postponement. I had the NY office send me a letter certifying me as a full time student and the Citizenship Service accepted that.

I postpostponed my fingerprinting appointment twice - both during my first semester at AUA and it caused a delay in my citizenship (by 4 months) but other than that, it was no big deal. There was a 3 month gap between my first and second appointments and a 5 month gap between my second and third.

The important thing to remember is that you cannot stay outside the US for more than 6 months while you are an AUA student. For example, if you decide to stay in Antigua during the break between semesters and end up being on the island for 8 continuous months, then you will have problems during the citizenship interview.

sowr520
09-05-2006, 08:42 PM
wow!! thanks soo much guys for replying! this really hepled a lot!! :D it cleared up a lotta doubts on mind!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.