PDA

View Full Version : groceries

med2006
08-24-2006, 09:24 PM
a friend of mine at SGU told me that prices for fruits and vegetables are much higher in Grenada than they are in North America. is the same true in antigua too?
also, he told me that milk isn't easily available from the grocery stores there. is this situation the same in antigua?

alifk007
08-24-2006, 10:42 PM
Yeah, most likely. I am also not sure about Meat products.. Someone told me chickens are bad at Ross. I am thinking of being vegetarian for next 14 months... lol

GirlyGirl
08-28-2006, 12:01 AM
Yes, prices are a lot higher in Antigua, about two to three times the prices in the states
Milk is readily available here as are most other drinks that you find in the states.

In terms of the living standards, Antigua surpasses Dominica. Antigua is more modern than Dominica.

Jax
08-28-2006, 10:57 PM
I've been living here in Antigua for about a month now and I've found that prices go both ways. A gallon of milk will run about $16EC or $6, and OJ about $13/5. But on the other hand, chicken is as low as $1.95EC/0.75 per pound and you can find really good french wine for $20/8 a bottle.

I've asked around, students, tourists and locals, and they all say that Antigua is the best of the Caribbean islands to go to school and live in. Granada's school suffered a lot of damage in the hurricanes the past two years and the island itself is having a hard time recouperating from it. Ross U is a good school, but the island has a higher crime rate and is less urbanized as Antigua.

Basically, if you can learn to live without excess and 3am fast food cravings, you'll be fine.

You'll get mixed reviews from different people, but I love this island.

MDXRS22
08-29-2006, 09:32 AM
Well said!

Some folks will need to drop some habits, such as driving to Popeye at 2 AM, which I used to do as well:)

aechev
08-31-2006, 02:53 PM
Food on the island is more expensive than it is in the US. Shopping at the local produce market can save you some money. They have everything you could imagine!

Lord.Antigua
09-08-2006, 12:39 AM
I think that chicken necks cost more than chicken thighs. And a bottle of soft drink costs more than a btl of wine.

the cheapest meat is the chicken back, i think.

MDXRS22
09-08-2006, 06:36 AM
The back is my favorite part= $2.35 a pack of three backs:)

Enjoy the hot sauce!:):)

ATG
01-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Food on the island is more expensive than it is in the US. Shopping at the local produce market can save you some money. They have everything you could imagine!

Thanks for the suggestion...:D

Now that I am on the island, would you please explain exactly where the "local produce market" is located?

HomeGirl
01-17-2007, 09:37 AM
The "local produce market" locally called "The Market" is located on Market Street (of course) at the West Bus Station.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.