PDA

View Full Version : Partners and /or spouses

Lmaro0
04-18-2003, 12:08 PM
I have read on the forum that some have partners/spouses with them. If they are not going to school, what kinds of jobs do they have if any? My fiancee is a Respiratory Therapist and the availability of a job position for him is a big factor in deciding where I will attend. If anyone can give me any input on the status of the hospitals on the island or offer any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!!!

dc79md
04-18-2003, 01:32 PM
Lmaro0, check out this site. http://www.sintmaartenmedicalcenter.com/

Also, I was imformed that finding a job is very difficult but not impossible. There is some rule/law that prohibits foreign employement unless you have secured a job prior to arrival. please, check this for accuracy. :? You may also need a "Good Citizenship" report from your local Police Dept. Hope this helps. Dan

anencephalic
04-18-2003, 02:55 PM
Lmaro0,
According to the MEIO, St. Maarten won't allow your spouse to work without a work visa, which takes at least a year to obtain. In light of this and due to the fact that most students will be in SXM for only two years, the MEIO recommended against working. I know of several student's spouses that have been employed "under the table", however the government has taken recent steps to do away with this type of practice. I'll be attending AUC in September, and my wife (who is a medical technologist) was inquiring about the possibility of securing work at the local hospital (see Dan Chan's post above). It looks as though with the work visa restrictions, she may be working for the school in some clerical capacity! :D
If anyone has additional information, or if my information is incorrect, please advise me!

Aloha,

Lmaro0
04-18-2003, 03:38 PM
Thank you for your input-the website for the hospital did not have any job postings but that is ok-I will just keep checking. The only other thing that I can think of to check on is through traveling companies, however from what I know about those the positions are only usually for 13 weeks at a time and with only 1 hospital chances are slim. I can't really see him in a secretarial position but he can keep himself busy :lol:

Thanks again!
Lindsy

anencephalic
04-18-2003, 04:06 PM
Hi Lindsy,
My wife also tried to get a position at SMMC as a Med Tech, however the person she spoke to said that the only way she'd be able to secure employment would be through some sort of "sponsor" :?: . As such, if she can't find a job, she'll have to find other ways to occupy her time. AUC seems to have a wonderfully supportive spouse's club :-rainbow ; you can check out the threads posted in the "Spouses & Partners (http://www.valuemd.com/viewforum.php?f=53)" section of valuemd or some of the threads in the AUC forum. Best of luck!
Aloha,

tRmedic21
04-18-2003, 04:07 PM
Usually, the cost and paperwork of obtaining a work permit is prohibitory to most normal employment. However, if your spouse/partner has specialized medical training that will enable them to fill a position besides the normal waitressing, clerical or office work-type jobs, the medical center may well be interested in applying for your work permit. Obviously, they could use their connections to help bypass the usual red tape and get things expedited. It is definately worth looking into, in my opinion, and the above-mentioned website will probably provide you with the e-mail links necessary to get the ball rolling.

I would highly suggest e-mailing them and see what you can find out before giving up on the idea. Healthcare workers are in short suply on any Caribbean island, and if they can possibly find a way to get you here, I would think they would do so.

Good luck, and let us know what you can find out!

julestx
04-18-2003, 07:22 PM
Hello!

I do know of several offers made to spouses for positions in clinics and in the hospital (RN positions, specifically). I have also heard that they will rush through a work visa for you if they need you. Otherwise, you can fill a position at the school that isnt too terribly stressful. The pay may not be what you're used to, but your entire lifestyle will be changed for the 20 months that you're down here. You pretty much have to set a mind-frame of R&R, lower-income, slow-paced activity for the time you're here. One spouse I know of is working online, another takes college courses online, many work at the school. Many also work in the local bars/restaurants and are making alot of friends and keeping themselves busy. We get together often to just keep each other company, go swimming, go to the beach, watch movies, etc. The times FLIES by, thats for sure. And you do alot of supportive work while your partner is studying. Bring down your laptop, some good books you've never read, and some of your favorite CD's and a player...these come in handy. If work is what you want to do for certain, you WILL find a job that you're satisfied with for the short time you're here. The first semester will go by so fast, while you're settling in and getting to know your way around. If there is anything I can do for you, please email me and let me know. If the medical center website isnt helping, you might consider just going into the clinics and hospitals when you get here. Sometimes this is best. Good luck. :)

Lmaro0
04-18-2003, 08:17 PM
Thank you to everyonewho gave their input! We haven't made a decision yet on where we want to be, but there is so much helpful info on the AUC forum. I will be finishing my degree in august and I was planning on applying this summer for schools (I graduated a year early so I decided to take a year off :) and I had not even considered schools outside of the US. However, I happened upon the AUC website and I am very interested in it. This forum has really been great and I am seriously considering applying to AUC because I think that it would be a wonderful experience! I am going to research healthcare jobs for my partner a bit more and thanks again for your input.

Lmaro0
04-18-2003, 09:35 PM
I was glancing through the SGU forum and I must say that their forum is definitely not very approachable and some of the comments were not very nice. I would just like to commend the people that respond on this forum because it has given me a very good impression of the people at ACU.

anencephalic
04-19-2003, 05:16 PM
Lindsy,
When my wife & I were debating going to St. Maarten for med school, we scoured the web for any resources on AUC whatsoever. I must say that this forum and the individuals on it influenced our decision greatly...It is so relieving to see a sense of "community" with so many willing to help others who may be potentially attending AUC. I know it has helped tremendously with alot of our anxieties about the move to the caribbean. Once we get there, my wife and I intend to try and be as much help to others as the individuals on the AUC forum have helped us! :D Interestingly enough, I have a very good feeling that this cooperative environment is shared by a number of students, rather than the usual "cut-throat competition" that's prevalent elsewhere. I for one am glad to be pursuing my medical education in such an environment. :-happy My $0.02!
Aloha,

Jeffk13057
05-14-2003, 08:55 AM
I gotta say, as someone who just began considering medical school in the first place, and as someone with a wife and 2 little kids, I am very intrigued and impressed with the comradarie and selflessness all of you guys from AUC have demonstrated in this forum.

Now, if I could only get in... :roll:

wifeofDr2b
05-14-2003, 11:45 AM
I would also like to add that my hubby and I are also impressed by the positive attitudes of the AUC students on this site and their willingness to help! We are very impressed by AUC, but the kindness of the students portrayed in this site alone really makes AUC stand out far ahead of the other schools. We hope we get that acceptance letter!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.