PDA

View Full Version : Why b bloquers?

IMG SURVIVOR
08-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Why b-bloquers are contraindicated in patients with diabetes?

md90
08-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Why b-bloquers are contraindicated in patients with diabetes?

Beta-Blockers may mask the signs of hypoglycemia..

answer
08-23-2006, 07:38 PM
I dont know how they do that?????/

thanks

md90
08-23-2006, 10:11 PM
I dont know how they do that?????/

thanks

What does a beta blocker do? It lowers blood pressure and heart rate;
What happens when you have hypoglycemia? sweating, palpitations, anxiety, and tremor... these will increase the heart rate; BUT if you are on a beta-blocker, the heart rate will not increase, and the symptoms will considered for something else... it's important to monitor blood glucose levels...;

Hope that this helps... please add, comment, or correct... thank you :p

IMG SURVIVOR
08-23-2006, 10:59 PM
Also remember that b-bloquers block the sympathetic responses to the hypoglycemia that will be what md90 have just explained.

maixungphong
08-23-2006, 11:02 PM
I don't think beta blocker is contraindicated in diabetes. I think we just need to use it carefully. It is a good drug.

IMG SURVIVOR
08-23-2006, 11:17 PM
Dear friend base on my knoledge and what we have said here is contraindicated why, lets say:

Im taking beta bloquer and my glucose level is in 50mg/dl that is VERY LOW the way my body says to me hey dude we have a problem is by the sympathetic system, and all the thing md90 explain previouly.

So you actually may die because you are not aware of your low glucose

md90
08-23-2006, 11:23 PM
I understand what you are saying...maixungphong.. and that is why it's so important to understand the mechanisms, side effects,... of the drugs that we prescribe to our patients...

IMG SURVIVOR
08-23-2006, 11:30 PM
Interesting followup question

For what condition that physicians from south america was giving beta bloquers, and beta bloquers were contraindicated because by logic was going to make things worst, but the CDC find out that in that place the SURVIVAL RATE AND THE MORBILITY was decrease.

What is the name of this disease?

ZWobble
08-23-2006, 11:51 PM
heart failure?

md90
08-23-2006, 11:52 PM
Interesting followup question

For what condition that physicians from south america was giving beta bloquers, and beta bloquers were contraindicated because by logic was going to make things worst, but the CDC find out that in that place the SURVIVAL RATE AND THE MORBILITY was decrease.

What is the name of this disease?

Ok..:rolleyes: am thinking about this question..and thinking over and over.. and the only thing that I can come up with... it helps with heart failure or heart disease; But would this not increase the survival rate.....???

IMG SURVIVOR
08-23-2006, 11:55 PM
ZWobble (http://www.valuemd.com/../members/zwobble.html) You are 100% CORRECT

ZWobble
08-23-2006, 11:58 PM
I read that somewhere I cant remember where now though....

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.