PDA

View Full Version : New Travel Restrictions From AA website

jameslynton
08-10-2006, 04:44 PM
Due to additional carry-on baggage procedures issued by federal authorities, some airports may be experiencing heavy congestion. Please allow plenty of time for security screening.

Effective immediately, no liquids or gels of any kind will be permitted at the security checkpoints or in carry-on baggage. This includes all beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, tooth paste, hair gel, perfumes and other items of similar consistency. This policy also includes liquid and gel products purchased as duty free. All liquid and gel items must be placed in checked baggage only.

Exception: Baby formula, breast milk, or juice if a baby or small child is traveling; prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger's ticket; and insulin and essential other non-prescription medicines.

Due to these changes, American Airlines and American Eagle will waive excess baggage charges for those passengers who need to check their carry-on bags due to these new restrictions, up to a maximum of two excess pieces.

Also per Delta's website expect 3 hours delays so get there early.

Sorry folks

jameslynton
08-10-2006, 04:46 PM
New Security Measures

In order to address the higher risk, the Department of Homeland Security has implemented the following new security measures until further notice.
No liquids or gels are permitted to enter the sterile area through the screening checkpoint or be in accessible property or on oneís person except:

Baby formula, breast milk, or juice if a baby or small child is traveling
Prescription medicine with a name that matches the passengerís ticket
Insulin and essential other non-prescription medicinesExamples of liquids and gels included in these security measures include:

Beverages
Shampoo
Suntan Lotion
Creams
Toothpaste
Hair Gel
Other items of similar consistencyYou will not be allowed to bring any liquids or gels purchased after passing through the security checkpoint onboard the aircraft. Any beverages or liquids you purchase in the airport (including fragrance items and toiletries) will have to be consumed or discarded before you board.
Also, all footwear is to be removed and x-ray screened, except for footwear of persons with disabilities and elderly passengers who cannot remove their footwear.
Other Travel Tips

Here are some more suggestions to help minimize your inconvenience:
Travel lightóminimal clutter will expedite the screening process.
Arrive three hours early, and expect delays within the airport. Security screening lines will be longer than usual and additional screening is being conducted at the gate.

MYMD
08-10-2006, 05:21 PM
New Security Measures

In order to address the higher risk, the Department of Homeland Security has implemented the following new security measures until further notice.
No liquids or gels are permitted to enter the sterile area through the screening checkpoint or be in accessible property or on oneís person except:
Baby formula, breast milk, or juice if a baby or small child is traveling
Prescription medicine with a name that matches the passengerís ticket
Insulin and essential other non-prescription medicinesExamples of liquids and gels included in these security measures include:
Beverages
Shampoo
Suntan Lotion
Creams
Toothpaste
Hair Gel
Other items of similar consistencyYou will not be allowed to bring any liquids or gels purchased after passing through the security checkpoint onboard the aircraft. Any beverages or liquids you purchase in the airport (including fragrance items and toiletries) will have to be consumed or discarded before you board.
Also, all footwear is to be removed and x-ray screened, except for footwear of persons with disabilities and elderly passengers who cannot remove their footwear.
Other Travel Tips

Here are some more suggestions to help minimize your inconvenience:
Travel lightóminimal clutter will expedite the screening process.
Arrive three hours early, and expect delays within the airport. Security screening lines will be longer than usual and additional screening is being conducted at the gate.

This is the most unintelligent security measure yet! Boy I can wait to get back now! :rolleyes:

atlanticvioxx
08-10-2006, 05:27 PM
I would be more upset at the airport wait.More hours, more $$$$$ for a sandwhich and a drink. etc.

jameslynton
08-10-2006, 05:33 PM
This is the most unintelligent security measure yet! Boy I can wait to get back now! :rolleyes:Yo - 10/4 - totally agree. Was just talking with some milatary types - this stuff has been known for years. As I don't want to be banned from VMD for speading information about how to do it. Any chemistry student who had their ears open in organic and qualitative chemistry can figure out how to make things like these.

LOL - I had to tell the TSA people at Akron what they were testing for when they first started up.

jameslynton
08-10-2006, 05:36 PM
I would be more upset at the airport wait. More hours, more $$$$$ for a sandwich and a drink. etc.Bring a beefy book to read and make sure you finish your food before you get to the actually line to enter. That sandwich could be laced with foo-foo dust and loser lugies maybe fly around....are your paper's in order.

mardi_gras
08-10-2006, 08:09 PM
This is the most unintelligent security measure yet! Boy I can wait to get back now! :rolleyes:

Why are you saying it's the most unintelligent security measure??? These changes weren't made just for the heck of it; it's not the TSA's fault. If these stupid terrorists would quit trying to blow things up and kill Americans, we wouldn't get stuck with all of these security measures. Your family/friends could go to the gates to wait with or for you, and you got through security in 2 minutes, without taking your shoes off, until almost 5 years ago when a few anti-Americans screwed everything up. Just think about how anti-American the Antiguans are. Really makes you feel comfortable now, doesn't it?

shan80
08-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Just think about how anti-American the Antiguans are. Really makes you feel comfortable now, doesn't it?

Are you saying the antiguans are anti-american. Why would they hate us:( . I am bit nervous now.

sreec
08-11-2006, 11:50 AM
I don't think they hate anyone. It's just that many of them are politically inclined and tend to be overly nationalistic at times. Even so, the overwhelming majority of people are too lazy to do anything about it.

Local merchants, like their counterparts in any other third world country, make tons of money by overcharging Americans for their goods and services. A cab ride from Sandpiper Hotel to school cost me 15 EC when I first got to Antigua in Jan 05. In Apr 06, when I left, the price went up to 30 EC. The price of pretty much everything at the local supermarket went up 20% since AUA students became their major customers.

jameslynton
08-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Well back to topic - I have heard that some Airlines coming back to the US are making people stow laptops and any electronics (MP3 players - ipods - key fobs) in checked luggage.

DrChuck
08-12-2006, 01:35 AM
Well back to topic - I have heard that some Airlines coming back to the US are making people stow laptops and any electronics (MP3 players - ipods - key fobs) in checked luggage.

PLEASE tell me your joking. It would be the end of my laptop for sure.

mardi_gras
08-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Nope, it's true. No cell phones. Nothing electronic, liquid, or gel. That means no toothpaste, shampoo, soap, cologne, water, soda, computers, ipods, pda's,.................................

MDXRS22
08-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Wow!!!!!

That's gonna be a real pain for all of us.

Plasma screens will never be the same after those meticulously unpaid screeners have gone through bags and cases. I feel sorry for all electronic gadgets.
The island retailers are gonna take the opportunity to make us their pets by charging us for even a smile. Lord have mercy on us!

Toothpaste too????

Where is this going???????????????????????

RAVINDERDHIMAN
08-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Calm down ppl all these security measures are temporary, they will only last for 1 week or so, hopefully by the time students like me who will be starting in september wont have to deal with all this stuff.

jameslynton
08-12-2006, 02:56 PM
PLEASE tell me your joking. It would be the end of my laptop for sure.Sorry Dr Chuck - Antigua will actually be following the more strict British guidelines (since they are techically still in or a part of the commonwealth) on return trips to GB and to the US.

As for these being temporary - yesterday I asked Delta and the TSA people as I flew from MCI(Kanasa City) to ATL(Atlanta). They said the new Standards would be there to stay. Just like since the shoe bomber - we still have to check the shoes.

I had no issues in MCI with the TSA doing extra searches on me. I also have for many years not done carry on other than my books and my laptop. I have always checked my main bag since 9/11. So I had no issues.

However - since I fly a lot - I have noted this - the TSA is not standardized in the US. I have had stuff fail that passed ATL get picked out at SFO.

DrChuck
08-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Sorry Dr Chuck - They said the new Standards would be there to stay. Just like since the shoe bomber - we still have to check the shoes.

I'm gonna stop washing my feet.

MDXRS22
08-12-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm gonna make sure you never sit in my row:)

What's that smell??? I feel sorry any one who gonna inspect your dirty toes. :)

mardi_gras
08-12-2006, 07:39 PM
Wow!!!!!

The island retailers are gonna take the opportunity to make us their pets by charging us for even a smile. Lord have mercy on us!

Toothpaste too????

You can pack toothpaste and other stuff in your checked baggage, just not in your carryons. But it does mean putting your computer, cell phone, and pda in your suitcase, which is going to cause problems for a lot of people. My laptop is more fragile than many others and the screen breaks without much pressure because it is so thin - I don't want to put this thing in my suitcase! They always do random checks on laptops to test them for chemicals, so I'm just wondering if they are going to start opening suitcases with computers in them to do the laptop screening. Then who knows what happens to your belongings.

This whole thing is a pain because we as students and future physicians carry a lot of electronics when we travel. There was a student on the news the other night who flew from Britain to the US the day this thing started, and she was told she had to put everything in her checked baggage except her passport and wallet. It is sad that things have gotten to this point!!! :cry:

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.