PDA

View Full Version : Usmle Question @ Aua

det310
07-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Hey all,
I know some schools let you start rotations once you have taken your USMLE I, before you get your results. Is this true? Also, at AUA do I take my USMLE I during my 5th semester or I have to complete the 5th semester and then take it. Also, after my 5th semster can I go live in any city I want and take my boards there. For example, can i go stay in Chicago and take my boards there? Thanks for all the help.

aedmd2b
07-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Yeah most schools will let you take the board and while awaiting your score will let you start a rotation. Some schools will let you finish that particular rotation if while you were doign and and a no passing score comes back during the rotation. Some will pull you from the rotation. I am not sure about AUA policy on that, but I do know that you must successfully pass the fifth semester to be eligible to sit for the board,because AUA will not certify your ECFMG application unless you finishthe 5th semester first. You can go to chicago and study for the exam and take it there if you wish.

AEDMD2B
AUA 3rd semester/term
December cometh and I am off this rock.

mardi_gras
07-25-2006, 10:34 AM
AUA requires you to successfully finish 5th semester before they will certify your application. You can take the test anywhere you want to take it. You can do 12 weeks of rotations while waiting for your score. AUA has pulled students out of rotations who have not passed Step 1.

jameslynton
07-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Can't tell you about AUA policy - However I can tell you that there are several locations for the USMLE in IL.

Search this website. Prometrics does the major medical tests including board certifications after you complete your residences. I was able to find a page full for IL doing the USMLE exam.

http://www.prometric.com/Default.htm

aminos
08-18-2006, 02:35 PM
how long does it take to complete the 5th semester? Is it the typical 4 months per semester, or shorter? Also, will taking time off to study for step 1 hold you back from graduating within 4 years?

sreec
08-18-2006, 05:56 PM
5th semester lasts as long as the four that precede it. AUA's program is 20 months + 75 weeks long, so the total time is less than 4 years. I think that you can take up to four months off and still finish in 4 years.

aminos
08-18-2006, 08:35 PM
thanks for the info...that clears things a bit. Good luck on your step 1!!!

det310
08-19-2006, 09:41 AM
So, if i start in January 2007, will it be possible to start residency 2010. When does AUA issue degree's; meaning which month. Thanks

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.