PDA

View Full Version : Fun Stuff

Mr.Doc
07-24-2006, 12:40 PM
Here's the deal... I'm gon be a new student in sept. and I love studying, but at the same time, I like to take some time off and relax after exams, or just on any particular evenings. Other than taking a walk on the beach or havin a drink with buddies, what is there to do? For instance, I like playing basketball, so is there a basketball court near by the school? does the school have a workout gym? or are they planning to have one? I like to be mentally and physically fit, they go hand in hand. I find workin out at the gym or playing ball very relaxing and it has actually helped me a lot with studying all through hs and college. If any students, can share in on this, it'll be really helpful. thanks..

aedmd2b
07-24-2006, 12:47 PM
There are lots of things to do here. There is a basketball goal on campus just about a 10 second walk from the gross lab. There is a gym right down the street from school and the owner works out discounts for the students and it is about a five minute walk at the longest. The guys get together for soccer,football,basketball ect on a regular basis. Also the is taster's night the date auction movie night. Also there is a movie theater downtown that gets all of the new releases the same time the states do. There is suba diving, snokeling a helicoptor tour, fishing all sorts of things to do.

AEDMD2B
AUA 3rd semester/term
December cometh and I am off this rock.

Mr.Doc
07-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Awesome!, that's all I wanted to hear. As long as there is something to do to take mind off books for a bit and to get the blood running and heart beating faster, I'm good. It's even better to know that there are others that share the same interest.

drtuby
07-24-2006, 08:34 PM
What? Only the guys get together to do things on the island? Please tell me the girls get together and do interesting stuff also!!

aedmd2b
07-25-2006, 10:33 AM
They sure do there is a beauty salon right on campus. The girls get together and play powder puff footbal as well as many other activities.

AEDMD2B
AUA 3rd semester/term

drtuby
07-25-2006, 02:00 PM
They sure do there is a beauty salon right on campus. The girls get together and play powder puff footbal as well as many other activities.

AEDMD2B
AUA 3rd semester/term

Ahh! That's cute! Too bad, I guess I'll have to miss out on that one! Is there 4x4ing? Fishing? The great outdoors?;)

jameslynton
07-25-2006, 02:56 PM
Ahh the great ourdoors - Yes - 4x4ing - I will miss that - will be trading it for a moutain bike. Now fishing - they have great shore diving and some really nice reefs and a few sunk ships around Antigua - I love to dive - I like capturing the fish on my camera.

but if you are fishing over where I am diving ... expect to get your line cut, or better yet what I did to some yahoo at an artifical reef off Tampa. They pulled up and dropped lines within 50 feet of our dive boat big mistake #1. With me on the bottom ... they dropped the lurers right on top of me mistake #2. I tied the lures to a cement culvert as they were reeling out line on the artificial reef. Then gave the line a good tug. When the line was good and tight in about 2-3 seconds - they made mistake #3 - when he was really pulling on - I cut the line with my dive sissors - since the water off Tampa is pretty turbid - I did not get to see the yahoo land backwards in the water with his pole...I only know what the Capt'n told me when I got back on board...hehehe

ladybug1983
07-25-2006, 03:33 PM
ooo, we could also go shopping.

mardi_gras
07-25-2006, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't count on doing too much shopping on the island - there aren't very many stores, they don't sell anything good, and they are waaaay overpriced. Besides, the school barely gives you enough money for rent and food, let alone shopping.

If you can, there is an awesome beach where you should go. It's called Darkwood Beach. It is a few miles past Jolly Harbor/Jolly Beach (if you are heading toward Jolly Harbor from the school). Once you get to the really sharp curve that if you miss, you'll end up in the ocean, it will be a few feet ahead on the right. There are some little places to eat on the beach. It is a beautiful beach and the water is bluer than blue. If I could figure out how to post a picture, I would.

If you go at the right time, you can find some great shells. Just don't get sucked away in the undercurrent - take it from me, that's easier said than done. You might also get some cuts and abrasions from being washed up onto the beach, and if you don't wear sunblock like I didn't, the combination of the 2 will cause much pain the next day. All in all, it's a great stress reliever and you kinda forget about everything else while you're there. I discovered this place toward the end of 4th semester and it was one of the few things that kept me sane. Heck, just writing this made me forget that I'm taking Step 2 in less than 3 days!!!

Mr.Doc
07-25-2006, 11:15 PM
I wouldn't count on doing too much shopping on the island - there aren't very many stores, they don't sell anything good, and they are waaaay overpriced. Besides, the school barely gives you enough money for rent and food, let alone shopping.

If you can, there is an awesome beach where you should go. It's called Darkwood Beach. It is a few miles past Jolly Harbor/Jolly Beach (if you are heading toward Jolly Harbor from the school). Once you get to the really sharp curve that if you miss, you'll end up in the ocean, it will be a few feet ahead on the right. There are some little places to eat on the beach. It is a beautiful beach and the water is bluer than blue. If I could figure out how to post a picture, I would.

If you go at the right time, you can find some great shells. Just don't get sucked away in the undercurrent - take it from me, that's easier said than done. You might also get some cuts and abrasions from being washed up onto the beach, and if you don't wear sunblock like I didn't, the combination of the 2 will cause much pain the next day. All in all, it's a great stress reliever and you kinda forget about everything else while you're there. I discovered this place toward the end of 4th semester and it was one of the few things that kept me sane. Heck, just writing this made me forget that I'm taking Step 2 in less than 3 days!!!
Thanks mardi_gras for sharing that with us. I'll for sure hit up Darkwood Beach when I get a chance. I'l also try out the food at the little places by the beach. From experience I can tell that those little places have very tasty food. Goodluckk!!! on ur step 2!!!!

Mr.Doc
07-25-2006, 11:23 PM
I have a silly question.. Does Antigua have all white sandy beaches? The reason I am asking is this because I've seen pictures of many beaches on the net that had white sand and when I visited them they weren't. Instead, they were this nasty brown sanded beach. So I'm just curious. I like white sandy beaches, I think they look very neat. Not that sand really matters to me very much anyway. I don't think I'll get enough time to lie on sand, to get a tan and be in a med school all at once.

hws1325
07-26-2006, 06:42 PM
I actually believe that it has white, pink, and brown ones..not entirely sure..but felt like thats what I noticed when I googled antigua beaches in google images.

jameslynton
07-26-2006, 07:10 PM
Does Antigua have all white sandy beaches? ....that had white sand and when I visited them they weren't. Instead, they were this nasty brown sanded beach. So I'm just curious. I like white sandy beaches, I think they look very neat. Not that sand really matters to me very much anyway. I don't think I'll get enough time to lie on sand, to get a tan and be in a med school all at once.Ha ...Score marks for Adobe photoshop....humm I have seen pictures of white sandy beaches at Hilton Head, Daytonia and the list goes on. The reality is they are more dun colored..

Tides, currents, storms and other natural factors cause the beaches to be white - brown - or even red or green (alge blooms - red tides) ... Most of the islands in that area are rasied karst beds (meaning limestone - with some sandstone) with some volcanic intrusions...

The sand is normally white in areas with limestone bottoms and reef structures. Due to the volcanes you can have browns and black sands depending on the type of rock in the volcano area. Where you have coral reefs you will normally find white sands also from the fish that feed off the corals (parrot fish). Since the east and south side have more coral reefs expect those beaches to have more white in them. Hope this helps.

jameslynton
07-26-2006, 07:19 PM
The Antigua area is on an active fault line and near a tectonic plate edge. Early last century a town of 30,000 people on an island near Antigua were killed in a pyroclastic flow from a volcano. The volcano also blew a good bit of ash out in the area around there. Normally the ash has a fine gray-white color which in time gets washed to the beaches.

Here is a link to the story

http://www.geology.sdsu.edu/how_volcanoes_work/Pelee.html

and also to a near by island

http://www.caribbeanvolcanoes.com/montserrat/geology.htm

Dakota
07-26-2006, 07:40 PM
The Antigua area is on an active fault line and near a tectonic plate edge. Early last century a town of 30,000 people on an island near Antigua were killed in a pyroclastic flow from a volcano. The volcano also blew a good bit of ash out in the area around there. Normally the ash has a fine gray-white color which in time gets washed to the beaches.

It's still very active! While we were on the island, just over a year ago, one morning everything in the apartment began to shake and did so for several seconds. We all expected the volcano Jameslynton is referring to to blow it's top. The quake hit Dominica a lot harder than Antigua as they had some damaged buildings. I don't believe anyone was hurt. Made for good conversation.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.