PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Step and Fifth Semester

Atrain97
07-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Hey I am currently finishing second semester and was trying to plan out what I am going to do when I get to Miami. My question is how long the time limit for you to take Step 1 is from the end of 4th semester? I have heard 6 months but I am not sure. The reason I ask is because I was considering taking the extensive Kaplan course that I believe is about 15 weeks. I know it was offered in Miami after when I would finish 5th semester which is nice because I could stay in Miami. I know many of you said that 5th semster and the regular Kaplan course was more than enough to pass the step but I would not like to leave anything to chance, I would also not want to pull a 190 and wonder if a 200+ would have been possible. Has anyone taken this particular course or would know if the school allows you to take enough time off to attend this particular course. Thanks a lot for your help.

jameslynton
07-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Ok - let me understand this AUA runs its own Step 1 review course - but you want to do Kalpan instead. From what I have heard your days during 5th are pretty busy learning the pre clinical stuff. Then you have a step 1 review in the evening. This AUA does for you.

Now about Kaplan - first - I am not a fan of them. I found their MCAT stuff to be the least effective material on the market. And if you check VMD right now and SDN and look at the current posts - many people are saying the Kaplan courses are out of touch with the current exam.

Try this link posted yesterday:
http://www.valuemd.com/usmle-step-1-exam-experiences/117242-omg-what-horrible-exam-jule-19-06-a.html#post477054

So much so that people are saying if you see a drug in the Kaplan q-bank - you will not see it on the USMLE step 1. Now this was not the case two years ago - but not now. Why waste your money on a course that may not help you achieve your goal? I also have heard via PM's with current step 1 testers that the Kaplan biochemistry and pharmacology books were not up the current step 1 test they took this month.

This is my .02s - you can take it with a grain of salt ot two. hope it helps.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.