PDA

View Full Version : Step 2 CS

Dakota
07-17-2006, 05:10 PM
What a fun 8 hours you're going to have with this exam. I thought step 1 was a breeze compared to this bad boy. You've got 12 patient encounters to look forward to with 15 minutes to get an H&P and an additional 10 minutes to write your note, give up to 5 ddx, and 5 tests/films/etc you would order to narrow your ddx. It's not hard, but it's long and you get a little freaked seeing the cameras, microphones, and two way glass :shock: . I was so tempted to moon the camera I could hardly stand it :evil: !

Goombilina
07-18-2006, 07:31 AM

Dakota
07-18-2006, 09:15 AM
I was told by AUA that students could NOT sit for Step 2 until all cores were complete. How were you able to take Step 2? Is there a way around this rule??

I was allowed to register after completing 36 weeks of rotations--which is how many schools in the Caribbean do things. AUA may have changed their policy since I registered.

Goombilina
07-18-2006, 09:31 AM

jameslynton
07-18-2006, 09:39 AM
Hey Dakota and Mardi_Gras - wishing you'll super success on getting past Step 2 CS with a great score then on to residence.

aedmd2b
07-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Well it may not be so much as a change in policy. The ECFMG decides if you have taken sufficient course work to sit for a step. Each school is given the responsiblilty to certify if the student is prepared. See what happens is you submit your application online ECFMG/OASIS you will get a responce from the ECFMG letting you know if the inofrmation submitted qualifies you to take the board. So for example if you apply for step 1 the ECFMG may say "based on our evaluation of your credits you can also apply for step 2 CK" if you have taken sufficient clinicals. So then you are sent a certification form to mail to your school. Now it is the school's responsiblity to certify the from and send it back to the ECFMG. After the ECFMG gets the certification back from the school and you have chosen your test date or dates and ther location of the center that you will take it, you will be sent your precious orange ticket. Now that it is really the ECFMG that allows you to sit for the board the school just certifies if you have completed the courses. Now true enough if a school won't certify the form even if the ECFMG says you are good then that is the school's policy and it has to be in writting.

AEDMD2B
3rd semester/term
December cometh and I am off this rock.

Goombilina
07-18-2006, 11:44 AM

aedmd2b
07-18-2006, 11:50 AM
No problem it was my mistake. Since I was not familiar with you posting I assumed that you were one of the cats either that just got accepted or still in basic sciences. Sorry for that but you know what they say when you assume you make an %$$ out of you and me. LOLOOLO. Any way if they are having a problem with step 2 fine you can put in a chaneg of information and I think there is a small fee attached and you can sit for step 1 pass it and go on to complete your core rotations and then sit for step 2.

AEDMD2B
AUA 3rd semester/term

aedmd2b
07-18-2006, 11:52 AM
Oh yeah soemthing just hit me inorder to take step 2 CS you have to have passed step 2 CK. Congrats that are very much deserved indeed.

AEDMD2B
AUA 3rd semester/term

Goombilina
07-18-2006, 11:53 AM

mardi_gras
07-18-2006, 12:08 PM
aedmd2b, you are so confused. The whole process does not work the ways you have explained. The only restriction ECFMG has as far as the order in which you take the exams, is that you cannot register for the CS until you have passed Step 1. However, someone has supposedly registered for the CS and that person has not passed Step 1 (I refuse to go into any more detail than that for privacy reasons). ECFMG will even allow you to take Step 2 CK before Step 1. You do not have to pass the CS before you take the CK.

As far as the application process is concerned, you apply through ECFMG and send the certification form to your school. ECFMG does not send you the orange scheduling permit until they have received your application and the school certification form. Once you receive your scheduling permit, you can choose your test date.

When I registered, AUA didn't have this rule that supposedly states you cannot take the CS until your core rotations are completed. If they have changed that, I don't know.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.