PDA

View Full Version : Semester 6-10

RAVINDERDHIMAN
07-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Hey sssup, i was just wondering what things do we cover in semester 6-10.

thanks

mardi_gras
07-16-2006, 09:42 AM
What do we cover in semesters 6-10? You're kidding right? It's clinical rotations - you see patients, learn medicine, and apply/make some sense out of the 20 months of basic sciences. Plus, you take 3 miserable exams - Step 1, Step 2, and Step 2 CS.

Dakota
07-17-2006, 05:14 PM
What do we cover in semesters 6-10? You're kidding right? It's clinical rotations - you see patients, learn medicine, and apply/make some sense out of the 20 months of basic sciences. Plus, you take 3 miserable exams - Step 1, Step 2, and Step 2 CS.

And that's the truth :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: .

Jameslynton you're the only one on this site that will know the show I'm referencing above!

RAVINDERDHIMAN
07-17-2006, 08:43 PM

Lol thanks, i didnt knew that.

jameslynton
07-18-2006, 09:42 AM
And that's the truth :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: .
Hey Dakota - yep - I remember that one - That does date us a bit. Sort of like Marty McFly watching the orginal I love Lucy in back to the Future.

mardi_gras
07-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Hey sssup, i was just wondering what things do we cover in semester 6-10.

thanks

Just thought I'd add something to what we learn in semesters 6-10, while I'm thinking of it. In addition to what I said in my earlier response, some students learn much different things than others.

What I mean by this is that some students learn how to be lazy, avoid seeing patients or doing any kind of "work," show up late or not at all, cheat, and learn how to suck up so they can get an 'A' on their evaluation. They also learn how to complain about the students who make them look bad by doing what they are told. These students often wonder why their grades are not as good as the others, and why their letters of recommendation are mediocre.

Other students arrive on time and do their share of the work, read/study so they don't have to cheat when it's time to take the test, and learn how to get an 'A' on their evaluation WITHOUT sucking up. These students also manage to get letters of recommendation so good that residency program directors faint when they read them.

Do yourself a favor and choose the second of these options. Not only will you appear smarter, but you'll make your school look so much better. Why do you care how your school looks, you ask? Because every time an attending has a bad experience with someone from your school, the school and every other student from that school will be associated with that bad experience. So, you owe it to yourself and your school, since they have gotten you this far, to be mature and professional while you are at your clinical sites. I'm not saying you can't have fun and enjoy your time there, I am simply stating that a large number of students I have worked with give all IMGs a bad reputation. Please keep this in mind and ask yourself what the repercussions will be if you do something inappropriate; don't ruin someone else's experience. We are all here to learn and every student deserves an equal opportunity.

RAVINDERDHIMAN
07-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Just thought I'd add something to what we learn in semesters 6-10, while I'm thinking of it. In addition to what I said in my earlier response, some students learn much different things than others.

What I mean by this is that some students learn how to be lazy, avoid seeing patients or doing any kind of "work," show up late or not at all, cheat, and learn how to suck up so they can get an 'A' on their evaluation. They also learn how to complain about the students who make them look bad by doing what they are told. These students often wonder why their grades are not as good as the others, and why their letters of recommendation are mediocre.

Other students arrive on time and do their share of the work, read/study so they don't have to cheat when it's time to take the test, and learn how to get an 'A' on their evaluation WITHOUT sucking up. These students also manage to get letters of recommendation so good that residency program directors faint when they read them.

Do yourself a favor and choose the second of these options. Not only will you appear smarter, but you'll make your school look so much better. Why do you care how your school looks, you ask? Because every time an attending has a bad experience with someone from your school, the school and every other student from that school will be associated with that bad experience. So, you owe it to yourself and your school, since they have gotten you this far, to be mature and professional while you are at your clinical sites. I'm not saying you can't have fun and enjoy your time there, I am simply stating that a large number of students I have worked with give all IMGs a bad reputation. Please keep this in mind and ask yourself what the repercussions will be if you do something inappropriate; don't ruin someone else's experience. We are all here to learn and every student deserves an equal opportunity.

Hi mardigras, once again thanks for your advice, i will keep in mind whatever you said. Very few people give rite advice, i guess you are one of them.

cheers

Dakota
07-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Hi mardigras, once again thanks for your advice, i will keep in mind whatever you said. Very few people give rite advice, i guess you are one of them.

cheers

If you are willing to learn and to work your butt off your attendings will treat you like an intern. You'll be amazed at all they will allow you to do. Even better, you'll get to see how pissed off the 'lazy' med students get because you're getting to do all the cool stuff :yeah: !

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.